PDA

View Full Version : Five Things Giants Have To Do To Reach Next Season's Super Bowl

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 08:01 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/five_things_the_giants_have_season_oZhGxeuowMhPybb FJV5ncO

Excerpt: "One year ago, the Giants were bundling up and gearing up for their victory parade through the Canyon Heroes as newly-crowned Super Bowl champions. Their quest for as repeat fell flat, as they didn’t even get into the playoffs. There’s work to be done, especially on defense, but here’s how they can be a factor in 2013:

WHAT’S THE RUSH?

If the Giants cannot hound the quarterback they cannot play defense and without a fearsome rush they don’t win two Super Bowls in a five-year span. Now it’s time for retooling. Osi Umenyiora likely won’t be re-signed and even if Mathias Kiwanuka becomes a full-time defensive end another pass-rusher is needed, even if the Giants are confident Justin Tuck has plenty left in the tank.

GET NICKS FIXED

The dynamic nature to the entire offense never materialized because Hakeem Nicks wasn’t healthy all season, bothered and at times sidelined first with foot issues and then with a bum knee. He’s entering the last year of his contract and needs to return to form to cash in.

LINE IT UP

It is no coincidence that the 49ers represented the NFC in the Super Bowl and their five offensive linemen started every game, all 19 of ‘em. Lots of unknowns with Giants, as left tackle Will Beatty and right guard Kevin Boothe are free agents, right tackle David Diehl is on the downside and right guard Chris Snee is having hip surgery." Read more...

JPizzack
02-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm not really confident in Tuck anymore. maybe it's too early for me to say that, but to assume he was playing injured for 2 years in a row really makes me question his longevity. I think we get another DE through the draft. Hopefully we can get someone who works out as early as JPP. Stud DEs arent exactly falling off the defense tree these days.

CDN_G-FAN
02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
ain't that a depressing article.

find a passrush that isn't there anymore, get a guy healthy who looks like he's breaking down, fix a line where 4 of 5 members could be gone or are declining in performance, and get hungry when some guys on the team already have 2 rings.

sheesh.

Buddy333
02-05-2013, 08:39 AM
That's why I think they will draft a DE first. Get the pass rush fixed and that will go a long way. Also, the offense was as much to blame as the defense. It seems everyone just keeps calling out the defense but the fact is the offense did as much to lose this year as the defense did. Part of that was injury and part of it was poor play. Both can change next year without making a single roster move. Then make a roster move by adding a RT and things could be much different this year.

Flip Empty
02-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Not sucking would help a great deal.

GMAN2K9
02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
How about: Discover a killer instinct & consistently play with pride

Mercury
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Personally, I think fixing the Oline will go a long way toward fixing some of the other problems.

Rudyy
02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
How about: Discover a killer instinct & consistently play with prideThe biggest thing. Hopefully we can be underdogs again.

Rusty192
02-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Not having our schedule backloaded with all the good opponents at the end when we start to wear down might help with that.

ryan12
02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Not having our schedule backloaded with all the good opponents at the end when we start to wear down might help with that.

agreed i would prefer to start out 4-4 and finish strong then 6-2 and imploding rest of season.. scartch that id rather we won every game

BurnerNYG
02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I can almost guarantee that Hakeem Nicks will get hurt again. He's made out of glass.

CDN_G-FAN
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
I can almost guarantee that Hakeem Nicks will get hurt again. He's made out of glass.

i know fans love him. but i'm with you on this. i don't have any confidence in his body.

when i heard he went out and bought a hyperbaric chamber for his bedroom, before he started missing games with injuries, i thought 'this is either a guy who is a hard core professional doing anything he can to compete, or his body is already starting to get worn down.........

Buddy333
02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
i know fans love him. but i'm with you on this. i don't have any confidence in his body. when i heard he went out and bought a hyperbaric chamber for his bedroom, before he started missing games with injuries, i thought 'this is either a guy who is a hard core professional doing anything he can to compete, or his body is already starting to get worn down.........No, he hasn't played an entire season since being drafted. However, this year was the first time it was a huge issue with him missing a lot of games and not being a factor in a bunch of others.

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 03:10 PM
No, he hasn't played an entire season since being drafted. However, this year was the first time it was a huge issue with him missing a lot of games and not being a factor in a bunch of others.

Perhaps, but his record is what it is and it's a concern. It will play into Reese's offer(s)

Buddy333
02-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Perhaps, but his record is what it is and it's a concern. It will play into Reese's offer(s)No doubt, but his agent will also present them with his post season numbers. Should be an interesting negotiation.

Toadofsteel
02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
That's why I think they will draft a DE first. Get the pass rush fixed and that will go a long way. Also, the offense was as much to blame as the defense. It seems everyone just keeps calling out the defense but the fact is the offense did as much to lose this year as the defense did. Part of that was injury and part of it was poor play. Both can change next year without making a single roster move. Then make a roster move by adding a RT and things could be much different this year.

I think it's more important to fix the OL first. I'd be happy on defense if JPP and Kiwi could seal the edges and prevent any outside runs. Honestly with Chip coaching the Eagles and RG3 on the skins, containment is more important than bullrushing... so in that case, we need to beef up our OL, DT, and CB positions.

bigblue58
02-05-2013, 07:51 PM

If we have to replace starters through the draft, we're already flying blind in the wind because we just cannot afford to waste a year waiting for more rookies to catch up to the speed of the game. Meanwhile the rest of the league signs big timey free agents who make an immediate impact, leaving the Giants even further behind the eight ball.
The problem with the Giants right now, is that they need those big sexy moves that Reese dismisses, and we can't afford them even if we had a GM who wanted to make them.

jomo
02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
ain't that a depressing article.

find a passrush that isn't there anymore, get a guy healthy who looks like he's breaking down, fix a line where 4 of 5 members could be gone or are declining in performance, and get hungry when some guys on the team already have 2 rings.

sheesh.They did rank us the 6th most talented team in the NFL going into next year though.

AntB
02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Defensive Tackle. A dominant DT to go with LJ will open things up for the DE's and the MLB. First Soper Bowl win we had Coffield and Robbins, second SB we had a Canty at the top of his game and a solid LJ. Last year LJ was OK and the old timer played hard but he's best when he just spells the starters and doesn't play every down.

Redeyejedi
02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Giants defense is going to be awful I think next season.They will be transitioning . The offense can be very good if Nicks comes back 100%,Randle progresses, Wilson becomes a Top 10 RB, Bennett is resigned, and a RT is found, they can really blister teams.

Buddy333
02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
If we have to replace starters through the draft, we're already flying blind in the wind because we just cannot afford to waste a year waiting for more rookies to catch up to the speed of the game. Meanwhile the rest of the league signs big timey free agents who make an immediate impact, leaving the Giants even further behind the eight ball.The problem with the Giants right now, is that they need those big sexy moves that Reese dismisses, and we can't afford them even if we had a GM who wanted to make them.Eh, rookies can play. There where 3 rookie QB's in the playoffs this year. A rookie lead he league in tackles and two rookie RB's finished in the top five for yards rushing. Most teams that have that money to sign big time FA's have that money for a reason. They need lots of help. The best teams build through the draft and pick up affordable FA's.

Buddy333
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Giants defense is going to be awful I think next season.They will be transitioning . The offense can be very good if Nicks comes back 100%,Randle progresses, Wilson becomes a Top 10 RB, Bennett is resigned, and a RT is found, they can really blister teams.You also have to hope that Eli plays like 2011. If all those things happen they will be hard to stop. That will also help their defense out. They need to draft well.