PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl in GIANTS Stadium

jomo
02-02-2013, 10:11 AM
I think I'm in the minority with this position but I'm gonna roll it out anyway.

I think a bad weather Super Bowl is an awesome idea. Why is the "Ice Bowl" such a legendary game? Because of the beautiful weather and perfectly manicured field? I think not.

I think the media is leading the charge against venues like Met Life Stadium because they like the perk of going to a warm place every February and mixing vacation with work.

Granted, 100,000 or so fans could be inconvenienced by bad weather that week and on game day. They won't be able to golf and stroll around Manhattan in shirt sleeve.

Compare that to the 3 billion fans world wide who will marvel at players and coaches having to deal with one more significant element on the way to the Lombardi Trophy.

One could say that cold weather gives an advantage to teams from the north. Well doesn't warm weather advantage southern teams who are used to dealing with heat and their bodies are more acclimated to that?

I think that if the goal is to give maximum enjoyment to billions of fans watching the game, the potential for bad weather adds an exciting element of drama which is good for the sport. But that's just me.

DownWitJPP
02-02-2013, 12:05 PM
I agree...I love watching games in the snow and bad weather. It makes the game all the more interesting. This is FOOTBALL not indoor soccer or volleyball...suck it up. Some of my favorite memories as a child were playing tackle football with my friends in the snow..we had a blast.

People look at this game more of a vacation then what it actually is. I don't care if it will be too cold out and you don't want to sit outside, there is a simple
solution to that just don't buy tickets and watch it from your couch. I would be more than happy to take your place and have a blast in the snow, drinking beer and slapping ^5 with my buddies

the NFC championship game up at Lambeau where Coughlin's face looked like it was gonna fall off was one for the age's

Cloud57
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
The ideal weather at the SB would be a blizzard, tornado, heavy snow, a hurricane, and possibly a tsunami :D

ibbill
02-02-2013, 12:22 PM
agree Rain snow cold no problem. Not a fan of watching a game if there is 30 plus mile an hour wind.

nhpgiantsfan
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
I agree, it has a lot to do with the extra activities that come with the SB, no golf for all the celebs...

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
yall must be ******ed /flacco

jomo
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
The ideal weather at the SB would be a blizzard, tornado, heavy snow, a hurricane, and possibly a tsunami :DYou forgot locusts!

jomo
02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
yall must be ******ed /flaccoWhat do you expect from a fake Jersey guy. Those south jersey people all marry their relatives and root for the eagles. :)

a4gmen
02-02-2013, 12:44 PM
I disagree.Why should weather be a deciding factor in the outcome of the game? Why is football the only sport that needs to be played in bad weather? I would rather see the outcome be decided by the skill of the players giving their best performance.You wouldn't see a Broadway play in a blizzard. Why should football be any different?
IMO,they should have put a roof on Metlife Stadium.

primetime
02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Football was meant to be played in the cold.

jomo
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
I disagree.Why should weather be a deciding factor in the outcome of the game? Why is football the only sport that needs to be played in bad weather? I would rather see the outcome be decided by the skill of the players giving their best performance.You wouldn't see a Broadway play in a blizzard. Why should football be any different?
IMO,they should have put a roof on Metlife Stadium.Why should cold weather players be forced to play in warm weather which taxes their cardio vascular system differently? Maybe we should just wait on the game until everyone is healthy and in perfect form, that would give us both teams at their ever loving best.

Someone mentioned the NFC championship game against the Packers. Didn't the elements add a dimension which made the game more memorable?

keyofgmen
02-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Jomo,

In principle I agree, playing in horrible weather is football at it's best. But without natural grass to stain the jerseys and without mud to splatter the masks, the game is already tainted. Plus the SB is much more than a game. When at SB in Tampa, I just loved the whole atmosphere. Walking around in the warm sun was a vacation for me. The game sucked of course, but the 5 days soaking in the SB was awesome. Sitting next to Saragossa sitting at outdoor bar with 3 women all over him was hilarious, for example. Party everywhere staring right after breakfast. Just don't see it being the same in a cold weather area, especially if the weather is bad. Can you imagine the disaster if it just so happens to be a nor'easter that day?! Would be great TV to be sure, and I personally would love to be in my seats during a storm, but the corporate seat holders would leave the stadium empty and that would really look bad (maybe that would be a good thing).

jomo
02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Jomo,

In principle I agree, playing in horrible weather is football at it's best. But without natural grass to stain the jerseys and without mud to splatter the masks, the game is already tainted. Plus the SB is much more than a game. When at SB in Tampa, I just loved the whole atmosphere. Walking around in the warm sun was a vacation for me. The game sucked of course, but the 5 days soaking in the SB was awesome. Sitting next to Saragossa sitting at outdoor bar with 3 women all over him was hilarious, for example. Party everywhere staring right after breakfast. Just don't see it being the same in a cold weather area, especially if the weather is bad. Can you imagine the disaster if it just so happens to be a nor'easter that day?! Would be great TV to be sure, and I personally would love to be in my seats during a storm, but the corporate seat holders would leave the stadium empty and that would really look bad (maybe that would be a good thing).Well, I agree that an empty stadium would be a bad thing but it underscores the fact that so many people at the games are not core fans of the teams.

PS, not a bad idea to bring in some mud for the big game by the way, lol.

PPS, If I was going to get really radical I'd give the home field advantage to the team with the best record (in theory as you say). There would be no sitting players on week 17 anymore! It is impractical I know because of logistics and the NFL couldn't move all the PR apparatus into place that quickly. Still, imagine having a home SB with the regular season fans? Though impractical, it would be cool.

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I think I'm in the minority with this position but I'm gonna roll it out anyway.

I think a bad weather Super Bowl is an awesome idea. Why is the "Ice Bowl" such a legendary game? Because of the beautiful weather and perfectly manicured field? I think not.

I think the media is leading the charge against venues like Met Life Stadium because they like the perk of going to a warm place every February and mixing vacation with work.

Granted, 100,000 or so fans could be inconvenienced by bad weather that week and on game day. They won't be able to golf and stroll around Manhattan in shirt sleeve.

Compare that to the 3 billion fans world wide who will marvel at players and coaches having to deal with one more significant element on the way to the Lombardi Trophy.

One could say that cold weather gives an advantage to teams from the north. Well doesn't warm weather advantage southern teams who are used to dealing with heat and their bodies are more acclimated to that?

I think that if the goal is to give maximum enjoyment to billions of fans watching the game, the potential for bad weather adds an exciting element of drama which is good for the sport. But that's just me.

SPOT ****ING ON! It would be great to see them playing with snow falling. The amount of infrastructure improvements going on around the stadium is pretty impressive. They have a train station, direct bus service, helicopter pad. Gov. Christie is in NO right now gaining weight and getting a handle on what to expect. I am betting they will have NJDOT & NJ Turnpike trucks and private contractors on stand-by for any snow removal issues on hte major arteries and NJSEA will made sure the parking lot is cleared.

I wish I could afford to attend lol

Imgrate
02-02-2013, 02:08 PM
So when's the super bowl going to be in chicago? Having the sb in nyc sets a precedent and will give other team's ownership, and politicians looking to make more money for their city a reason to request a super bowl. Is the nfl really going to allow every nfl city to bid for a super bowl or is this the exception? I know id be pretty pissed if my city got overlooked and a cold weather nyc didn't.

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 02:11 PM
So when's the super bowl going to be in chicago? Having the sb in nyc sets a precedent and will give other team's ownership, and politicians looking to make more money for their city a reason to request a super bowl. Is the nfl really going to allow every nfl city to bid for a super bowl or is this the exception? I know id be pretty pissed if my city got overlooked and a cold weather nyc didn't.

This is THE test city. If we can make it work, the NFL will develop a laundry list of "have to's" for any other cold weather venue. Can you imagine the amount of money that will be dropped in the metropolitan area over a 7 - 10 day period by mostly happy revelers?

Jet-Blue
02-02-2013, 02:20 PM
If I can't get a Ticket, I'd be happy with a Parking Pass just to Tailgate!

GameTime
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I dont mind it at all. The only thing that will suck is if its rainy or really really cold. That will take from the experience and not add a thing.....IMO

BigBlue1971
02-02-2013, 03:23 PM
yea i agree Jomo! i have no problem with the superbowl played in a cold weather area especially Giants stadium!

i mean weather is a crap shoot anyway! look at the 99 superbowl in Atlanta.....

anyway they should alternate superbowls in all team cities regardless of where they are! play golf next week! lol

Buddy333
02-02-2013, 03:37 PM
So happy it's here next year and that there is no roof.

Cloud57
02-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Jomo, In principle I agree, playing in horrible weather is football at it's best. But without natural grass to stain the jerseys and without mud to splatter the masks, the game is already tainted. is there any stadium that uses natural grass? what about metlife?

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
I dont mind it at all. The only thing that will suck is if its rainy or really really cold. That will take from the experience and not add a thing.....IMO

We can just tailgate it. We've got the tent :)

Rudyy
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
If we make the Super Bowl, I say everyone from the boards meet up and tailgate. NO EXCEPTIONS!

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 04:57 PM
If we make the Super Bowl, I say everyone from the boards meet up and tailgate. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Everyone? :rolleyes:

gmen46
02-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Not a bad idea. Maybe not so practical, but not a bad idea. :)

Rudyy
02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Everyone? :rolleyes:Lol, what are you trying to say?!

Rudyy
02-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Not a bad idea. Maybe not so practical, but not a bad idea. :)We'll make it happen. You have to buy all the alcohol and food though.

gmen0820
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Lol, what are you trying to say?!Everyone

minus Rudy

Rudyy
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Everyone minus myselfOh, true.

gmen0820
02-02-2013, 05:26 PM
http://biobreak.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/lowblow.jpg

jomo
02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
If we make the Super Bowl, I say everyone from the boards meet up and tailgate. NO EXCEPTIONS!I'm in Rudyy!
And I will cover the food or alcohol...............on second thought, I take care of the food, I know this group lol

DownWitJPP
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
we should try to do this during a few games every year. Even if we don't have tickets to the game the tailgating would be awesome

Rudyy
02-02-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm in Rudyy!And I will cover the food or alcohol...............on second thought, I take care of the food, I know this group lolLOL!

GameTime
02-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm in Rudyy!
And I will cover the food or alcohol...............on second thought, I take care of the food, I know this group lol
you'll go broke on the food too...lol

GameTime
02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
We can just tailgate it. We've got the tent :)
I am in.... I hope they let people in the lot who dont have tix and just want to tailgate.....

DownWitJPP
02-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I am in.... I hope they let people in the lot who dont have tix and just want to tailgate.....

prob will have to buy a parking pass that will cost as much as a normal game ticket or more

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 08:40 PM

You know they will have parking passes on sale at Ticketmaster, et al.