PDA

View Full Version : Justin Tuck Talks About What's Weighed Him Down

Mr. G-Man
01-31-2013, 06:10 PM
i dont think any team would bite at that type of deal... and if so, we should move on from him after this year cause he's only getting worse. and i also believe its a horrible sign if he has a good 2013 season because that would mean he finally decided to play hard because its a contract year. i loved the guy since he was at notre dame, but he's lost whatever greatness he had.

slipknottin
01-31-2013, 06:11 PM
I dont think teams place that high a value on 30 year olds coming off a 4 sack season.

Rudyy
01-31-2013, 06:12 PM
No..no

Marvelousmik
01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Right now Tuck isnt even worth a draft pick. No offense

Drez
01-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Right now Tuck isnt even worth a draft pick. No offenseHonestly, I think you could find a team that'd be willing to give up a pick in the 3-5 range for him (given a contract extension, not many teams will give up a pick for a guy with only 1 year left).

RoanokeFan
01-31-2013, 06:29 PM
I think that ship has sailed

Marvelousmik
01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Honestly, I think you could find a team that'd be willing to give up a pick in the 3-5 range for him (given a contract extension, not many teams will give up a pick for a guy with only 1 year left).

Think about it like this. If you were another team, would you trade a 3rd 4th or 5th round pick for tuck? You're not going to get a draft pick for an older guy on the decline who has a shoulder problem.

Drez
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Think about it like this. If you were another team, would you trade a 3rd 4th or 5th round pick for tuck? You're not going to get a draft pick for an older guy on the decline who has a shoulder problem.There's a lot of stupid Gm, lol.

jomo
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
There's a lot of stupid Gm, lol.One less with Tannenbaum sacked.

RoanokeFan
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
One less with Tannenbaum sacked.

Bada Bing lol

Buddy333
01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Oh great. Wasn't sure there would be another thread that trashes Tuck today.

RoanokeFan
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Oh great. Wasn't sure there would be another thread that trashes Tuck today.

Who's trashing Tuck?

egyptian420
01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Definitely not

bearbryant
01-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Mrs. Tuck! Hows the family?

gmen0820
01-31-2013, 07:36 PM
Sure he is. You can't put a price on passion.

nhpgiantsfan
01-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Was this thread serious or just someone being a crap stirrer?

Cloud57
01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Tuck is worth an 8th round pick.

EJ Blue
01-31-2013, 10:31 PM
Sure he is. You can't put a price on passion.Are you being incredibly sarcastic?

BigBlue1971
01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Tuck is a favorite of mine because of his tenure with the G-Men his personality and his willingness to take on a leadership role but i wouldnt give up a 1st rounder for him!

a 2nd rounder may be hard to get for him at this point!

gmen0820
01-31-2013, 11:19 PM
Are you being incredibly sarcastic?449

Captain Chaos
02-01-2013, 05:13 AM
A rhetorical question, I don't think anyone was suppose to respond!

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 06:08 AM
A rhetorical question, I don't think anyone was suppose to respond!

In a perfect world, maybe

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 06:11 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22328/tuck-talks-about-whats-weighed-him-down

Excerpt: "Justin Tuck is motivated to get back to having a "normal Justin Tuck year (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22113/tuck-that-wasnt-the-real-me-in-2012)."

And the defensive end thinks it's time to block everything out and just play.

The Giants' defensive captain wonders if he has been too preoccupied with always trying to do everything the right way as a leader and player recently and whether that has affected his play. He finished with four sacks last season and has a total of nine sacks in the past two seasons after collecting 11.5 sacks in 2010.

"I played with Antonio (Pierce) (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2842/antonio-pierce), Michael Strahan (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/495/michael-strahan), a lot of guys that showed me the ropes," Tuck said on ESPN New York 98.7 in New Orleans on Thursday. "Every team is different. And it is hard to find that button to push with every team. I think to me, a lot of times you want to be so correct that it weighs you down and I think I’ve allowed that to happen to me the last two years."

Tuck takes his role as a captain seriously and is always concerned about how to lead, (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7306591/antonio-pierce-says-new-york-giants-need-show-more-fight) when to be vocal and what buttons to push.

"The next chapter for me is just saying I am going to go out and play," Tuck said. "And not worry about what people say and not even worry about the outcome. Let the outcome happen.

"The last couple of years I have tried to make the outcome what I wanted it to be instead of just saying go out there and give 100 percent and whatever happens, don’t have any regrets about it. I am not going to worry about what other people say because I know what I put into this game."

Last December, Pierce said Tuck has not been the same player for a few years now. Pierce, the former Giants defensive captain, won a Super Bowl with Tuck during the 2007 season." Read more...

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Justin Tuck sounds like a man that is afraid the Giants are going to Draft a Defensive end early. I would like nothing more for him to play like a Pro Bowl player again so that wouldnt be the case. All I hear is excuses from him

bigjeep
02-01-2013, 06:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22328/tuck-talks-about-whats-weighed-him-down

Excerpt: "Justin Tuck is motivated to get back to having a "normal Justin Tuck year (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22113/tuck-that-wasnt-the-real-me-in-2012)."

The Giants' defensive captain wonders if he has been too preoccupied with always trying to do everything the right way as a leader and player recently and whether that has affected his play. He finished with four sacks last season and has a total of nine sacks in the past two seasons after collecting 11.5 sacks in 2010.

"I played with Antonio (Pierce) (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2842/antonio-pierce), Michael Strahan (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/495/michael-strahan), a lot of guys that showed me the ropes," Tuck said on ESPN New York 98.7 in New Orleans on Thursday. "Every team is different. And it is hard to find that button to push with every team. I think to me, a lot of times you want to be so correct that it weighs you down and I think I’ve allowed that to happen to me the last two years."

Tuck takes his role as a captain seriously and is always concerned about how to lead, (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7306591/antonio-pierce-says-new-york-giants-need-show-more-fight) when to be vocal and what buttons to push.

"The next chapter for me is just saying I am going to go out and play," Tuck said. "And not worry about what people say and not even worry about the outcome. Let the outcome happen.

"The last couple of years I have tried to make the outcome what I wanted it to be instead of just saying go out there and give 100 percent and whatever happens, don’t have any regrets about it. I am not going to worry about what other people say because I know what I put into this game."

Last December, Pierce said Tuck has not been the same player for a few years now. Pierce, the former Giants defensive captain, won a Super Bowl with Tuck during the 2007 season." Read more...

what a load of gobblegook!

penguinfarmer
02-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Soooooo leadership has "weighed him down"? I would have been more comfortable if he had just said his facemask has gotten too heavy.

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
I think Justin, like Osi, needs to play better and talk less. As for Tuck's leadership role, I think he's always fallen short.

BlueSanta
02-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Justin Tuck sounds like a man that is afraid the Giants are going to Draft a Defensive end early. I would like nothing more for him to play like a Pro Bowl player again so that wouldnt be the case. All I hear is excuses from him

I have always been a big fan of his not just because he was good but because he led by example. He was always a "shut up and play" guy....until lately. With every word he says I can't help but think the choice for him as a defensive leader was a mistake. Great leaders do not feel burdened by leadership the way it seems Tuck is burdened.

Furthermore, this new microphone lovin' Justin Tuck is not the guy we all loved early in his career. Players age and lose a step, it happens to everyone. But not everyone searched out a microphone to make excuses to. Leaders do not do that.

jomo
02-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Is this ground hog day?

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 07:36 AM

+1 .... unfortunately.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
I feel bad for Tuck because his body is falling apart and that has to be a tough thing to accept. They talk about wanting to stop player injuries but a SCUMBAG like Flozell Adams can go out and purposely try to harm a player and he gets next to nothing. That cheap shot reinjured Tucks shoulder injury from college and it continues to give him issues

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 07:45 AM
None of us really know how Justin Tuck acts in the locker room but he has always come off as to nice of a guy to be the leader of a team or a Defense

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 07:46 AM
Or maybe what he is saying is that he just needs to just play and not worry about trying to lead the team. He has been a great player but he doesn't seem like the guy to go give a peep talk. He needs to just play and lead by example.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Would save $4 mil on the salary cap if they release him. Dead money only $1.8 mil

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Would save $4 mil on the salary cap if they release him. Dead money only $1.8 mil The Patriots would do it ,Coughlin wouldnt .If it was 8 million it would get interesting . With 1 year left on his deal U let him play it out. The ? is what do they do next year if he still wants to play and he is playing like this still

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 07:57 AM
None of us really know how Justin Tuck acts in the locker room but he has always come off as to nice of a guy to be the leader of a team or a DefenseAgree. He doesn't seem like a guy who can give a pep talk. When they won in 2007 he was quiet but so good. Didn't they say he is from a small town down south and he is fine just sitting in his yard. It's funny how people want him out of here so bad but they act like Rolle should be the captain because he talks a lot. Yet at the same time people are saying Tuck talks to much. So what is it? Both Tuck and Rolle played poorly this past year. So many on this message board have been saying Rolle should be the Captain. Why? Everyone seems to be saying Tuck talks to much but say Rolle is the teams leader. Why?

Sundown
02-01-2013, 08:09 AM
I hate to get all biblical here but this reminds me of something

Whoever of you desire to be first shall be slave to all. -Mark 10:44

Simply means a qualified leader is one who's learned to serve. Looks like Tuck hasn't learned to serve his teammates thus resulting in playing like ****. I think he may have figured out this concept and ready to serve his teammates.

giantsfan420
02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Justin Tuck sounds like a man that is afraid the Giants are going to Draft a Defensive end early. I would like nothing more for him to play like a Pro Bowl player again so that wouldnt be the case. All I hear is excuses from himmy thoughts exactly

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 08:23 AM
my thoughts exactly
I think Tuck has earned a little slack from Giants fans.

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I think Tuck has earned a little slack from Giants fans.It seems he is the most hated player on this board.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 08:26 AM
It seems he is the most hated player on this board.
I'm just a bit surprised. I mean the guy has been a great Giant.

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm just a bit surprised. I mean the guy has been a great Giant.People are saying he talks to much but want Rolle to be the Captain.

Toadofsteel
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM
People are saying he talks to much but want Rolle to be the Captain.

With regards to character I would have rather seen Blackburn as captain, but now i'm not sure he's even going to be on the team in 2013...

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
With regards to character I would have rather seen Blackburn as captain, but now i'm not sure he's even going to be on the team in 2013...
Is there something wrong with Justin Tuck's character that I don't know about.

gumby74
02-01-2013, 08:33 AM
in other news, dr pepper is the best drink ever.

Rudyy
02-01-2013, 08:34 AM
More talk from Tuck. Time to put up or shut up.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Look fellas, there is nothing wrong with Tuck and as for one person talking about Tuck making excuses, well get rid of that mess. Tuck has the wrong reason for his problems and a lot of you do to. Tuck and a lot of you seem to think that the schedule has nothing to do with the Giants problems but it does. Reults always varies with the teams you play against..

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
The schedule is the problem?

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
More talk from Tuck. Time to put up or shut up.It's the off season and he is just saying he wants to get better. You haven't hear any other player say they need to play better?

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 08:41 AM
The schedule is the problem?Yes. Lets look at the matchups. Tuck might be above a lot of O-linemen. Yet there are some who may be better than at what they do than at what Tuck does. Indavidual matchups always takes place. Then you have to look at the coaches scheming wich a lot of you maybe don't do. Yet some posters mentioned how offense are now getting rid of the ball faster. Another thing, a lot of you give our players too many props. Take the thread about Cruz. Some of you think he doen't deserve double digit mil a year. I agree on that cause of the other players we need. Other players can effect Tuck to cause football is a team sport. If you a DC or OC, you gots to know this and scheme. Sometimes you can't just rush 4 players all of the time. In every game coming up, the coaches and players have to study that team and learn the players week to week.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 08:45 AM
More talk from Tuck. Time to put up or shut up.
Well there aren't any games scheduled at the current time.

TheEnigma
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
It seems he is the most hated player on this board.

You can fall so far on this team with just one bad season in the minds of Giants fans. I'm wondering who will see a fall next season and become the new laughingstock.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
You can fall so far on this team with just one bad season in the minds of Giants fans. I'm wondering who will see a fall next season and become the new laughingstock.

Its the same as Webster. Webster was a top 5 CB in 08 but hasn't played close to that level since, and people are tiring of it.

gumby74
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM

2 bad seasons. He, like the giants defense was crap for most of last year also.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Its the same as Webster. Webster was a top 5 CB in 08 but hasn't played close to that level since, and people are tiring of it.

He was a top 3 CB in 2011 imo.

As for Tuck, for whatever reason, he's not performed the last two years well (barring a timely flourish at the end of last year).

He's most likely going to be on the team in 2013, so I hope he performs better.

My opinion is that he's a guy who doesn't play with a lot of passion currently. Whether that's from physical ailments, lack of desire for the game, or distractions from assumed responsibilities for his team mates is anyone's guess.

TheEnigma
02-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Yet guys like Rolle and Blackburn can play like crap but aren't ostracized on nearly the same level. Just don't understand the lack of consistency on the hate front.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Yet guys like Rolle and Blackburn can play like crap but aren't ostracized on nearly the same level. Just don't understand the lack of consistency on the hate front.You are right. If they can't help, then the D-line can;t and vise versa.

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:57 AM
Yet guys like Rolle and Blackburn can play like crap but aren't ostracized on nearly the same level. Just don't understand the lack of consistency on the hate front.Exactly!

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Yes. Lets look at the matchups. Tuck might be above a lot of O-linemen. Yet there are some who may be better than at what they do than at what Tuck does. Indavidual matchups always takes place. Then you have to look at the coaches scheming wich a lot of you maybe don't do. Yet some posters mentioned how offense are now getting rid of the ball faster. Another thing, a lot of you give our players too many props. Take the thread about Cruz. Some of you think he doen't deserve double digit mil a year. I agree on that cause of the other players we need. Other players can effect Tuck to cause football is a team sport. If you a DC or OC, you gots to know this and scheme. Sometimes you can't just rush 4 players all of the time. In every game coming up, the coaches and players have to study that team and learn the players week to week.Using the schedule as an excuse is just an excuse.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Yet guys like Rolle and Blackburn can play like crap but aren't ostracized on nearly the same level. Just don't understand the lack of consistency on the hate front.

I can't stand Rolle. He runs his mouth all day long (that does NOT make him a leader), yet he plays so far out of position that he's almost in a different zip code on most plays. A few highlights seem to mask his deficiencies for those who aren't paying attention but basically he's a high priced liability in our secondary.

Blackburn I have less of an issue with mostly because his deficiencies aren't from a lack of discipline, but rather a lack of ability. Despite being a great Rudy-esque style story, I'd very much like to see a more fundamentally sound and Tampa 2 capable MLB starting for us.

nhpgiantsfan
02-01-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm just a bit surprised. I mean the guy has been a great Giant.

Michael Strahan was a great Giant! Tuck has had 3 or 4 good years and now is nothing more than an average DE in this league. I hope he can turn it around for his sake. This whole speech to me, sounds like a guy screaming for the team to make someone else the defensive captain, so he can just worry about playing. I hope TC is paying attention.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Using the schedule as an excuse is just an excuse.All teams are the same in your book buddy333?

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Yea. I suppose. There are plenty of posters here that do not want Blackburn or Rolle on the team either though.

Blackburn at the very least has a tiny contract. So it's not that you can use the expensive thing against him like the others.

TCHOF
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Yea. I suppose. There are plenty of posters here that do not want Blackburn or Rolle on the team either though.

Blackburn at the very least has a tiny contract. So it's not that you can use the expensive thing against him like the others.

Everyone has a right to point out when players aren't performing.

I just don't get it when everyone is so quick to assume that a down year is due to the player not giving a full effort or not working as hard in the offseason.

TheEnigma
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
I can't stand Rolle. He runs his mouth all day long (that does NOT make him a leader), yet he plays so far out of position that he's almost in a different zip code on most plays. A few highlights seem to mask his deficiencies for those who aren't paying attention but basically he's a high priced liability in our secondary.

Blackburn I have less of an issue with mostly because his deficiencies aren't from a lack of discipline, but rather a lack of ability. Despite being a great Rudy-esque style story, I'd very much like to see a more fundamentally sound and Tampa 2 capable MLB starting for us.

Very rarely have I watched a Giants game and been thankful that we had Rolle on our team. I suppose you can appreciate the fact he has played multiple positions for us like a good solider should but he doesn't make enough plays in the backfield to warrant his salary or the fan love he receives. The only positive I see out of this guy is "At least it isn't Brown or Rouse!".

Blackburn is physically limited like you pointed out so we probably shouldn't get on his case too much but all the guy has to do is make one great play out of 50 snaps and everyone says he has a great game. Why are the goalposts pushed to the 5 yard line for him as if he isn't a functioning adult? You could argue that Tuck is physically limited at this point in his career but that's rarely mentioned or just brushed to the side.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:12 AM

I just don't get it when everyone is so quick to assume that a down year is due to the player not giving a full effort or not working as hard in the offseason.

Well tuck said himself before the 2011 season he was not in good shape.

But I tend to not get on Tucks case as much as others because I think he has never been the same player since tripped by Adams. I feel bad for the guy not being physically able to do what he once did.

nhpgiantsfan
02-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Does anyone else think it's sad that with 11 starters on defense, we can't even come up with one decent choice for Captain.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:14 AM

I just don't get it when everyone is so quick to assume that a down year is due to the player not giving a full effort or not working as hard in the offseason.You are so right. Some posters need to understand that all teams aren't the same either. Tuck isn't going to face the same type of player every week so he needs assistance. For example, some times he needs more in one game than other five games.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Very rarely have I watched a Giants game and been thankful that we had Rolle on our team. I suppose you can appreciate the fact he has played multiple positions for us like a good solider should but he doesn't make enough plays in the backfield to warrant his salary or the fan love he receives. The only positive I see out of this guy is "At least it isn't Brown or Rouse!".

Blackburn is physically limited like you pointed out so we probably shouldn't get on his case too much but all the guy has to do is make one great play out of 50 snaps and everyone says he has a great game. Why are the goalposts pushed to the 5 yard line for him as if he isn't a functioning adult? You could argue that Tuck is physically limited at this point in his career but that's rarely mentioned or just brushed to the side.

Rolle would be awesome (if still vastly overpaid) if he played the WILL backer spot for us. That's really all he's been playing his entire time with the Giants and almost all of his highlights are him playing that role.

Having said that, we seem to have a glut of WILL backers lately (Boley, JWill, Paysinger).

slipknottin
Does anyone else think it's sad that with 11 starters on defense, we can't even come up with one decent choice for Captain.
The defense is in transition. That's why.

They are getting much younger and veterans are going to be leaving in the next couple years.

Osi leaving this year
Boley might be as well
Webster, Blackburn, maybe tuck, all leaving soon after. Rolle possibly as well.

Most teams name a linebacker as the captain. But the giants have no stability at that position right now.

Buddy333
All teams are the same in your book buddy333?What does the schedule have to do with this? The entire NFC East basically played the same schedule.

TheEnigma

We have a few talented players but they are too reserved to play captain and the one guy who has the perfect personality (Blackburn) to wear the C on his chest is just too much of a liability against teams with good rushing attacks.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
You are so right. Some posters need to understand that all teams aren't the same either. Tuck isn't going to face the same type of player every week so he needs assistance. For example, some times he needs more in one game than other five games.

Honestly. What are you talking about? Tuck needs "assistance"?

He got single blocked against right tackles or guards all season. What better matchup could he possibly be given?

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:19 AM

He got single blocked against right tackles or guards all season. What better matchup could he possibly be given? I say there are only five O-linemen for a reason and do you know why I say that?

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I say there are only five O-linemen for a reason and do you know why I say that?

I honestly have no idea what you are saying. There are 5 OL because there are 6 eligible receivers every play.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:25 AM
I honestly have no idea what you are saying. There are 5 OL because there are 6 eligible receivers every play.Wrong. Guess again. Oh and I'm sorry, I said there are only five main blockers. Why I be saying that?

Rudyy
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Well there aren't any games scheduled at the current time.Obviously I meant next season.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Wrong. Guess again. Oh and I'm sorry, I said there are only five main blockers. Why I be saying that?

No. I'm right.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
No. I'm right.Tell you the truth you are really wrong cause there are up to five receivers that can go out to catch the football. Yet there is anothe reason why I said there are five main blockers.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Michael Strahan was a great Giant! Tuck has had 3 or 4 good years and now is nothing more than an average DE in this league. I hope he can turn it around for his sake. This whole speech to me, sounds like a guy screaming for the team to make someone else the defensive captain, so he can just worry about playing. I hope TC is paying attention.
Justin Tuck has been a heck of a lot more than an average DE.
I just don't get this comment and other anti-Tuck comments here.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Tell you the truth you are really wrong cause there are up to five receivers that can go out to catch the football. Yet there is anothe reason why I said there are five main blockers.

There are 6 eligible receivers on every play. That is the reason there are 5 blockers. Because there are 5 players on the field on every play on offense that can only block.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Obviously I meant next season.
My point was that right now, talking is all he can do.

Rudyy
02-01-2013, 09:37 AM
My point was that right now, talking is all he can do.I'm saying he's been doing that for a while now, he did it during the season. I don't have anything against Tuck, I like Tuck. I just want to see him play like the old Tuck instead of promising to be the old Tuck.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm saying he's been doing that for a while now, he did it during the season. I don't have anything against Tuck, I like Tuck. I just want to see him play like the old Tuck instead of promising to be the old Tuck.
Personally, I think his skills and physicality have diminished.
But thats a far cry from the Tuck-hate I'm reading here. When a guy gets older and can't play at the same level, especially when he's had the kind of success he has, that doesn't mean he should be the subject of this crap. It happens to all of us at one point or another. (it might even happen to me one day)

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 09:41 AM
We all do but it's the offseason and all they can do now is talk.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Personally, I think his skills and physicality have diminished.
But thats a far cry from the Tuck-hate I'm reading here. When a guy gets older and can't play at the same level, especially when he's had the kind of success he has, that doesn't mean he should be the subject of this crap. It happens to all of us at one point or another. (it might even happen to me one day)

Expectation > Reality = Hate

SweetZombieJesus
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Why does it sound like he is abdicating his leadership role? That's what I took away from his statement.

nhpgiantsfan
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I just don't get this comment and other anti-Tuck comments here.

I said he is NOW nothing more than an average DE. I said he was a good Giant, not a great Giant. And you have your opinion, but mine is that while he is/was a good player for us. I don't really think his name belongs with the list of actual greats that we have had on defense over the years. I've been a fan since the early '80s, so your list might be longer than mine, but, Carson, LT, Banks, Marshall, Strahan, were greats.

BuffyBlueII
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Agree. He doesn't seem like a guy who can give a pep talk. When they won in 2007 he was quiet but so good. Didn't they say he is from a small town down south and he is fine just sitting in his yard. It's funny how people want him out of here so bad but they act like Rolle should be the captain because he talks a lot. Yet at the same time people are saying Tuck talks to much. So what is it? Both Tuck and Rolle played poorly this past year. So many on this message board have been saying Rolle should be the Captain. Why? Everyone seems to be saying Tuck talks to much but say Rolle is the teams leader. Why?

I think it is because even when Rolle plays poorly he still brings it.He doesn’t get intimidated by anyone, especially rookie QBs. He plays with passion and keeps trying. I don’t think that has been the case with Justin Tuck.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I think it is because even when Rolle plays poorly he still brings it.He doesn’t get intimidated by anyone, especially rookie QBs. He plays with passion and keeps trying. I don’t think that has been the case with Justin Tuck.

I don't agree, but why does it even matter. You don't get points for trying. Either you get your job done or you don't.

Rolle could give 100% every play but if he doesn't get done what he needs to get done I don't hold him in higher regards because "at least he tried"

BuffyBlueII
02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't agree, but why does it even matter. You don't get points for trying. Either you get your job done or you don't.

Rolle could give 100% every play but if he doesn't get done what he needs to get done I don't hold him in higher regards because "at least he tried"

He doesn’t publically cry and claim to have nightmares about rookie QBs. He is constantly asked to play a different position. He was second on the team in tackles for 2012. He brings a good attitude out there. He doesn’t play poorly nearly as much as Justin Tuck does.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
He doesn’t publically cry and claim to have nightmares about rookie QBs. He is constantly asked to play a different position. He was second on the team in tackles for 2012. He brings a good attitude out there. He doesn’t play poorly nearly as much as Justin Tuck does.

Rolle is played down in the box and not deep because it minimizes his crap play deep.

His good attitude? Same guy who consistently ranted about coughlins coaching style and not being able to play where he wants? Yea he's just a treasure.

I honestly don't care about a players passion. I only care about them getting their job done.

Rudyy
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Personally, I think his skills and physicality have diminished. But thats a far cry from the Tuck-hate I'm reading here. When a guy gets older and can't play at the same level, especially when he's had the kind of success he has, that doesn't mean he should be the subject of this crap. It happens to all of us at one point or another. (it might even happen to me one day)I understand that, and if that's the case(which it most likely is) I have no problem accepting he's physically diminished. The issue is, if you KNOW you are incapable of playing up to par you shouldnt promise all of these things. That's all I'm saying.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 10:31 AM

This is incorrect.

Tuck doesn't give up 60 yard TD passes ... Rolle does.

Tuck doesn't call out the coaching staff when things don't go his way ... Rolle does.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

He got single blocked against right tackles or guards all season. What better matchup could he possibly be given?Slip thats GWAT.

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 10:43 AM
He was a top 3 CB in 2011 imo.

As for Tuck, for whatever reason, he's not performed the last two years well (barring a timely flourish at the end of last year).

He's most likely going to be on the team in 2013, so I hope he performs better.

My opinion is that he's a guy who doesn't play with a lot of passion currently. Whether that's from physical ailments, lack of desire for the game, or distractions from assumed responsibilities for his team mates is anyone's guess. U think Webster was the 3rd best CB in the NFL in 2011?

TCHOF
02-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Well tuck said himself before the 2011 season he was not in good shape.

But I tend to not get on Tucks case as much as others because I think he has never been the same player since tripped by Adams. I feel bad for the guy not being physically able to do what he once did.

That's exactly where I'm coming from.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I understand that, and if that's the case(which it most likely is) I have no problem accepting he's physically diminished. The issue is, if you KNOW you are incapable of playing up to par you shouldnt promise all of these things. That's all I'm saying.

I agree, but I think it's hard for players to accept that their bodies are in decline. Look at how many guys are essentially forced to retire because nobody will sign them. They still think they are capable of playing at a high level.

Amani Toomer was very upset with the giants org when they released him. They knew he was done but Toomer thought he was still a good player.

I can't really blame them for that though. This is their livelihood.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
U think Webster was the 3rd best CB in the NFL in 2011?

Yup ... totally underrated in 2011. Didn't hurt that with T2 gone in 2011 and us scrambling to fill that spot, he didn't get picked on quite as much but he was an island by and large.

But CWeb has a track record of being streaky season to season.

JesseJames
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
if the Giants choose to part ways with Tuck then he really screwed himself by his poor play these last 2 seasons because his market value is going to be hard for him to sell.

JB456
02-01-2013, 10:57 AM

I like Tuck and I also think he has been a great Giant but there is actually several reasons why people have started to hate on Tuck and give Rolle and Blackburn a pass.

1) Tuck is considered a team captain and he has be invisable for almost two years.
2) Tuck practically wore off all the skin on his knee caps going down on RGIII and giving him props.
3) Tuck doesn't exhibit high energy anymore and he looks disinterested. I like Tuck but this makes me rage...
4) Rolle seems more of a leader of this team and says the right things in the media and looks like he goes all out on the field.
5) Blackburn was sitting on his couch when the Giants called last year, he goes 100%, 100% of the time and people will give him a pass because he isn't the most physically gifted.

I'm sure there a many more reasons but it took me 3 seconds to come up with this list in my head and I don't want to list anymore because like I said, I actually like Tuck.

shane4177
02-01-2013, 10:58 AM
He does have alot going against him in regards to either finding a team that would trade or even staying with the Gmen. He is turning 30, his last 2 seasons he had 9 sacks total, nagging injuries, his cap hit this year, his lack of fire/motivation/enthusiasm. I love Tuck too, but when do you say enough is enough....after 2 years of low production........?

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM

He got single blocked against right tackles or guards all season. What better matchup could he possibly be given?

A pass lol

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 11:02 AM
if the Giants choose to part ways with Tuck then he really screwed himself by his poor play these last 2 seasons because his market value is going to be hard for him to sell.

I don't think they will release Tuck but it's not inconceivable and the same can be said for Bradshaw but Bradshaw can be an effective part of the running game in a reduced role and at a reduced salary. I'm not certain Tuck can be better than he was in 2012.

CowboysSuck
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Justin Tuck is soft. Shut up and play. love the guy, but CMON MAN

CowboysSuck
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Right now Tuck isnt even worth a draft pick. No offense

Can you please take the joke-of-a-QB Aaron Rodgers out of the #2 ranking in your top 5 qb's. Is that a joke?

TheEnigma
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I like Tuck and I also think he has been a great Giant but there is actually several reasons why people have started to hate on Tuck and give Rolle and Blackburn a pass.

1) Tuck is considered a team captain and he has be invisable for almost two years.
2) Tuck practically wore off all the skin on his knee caps going down on RGIII and giving him props.
3) Tuck doesn't exhibit high energy anymore and he looks disinterested. I like Tuck but this makes me rage...
4) Rolle seems more of a leader of this team and says the right things in the media and looks like he goes all out on the field.
5) Blackburn was sitting on his couch when the Giants called last year, he goes 100%, 100% of the time and people will give him a pass because he isn't the most physically gifted.

I'm sure there a many more reasons but it took me 3 seconds to come up with this list in my head and I don't want to list anymore because like I said, I actually like Tuck.

Some valid reasons here like 1, 3, and 5 to an extent but I'm not really sure about the whole 100% thing on Rolle and Blackburn. Have we really seen them on the bench to the extent that we get to watch Tuck? I'd say that Tuck's face and body language are just much easier to read than most players. He wears his emotions on his sleeve more compared to the other players on defense. His highs are something great to watch but it comes at a price with a low that's almost unbearable to watch. Maybe it's just because I see this season as a team loss that failed to meet most of our expectations prior to and don't feel any one player should take the brunt of the hate.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
A pass lolThe blitz is the assistance.

TCHOF
02-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Can you please take the joke-of-a-QB Aaron Rodgers out of the #2 ranking in your top 5 qb's. Is that a joke?

Where would you suggest that Rodgers be ranked?

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
The blitz is the assistance.

How does a blitz do any more for him than being single blocked?

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Yup ... totally underrated in 2011. Didn't hurt that with T2 gone in 2011 and us scrambling to fill that spot, he didn't get picked on quite as much but he was an island by and large.

But CWeb has a track record of being streaky season to season. No way I will convince u other wise but Id say at least 5 guys better more likely 10. Just off the top of my head Revis ,Sherman,Gamble,Haden,Ike taylor , Carr were all much better.
It was 1 of his better seasons. It was nowhere near the 2008 season.

BuffyBlueII
02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Rolle is played down in the box and not deep because it minimizes his crap play deep.

His good attitude? Same guy who consistently ranted about coughlins coaching style and not being able to play where he wants? Yea he's just a treasure.

I honestly don't care about a players passion. I only care about them getting their job done.

Antrelle Rolle gets his job done better than Justin Tuck. Doggone it, I like Justin Tuck and I hope he does come back strong but for the last few years, he has for the most part played without confidence and has been soft. Heck, it took Antrelle Rolle to call him out and voila, we had a damn good Justin Tuck back that became the Defensive Captain we needed for the last six games of SuperBowl run. We need that Justin Tuck back.

BigBlue1971
02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
i dont understand why Tuck is "headlines" all of a sudden! he should understand hes older and cant play to 26-27 year old standards any more!

hes making all these excuses now which imo makes him look a bit fearful about whats might happen in the future!

personally i'd like for the Giants to keep him but in a reserve role! i dont know if he will accept that but its the better way imo!

BuffyBlueII
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
This is incorrect.

Tuck doesn't give up 60 yard TD passes ... Rolle does.

Tuck doesn't call out the coaching staff when things don't go his way ... Rolle does.

Incorrect? When did Antrelle Rolle publically “curse the football gods” or claim to have “nightmares about RG III” or “publically state that he knew Eli would help them out and keep RG III on the sidelines?” He never did, Justin Tuck did.

Antrelle Rolle does give up big plays and is overpaid. However, he brings a heck of a lot more to the table at this time than Justin Tuck does. The guy plays with passion and gives it his all. I want to see Justin Tuck go back to playing with the passion we saw him play with at the end of the 2011 season. We all want Justin Tuck to come around. He was a big reason we won those SuperBowls.

Antrelle Rolle has put his foot in his mouth. However, he is man enough to admit when he was wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/01/antrel-rolle-says-hes-come-around-on-tom-coughlin/

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
How does a blitz do any more for him than being single blocked? How you know Tuck was beng single blocked all year? Even when singled blocked, the qb can still get rid of the ball even before Tuck makes a move. There are different kinds of blitzes and you can bring them in any formation at any location on the line. Some formations can have Tuck be off the line and come at the qb kind of late resulting in being untouched. When a DC calls the blitzes here and there, they can in bring in different typee of defenders coming at the passer to disrupt the play. Even if Tuck still had 4 sacks even if the defense blitzed, it can still be good long as the defense disrupt a lot of the offenses plays.

Now you have to really study football to know that you just can't blame Tuck but the opponents as well. Not all qbs stay at one spot like Tony Romo who moves about. You have to look at the game against the Skins where they had a mobile talented qb who gives them a lot of options that can make a pass play become a run play. You blame Tuck or even Osi but you can't blame them all the way.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I understand that, and if that's the case(which it most likely is) I have no problem accepting he's physically diminished. The issue is, if you KNOW you are incapable of playing up to par you shouldnt promise all of these things. That's all I'm saying.
Pro athletes have a very difficult time convincing themselves that this is true. I don't blame Tuck for thinking he can still play at a high level.

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

He "looks disinterested"?. What does one do on the field when one is "disinterested"?
This comment alone causes me to disregard anything else in your post.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Antrelle Rolle does give up big plays and is overpaid.

Nuff said.

TuckandRolle
02-01-2013, 01:12 PM
What a terrible thread.

jomo
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
How many times are Tuck and his agent going to run with this and must the media write the same story over and over and over again. This has to be at least the 5th similar story we've seen on here since the season ended. Very tiresome JT. Talk is cheap, play the games (unlike you've done most of the past 2 seasons).

pino
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
Jomo, I couldn't agree more.

jomo
02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
Jomo, I couldn't agree more.Honest, like most Giatns fans, I really like Tuck. He has been a warrior for us and I never blamed him for not being a leader. Everyone isn't cut out for that. Still, facts are facts and his body and perhaps spirit for the game are running on fumes. The worst thing he can do with the public is try and convince us that he's still got it while he's also trying to convince himself. It is a very bad look for a classy Giant.

BuffyBlueII
02-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Honest, like most Giatns fans, I really like Tuck. He has been a warrior for us and I never blamed him for not being a leader. Everyone isn't cut out for that. Still, facts are facts and his body and perhaps spirit for the game are running on fumes. The worst thing he can do with the public is try and convince us that he's still got it while he's also trying to convince himself. It is a very bad look for a classy Giant.Jomo, I think JT keeps saying it to try and convince himself. Like you as well as most NY Giants fans, I really like JT and hope he does come back strong.

jomo
02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Jomo, I think JT keeps saying it to try and convince himself. Like you as well as most NY Giants fans, I really like JT and hope he does come back strong.Hey BB I really like him and wish him nothing but the best. I just wish he would tell this story after the fact on how he recommitted himself to strengthen his body and mind and that resulted in a pro-bowl selection and super bowl ring in 2014. It is a much better story that way, when told after the fact. Otherwise it sounds like Darrly Strawberry telling us for 12 consecutive spring trainings that he's finally matured and found himself and is ready to make his mark with the Mets. Ugh!

Morehead State
02-01-2013, 04:37 PM
If there was a list of trashable Giants, Justin Tuck would be way down that list.

JB456
02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
He "looks disinterested"?. What does one do on the field when one is "disinterested"?
This comment alone causes me to disregard anything else in your post.

Good, hold your hands over your ears (or in this case, your eyes) and stomp your feet like a kid.

Many people can tell when someone is motivated and energetic. Many people, including Enigma agree with point number three. In fact, I can read Tuck's body language easier than reading a pop-up book. You obviously don't play poker or you would understand.

Also, what was the reason for his consecutive poor seasons?

1) His injury is worse than expected and he can't play like he use to.
2) He is disinterested and unmotivated?
3) He is too old to play effectively

If your answer is 3 or 1, why would you even want him back on the team?

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Again, don't get why it's so bad to say you want to do better next year. What else can they say now? It's the offseason for them and he is not the only guy in the team that has said this since their season ended.

jomo
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Again, don't get why it's so bad to say you want to do better next year. What else can they say now? It's the offseason for them and he is not the only guy in the team that has said this since their season ended.After 10 times hitting the media with the same story since the end of the season it is too much. No one takes it seriously. It is clear that he is trying to convince himself which rings hollow to the fans.

Buddy333
02-01-2013, 10:19 PM
After 10 times hitting the media with the same story since the end of the season it is too much. No one takes it seriously. It is clear that he is trying to convince himself which rings hollow to the fans.Do you think he is calling the media up just to tell them this or the media is just doing their job and we keep reading it?

JPP=BEASTMODE
02-01-2013, 10:32 PM
i dont think any team would bite at that type of deal... and if so, we should move on from him after this year cause he's only getting worse. and i also believe its a horrible sign if he has a good 2013 season because that would mean he finally decided to play hard because its a contract year. i loved the guy since he was at notre dame, but he's lost whatever greatness he had.So what weighed him down?

giant-4-life
02-01-2013, 11:25 PM
I never realised just how worn Tuck must be. maybe cut the fat off and let JPP be our future new -gen strahan

Redeyejedi
02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I just don't get this comment and other anti-Tuck comments here. Just because some people including myself dont think Tuck is much more than an average DE starter at this point doesnt mean we hate him. The proof is on the field he hasnt performed to the level this team needs or expects . His shoulder is a big part of it his body is breaking down. I love what Tuck has done over the years but if the Giants can replace him with a better player so be it

Morehead State
02-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Good, hold your hands over your ears (or in this case, your eyes) and stomp your feet like a kid.

Many people can tell when someone is motivated and energetic. Many people, including Enigma agree with point number three. In fact, I can read Tuck's body language easier than reading a pop-up book. You obviously don't play poker or you would understand.

Also, what was the reason for his consecutive poor seasons?

1) His injury is worse than expected and he can't play like he use to.
2) He is disinterested and unmotivated?
3) He is too old to play effectively

If your answer is 3 or 1, why would you even want him back on the team?

You can retort with all the pithy comments you want. There is no way Justin Tuck is "disinterested" on the field. That is a completely ridiculous contention.
And there is no way a fan could tell with "body language" that a player is disinterested either. To suggest to the interest of a player can be guaged by fans at the stadium or on TV is silly.

Imgrate
02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
You can retort with all the pithy comments you want. There is no way Justin Tuck is "disinterested" on the field. That is a completely ridiculous contention.And there is no way a fan could tell with "body language" that a player is disinterested either. To suggest to the interest of a player can be guaged by fans at the stadium or on TV is silly.You used to rag on osi because he would take plays off, now tuck can barely ever make a play and you back him up.. hmmm

bansaw
02-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Tuck should look into opening for Kleenex Spokesman imo

jomo
02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Do you think he is calling the media up just to tell them this or the media is just doing their job and we keep reading it?I don't know, that is a good question but if he told the story once about 5 weeks ago, why does it keep popping up in one media outlet or another every 7 days since then?
If this all came from one soul serching moment weeks ago, I would submit that the media IS NOT doing its job because they are conveying an improper context to us ie Tuck can't let go of this theme and is obsessing about it while trying to convince himself he's got something left in the tank.

primetime
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
What Tuck is saying is that his C on his jersey weighs 20 lbs and is weighing him down during games.

nhpgiantsfan
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
What Tuck is saying is that his C on his jersey weighs 20 lbs and is weighing him down during games.

That's kind of what I got out of it. I really think they should make someone else the captain, and tell Tuck to find himself.

Buddy333
02-02-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't know, that is a good question but if he told the story once about 5 weeks ago, why does it keep popping up in one media outlet or another every 7 days since then?If this all came from one soul serching moment weeks ago, I would submit that the media IS NOT doing its job because they are conveying an improper context to us ie Tuck can't let go of this theme and is obsessing about it while trying to convince himself he's got something left in the tank.Find it hard to believe he keeps calling these reporters to tell them he wants to get better next year.

JB456
02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
You can retort with all the pithy comments you want. There is no way Justin Tuck is "disinterested" on the field. That is a completely ridiculous contention.
And there is no way a fan could tell with "body language" that a player is disinterested either. To suggest to the interest of a player can be guaged by fans at the stadium or on TV is silly.

I have no intention of going back and forth so after my comment here, I'll even leave you with the last word if you like.

Justin Tuck was very close to retiring within the last two years and had to be convinced to continue playing. It seems fairly apparent to many, including myself, that he isn't hungry to play the game anymore and as a result, Tuck's productively has significantly declined.

jomo
02-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Find it hard to believe he keeps calling these reporters to tell them he wants to get better next year.If that is true the reporters are NOT doing their job by repeating old news as if it is new news.

TCHOF
02-02-2013, 07:50 PM

I agree.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I have no intention of going back and forth so after my comment here, I'll even leave you with the last word if you like.

Justin Tuck was very close to retiring within the last two years and had to be convinced to continue playing. It seems fairly apparent to many, including myself, that he isn't hungry to play the game anymore and as a result, Tuck's productively has significantly declined.

I dont think him thinking about retiring has anything to do with him wanting or being willing to put in the effort of playing.

I think it has far more to do with his body breaking down and his injuries such, as his neck, both scaring him, and constantly hurting him.

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I dont think him thinking about retiring has anything to do with him wanting or being willing to put in the effort of playing.

I think it has far more to do with his body breaking down and his injuries such, as his neck, both scaring him, and constantly hurting him.

I honestly think his concerns about his neck play a big part in the drop off in his performance. He acknowledged it in 2011, near the end of the season. If you worry about your neck in 2011, don't have it attended to after the season, it's not likely he's no longer worried about it.

speed3freak
02-02-2013, 09:48 PM
IMO, He has never been the same since FatF**k Flozell Adams tripped him and he hurt his shoulder.

And wasn't Martellus Bennet spouting off about signing his brother Michael from the bucs and how he is planning to lobby inorder to get him here? Is he a RFA/UFA this year? Is this a possibility at all?

RoanokeFan
02-03-2013, 06:43 AM
IMO, He has never been the same since FatF**k Flozell Adams tripped him and he hurt his shoulder.

And wasn't Martellus Bennet spouting off about signing his brother Michael from the bucs and how he is planning to lobby inorder to get him here? Is he a RFA/UFA this year? Is this a possibility at all?

All Bennett said was he'd love to play here with his brother

blueribbon
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Tucks just a another Giant FAT CAT this year. Let the other guy make the play attitude.

Mr. G-Man
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Tucks just a another Giant FAT CAT this year. Let the other guy make the play attitude.

thats what it sure seemed liked

jomo
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
I honestly think his concerns about his neck play a big part in the drop off in his performance. He acknowledged it in 2011, near the end of the season. If you worry about your neck in 2011, don't have it attended to after the season, it's not likely he's no longer worried about it.Hey, he should be concerned about his neck. That doesn't mean we need to pay him like it's 2007. What we are really paying for is production and in a perfect world, next year's prodcution not last year or 4 years ago. That means that Tuck is worth alot less to us next year.Hopefully he understands that and leaves us with some extra cash to reload another SB calibre roster.

Buddy333
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
He really doesn't make that much in NFL terms. Lets see what happens. Pretty sure he is just answering questions by reporters. If they asked him about next year and he said he's not sure how he will do would that make people happy? What else is he supposed to say? Didn't Eli say they need to play better too? Lol. Rolle made a comment and people want him to be a Captain even though he played poorly.