PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Strahan Prefers To See HOF Snub as a "Delayed Blessing"

Tuckit91
02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Strahan should have got in this time too! voters need to be striped of their rights to vote!

I Bleed Blue 56
02-02-2013, 06:18 PM
He will get anounced at Met Life next year hands down. All good Parcell's made it for us.

Gmen2005
02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
He'll get in.

titwio
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
He'll get in.

I've been staring at your gif and laughing for a good minute now.

BlueBlooded1979
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
He'll get in.

He played a "First Ballot" career and deserved to be in the first time around. Another disgrace to the HOF.

Roosevelt
02-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I know this will upset some people but I never cared for Michael Strahan until 2007.

Michael was the first NY Giant that I can remember who put himself before the team out on the playing field. It didn't matter how bad we were getting beat, if Michael made a good play (which of course was his job) he immediately started auditioning for a career as a body builder. In 2007, despite his holdout, Michael proved there was a leader inside that man. Wish we had seen that sooner in his career.

fletch842
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
He played a "First Ballot" career and deserved to be in the first time around. Another disgrace to the HOF.
I'm with you. He certainly was as deserving as Sapp. I'm not impressed by the selection committee.

TCHOF
02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
I know this will upset some people but I never cared for Michael Strahan until 2007.

Michael was the first NY Giant that I can remember who put himself before the team out on the playing field. It didn't matter how bad we were getting beat, if Michael made a good play (which of course was his job) he immediately started auditioning for a career as a body builder. In 2007, despite his holdout, Michael proved there was a leader inside that man. Wish we had seen that sooner in his career.

Completely agree.

Toadofsteel
02-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Parcells is a man that went out of his way to screw over the team in his departure. Wait for Belicheck and Coughlin to leave, then force Ray Handley on us for 2 years... Strahan didn't do that, sure he was a little more self-centered earlier on, but matured as he continued his career. By the end he was the leader we all know and love today. Parcells regressed in that regard, from the leader we remember in 1986 to a guy that seemed to only be in it for the lulz (like when he took over the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins...)

Cool Papa B.
02-02-2013, 08:02 PM
He will get anounced at Met Life next year hands down. All good Parcell's made it for us.

Yeah. Which will make his induction all he more sweeter for him and his fans.

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Parcells is a man that went out of his way to screw over the team in his departure. Wait for Belicheck and Coughlin to leave, then force Ray Handley on us for 2 years... Strahan didn't do that, sure he was a little more self-centered earlier on, but matured as he continued his career. By the end he was the leader we all know and love today. Parcells regressed in that regard, from the leader we remember in 1986 to a guy that seemed to only be in it for the lulz (like when he took over the Jets, Cowboys, and Dolphins...)

I wonder if that sack of Favre played into it at all???

Toadofsteel
02-02-2013, 08:12 PM
I wonder if that sack of Favre played into it at all???

Even if he didn't have that sack, he'd still be the giants career sack leader (141.5 with favre sack removed compared to LT 132.5, not to mention Strahan didn't have a hand in the dirt in front of him to take up some OL blocks). If Strahan were a 3-4 LB, he probably would have had even more sacks than he did record...

RoanokeFan
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Even if he didn't have that sack, he'd still be the giants career sack leader (141.5 with favre sack removed compared to LT 132.5, not to mention Strahan didn't have a hand in the dirt in front of him to take up some OL blocks). If Strahan were a 3-4 LB, he probably would have had even more sacks than he did record...

Yes, but I rememeber at the time a lot of media heads were incensed and some of them may be voters.

BigBlueAllDay
02-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Rest assured, Strahan will eventually get in. It's just a matter of time or attempts.

Baby Bulls
02-02-2013, 08:53 PM
He got screwed. I didn't think he'd get in this year, but after seeing those that did, he clearly deserved it. I saw them all play and while good, Strahan deserved the nod over some of the others. I say it's the anti-NY vote and not wanting to put two former Giants, yeah I know Parcells was also a cowgirl, but is best remembered as a Giant.

P_Simms_#11
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Yes, but I rememeber at the time a lot of media heads were incensed and some of them may be voters.

You may have something there.

SweetZombieJesus
02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
If I had to guess, they didn't want two Giants getting in at the same time (Parcells) or both DEs of the same generation getting in at the same time (Sapp).

Roosevelt
02-02-2013, 09:20 PM
If I had to guess, they didn't want two Giants getting in at the same time (Parcells) or both DEs of the same generation getting in at the same time (Sapp).

You may be right. It wasn't as if he revolutionized his position and had to get in on the 1st ballot like an LT. He will get in eventually. Probably next year.

thomasjmarino
02-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Got to agree.

thomasjmarino
02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
He got screwed. I didn't think he'd get in this year, but after seeing those that did, he clearly deserved it. I saw them all play and while good, Strahan deserved the nod over some of the others. I say it's the anti-NY vote and not wanting to put two former Giants, yeah I know Parcells was also a cowgirl, but is best remembered as a Giant.

What's the deal with the Anti-NY thing anyway?
I've felt that way for a long time.

BigBlueAllDay
02-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Arguably the most dominant DE (Strahan) and DT (Sapp) of their time.

nhpgiantsfan
02-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't understand why there is a limit to how many they are aloud to put in. Either the player is a HOF or not. Why cap the number of inductees.

Dabluguy
02-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Snubed big time

Carter.525
02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
poo poo these votes.. Strahan is HOF in my book..

Diamondring
02-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Even if he didn't have that sack, he'd still be the giants career sack leader (141.5 with favre sack removed compared to LT 132.5, not to mention Strahan didn't have a hand in the dirt in front of him to take up some OL blocks). If Strahan were a 3-4 LB, he probably would have had even more sacks than he did record...For many years for a good amount of time, Strahan had hardly no help on the other side and still was a threat. He is not in is suprising.

giantsfan420
02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
i cant believe he wasnt first ballot. in a way, he kind of did change the way DE's are looked at. We all know of the Reggie Whites and stuff, but I think Strahan will be the bench mark for how u measure a "complete" DE. Strahan was the master of the sack, we all know that. But I'm always amazed when I hear former OL or teammates speak about Strahans play and dedication vs the run, which was definitely not always the case with him when he first came on. he progressed into, imho, one of the first DE's that should be discussed on an All NFL Historical team or something...he also doesnt get the credit he deserves for toughness. guy had a long, consistent career in the NFCE, with all the road grader run blocking OL and the premium teams put on the ability to actually contain strahan, i am disappointed he wasn't first ballot.
it'd almost be like tony gonzalez not getting first ballot when he goes (a little over the top I know, its for effect) but i dunno if its possible to reach a higher level of play for the longevity he did it at.

BuffyBlueII
02-03-2013, 01:09 AM
i cant believe he wasnt first ballot. in a way, he kind of did change the way DE's are looked at. We all know of the Reggie Whites and stuff, but I think Strahan will be the bench mark for how u measure a "complete" DE. Strahan was the master of the sack, we all know that. But I'm always amazed when I hear former OL or teammates speak about Strahans play and dedication vs the run, which was definitely not always the case with him when he first came on. he progressed into, imho, one of the first DE's that should be discussed on an All NFL Historical team or something...he also doesnt get the credit he deserves for toughness. guy had a long, consistent career in the NFCE, with all the road grader run blocking OL and the premium teams put on the ability to actually contain strahan, i am disappointed he wasn't first ballot.
it'd almost be like tony gonzalez not getting first ballot when he goes (a little over the top I know, its for effect) but i dunno if its possible to reach a higher level of play for the longevity he did it at.

I think that Reggie White and Bruce Smith were better more complete DEs than Michael Strahan.

giantsfan420
02-03-2013, 01:44 AM
I think that Reggie White and Bruce Smith were better more complete DEs than Michael Strahan.thats def. fair. for me tho, for whatever small disparity there is between the 3 if at all, strahan being a Giant puts him over the top for me... i know, not very logical at all but eh who cares, just my opinion...i mean, if i were starting a team, and had to pick between those 3, dunno if id be able to choose without flipping a coin or somethng lol...

giantsfan420
02-03-2013, 01:47 AM
and fwiw, im sure theres aspects strahan did better than those other 2 and likewise. for example, strahan really payed more attention to his body like midway thru his career, and it gave him an agility boost that imo played a big part in his ability to set the edge and either stop the run himself or force the rb into the waiting arms of others who came in unblocked while stray ate up a triple team...stray also had a bit more quickness AFTER that initial burst, all 3 had tremendous bursts off the line, but stray had a bit more athleticism/agility imo that helped him make so many plays.

BuffyBlueII
02-03-2013, 01:48 AM
thats def. fair. for me tho, for whatever small disparity there is between the 3 if at all, strahan being a Giant puts him over the top for me... i know, not very logical at all but eh who cares, just my opinion...i mean, if i were starting a team, and had to pick between those 3, dunno if id be able to choose without flipping a coin or somethng lol...

lol...............it is the same way as how I would pick Eli over Rodgers and Brees.....lol......

I think Michael Strahan deserved to go in on first ballot but am not surprised that he didn't.

GiantSteps13
02-03-2013, 05:55 AM
I really don't get what the voters were looking at. Strahan's stats are far more impressive then Sapp's. doesn't make much sense to put Sapp in over Strahan when you look at there career numbers.

RoanokeFan
02-03-2013, 06:38 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/strahan-shakes-giant-hall-fame-snub-article-1.1254148

Excerpt: "Justin Tuck said last week it would be a “black, gloom day for the NFL” if Michael Strahan (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Michael+Strahan) wasn’t elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday. Osi Umenyiora vowed he’d start tossing some furniture, too.

But when it actually happened, and Michael Strahan was surprisingly snubbed by the Pro Football Hall of Fame voters, the former Giants defensive end preferred to look at it as “a delayed blessing” — one that could lead to him being elected to the Hall during Super Bowl week in New York next year.

Strahan, the Giants’ official all-time sack leader and one of the greatest defensive ends in NFL history, was shockingly not included when the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 2013 was announced at the Super Bowl XLVII media center on Saturday evening. He made it through the first round of voting when the list of modern finalists was cut from 15 to 10, but he was eliminated when the list was cut from 10 to 5.

Strahan, 41, seemed to take the snub in stride. His first reaction was to joke, via Twitter, that “I didn’t make the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year but I did win the DirecTV Beach Bowl MVP.”

A few minutes later, he congratulated the five modern-day members of the seven-member class — offensive linemen Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen, receiver Cris Carter, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and former Giants and Jets coach Bill Parcells — and told them to “enjoy the well-deserved honor.”" Read more...

Rat_bastich
02-03-2013, 06:50 AM
He'll get there. I thought he was a definite first rounder but you can't say those guys were not deserving either.

Rat_bastich
02-03-2013, 06:51 AM
I really don't get what the voters were looking at. Strahan's stats are far more impressive then Sapp's. doesn't make much sense to put Sapp in over Strahan when you look at there career numbers.

Sapp was a DT who was not going to have stats anywhere near what Strahan would just because of the position he plays. Sapp was a monster Defensive Tackle and played with a high motor. He deserved his spot.

KillaRich
02-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Sapp def deserves his spot, but if sapp got in first ballot then so should of Strahan no matter what.... I know the difference of positions .... And sapp was probably just as good as Strahan in his prime.... But strahans prime lasted way longer And had a better career ..... The voters should be banned from voting again ... I find it disgraceful and embarrassing ...... Strahan was the best giant ever after LT ..... Hopefully next year in NJ Strahan

RoanokeFan
02-03-2013, 09:52 AM
He'll get there. I thought he was a definite first rounder but you can't say those guys were not deserving either. +1

rondayneblows
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Sapp was a DT who was not going to have stats anywhere near what Strahan would just because of the position he plays. Sapp was a monster Defensive Tackle and played with a high motor. He deserved his spot.

Each made 7 pro bowls, each were 4x First Team All-Pro, each were 2x 2nd Team All-Pro, each won 1 Super Bowl. Point is they're VERY similar. Strahan's numbers look more impressive, which I guess you could say is totally due to the position, or you could say it's because he was better for a longer period. I'd have thought the numbers plus the record-breaking season would give it to Strahan over Sapp.

blueribbon
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
How do you snub strahan for that fat hamburger eating sapp of sh$t? Because he works for the the nfl network? What a farse.

Delicreep
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

See...we are very different kinda "old men".

Love the guy, but I can look at the whole of his career with a little less "romance" than most folks and still see the guy as a Giants great and a sure fire HOF'er who in a lot of ways, could have been even greater.

Maybe we are being too harsh; maybe we are expecting too much. I mean, not too many guys have been model leaders throughout their careers, and he was a great leader.

Gonna be great when he makes the HOF in NY.

BleedinBlue72
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
how is it possible......Sapp over Strahan??

BuffyBlueII
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM

I agree with your statement here. I really did feel that Bill Parcells screwed us over and find him to be real selfish. I think that the opposite is the case with Stray. Sure he showboated and was immature early on but he grew and evolved. He really matured in to a fine leader and still motivates NY Giants and I think he will always be active member of this team, the guy Bleeds Blue.

He went out on his terms and retired when it was right for him but I know I am not the only one that wishes we had his leadership in 2008 when Plexiglass cheddar bobbed himself. I think Stray could have held the team together and we would have made another run.

I really wanted him to go in on 1st ballot and felt he deserved it but it will be so awesome if he gets elected next year in NY.

blueribbon
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
wtf Chris Carter over strahan? What a JOKE - THE HALL OF SHAME

blueribbon
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
You watch McNabb was hired by the nfl network he's in 4 years from now.

BigBlue1971
02-03-2013, 01:20 PM
i was a little bit disappointed he didnt get in this time albeit his 1st! but he'll eventually get in!

i thought him and Parcells wouldve made a good Giants "team" going in!

Bones911
02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Well when Strahan gets in next year it will be better because the Super Bowl will be in HIS stadium making the victory much more sweeter. Also maybe the writers did not want to put 2 guys from NY in the HOF at the same time.

Rusty192
02-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Snubed big timehttp://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1377287/francesa.gif

Best sig ever.

That was hilarious! I loved how folks prank called in and kept on making jokes about it.

Roosevelt
02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
See...we are very different kinda "old men".

Love the guy, but I can look at the whole of his career with a little less "romance" than most folks and still see the guy as a Giants great and a sure fire HOF'er who in a lot of ways, could have been even greater.

Maybe we are being too harsh; maybe we are expecting too much. I mean, not too many guys have been model leaders throughout their careers, and he was a great leader.

Gonna be great when he makes the HOF in NY.

I agree, he is deserving. Just as deserving if not more than Warren Sapp. But his on-field antics (while losing) just turned me off.

With today's player it's now common place to celebrate plays that simply should be expected of one's self. Today's player makes a nice play (despite the score) and throws a party. Sometimes they can end up looking pretty foolish.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1024070/e25edbf0fddc.gif

nhpgiantsfan
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
If he gets in next year in New York, and is on the field in "Giants Stadium" for the SB, it will all be worth it. I wonder if some voters took that into consideration.

ny06
02-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Harry Carson waited 13 years to be inducted. You will get your chance Strahan...

BigBlue1971
02-03-2013, 04:34 PM
If he gets in next year in New York, and is on the field in "Giants Stadium" for the SB, it will all be worth it. I wonder if some voters took that into consideration.

i think some did consider it! thinking of it it may be a better time for the team!

bigblue58
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Strahan should have got in this time too! voters need to be striped of their rights to vote!

seriously....Sapp making it in but not Strahan is total unadulterated bull****!

zimonami
02-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Harry Carson waited 13 years to be inducted. You will get your chance Strahan...
Exactly. Harry was a great leader and a great MLB, and might have been hurt because he was on so many bad teams in his early years. Playing with LT also hurt Harry... but he finally made it.
I think Stray deserved a first bsllot selection, but he'll make it next year.
I remember the very first pre-season game Stray ever played in, and turning to my buddy and saying he was going to be a great one. Through his career it was obvious that he was a great pass rusher, but I was always impressed with how he played the run. You just couldn't get outside of him. Some teams simply wouldn't run towards him. His effectiveness was due to his balance... some will think it a funny comparison, but Stray strung out runs to his side very much like Banks did As an OLB in the 3-4.
Banks deserved the HOF, IMO. He was hurt playing alongside greats Harry and LT.

Kruunch
02-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Warren Sapp and Jonathan Ogden over Strahan is a joke.

Ntegrase96
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Warren Sapp and Jonathan Ogden over Strahan is a joke.

Ogden? The 9x all pro'er?

EliDaMANning
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Ogden definitely deserved it. Sapp i'm not so sure on. I would've clearly taken Strahan over him.

bigblue58
02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Strahan isn't in the HOF for one reason........some wuss writers with votes and power trips, who Strahan was probably rude to after a loss 10 years ago were able to say NO to keep him out and to stick it up his ***!

MikeyMike01
02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Being first year means nothing. Parcells didn't suddenly become a Hall of Famer in the past year. It's just a logistical problem. All deserving parties will get in eventually.

zimonami
02-04-2013, 10:16 PM
wtf Chris Carter over strahan? What a JOKE - THE HALL OF SHAME
Chris Carter most definitely deserves the HOF. But, I'll respect your opinion if you can tell me that you saw him play throughout the 90's, and saw him frequently during that time, and that you were old enough to understand what you were watching. He's considered to have among the best hands of all time, and he holds many NFL receiving records. Stray owns the single season sack record... anything else? Don't get me wrong, I believe Stray should have been a 1st rounder, but don't denigrate Carter as not worthy. He is very worthy