PDA

View Full Version : Michael Boley: Does He Have A Future With The Giants?

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 12:36 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/5/3952020/michael-boley-new-york-giants-nfl-roster-free-agency-salary-cap

Excerpt: "Since we started this on Monday (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/4/3950414/ahmad-bradshaw-foot-injury-new-york-giants-2013-roster) with a discussion of the future of running back Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16768/ahmad-bradshaw) with the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants), let's continue with that line of debate. The Giants have a little more than a month to get under the projected salary cap for 2013, so some difficult roster decisions are going to need to be made.

Over the next few days we will discuss several veteran players under contract for 2013. Today, let's debate the future of linebacker Michael Boley (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1115/michael-boley).

Let's acknowledge that the Giants need improved linebacker play in 2013. General manager Jerry Reese has admitted as much, so I have to work off the belief that there will be changes to this group for next season.The question then is this: Is Boley part of the problem, or is he part of the solution?

Boley, an eight-year veteran, is in the final year of a five-year, $25-million contract. His cap hit for 2013, per Spotrac, is $5.9 million. The Giants could save $4.25 million of that (Boley's base salary for next season) by cutting him." Read more...

penguinfarmer
02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I like Boley, but I predicted him to be gone prior to last season. In the end, it's just a numbers game. You evaluate in which positions can you sustain a loss, and with 4 Will LBs, you simply ask yourself: is Boley worth losing a Nicks or Cruz?

ryan12
02-05-2013, 01:01 PM
bye bye boley

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I like Boley, but I predicted him to be gone prior to last season. In the end, it's just a numbers game. You evaluate in which positions can you sustain a loss, and with 4 Will LBs, you simply ask yourself: is Boley worth losing a Nicks or Cruz?

This is where Reese earns his paycheck. In order to keep Nicks AND Cruz long term, he has to find a way to pay them what they're worth, whatever that is. Using Boley as an example only, the significant financial benefit doesn't kick in until 2014 BUT, Reese could use that for Cruz's second year bump over 2013. It's back loading and players don't traditionally like that, but in the days of guaranteed money that should be less of an obstacle.

Carter.525
02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
This is where Reese earns his paycheck. In order to keep Nicks AND Cruz long term, he has to find a way to pay them what they're worth, whatever that is. Using Boley as an example only, the significant financial benefit doesn't kick in until 2014 BUT, Reese could use that for Cruz's second year bump over 2013. It's back loading and players don't traditionally like that, but in the days of guaranteed money that should be less of an obstacle.

agreed, whatever it takes to re-sign Cruz & Nicks.. If that means Boley, then so be it.

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
agreed, whatever it takes to re-sign Cruz & Nicks.. If that means Boley, then so be it.

Some hard personnel decisions are about to take place and we're not going to be happy with all of them

titwio
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
4.25 goes a LONG way in aiding the Cap. Also with the way he was excluded from the defense late last year just makes the plan to cut him all the more evident.

The Giants simply can't afford to pay him the 5.9.

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 01:24 PM
4.25 goes a LONG way in aiding the Cap. Also with the way he was excluded from the defense late last year just makes the plan to cut him all the more evident.

The Giants simply can't afford to pay him the 5.9.

The CAP makes contract negotiations a very delicate process. You want to sign players A and B but you don't have enough ON HAND cash to do both at a level commensurate with their skills. So you look at who you have that has been under-performing and look at WHEN their release actually turns into a financial benefit.

That matters because you are looking to finance long term contracts and you have to have a pretty good idea how much money you can CREATE with player releases and restructures. It's not an easy process even in good financial times.

penguinfarmer
02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I was in belief that Canty would be gone before Boley given his injury issues and recent draftings and signings, but given the lack of a consistent interior rusher, and how Canty played this past season, I'm not certain about him either.

titwio
02-05-2013, 01:31 PM
The CAP makes contract negotiations a very delicate process. You want to sign players A and B but you don't have enough ON HAND cash to do both at a level commensurate with their skills. So you look at who you have that has been under-performing and look at WHEN their release actually turns into a financial benefit.

That matters because you are looking to finance long term contracts and you have to have a pretty good idea how much money you can CREATE with player releases and restructures. It's not an easy process even in good financial times.

So your pretty much agreeing that Boley's a goner?

Shimmy
02-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Jacquian Williams time. I was worried facing mobile QB's when he was injured. He's a reason we were so successful in the QB Spy.

Carter.525
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Jacquian Williams time. I was worried facing mobile QB's when he was injured. He's a reason we were so successful in the QB Spy.

yup.. let's hope he's stay healthy this year

TheAnalyst
02-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Id say Boley would be a no brainer to get cut, but the Giants have done absolutely nothing to replace him unless they can resign Rivers for cheap.

Canty, Cweb, Snee, Diehl, Rolle all need paycuts as well.

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
So your pretty much agreeing that Boley's a goner?

Not necessarily, but it was a good example for CAP purposes and how it's not just about the current season. I would like Boley to get to compete in camp. He was injured in 2012, was that the main reason for his drop off?

Jahh
02-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Not necessarily, but it was a good example for CAP purposes and how it's not just about the current season. I would like Boley to get to compete in camp. He was injured in 2012, was that the main reason for his drop off?
I thought Coughlin made it pretty clear that his dip in playing had nothing to do with injury.

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
I thought Coughlin made it pretty clear that his dip in playing had nothing to do with injury.

I think it was Boley who said that, but at that point in the season, it may have been a test to see who was able to step up as a preview to 2013

speed3freak
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
And he just got cut.

I Hate T.O.
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
And he just got cut.

Yup....thanks for you hard work Michael...good luck too you.

G-Men Surg.
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
So that answers the question

RoanokeFan
02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Boley will never get cut! :o

blueribbon
02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Boley's gone

GameTime
02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
nothing personal but the Giants wont miss as much as they need the $$ they will save by cutting him....

thanks Boley....best of luck