PDA

View Full Version : Interesting convo with my dad

giant-4-life
02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
We were discussing our cap issue and one thing my dad mentioned was, we are paying way too much for our players.

if we lose Cruz, I'll bet he might end up in a Patriot uniform. But no player is worth jeopardizing a teams cap space. I don't care how good you are. I like the kid but money talks in more ways then one.Sorry if this sounds crazy or whatever but we have to think about the team.

I think we got cruz as an undrafted free agent so that tells me, we have a great scout team and they will find another cruz/smith.

jomo
02-02-2013, 07:49 PM
We were discussing our cap issue and one thing my dad mentioned was, we are paying way too much for our players.

if we lose Cruz, I'll bet he might end up in a Patriot uniform. But no player is worth jeopardizing a teams cap space. I don't care how good you are. I like the kid but money talks in more ways then one.Sorry if this sounds crazy or whatever but we have to think about the team.

I think we got cruz as an undrafted free agent so that tells me, we have a great scout team and they will find another cruz/smith.The salary cap has to capture the entire team, not just a few players. It is true that if we can't work him into the greater good, then ................. it's just business.

WiIdcat
02-02-2013, 07:57 PM

I think we got cruz as an undrafted free agent so that tells me, we have a great scout team and they will find another cruz/smith.

Or that tells you we got lucky... There are thousands of players each year so there is no way to accurately predict how everyone will do. That's why players like Cruz slip through the cracks. He has elite ball skills and playmaking ability. Add to that his great athleticism and and you get a guy who will consistently produce 1000 yard seasons. I'd say the Giants scouting on WRs has been pretty mediocre honestly. Cruz was a lucky find and Nicks was a first so he should be good. How bout Barden, Moss, Jernigan, etc. Haven't shown much. Cruz is a must sign.

Flip Empty
02-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Or that tells you we got lucky... There are thousands of players each year so there is no way to accurately predict how everyone will do. That's why players like Cruz slip through the cracks. He has elite ball skills and playmaking ability. Add to that his great athleticism and and you get a guy who will consistently produce 1000 yard seasons. I'd say the Giants scouting on WRs has been pretty mediocre honestly. Cruz was a lucky find and Nicks was a first so he should be good. How bout Barden, Moss, Jernigan, etc. Haven't shown much. Cruz is a must sign.
Indeed. I'm not sure why they have the reputation they do when it comes to sifting out bargains, they really haven't been that good of late. More misses than hits.

giant-4-life
02-02-2013, 08:58 PM
he (my pop) thinks it is sad how the league has become a platform for prima donnas.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Indeed. I'm not sure why they have the reputation they do when it comes to sifting out bargains, they really haven't been that good of late. More misses than hits.

Because they are better at it than nearly every other team.

G-Men Surg.
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I do see it differently about the salaries some Giants players are making . If you go back and look into the original contracts they seem fairly team-player friendly, fair enough for both parties but the hole he Giants are in at this moment cap salary wise is the restructuring in recent years some players have made back loading their contract of course by request of the FO. I had the idea for years that the Giants franchise gave fair contract to their players not breaking the bank with any particular player and spread the wealth wisely around their roster but again this last years have killed the Giants salary wise back loading lots of contracts making it difficult to manuever thru free agency and the draft . IMO it starts this year. Reese has to make tough decisions trimming the fat and strart to eat away some of that cap money if he wants to maintain a competitive team , windows close fast in this business, Reese knows this and will do what it takes to fix this mess.

Flip Empty
02-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Because they are better at it than nearly every other team.
Examples? The latter halves of Reese's drafts have been fairly rubbish.

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Examples? The latter halves of Reese's drafts have been fairly rubbish.

Find me a team that has good late round draft picks. Not one or two good players that were late picks, but finds multiple good players late in drafts constantly.

gmen0820
02-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I'll bet he might end up in a Patriot uniform. Talk about a confident prediction lol

Flip Empty
02-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Find me a team that has good late round draft picks. Not one or two good players that were late picks, but finds multiple good players late in drafts constantly.
You respond to my request for examples with... a request for examples?

slipknottin
02-02-2013, 10:16 PM
You respond to my request for examples with... a request for examples?

I cant prove a negative.

You think the giants late draft picks are worse than most other teams, so go show what other teams are better at them.

I mean if you have some idea of what teams are doing so well with them then let me know, Ill go through all of the data myself.