PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worried about Eli and the passing game?

buddy33
12-25-2011, 10:41 AM
The last two games they did not look so hot in the passing game. Both dropped and inaccurate passes have stalled their passing game. Considering they don't run the ball very well I think that is a major concern for next week.

NYGiants2120
12-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Im not worried but yes i have noticed it.... No ballard or manningham didn't help and yesterday Eli and his WRs weren't on the same page on a few routes... hopefully hes better against the Boys cause we'll need em

gmen0820
12-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I just want to see power football. I just hope our OL and RBs are fired up for this game.

Joe Morrison
12-25-2011, 10:47 AM
The only one worried about Eli and his game in Rob Ryan and the Dallas Cowboys!

jakegibbs
12-25-2011, 10:50 AM
The last two games they did not look so hot in the passing game. Both dropped and inaccurate passes have stalled their passing game. Considering they don't run the ball very well I think that is a major concern for next week.

Nope they will light up the Cowboys for @ least 4 TD passes. Nicks will have a breakout game with the double coverage they will have on Cruz. They will not let Cruz beat them that's for sure.

The D is now ALL IN according to their defensive captain J Tuck.

comebacktiki
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Last few weeks, Eli has faced decent secondaries, I am not worried at all.

GMENAGAIN
12-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Last few weeks, Eli has faced decent secondaries, I am not worried at all.</P>

+1 </P>

He faced two decent secondaries with a depleted receiving corps (depleted at least this week)</P>

BigBlue1971
12-25-2011, 11:01 AM
The last two games they did not look so hot in the passing game. Both dropped and inaccurate passes have stalled their passing game. Considering they don't run the ball very well I think that is a major concern for next week.</P>

</P>

if we lost yesterday i think the concern would be easier to understand, but it was a win so i look forward to see what happens next Sunday. they have some time to correct the mistakes.</P>

Nicks, Barden and/or Beckum didnt help the cause but again the win takes some of the pressure off.</P>

Elis trust at this point is mainly in Cruz. i do expect the passing game to open up with Nicks again being a primary focus.</P>

bigblue58
12-25-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not worried at all. Eli's throws were all right there, the Jets secondary just did a great job in coverage. Even Eli's pick was off another deflection, not thrown right at a defender. He'll have his guys ready and at the top of their game against Dallas next week.
My bigger concern is Nicks and his sudden inability to catch a ball.

buddy33
12-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Nicks will be fine. He is an excellent WR that had a bad day but also helps open up things for guys like Cruz. Manningham gets a lot of hate in this board but he too is a gifted WR. I hope he is healthy next week. No Ballard was a concern yesterday and might be this week as well. Hopefully he too is able to play:

jomo
12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
No

TuckYou
12-25-2011, 11:28 AM
This is what really worries me...</P>

11 INTs in the past 8 games. 8 straight games with at least 1 INT.</P>

Turnovers will kill this team. Earlier in the year, Eli was making better decisions. Taking sacks instead of forcing it. Throwing it away. Ect. We wont win in the playoffs vs GB or the Saints turning it over. Must control the clock. Must run more and play the style and schemes we did on defense vs the Pats and Jets all the time. Man v Man, blitzing often. </P>

ibbill
12-25-2011, 11:31 AM

No its the weather we are going to face at 8.30 at night is what I am concerned with.

buddy33
12-25-2011, 11:41 AM

No its the weather we are going to face at 8.30 at night is what I am concerned with.

Right now it looks like its going to be a cold but dry night.

bigblue58
12-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Turnovers will kill this team. Earlier in the year, Eli was making better decisions. Taking sacks instead of forcing it. Throwing it away. Ect. We wont win in the playoffs vs GB or the Saints turning it over. Must control the clock. Must run more and play the style and schemes we did on defense vs the Pats and Jets all the time. Man v Man, blitzing often. </P>

Cmon man....even great QB's throw picks, but in the end, he now makes more good decisions than bad ones........... and he always puts the Giants in a position to win.
Drew Brees throws a lot of picks too, but I don't hear fans or the media talking about them or worrying about him.
How many people are even aware that Brees had 23 INT's last season to Eli's 25???

Down-lifer
12-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Last few weeks, Eli has faced decent secondaries, I am not worried at all.</P>

+1 </P>

He faced two decent secondaries with a depleted receiving corps (depleted at least this week)</P>+1... Not to mention Nicks has played awful and he has hurt the passing game by himself. He's been pathetic!

Drez
12-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Cmon man....even great QB's throw picks, but in the end, he now makes more good decisions than bad ones........... and he always puts the Giants in a position to win. Drew Brees throws a lot of picks too, but I don't hear fans or the media talking about them or worrying about him. How many people are even aware that Brees had 23 INT's last season to Eli's 25???</P>

And Brees has thrown for 15 or more interceptions in all but two or three seasons as a fulltime starter.</P>

But, there's many excuses for that... He throws more (so has a lower att:int rate... interestingly, no one mention how this means he has a lower att:td rate). He's earned more leeway in the media, etc., etc., etc.</P>

ibbill
12-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Last few weeks, Eli has faced decent secondaries, I am not worried at all.</p>

+1 </p>

He faced two decent secondaries with a depleted receiving corps (depleted at least this week)</p>+1... Not to mention Nicks has played awful and he has hurt the passing game by himself. He's been pathetic!

After his blunders in the Washington game seemed like he got it back together. Nope I was wrong he stunk it up against the Jets

TheReal_LT
12-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Last few weeks, Eli has faced decent secondaries, I am not worried at all.

Not to mention the change in the O-line and Manningham and Ballard not playing

Sarcasman
12-25-2011, 02:02 PM

Yes. Perhaps it's relativity but the offense was clearly in synch earlier in the year and seems to be somewhat out of sync since the Patriots game.

Given the crappy offensive line play and the poor running game and ****ty defense, I'm very concerned that they can not (Or choose not to) run a ball control power offense.

I frankly think it's a requirement if they're going anywhere this year. You can not keep putting that defense out on the field and expect good things to occur. It's unrealistic..

FlyingTruck
12-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Nope. We didn't have Ballard or Mannigham. It should return against the Cowboys..(and hopefully into the playoffs!)

Sarcasman
12-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Cmon man....even great QB's throw picks, but in the end, he now makes more good decisions than bad ones........... and he always puts the Giants in a position to win.
Drew Brees throws a lot of picks too, but I don't hear fans or the media talking about them or worrying about him.
How many people are even aware that Brees had 23 INT's last season to Eli's 25???

That's all true, but for this team there's an additional issue.

The offense needs to be responsible for more than 50% of the success in order for this team to have a chance against good teams (ie: not the Jets).

The offense has to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible and they frankly have done a poor job of that in the second half of the season.

g_menfan80
12-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm not worried but I am very concerned about the weather. We don't have the running game to lean on. Baas back in at center has me pessimistic about the running game going forward. The Cowgirl's will have a banged up qb and running game in the cold, so they should struggle. I just want no wind so Eli can light up the Cowgirls D again!

TroyArcher
12-25-2011, 02:37 PM

I didn't see too many inaccurate passes. Way too many drops. My concern is if Manningham and Ballard don't come back.

RobCarpenter
12-25-2011, 03:58 PM
The only one worried about Eli and his game in Rob Ryan and the Dallas Cowboys!</P>

You got tha right!</P>

Firenugget
12-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Not worried but I'd like to see some short routes, slants, etc early to get them in some type of rhythm. This run once and chuck a couple down the field to start the game probably isn't the best idea.

scf424
12-25-2011, 08:10 PM
No, Eli's never been good against Haslett's defense in Washington, and the Jets have one of the better corner tandems in the NFL.

Next week we'll see an improvement, although I hope we win it with the run game.

I'd love to see Jacobs/Bradshaw get 25-30 carries.

jax5338
12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
im concerned that eli is losing confidence in everyone but cruz with all the drops going on lately. what is up with nicks? he cant catch a cold lately. theyve dropped like 4-5 potential TD passes the past 2 games. barden and beckum missed some too yesterday. no QB should have as many drops and picks eli has gotten the past 2 seasons.

gmen46
12-25-2011, 09:25 PM
No, Eli's never been good against Haslett's defense in Washington, and the Jets have one of the better corner tandems in the NFL.

Next week we'll see an improvement, although I hope we win it with the run game.

I'd love to see Jacobs/Bradshaw get 25-30 carries.

Well, that all depends on how well the defense does, doesn't it?

No coincidence that the defense held Jets to only 7 points until late in the game, and we ran the ball 26 times vs 27 pass attempts.

That was maybe only the second game all year we were able to have near equal carries and pass attempts.

Our run game, I think you'll agree, has been much better the last 4 games, with improved yards per carry.

I was surprised, frankly, we didn't run the ball more vs Washington last week, because all backs were running well, we ave 5 yds per carry (or close), and we were never so far behind that we needed to forego the run when we did, in my opinion,

But it's very difficult to have the discipline to stay with the run in the 4th qtr when you're behind in the 4th qtr.

If we jump ahead of Dallas in the first half, we will definitely see more of the run game, as we did yesterday.

I agree with you, I hope we see near 30 carries.

buddy33
12-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Well Jacobs loves to play against Dallas and they are scared of him.

Big game this week and I think they should let Jacobs pound them.

NY_Eli
12-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Not worried. Nicks is a little off but he'll get his act together. Manningham should be back soon. On top of that, Redskins and Jets have great pass defenses.

GCGiant
12-26-2011, 05:38 AM
The offense has to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible and they frankly have done a poor job of that in the second half of the season.

I'm going to repectfully disagree with that statement. The offense's job is to score points...no matter how long it takes or doesn't take.

The defense's job is to get the other team's offense off the field...and they have done a poor job of doing this ALL season.

Antwuan
12-26-2011, 07:24 AM
No im not worried.

We were without Manningham and Ballard. 3 weeks ago Eli threw for 400 Yards on the Cowboys and the Cowboys secondary is not better than the Jets. Im not worried about the passing game. Although the running game has been better im still a bit worried, in the first half we only had 6 yards rushing all of the rest of the yards came in the 2nd half. Hopefully the running game can continue to play better.

buddy33
12-26-2011, 07:24 AM

I'm going to repectfully disagree with that statement. The offense's job is to score points...no matter how long it takes or doesn't take.

The defense's job is to get the other team's offense off the field...and they have done a poor job of doing this ALL season.

Yeah but the league is designed to help offenses now and when a team is on their 10th different CB and are using rookie LB's because if injury they need their offense to help them out as much as possible.

GCGiant
12-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Yeah but the league is designed to help offenses now and when a team is on their 10th different CB and are using rookie LB's because if injury they need their offense to help them out as much as possible.

I understand what you guys are saying...and if you have the tools to help the defense, then you definitely use them. A good running game certainly helps, which so far we have not had anything to write home about.

With that in mind, our offense has to concern itself with how to go about gaining yards and more importantly scoring points. If the running game is not effective at all, but at the same time you are hitting a relatively high percentage of long balls compared to the league average, then you go with what got you to the dance, so to speak.

JMO, of course.

buddy33
12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Right, the offense has the job of scoring. That is why when the defense does create a TO, like in the second Eagles game and the second Washington game, or they do force punts from a power house offense, like Green Bay, the offense needs to capitalize.

Captain Chaos
12-26-2011, 09:00 AM
This week he didn't have Ballard and Manningham, think that they would have helped out a bunch, particularly Ballard over the middle. I think they score a bunch next week.

Drez
12-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Right, the offense has the job of scoring. That is why when the defense does create a TO, like in the second Eagles game and the second Washington game, or they do force punts from a power house offense, like Green Bay, the offense needs to capitalize.</P>

However, the onus is on the defense to do that more than once or twice a game.</P>

The defense definitely came through against the Jets, and it's about the only time they have all season.</P>

buddy33
12-26-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm no saying they have been playing great defense, but in the second Eagles game they had 3 interceptions, in the Green Bay game they forced more than just 1 or 2 punts and had the refs working against the entire team, and in the second Washington game they had 2 interceptions.

Drez
12-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm no saying they have been playing great defense, but in the second Eagles game they had 3 interceptions, in the Green Bay game they forced more than just 1 or 2 punts and had the refs working against the entire team, and in the second Washington game they had 2 interceptions.</P>

We put more than enough points on the board to win the GB game. The defense has to prevent a team from going 68 yards in 20 seconds.</P>

We only forced the Redskins to punt twice... I'm not saying the offense played great in that game. They didn't. No one did. However, it's unrealistic to think that the offense has to/can score on every possession.</P>

Even as poorly as the offense played in the second Philly game, the defense didn't play nearly as well as the box score would tell you. Letting VY go 18 plays in roughly 9 minutes was disgraceful, particularly after we just tied the game up.</P>

Yes, the offense has played a couple of stinkers this season. But, overall, they've been the reason we're in contention right now.</P>

At the end of the day, I'm more worried about the defense than I am the offense. Even though the offense may sputter at times, the defense has shown that it's capable of not even showing up for a game.</P>

jomo
12-26-2011, 09:43 AM
No

Sarcasman
12-26-2011, 10:19 AM

No argument from me, of course what you state is correct.

The problem is that it is not the reality today. The defense clearly needs the additional help and given how many years the shoe was on the other foot I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the offense to carry more of the load as the defense has done for many, many years. I mean decades.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of the reality of the team today and what is needed to try to win games. The more the defense plays, the worse it is for the Giants chances.

Sarcasman
12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Right, the offense has the job of scoring. That is why when the defense does create a TO, like in the second Eagles game and the second Washington game, or they do force punts from a power house offense, like Green Bay, the offense needs to capitalize.

Exactly. And most of the TOs this year haven't been created, they've simply been gifts. The offense needs to convert that to points and ideally, they need to take their time doing so, so the defense doesn't have to go back on the field.

It never makes sense to put your weakest link on the field for one second longer than they need to be out there.

Sarcasman
12-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm no saying they have been playing great defense, but in the second Eagles game they had 3 interceptions, in the Green Bay game they forced more than just 1 or 2 punts and had the refs working against the entire team, and in the second Washington game they had 2 interceptions.</P>

We put more than enough points on the board to win the GB game. The defense has to prevent a team from going 68 yards in 20 seconds.</P>

We only forced the Redskins to punt twice... I'm not saying the offense played great in that game. They didn't. No one did. However, it's unrealistic to think that the offense has to/can score on every possession.</P>

Even as poorly as the offense played in the second Philly game, the defense didn't play nearly as well as the box score would tell you. Letting VY go 18 plays in roughly 9 minutes was disgraceful, particularly after we just tied the game up.</P>

Yes, the offense has played a couple of stinkers this season. But, overall, they've been the reason we're in contention right now.</P>

At the end of the day, I'm more worried about the defense than I am the offense. Even though the offense may sputter at times, the defense has shown that it's capable of not even showing up for a game.</P>

I don''t disagree with you.

While we all know what should happen, that's simply not realistic. So ya gotta adjust. Of course the defense should stop the other team, but they aren't able to. So a different strategy is required.

RobCarpenter
12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
The offense has to keep the defense off the field for as long as possible and they frankly have done a poor job of that in the second half of the season. I'm going to repectfully disagree with that statement. The offense's job is to score points...no matter how long it takes or doesn't take. The defense's job is to get the other team's offense off the field...and they have done a poor job of doing this ALL season.</P>

Definitelyagree with your pointhere, especially when down by 4 or more. Iunderstand running down the clockonce you know you plan on kicking a FG and are in close range, butnever when you need a TD. </P>

Zaggs
12-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Not worried about Eli. Nicks and Cruz need to do a better job catching the ball if they ever want to be considered elite. Still against the Jets had more to do with the fact the Jets corners were getting away with too much of the touchy.

Redeyejedi
12-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Turnovers will kill this team. Earlier in the year, Eli was making better decisions. Taking sacks instead of forcing it. Throwing it away. Ect. We wont win in the playoffs vs GB or the Saints turning it over. Must control the clock. Must run more and play the style and schemes we did on defense vs the Pats and Jets all the time. Man v Man, blitzing often. </P>Yeah Eli has not been sharp the last 2 weeks which is probably a good thing. He is due to smoke someone.