PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith?

dnotch121
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Now before you get the tar and feathers hear me out. With the way Victor Cruz contract negotiation going would it be a bad idea to bring him back? He knows the offense and hasn't done anything since leaving ny to warrant a big payday. He will be begging to come back if Cruz walks. Would you guys be ok with it? Of course I would much rather keep Cruz but its not looking like he's gonna give a hometown discount. Thoughts? Or even amendola

Buddy333
02-06-2013, 11:35 AM
No.

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
I'd rather roll with Barden the Terrible...

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Now before you get the tar and feathers hear me out. With the way Victor Cruz contract negotiation going would it be a bad idea to bring him back? He knows the offense and hasn't done anything since leaving ny to warrant a big payday. He will be begging to come back if Cruz walks. Would you guys be ok with it? Of course I would much rather keep Cruz but its not looking like he's gonna give a hometown discount. Thoughts? Or even amendola
He can't play anymore. He just isn't the same guy since the Microfracture surgery.
Its too bad but its just the way it is.
(Unless you mean Steve Smith from Carolina...Haha)

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
(Unless you mean Steve Smith from Carolina...Haha)

Oh yeah if we could jack THAT steve smith, i'm all for it...

jomo
02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
The two receivers are not connected. Smith can't replace Cruz' production.
If we want to give Smith a look as a number 5 receiver on the cheap that's a whole different topic.
His problem with being our #4 or 5 is that he isn't worth much on ST and all of our backup receivers need to excel there in order to stick. That is Barden's problem as well. Smith also hasn't shown that he is bak from the knee surgery at a level that allows him to compete in the NFL,

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
If we want to give Smith a look as a number 5 receiver on the cheap that's a whole different topic.
His problem with being our #4 or 5 is that he isn't worth much on ST and all of our backup receivers need to excel there in order to stick. That is Barden's problem as well.
#4 or #5 WR's need to play ST's.
Its almost impossible to imagine that Smith would ever be a consideration for us.
I actually think his career is over.

Drez
02-06-2013, 11:41 AM
NO.

jomo
02-06-2013, 11:43 AM
#4 or #5 WR's need to play ST's.
Its almost impossible to imagine that Smith would ever be a consideration for us.
I actually think his career is over.I agree that his career is likely over. I know this is an unpopular position among some here but Smith made the right decision to take the extra money for his family from the Eagles. Unfortunately, for a guy who we thought was social media saavy, he fumbled the end game here. That said, we were smarter than the Eagles in that transaction and so was Smith.

dnotch121
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
His problem with being our #4 or 5 is that he isn't worth much on ST and all of our backup receivers need to excel there in order to stick. That is Barden's problem as well. Smith also hasn't shown that he is bak from the knee surgery at a level that allows him to compete in the NFL,

When SS was in ny he was 1 of the best 3rd down Wr's in the league. He may not be a down field threat like Cruz but he kept the chains moving. We struggled a lot on 3rd downs lately. Most of it is Gilbrides fault but 3rd downs were his specialty.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree that his career is likely over. I know this is an unpopular position among some here but Smith made the right decision to take the extra money for his family from the Eagles. Unfortunately, for a guy who we thought was social media saavy, he fumbled the end game here. That said, we were smarter than the Eagles in that transaction and so was Smith.
Man I completely agree with that. He made the right decision to take advantage of the stupidity of the Eagles.
Everyone was trashing him here when he did that but it was by far the best decision he could make.

Morehead State
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
When SS was in ny he was 1 of the best 3rd down Wr's in the league. He may not be a down field threat like Cruz but he kept the chains moving. We struggled a lot on 3rd downs lately. Most of it is Gilbrides fault but 3rd downs were his specialty.
Right....When SS was here............past tense.
He can't play anymore.

Rudyy
02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
No.

njg85m
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Key word being "were".

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
The two receivers are not connected. Smith can't replace Cruz' production. If we want to give Smith a look as a number 5 receiver on the cheap that's a whole different topic. His problem with being our #4 or 5 is that he isn't worth much on ST and all of our backup receivers need to excel there in order to stick. That is Barden's problem as well. Smith also hasn't shown that he is bak from the knee surgery at a level that allows him to compete in the NFL, I hope they re-sign Hixon

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Too late for an SS return.

Moke
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
I think there a lot more other viable WRs I'd take over Steve Smith at this point.

Old Giant
02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
When have the Giants brought anyone that had left on poor terms back for another look? Answer for SS is no.

B-Red22
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
No, this was brought up not to long ago, and it was a no then too

jimsgints
02-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Before you put too much more thought into this, you should relize it's not a move the Giant organization would even concider.

BigBlue1971
02-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Smith is done in the nfl. if he cant start with the Rams how will he start here?

i think Jernigan will get a chance to show his potential and show us a good game! i would try him before bringing Smith back.

nycisgreat
02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=dnotch121;678411]Now before you get the tar and feathers hear me out. With the way Victor Cruz contract negotiation going would it be a bad idea to bring him back? He knows the offense and hasn't done anything since leaving ny to warrant a big payday. He will be begging to come back if Cruz walks. Would you guys be ok with it? Of course I would much rather keep Cruz but its not looking like he's gonna give a hometown discount. Thoughts? Or even amendola[/QUOTE

Amendola is like a carbon copy of Cruz. He is a stud. If we got Amendola, I wouldn't mind if Cruz walked.

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=dnotch121;678411]Now before you get the tar and feathers hear me out. With the way Victor Cruz contract negotiation going would it be a bad idea to bring him back? He knows the offense and hasn't done anything since leaving ny to warrant a big payday. He will be begging to come back if Cruz walks. Would you guys be ok with it? Of course I would much rather keep Cruz but its not looking like he's gonna give a hometown discount. Thoughts? Or even amendola[/QUOTE

Amendola is like a carbon copy of Cruz. He is a stud. If we got Amendola, I wouldn't mind if Cruz walked.

lol . . . Amendola can't hold Cruz's jock . . . .

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Do you mean Danny Amendola in St. Louis? Where is the similarity to Cruz?

RECEIVING

Year
Team
G
Rec
Yds
Avg
Yds/G
Lng
TD
20+
40+
1st
FUM

St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL)

TOTAL

Ruttiger711
02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=nycisgreat;678573]Do you mean Danny Amendola in St. Louis? Where is the similarity to Cruz?
RECEIVINGYearTeamGRecYdsAvgYds/GLngTD20+40+1stFUM2012St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL)116366610.660.5563523822011St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL)15459.045.018000302010St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL)16856898.143.1363203512009St. Louis Rams (http://www.nfl.com/teams/st.louisrams/profile?team=STL)14433267.623.325110201TOTAL421961 ,7268.841.156782964Actually - after September Cruz averaged less yards per game than Amendola.

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=RoanokeFan;678587]Actually - after September Cruz averaged less yards per game than Amendola.

So? Do you think that means that Amendola is a "carbon copy" of Cruz?

Ruttiger711
02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
So? Do you think that means that Amendola is a "carbon copy" of Cruz?

Don't know how you got there but it was more of a response to asking about ANY similarity to Cruz. So there you go.

TCHOF
02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't know how you got there but it was more of a response to asking about ANY similarity to Cruz. So there you go.

Gotcha . . . the post that started this claimed that Amendola was a "carbon copy" of Cruz. My bad.

Kruunch
02-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Amendola is a carbon copy of Steve Smith 2009, except Amendola can't walk from here to there without a body part falling off.

Cruz is a home run threat ... Amendola isn't (more of a possession guy).

jomo
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I hope they re-sign Hixon+1 he does so many good things for us.

Shockeystays08
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM

News Flash, we have a guy on the roster named Jerell Jernigan. Drafted to take Smith's spot and being groomed slowly to replace Cruz if need be.

mattajw
02-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Seriously? that ship has sailed!

ryan12
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
I hope they re-sign Hixon

you love hixon ro

ryan12
02-06-2013, 05:34 PM
News Flash, we have a guy on the roster named Jerell Jernigan. Drafted to take Smith's spot and being groomed slowly to replace Cruz if need be.

jj is terrible how dare you mention him in same sentence as cruz

dnotch121
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
jj is terrible how dare you mention him in same sentence as cruz This....JJ hasn't shown anything. Maybe on st but not on offense

Shockeystays08
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
jj is terrible how dare you mention him in same sentence as cruz

You need to expand your tunnel vision. To say JJ is terrible is based on what? His oppurtunities have been limited. When given the chance he has come through. if JJ was terrible he wouldn't of been a 3rd round pick and he wouldn't be on the roster. He had the MOST daily top five plays in training camp. He hasn't dropped anything. He has shown good after the catch potential and his one kick off return went for 60 yards. He passed Barden on the depth chart and saw snaps at the end of the year before Randle did in a couple of games. He has better hands than Cruz and is faster than Cruz. Is he as good as Cruz? Nope not yet! If you think Steve Smith is a better option to replace Cruz than JJ is I suggest you do some homework. Going by your how dare you mention him in the same sentence as Cruz I'm guessing your still in school and familiar with homework!

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I think the fact that they gave JJ the #12 speaks volumes...

DownWitJPP
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
You need to expand your tunnel vision. To say JJ is terrible is based on what? His oppurtunities have been limited. When given the chance he has come through. if JJ was terrible he wouldn't of been a 3rd round pick and he wouldn't be on the roster. He had the MOST daily top five plays in training camp. He hasn't dropped anything. He has shown good after the catch potential and his one kick off return went for 60 yards. He passed Barden on the depth chart and saw snaps at the end of the year before Randle did in a couple of games. He has better hands than Cruz and is faster than Cruz. Is he as good as Cruz? Nope not yet! If you think Steve Smith is a better option to replace Cruz than JJ is I suggest you do some homework. Going by your how dare you mention him in the same sentence as Cruz I'm guessing your still in school and familiar with homework!

+1 people like to hate on JJ because they haven't seen much of him on the field. The only reason he hasn't played is because Cruz turned into such a good player. People don't realize he has good hands and is faster than Cruz like you mentioned. Kind of hard to get on the field when you have a superstar in front of you