PDA

View Full Version : Why are you a GIANTS fan?

Sean Montemayor
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM
I am because of Super Bowl 42. I have been ever since. Going into the Super Bowl as the extreme underdogs, only to rise above the Patriots. 18-1 will forever be my reason. They proved all the doubters wrong that day. And of course the helmet catch. Lol. Props to David Tyree and Eli. Forever in the books...GIANTS-17, PATRIOTS-14. And 46 was awesome to have it happen all again. Maybe once more to silence the remaining doubters forever?But then again, why worry about them now. Ah, they don't matter. This is our year. And here's to many more to come. Cheers.

giantfan1976
02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
I followed the team since the late 90's but didn't really call myself a fan. I was an Oilers fan most of my life. When they moved to Nashville, I looked for a new team. So I started watching the NYG (since I visited NY city at least once a year for several years). But, I still wasn't a true fan. Being an Ole Miss guy, I bought in when they drafted Eli Manning. I've been a die-hard fan since 2004.

Carter.525
02-05-2013, 11:54 PM
my Uncle was a huge Giants fan when I was a kid.. It was my destiny

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 12:22 AM
I was raised from birth as a Giants fan. First season I could remember however was 1994... I still cheered as hard as I could for Dave Brown, though... poor guy

mike kennedy
02-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Because in 1959, a year after the game that my dad attended, the Giants & Colts Championship, I was born. 11/11 veterans day and mom said I was an Rh factor baby and I immediately needed a blood transfusion.
I am pretty sure that the blood was blue.
End of story.

ELI_Iz_God
02-06-2013, 01:38 AM
Been a giants fan since 1980. Funny thing is I have 3 older brothers 2 of them are Dolphin fans and the other a Jet's fan ( I make fun of him to this day...i.e. The Ken O'Brien days LOL))

I can't really explain why I became a fan of Big Blue except that I was born and raised in NY and I bleed blue....that's about it.

giants-_-
02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Watched them lose against the viking is 07 and became a fan ever since

Tuckit91
02-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Growing up in Syracuse NY and I was 8 in 1982 and we went to my Uncles house and he was watching the Giants VS Eagles and I started copying him as he was yelling at the tv and every since I have been a fan of the NY FOOTBALL GIANTS the greatest franchise in sports!!

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2013, 02:26 AM
after seeing that other thread on the first page, i think its because of kate mara.........

GiantRoc
02-06-2013, 03:21 AM
In 1966 at age 8, I got a vibrating electronic football game. They came with white and yellow players and a paint set. Giants and Packers. The red, white, and blue Giants always kicked Packer butt. A fan was born. Watching Fran Tarkington as a Giant was great. Tucker Frederickson, Bob Tucker, Spider Lockhart, Pete Athas. Just some of the names I think back on. A lot of lean years makes me so happy about what this team has done since the 80's.

IrishHothead
02-06-2013, 03:27 AM
3rd Generation Fan & 3rd Generation Season Ticket Holder.

SweetZombieJesus
02-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Much like your experience Sean, except 17 years earlier. To sum it up in one word, CHARACTER.

I got serious and locked in to this team by the 1990 Monday Night Football matchup against the 2x defending champion 49ers. Both teams were 11-1, best teams in the league. The Giants lost that hard fought game but they showed such fight, such spirit, such character, I was hooked, and they won the SB that year (on their backup QB and RB, no less) and beat those same 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. Very similar to the feeling of the week 17 regular season matchup against the Patriots that the Giants lost 38-35 and then would beat them in the Super Bowl.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Much like your experience Sean, except 17 years earlier. To sum it up in one word, CHARACTER.

I got serious and locked in to this team by the 1990 Monday Night Football matchup against the 2x defending champion 49ers. Both teams were 11-1, best teams in the league. The Giants lost that hard fought game but they showed such fight, such spirit, such character, I was hooked, and they won the SB that year (on their backup QB and RB, no less) and beat those same 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. Very similar to the feeling of the week 17 regular season matchup against the Patriots that the Giants lost 38-35 and then would beat them in the Super Bowl.

Ha!!
That was the famous "Phil Simms in Ronnie Lott's face" game.
Things like that moment are why Phil is my favorite all time player.

flashnando
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Funny thing with me is no one in my family liked American Football, it was all about Soccer (Futbol). I guess I was destined to be a Giants fan, Watched the sport on TV one day and guess who was playing? The Giants lol

Of course I lived in NY at the time so i was able to watch all their games from that day on and was a huge fan since, this was at the age of 8.

jomo
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
My dad's early influence it the single biggest reason I am a Giants fan.

Old Giant
02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Because I was born to be a Giants fan. Same as my Dad and my grandfather. Now passed on to my daughter. Its a family curse I figure.

NYFG4X
02-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Born and raised in Canton Ohio (Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame)..its where I live,been here all my 45 yrs..Here in Canton, its both a Cleveland Browns or Pittsburgh Steelers fanbase, and I proudy fly my Giants flag from the roof of my home...Ive been a GIants fan since I was about 8yrs old thanks to my first Pee Wee football team that I played for was the Giants, and since that day, Ive never looked back, and dont ever plan to.. Im a Big Blue lifer !!!! see you guys in Canton when Coach Parcells goes into the Hall this summer in August..

BigBlue1971
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
family tradition!

nycisgreat
02-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I am a fan since 85 because of my older brothers and sisters.

JPP=BEASTMODE
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Lawrence Taylor

TrueBlue10
02-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Like others, my father (born and raised in Queens) is a Giants fan and so it came to me as my birthright =)

I started officially rooting after the Bills/Giants SuperBowl. The whole area (upstate New York) was all abuzz since the Bills were in the SB and I got swept up in it and rooted for the Giants cuz of my dad. I was a little kid and it was just so much fun, I immediately subscribed to "Giants Weekly" and have been following the Giants ever since!

blueribbon
02-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Back in the seventies when i took my first shave and cut myself. I was expecting so see red blood flowing but low and behold it came out blue.

JPP=BEASTMODE
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
When I was a kid and watched the games I wouldn't realy pay attention to anything but Lawrence Taylor lol

bigal1giant
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Began listening to the Giants games right after World War II when my dad came back from the Navy! I said listen because we didn't get a TV till 1947 then my dad showed me what it was to bleed blue! He took me to my first game, at Yankee Stadium, 12/30/56 to see the Giants crush the Bears 47-7 for the World Championship of football! My family still has season tickets and, although I now live in Florida, I get up to at least one game per year to cheer for my beloved G-Men.

Martyr
02-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I saw them playing and like the red stripe on thier helmets, I was only maybe 6 or 7 years old

Sean Montemayor
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Much like your experience Sean, except 17 years earlier. To sum it up in one word, CHARACTER.I got serious and locked in to this team by the 1990 Monday Night Football matchup against the 2x defending champion 49ers. Both teams were 11-1, best teams in the league. The Giants lost that hard fought game but they showed such fight, such spirit, such character, I was hooked, and they won the SB that year (on their backup QB and RB, no less) and beat those same 49ers in the NFC Championship Game. Very similar to the feeling of the week 17 regular season matchup against the Patriots that the Giants lost 38-35 and then would beat them in the Super Bowl. +1

Sean Montemayor
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Funny thing with me is no one in my family liked American Football, it was all about Soccer (Futbol). I guess I was destined to be a Giants fan, Watched the sport on TV one day and guess who was playing? The Giants lol Of course I lived in NY at the time so i was able to watch all their games from that day on and was a huge fan since, this was at the age of 8. I once had a ton of 49er fans ( family members) get mad at me for putting on the Giants game instead of the 49er game. Much like in New York, here in California you only get to see 49er, Raider, or Cowgirl games unfortunately. They get to see all 16 games at minimum plus preseason and playoffs. I get to see maybe 8 regular season and of course playoffs. It's time for me to get NFL mobile next year. Lol. By the way it was when we dominated New Orleans this year. Classic.

Sean Montemayor
02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Because I was born to be a Giants fan. Same as my Dad and my grandfather. Now passed on to my daughter. Its a family curse I figure. Blessing, not "curse."

FBomb
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Came up from Louisville KY and spent the Summer with family in Wayne NJ. Lost my virginity to their 16 year old neighbor (gotta love those Jersey girls!!!)...who was a big Giants fan.

Also went to Southern High School in Louisville. Anyone know why that's significant?

bearbryant
02-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I was brought to a Jints game in the Polo Grounds by my Pops and some of his friends. I'll never forget how those guys yelled and carried on that day. From that day on I was hooked. I had to hang around and find out what all the hub bub was about... Another Giants fan is born!!!

gmen0820
02-07-2013, 12:00 AM
....the implication

NYKiller
02-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Watch my first Superbowl/football game with my father and the Giants was one of the teams playing.

myles2424
02-07-2013, 03:48 AM
My grandfather had season tickets since the polo grounds, my father & uncles were die hards and went to my first giant game before I could walk.....It was meant to be..

Diamondring
02-07-2013, 05:07 AM
I was born in one of the five Burros so that is my homeland in NY State.

Out of Exile
02-07-2013, 05:14 AM
I grew up a die hard Mets fan so that's how the New York loyalty started. I never understood football until I was about 19 (when I actually watched and learned the rules). My ex's dad was a DIE HARD, throw stuff at the television type Giants fan. I would watch games with him and I've been a huge fan ever since. That was about...8 years ago.

whakka
02-07-2013, 05:37 AM
started watching football around 86, and i was hooked by the style of defensive hard hitting football that the giants were playing back then. LT was a big reason that i started watching nyg. that was the year he won the unanimous mvp, bravaro played with a broken jaw, and some of the teams and players they were thumping was epic, even while it was happening, much less now 25 years later. john elway, jerry rice, montana, jaws, ect...

just got on the bandwagon from 86, and never getting off. funny thing is my real name is phil manning, only thing that could make me more destined to be a giants fan is if my middle name were jeff or hoss. lol.

Captain Chaos
02-07-2013, 06:37 AM
Came up from Louisville KY and spent the Summer with family in Wayne NJ. Lost my virginity to their 16 year old neighbor (gotta love those Jersey girls!!!)...who was a big Giants fan.

Also went to Southern High School in Louisville. Anyone know why that's significant?

My eyes are tearing up....

Chazj1
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Always have been always will be. Can't remember becoming a fan. It seems like I was a fan since the third or fourth grade.

FBomb
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
My eyes are tearing up....

What can I say.....I'm a hopeless romantic.......or is it just hopeless?

BTW....Southern High School in Louisville is where Phil Simms went.

giantyankee1976
02-07-2013, 10:57 AM
...born and raised in Manhattan and the 80s ride pretty much cemented me a diehard Big Blue Wreckin' Krew fan for life.

Anyway how could I root for any other team anyway, just the thought of it makes me want to puke.

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Because the Giants rule and every other team drools

G14ntzF4π
02-07-2013, 11:12 AM
I am because as much heartache I've endured they eventually win the big one and it feels that much better. I'm expecting a down year this year tho

Sean Montemayor
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I am because as much heartache I've endured they eventually win the big one and it feels that much better. I'm expecting a down year this year tho Have faith, they can bring it this year. Just believe in Eli.

rxc999
02-07-2013, 01:38 PM
started watching football in '99. watched all the giants games..living in NJ back then, liked them back then, but became true fan next season especially after that NFC championship game trouncing vikings 41-0..still remember that game today...