PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical RB Situation

Moke
02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Hypothetical, and no need for sources, just a curious question. So please don't lock this, mods.

Let's say we lost Bradshaw. We were stuck with David Wilson and Andre Brown for the year.

Would you be okay with this? What happens if David Wilson goes down? Do you trust Andre Brown to be the starting RB for this team?

Discuss. Really curious to see what you think about Brown's abilities specifically and if he's a starting caliber RB, or just a complementary 2nd back... so shoot away.

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I don't think Bradshaw is going anywhere barring injury. His contract is such that it would cost more in cap space to cut him than to keep him. If Bradshaw were somehow injured such that he'd be out for the season, I think Brandon Jacobs would be getting a Blackburn call. After his experience in SF, he'd bite on a vet min contract just so he could pass block for us...

ryan12
02-06-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think Bradshaw is going anywhere barring injury. His contract is such that it would cost more in cap space to cut him than to keep him. If Bradshaw were somehow injured such that he'd be out for the season, I think Brandon Jacobs would be getting a Blackburn call. After his experience in SF, he'd bite on a vet min contract just so he could pass block for us...

agreed on brandon jacobs i think we will get him for dirt cheap. and brown is a free agent. i want bradshaw to stay backing up wilson only if brad restructures deal if not cut him.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Bradshaw is going to get released. We will roll with Wilson/Brown next season.

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
agreed on brandon jacobs i think we will get him for dirt cheap. and brown is a free agent. i want bradshaw to stay backing up wilson only if brad restructures deal if not cut him.

I don't think we'd actually sign jacobs though, barring injury knocking out one of our RBs for the season. Had he not been picked up by the 49ers it would probably have been him that got the call after Brown's injury rather than Pumpkin...

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 10:39 AM

From what I remember though, it would be more of a cap hit to cut him than to roll with him next season... For the time being, I see the same 3 guys in 2013 as there were in 2012, just with the carries more evenly distributed than just all Bradshaw like it was last year...

ryan12
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM

you might be right

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Lumpkin will become our feature back in the event Wilson goes down. Just joking but he was actually good at the draw lol.

Bradshaw is actually a negative hit to the cap if we release him so I expect him to stick around unless something significant happens to him in camp.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 10:43 AM
From what I remember though, it would be more of a cap hit to cut him than to roll with him next season... For the time being, I see the same 3 guys in 2013 as there were in 2012, just with the carries more evenly distributed than just all Bradshaw like it was last year...
From what I understand that's not true. I think we would save something like $3MM or more to cut him.
I love the kid but the cap is what it is. That room under the cap is important to help our team in other areas.
I think the FO is looking to Wilson to be the guy (with assists from Brown) from here on.

Moke
02-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Are you believing we will not roll with a 3rd RB? Because that is scary as hell to go with that duo/tandem.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Hypothetical, and no need for sources, just a curious question. So please don't lock this, mods.

Let's say we lost Bradshaw. We were stuck with David Wilson and Andre Brown for the year.

Would you be okay with this? What happens if David Wilson goes down? Do you trust Andre Brown to be the starting RB for this team?

Discuss. Really curious to see what you think about Brown's abilities specifically and if he's a starting caliber RB, or just a complementary 2nd back... so shoot away.

If Brown has healed fully (i.e. the Giants are comfortable with his playing status for 2013) I'd be fine with Wilson, Brown, Lumpkin and Scott as my RB corps.

Moke
02-06-2013, 10:57 AM
If Brown has healed fully (i.e. the Giants are comfortable with his playing status for 2013) I'd be fine with Wilson, Brown, Lumpkin and Scott as my RB corps.

What was Lumpkin's contract? I thought it was a 1 year. Did we sign him for more than that? I would be okay with that RB corp myself. Just worried if Wilson doesn't pan out right away and that Brown goes down... but then again, we have time for management and coaching staff to see how Wilson does before the season.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
From what I understand that's not true. I think we would save something like $3MM or more to cut him.
I love the kid but the cap is what it is. That room under the cap is important to help our team in other areas.
I think the FO is looking to Wilson to be the guy (with assists from Brown) from here on.

Cutting Bradshaw would save us $1.25 million. He's already hit his $9 million guarantee of which we still owe for the cap $2.5 mill over the next two years (2013, 2014).

His salary is $3.75 for 2013. 3.75 - 2.5 = 1.25.

Not exactly a cut worthy savings (but then again, every little bit helps).

Drez
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Bradshaw is going to get released. We will roll with Wilson/Brown next season.Seeing as it will cost us $750k more to cut AB than to keep him, I don't see us cutting him.

Drez
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Cutting Bradshaw would save us $1.25 million. He's already hit his $9 million guarantee of which we still owe for the cap $2.5 mill over the next two years (2013, 2014).His salary is $3.75 for 2013. 3.75 - 2.5 = 1.25.Not exactly a cut worthy savings (but then again, every little bit helps).His salary is $3m, and capwise we still owe him $3.75m of his signinh bonus. We lose $750k.

ShakeandBake
02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
His salary is $3m, and capwise we still owe him $3.75m of his signinh bonus. We lose $750k.

This, and the guy can still play. Putting up 1000 yards when you are playing injured all year is no simple task.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Are you believing we will not roll with a 3rd RB? Because that is scary as hell to go with that duo/tandem.
You're kidding right?
Obviously I was talking about who would be the top 2.

Moke
02-06-2013, 11:16 AM
You're kidding right?
Obviously I was talking about who would be the top 2.

You're obviously getting older than you really are and just getting real ****ing defensive. Get a grip old man, read the question and answer it the same way I was asking it, in fine tone.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
You're obviously getting older than you really are and just getting real ****ing defensive. Get a grip old man, read the question and answer it the same way I was asking it, in fine tone.
Sorry.

Let me restate.

Well my lovely fellow, I was just suggesting who the top 2 RB's would be. I apologize for not including the notion that there would also be at least two other backs on the roster.
There is no excuse for my misleading post. I simply throw myself at the mercy of the MB court.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
His salary is $3m, and capwise we still owe him $3.75m of his signinh bonus. We lose $750k.

Not what I'm seeing.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/ahmad-bradshaw/

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry.

Let me restate.

Well my lovely fellow, I was just suggesting who the top 2 RB's would be. I apologize for not including the notion that there would also be at least two other backs on the roster.
There is no excuse for my misleading post. I simply throw myself at the mercy of the MB court.

Off with his Morehead!

ShakeandBake
Bradshaw is a better back than Brown anyway when healthy. I would much rather have Wilson/Bradshaw than Wilson/Brown as far as sharing carries are concerned. Bradshaw is still faster than Brown, he can actually break runs for more than 3 yards at a time.

Morehead State
Seeing as it will cost us $750k more to cut AB than to keep him, I don't see us cutting him.
If this is true then I agree with you. I'm not sure it is but of course I'm not sure what day it is.

It feels like Wednesday though.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
What was Lumpkin's contract? I thought it was a 1 year. Did we sign him for more than that? I would be okay with that RB corp myself. Just worried if Wilson doesn't pan out right away and that Brown goes down... but then again, we have time for management and coaching staff to see how Wilson does before the season.

Yeah but I'm fairly we could sign him for league minimum still (or something very close).

Moke
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry.

Let me restate.

"You're kidding, right?"

Drez
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
If this is true then I agree with you. I'm not sure it is but of course I'm not sure what day it is.

It feels like Wednesday though.I screwed up. I accidentally counted his 2012 bonus money, too. OOOOOPSS!!! lol

Seeing as we'd actually save money by cutting him, I see it as very possible that he could be cut.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I screwed up. I accidentally counted his 2012 bonus money, too. OOOOOPSS!!! lol

Seeing as we'd actually save money by cutting him, I see it as very possible that he could be cut.
Just when I was being nice!!!!!

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
We draft a RB in the 6th round

MattyD21
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Ton of Running back free agents this year

myles2424
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Brown's long injury history bothers me....Id expect Wilson/Brown/Scott/Rookie going into 2013....

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
We will sign a cheap veteran backup

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Lumpkin?

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Lumpkin?

Nah, someone who is actually decent. A Javon Ringer type (I don't even know if he's a FA).

A lot of vets will be on the streets in the next few weeks.

myles2424
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
much rather roll the dice on a late round young Rb.....

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
much rather roll the dice on a late round young Rb.....

We might do both.

joemorrisforprez
02-06-2013, 05:21 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Gilbride lean on Lumpkin this year.

LOL.

Honestly though, I see Brown and Wilson 1/2.....splitting carries would be fine with me, whatever works.

joemorrisforprez
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Lumpkin will become our feature back

If Gilbride could, he would.

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM
If Gilbride could, he would.

Maybe that would get him his 3rd title as OC while you sit in your basement and type about how dumb he is.

jomo
02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Discuss. Really curious to see what you think about Brown's abilities specifically and if he's a starting caliber RB, or just a complementary 2nd back... so shoot away.I wouldn't be OK with losing Wilson but the salary cap doesn't allow a team to go deep with multi million dollar players. Actually the cap doesn't allow that anywhere. I wouldn't be OK with Eli going down but it doesn't mean we need Matt Stafford as his backup.The cap needs to be balanced across the team and across different units such as OL, RB etc.