PDA

View Full Version : So when do you think the Giants retire good old #92?

BlueJayC
02-01-2013, 09:48 AM
If Strahan gets a first ballot election into the hall this weekend I say they do it the first home game next year.......any other guesses? Think that's too soon? Is there a standard timeframe for this kind of thing?

Also came across this article which says it may never be retired but not sure I buy that:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/strahan_facing_numbers_crunch_CVOqDT6ipUN5tm4BwMCD WJ

Drez
02-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't know if it will. There's only a limited number of numbers available. It's possible, but I won't hold my breath on it.

Diamondring
02-01-2013, 09:57 AM
A number is not a human so when the number gets low, being it out of retirement if they do retire it. I say they should.

BlueJayC
Yeah but that excuse kind of goes out the window because no one has worn it since.......it's not like they need it and have been using it. The guy wasn't a very good DE......he was the best the Giants have ever had and like LT took over games sometimes I think he deserves it and would like to see him get it.

nhpgiantsfan
I was there for #56 and I was there for #11. I thnk they were both prime time games. Simms def was, he threw a pass to LT at half time. I could be wrong about LT. For some reason I think LT was a Monday Night Game on Labor day, against Dallas. I could be wrong. All I remember is that the programs were sold out and I had to buy one from a fan who had a bunch. It cost me $50.

IMO, if the team felt that #11 should be retired without him being in the HOF, then they should def retire #92, assuming he gets in. It would be decades before they ever came close to running out of numbers.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 10:04 AM
They don't have too much to worry about with retiring numbers on the DL. LB is more of a concern

Rudyy
02-01-2013, 10:10 AM
We retire it when I say we do.

BlueJayC
02-01-2013, 10:11 AM
We retire it when I say we do.

Duly noted......just give me a heads up beforehand.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
If Strahan gets a first ballot election into the hall this weekend I say they do it the first home game next year.......any other guesses? Think that's too soon? Is there a standard timeframe for this kind of thing?

Also came across this article which says it may never be retired but not sure I buy that:
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/strahan_facing_numbers_crunch_CVOqDT6ipUN5tm4BwMCD WJ

They will absolutely retire his number.

When is a matter of choice ... I don't think there is an official time table.

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
They don't have too much to worry about with retiring numbers on the DL. LB is more of a concern

Only if our current evaluation of the LB position changes :(

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM

The reality is they can't retire every number. They are getting to a point where it will be impossible. I think the Ring Of Honor was a way to honor some players/coaches/owners without depleting the jersey numbers.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Only if our current evaluation of the LB position changes :(

They already have had LBs forced to wear numbers in the 90s because there are no 50s left.

And now with Osi leaving, if they get another DL who wants a number in the 90s there won't be any left unless someone takes 92

Drez
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
They don't have too much to worry about with retiring numbers on the DL. LB is more of a concernAnd if LBs can wear 90's too, then it might be that they won't retire Stray's in case they need it for a LB as some point.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
And if LBs can wear 90's too, then it might be that they won't retire Stray's in case they need it for a LB as some point.

Or it forces more of the DL to wear numbers in the 70s

Carter.525
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
should have retired it yesterday..

wuzpapn
02-01-2013, 11:36 AM
RAISE THE 9-2 MUHFU**AS

Toadofsteel
02-01-2013, 11:49 AM
I think that, in addition to the ring of honor, you have special "number" ceremonies for the players that REALLY deserve it for their contributions, but not necessarily officially retiring the number, just leaving it out for a while and re-issue it several decades down the line.

Drez
02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Or it forces more of the DL to wear numbers in the 70sThat they also share with the OL, though the OL has 60's, too.

DownWitJPP
02-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I don't care if the D-line has to wear numbers in the 30's (i know this can't happen) Strahan absolutely deserves his number retired. He's given a lot more then his play on the field to this franchise. My all time favorite Giant

Kruunch
02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
They already have had LBs forced to wear numbers in the 90s because there are no 50s left.

And now with Osi leaving, if they get another DL who wants a number in the 90s there won't be any left unless someone takes 92

And you almost got it. Dang.

nhpgiantsfan
02-01-2013, 02:22 PM
They are decades away from running out of numbers. If/when he get in the HOF, he deserves it. And let's be honest, the only other guy with a real chance of getting in the HOF right now is Eli. Anyone else that may have a shot on this team, is way too young to start talking HOF...

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
I think that, in addition to the ring of honor, you have special "number" ceremonies for the players that REALLY deserve it for their contributions, but not necessarily officially retiring the number, just leaving it out for a while and re-issue it several decades down the line.

They've already put his locker in the Legacy Room at MetLife

DownWitJPP
02-01-2013, 03:00 PM
They've already put his locker in the Legacy Room at MetLife I still haven't been inside the new stadium and I'm only 10 mins away

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
I still haven't been inside the new stadium and I'm only 10 mins away

SHAME ON YOU :)

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
And you almost got it. Dang.

I got it, no need to retire any LB numbers anytime soon.

slipknottin
02-01-2013, 04:22 PM
They are decades away from running out of numbers.

Well not if they dont retire anyone else, no.

But they dont have as many numbers available to retire that people think, especially not the LB numbers (50s and 90s)

jomo
02-01-2013, 04:32 PM
Will they retire his dental records? :)

RoanokeFan
02-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Just the uppers

Carter.525
02-01-2013, 05:06 PM

so your saying theres going to be a big gap till he gets in..

jomo
02-01-2013, 05:35 PM
so your saying theres going to be a big gap till he gets in..Nicely played Carter!

SweetZombieJesus
02-02-2013, 04:41 AM
A number is not a human so when the number gets low, being it out of retirement if they do retire it. I say they should.

This topic comes up every offseason (sigh). There are 100 numbers available (if we use 00) and a 53 man roster, with 11 retired. That means there are still 36 numbers we could retire. Right now that's taken up by practice squad, IR, etc. A solution to that below.

The franchise is almost 90 years old so we retire one every decade, on average. Strahan's 92 should be retired as should Carson's 53.

If people worry about running out of numbers, the best answer is to use non-official numbers (such as three digits, 156; or use alphanumeric numbers, like A6) when you are on practice squad or haven't made the team yet, and when you make the 53 man final roster you get a traditional 2 digit number. Problem solved for about 300 years or so.

As for unretiring a number, BLASPHEMY. It's there for people who left an indelible mark on the franchise, for all time.

nhpgiantsfan
02-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Our last HOF'er retired 20 years ago. Supposing Eli plays 5 more years, and it will probably be a couple more, Our next HOF'er, (if he gets in) won't be for at least 10 years. Who else on this team can be talked about with the HOF. Nobody yet..

Point is HOF players don't come around that often. They should be honored and there is a long way to go before we have to worry about running out of numbers.

Joe Morrison
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
No need to worry about it now!