PDA

View Full Version : I Say We Trade Down In The Draft

DINO FLORIDA
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Jeez, we have sooooo many needs, between o-line, the whole defense across the board, and limited cap space, possible FA defections this year and next, etc.. With that in mind, I'd like to see them trade down in the first round, possibly more than once, and try to stockpile picks in rounds 2-5. Many times, those players have very little dropoff of talent, and later round players come cheaper. Plus, with more picks, you have more chances to make up for a whiff, or take a chance on a great athlete from a small school, etc.

Anybody agree?

titwio
02-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't mind at all...19 is actually prime position to do it because the teams usually reach early on for QB's etc... and people want to trade up. Also it's middle of pack and the Giants could have two or three guys still available on their projected big board who they feel they can still get by trading back.

craigjr007
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
cause the giants always do that.........

Moke
02-06-2013, 10:17 AM
What are you willing to do then, OP? Give us some of your suggestions on what we trade down with?

GiantsFan27
02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
if you look at the giants recent history, they don't trade their picks up or down much at all. they seem to be content in letting the draft play out.

besides, there's soooo much time left between now and the draft where we learn the most about the players, quality of this year's draft, free agency hasn't even started yet, etc. and the giants have also shown to be good at finding UDFA's to make the team like hynoski, will hill, cruz, etc. giants have excellent scouting bro.

you're way too early with this

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 10:29 AM
if you look at the giants recent history, they don't trade their picks up or down much at all. they seem to be content in letting the draft play out.

besides, there's soooo much time left between now and the draft where we learn the most about the players, quality of this year's draft, free agency hasn't even started yet, etc. and the giants have also shown to be good at finding UDFA's to make the team like hynoski, will hill, cruz, etc. giants have excellent scouting bro.

you're way too early with this

Depends on who's left when our pick comes.
I have a feeling if Lane Johnson is there we will take him at 19.

titwio
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
@Giantsfan27: I heard the Giants were actually trying to trade down last year which is why they used the entire clock before selecting Wilson.

ryan12
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM
we need either a stud lb ot or cb so i say keep the pick at 19 unless some team makes us a really good offer

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
@Giantsfan27: I heard the Giants were actually trying to trade down last year which is why they used the entire clock before selecting Wilson.

This is correct and was confirmed by Reese last year in his Post Draft presser. He alluded to listening to deals that gave us the "mother load". If the Giants use most of the clock again this year, it's safe to speculate that the same thing is happening once more.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
This is correct and was confirmed by Reese last year in his Post Draft presser. He alluded to listening to deals that gave us the "mother load". If the Giants use most of the clock again this year, it's safe to speculate that the same thing is happening once more.
I don't know....most teams use the entire time to see if anyone wants to make an offer.

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I don't know....most teams use the entire time to see if anyone wants to make an offer.

I'd say its half and half just based on memory. I'm not sure if there is an actual place to check how much time teams took in the draft or not.

craigjr007
02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
giants value quality and not quantity...they wont be trading down

titwio
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
I'd say its half and half just based on memory. I'm not sure if there is an actual place to check how much time teams took in the draft or not.

Wasn't last years draft (1st round) the fastest ever or something? I remember teams getting their picks in fast. Not that it really matters so much though... The Giants are right in the middle of the pack this year and it's very likely the players their shooting for could be gone. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they trade down...I'd actually be all for it, especially considering all the holes they may have this season.

GiantsFan27
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM

but he still didnt make the trade.

obviously any GM would trade down or up if the price is right.

basically why I meant when I said the giants tend not to trade picks is that their recent history is to stay put. they're not like the pats or eagles who like to trade their picks all over the place.

ShakeandBake
02-06-2013, 11:13 AM
It depends who is left obviously, but with our draft position at 19 I would love to trade down. I highly doubt there will be any DEs or CBs left worth taking in the first at that point, and depending on which OTs and LBs are left I wouldn't mind moving back a few spots for a mid to late second rounder

Mercury
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Giants may seem to have more holes this year, but you don't know how JR feels about some of the guys we already have. (Like Tracy, Ojomo, Robinson, Brewer.) You also don't know what FA moves he makes in the meantime. And we don't know who we resign of our former players. What if JR thinks Brewer is ready to start? If he does, he might not address RT in the draft or in FA, and that would leave a lot of us scratching our heads.

That said, if JR thinks we need more picks and gets a good offer, he will trade down.

simmstolt
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Why bother, the staff won't play any of the rookies anyway. You may as well take the BPA so that they can be ready year 2 or 3.

CDN_G-FAN
02-06-2013, 01:26 PM
absolutely they'll trade down if they can, but the value of what you get for trading down seems to be declining over the last few years.

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
What are you willing to do then, OP? Give us some of your suggestions on what we trade down with? I'd love to trade down and accumulate picks but what people don't understand is its not just up to the giants.. Obviously they have to find a team that is willing to move up and give us what we thinks fair.. Its not as easy as "we should move down"..lol

Something i was thinking about , and hoping maybe reese would talk to MIA about is trading our 1st to Miami for there 2nd's and maybe a 5th...

The dolphins could then secure someone at 12(maybe Fisher?) and then grab a WR at 19 like Keenan Allen? We would then have 3 2nd rders, a 3rd, and i bet we get a comp pick or 2 with OSI and KP most likely leaving as well.. We'd have tons of picks in a draft that has most underclassmen ever...

myles2424
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
If guys we were hoping for are gone & no clear cut BPA's, then yes a extra pick would be great...But if there's any kind of a potential difference maker there then no way...

shane4177
02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
What would we get for our 1st? Would it be worth it?

Imgrate
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I'd love to trade down and accumulate picks but what people don't understand is its not just up to the giants.. Obviously they have to find a team that is willing to move up and give us what we thinks fair.. Its not as easy as "we should move down"..lolSomething i was thinking about , and hoping maybe reese would talk to MIA about is trading our 1st to Miami for there 2nd's and maybe a 5th...The dolphins could then secure someone at 12(maybe Fisher?) and then grab a WR at 19 like Keenan Allen? We would then have 3 2nd rders, a 3rd, and i bet we get a comp pick or 2 with OSI and KP most likely leaving as well.. We'd have tons of picks in a draft that has most underclassmen ever...We wouldnt get comp picks for osi and kp until next year. Additionally, we are cutting osi I believe so we don't get a comp pick for him period

evojutsu
02-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I'd love to trade down and accumulate picks but what people don't understand is its not just up to the giants.. Obviously they have to find a team that is willing to move up and give us what we thinks fair.. Its not as easy as "we should move down"..lol

Something i was thinking about , and hoping maybe reese would talk to MIA about is trading our 1st to Miami for there 2nd's and maybe a 5th...

The dolphins could then secure someone at 12(maybe Fisher?) and then grab a WR at 19 like Keenan Allen? We would then have 3 2nd rders, a 3rd, and i bet we get a comp pick or 2 with OSI and KP most likely leaving as well.. We'd have tons of picks in a draft that has most underclassmen ever...

Somewhat my plan, as i suggested with stock piling 2nd rounders by trading our first round pick. But if Ansah or a stud DT is there, we jump with on it. I think there is plenty of talent in the 2nd rd but it depends who drops to us

Captain Chaos
02-08-2013, 04:58 AM
We see this logic every year, the problem is that you need to have someone with a huge need to be willing to trade. Could happen but I think they stay with the hand they are felt....

Rawdog550
02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Trading down doesn't make sense for the Giants at all!!!!!!! How does that do the Giants a better service by giving up the 19th overall spot and a possible great pick for who knows what later on. The Giants have always been a team that went for best available or drafted by need. This year i thinks it pretty obvious the Giants biggest need is personel to help them Stop the run. Worst Run D in the league last year it has to be addressed and addressed first round. Our CB overall werent that bad Webster was horrid but other than that they were not as bad as so many think. They could not stop the run and that killed them last year. alfred Morris,Ray Rice,Micheal Turner every game they lost they gave up huge amounts of run yardage!!!!! If you can't stop the run you can forget about stopping the pass. Run defense needs to be addressed with urgency if not they won't be making the playoffs again next year.

myles2424
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Trading down doesn't make sense for the Giants at all!!!!!!! How does that do the Giants a better service by giving up the 19th overall spot and a possible great pick for who knows what later on. The Giants have always been a team that went for best available or drafted by need. This year i thinks it pretty obvious the Giants biggest need is personel to help them Stop the run. Worst Run D in the league last year it has to be addressed and addressed first round. Our CB overall werent that bad Webster was horrid but other than that they were not as bad as so many think. They could not stop the run and that killed them last year. alfred Morris,Ray Rice,Micheal Turner every game they lost they gave up huge amounts of run yardage!!!!! If you can't stop the run you can forget about stopping the pass. Run defense needs to be addressed with urgency if not they won't be making the playoffs again next year.
Well after some of the top players, many guys are closely talented....And if theres nobody that is a MUST draft, then trading back is always smart...Just have to have someone else willing to trade....Instead of overdrafting a guy at 19 or picking up a "BPA" that isnt a need, id rather trade back & get who we want/need and get a extra pick.....

drewz
02-08-2013, 05:47 PM
We wouldnt get comp picks for osi and kp until next year. Additionally, we are cutting osi I believe so we don't get a comp pick for him period

No, his contract is voided so he becomes a free agent.

Maybe we do get comp picks for Tollefson, Manninham, Ross and Jacobs though

Rawdog550
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Well after some of the top players, many guys are closely talented....And if theres nobody that is a MUST draft, then trading back is always smart...Just have to have someone else willing to trade....Instead of overdrafting a guy at 19 or picking up a "BPA" that isnt a need, id rather trade back & get who we want/need and get a extra pick.....

Well at 19 I am pretty surethe Giants can find a player that they feel is worth the 19th overall pick that they could use right away!!!! There are a few DT/NT that could easily go in that spot that the Giants could use desperatley. Giants have never traded down befor I don't see any reason to start now. Take what you can get at the position you are in rather than giving up your spot for an extra guy in the 3rd or 4th round. I don't like the idea of drafting down unless you have a team that is set and you just wanna pick up some extra depth. The Giants arent in that position.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
No, his contract is voided so he becomes a free agent.

Maybe we do get comp picks for Tollefson, Manninham, Ross and Jacobs though Jacobs doesnt count he was cut. We lost 3 and signed 2 Bennett and Locklear. So we get 1 pick. Maybe a 5th probably a 6th

nycsportzfan
02-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Jacobs doesnt count he was cut. We lost 3 and signed 2 Bennett and Locklear. So we get 1 pick. Maybe a 5th probably a 6th I never did realize we wait untill following yr for Comp picks.. Either way, any comp pick is nice, the way Reese has gotten helpful parts late in draft before.. A 5th would be ideal.. They come in handy if u wanna move around mid rds, knowing u got that comp pick, if u lose a late rd pick trading up..

Carter.525
02-08-2013, 11:13 PM
I never did realize we wait untill following yr for Comp picks.. Either way, any comp pick is nice, the way Reese has gotten helpful parts late in draft before.. A 5th would be ideal.. They come in handy if u wanna move around mid rds, knowing u got that comp pick, if u lose a late rd pick trading up..

maybe Reese will find the JPP of long snappers

gmen0820
02-08-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm always an advocate for manipulating the draft board, a la New England. They've turned the draft -- HELL, they've turned personnel management into a freaking art form.