PDA

View Full Version : I don't think we re-sign Bennett

WinterIsComing
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
With the current cap situation and Nicks/Cruz contracts hanging over the team, I think we might look else where for TE help. Bennett played well, but IMO not well enough to justify a long term contract. TE has never played a major role in our offense and I don't see that changing. All we need to do is get our run game back in action. It would make more sense to fortify the OL and possibly even pursue Ballard, even though he is a RFA.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
TE has always played a huge role in this offense.

Bennett had BY FAR the best year of any TE in the first year of Gilbrides offense.

teaneck
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I think TE has played a bigger role than you're giving the position credit for.

hadenough
02-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Bennett had BY FAR the best year of any TE in the first year of Gilbrides offense.

I completely disagree....Giants won a superbowl with an undrafted rookie TE and a 4th round rookie. No need to pay millions for a TE when low cost options like Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard worked just as well. I like Bennett, but all for not spending money on that position.

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
With the current cap situation and Nicks/Cruz contracts hanging over the team, I think we might look else where for TE help. Bennett played well, but IMO not well enough to justify a long term contract. TE has never played a major role in our offense and I don't see that changing. All we need to do is get our run game back in action. It would make more sense to fortify the OL and possibly even pursue Ballard, even though he is a RFA.

That would be a huge mistake on Reese's part unless Bennett prices himself in the stratosphere, which I don't expect. He is an offensive lineman above anything else and they already have issues there that they have to address. Bennett has put up excellent numbers in his forst year here and we have every reason to expect he will continue to improve.

WinterIsComing
02-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Bennett also totally disappeared in games. He might be a good blocker, yes, but we can find that cheaper.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I completely disagree....Giants won a superbowl with an undrafted rookie TE and a 4th round rookie. No need to pay millions for a TE when low cost options like Kevin Boss and Jake Ballard worked just as well. I like Bennett, but all for not spending money on that position.

Ballard wasent a rookie, he spent his entire rookie season on the giants practice squad.

Kevin Boss was totally useless as a rookie.

And we may not be talking about much money. Bennett only cost $3 mil last season, if he is willing to take around that money yearly that is nothing on the position at all. Easily affordable.

Carter.525
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I think he stays.. I hope he stays

BlueReign
02-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I think he will stay for 3-4 mil/yr. Like the guy a lot.

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
That would be a huge mistake on Reese's part unless Bennett prices himself in the stratosphere, which I don't expect. He is an offensive lineman above anything else and they already have issues there that they have to address. Bennett has put up excellent numbers in his forst year here and we have every reason to expect he will continue to improve.

I don't think Bennett will do that. He is on record stating that he would offer the Giants a hometown discount and that he wanted to try and get his brother to play for us. I don't know if it's all smokescreen publicity, but he seems to really like the Giants, especially compared to how he was treated by the cowboys. He seems to care about more things than just money...

Bennett also totally disappeared in games. He might be a good blocker, yes, but we can find that cheaper.

It largely depended on the game plan. If the game plan needed a blocker, he went in as a blocker and didn't produce much receiving. If the game plan called for him to be a receiver, he exploded. I don't think we could find a better bargain for that kind of versatility...

chizz
02-06-2013, 04:19 PM
If he comes cheap then i think he stays.

Evo'Ed
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
I would love to resign Bennett but the recent tone of releasing all of these veterans and that the FO believes Mike Pope can coach up any TE has me thinking Bennett will not be back.

hadenough
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Ballard wasent a rookie, he spent his entire rookie season on the giants practice squad.

And we may not be talking about much money. Bennett only cost $3 mil last season, if he is willing to take around that money yearly that is nothing on the position at all. Easily affordable.

Whey pay $3 mil when you can pay $500k? Bradshaws contract was $3 mil and he got released.

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
It'll depend on the rest of the TE market too. Wouldn't surprise me if teams viewed him as the best option at the position.

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Bennett was second in receptions and TDs, that's some disappearing act. He played with a separated knee cap and he is first and foremost a lineman. I don't know how much he wants to earn over the span of his next contract but we can't simply say someone else will replace him since no one had before he got here.

In all honesty, there were games every swinging **** on offense dispappeared in 2012

BlueReign
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Whey pay $3 mil when you can pay $500k? Bradshaws contract was $3 mil and he got released.
Bradshaw had a hard time staying healthy and has 2 solid RBs behind him.

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
I forgot about him lol

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Bradshaw also has crap-for-feet...

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Who are you going to get for $500K

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM

Because 500k gets them 3 catches for 65 yards. That was Kevin Boss's rookie production.

Ballard had 0 catches his rookie year.

Giants can NOT go into a season with a late round or undrafted rookie and expect any sort of production from that position.

hadenough
02-06-2013, 04:35 PM

Adrien Robinson

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Adrien Robinson

And what has he done? He couldn't break Bear Pascoe on the depth chart... I know that he's the so-called "JPP of Tight Ends", but even JPP was starting to make waves his rookie year... Robinson can't even get snaps in-game.

All that said, I hope Robinson can form a good chemistry with Bennett... we'd have our own Gronk/Hernandez combo.

hadenough
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Because 500k gets them 3 catches for 65 yards. That was Kevin Boss's rookie production.

Ballard had 0 catches his rookie year.

Giants can NOT go into a season with a late round or undrafted rookie and expect any sort of production from that position.

Adrien Robinson....same thing as Ballard....Ballard 1st year as a starter....38 Rec. 604 yds 4 tds....in 14 games....not far from Bennett. He's not worth it.

C1010
02-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I think TE has played a bigger role than you're giving the position credit for.

x2 on this. I hope we sign him, I really do, he is an integral part of the offense.

hadenough
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
And what has he done? He couldn't break Bear Pascoe on the depth chart... I know that he's the so-called "JPP of Tight Ends", but even JPP was starting to make waves his rookie year... Robinson can't even get snaps in-game.

Ballard coudn't get snaps. Boss couldn't get snaps til Shockey got hurt. Did you know what they were capable of before they played....doubt it.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Adrien Robinson....same thing as Ballard....Ballard 1st year as a starter....38 Rec. 604 yds 4 tds....in 14 games....not far from Bennett. He's not worth it.

It doesnt work that way. Just because a guy was behind someone else on the depth chart doesnt mean they will automatically have a 600 yard season.

And even so, the gain a guy makes from his first to second year in this system has been staggering... Which means Bennetts production would also increase a ton with him being in his 2nd year

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Adrien Robinson

What have you seen from Robinson to believe he can replace Bennett in the lineup? Remember, they've already signed Pascoe which may be a sign Robinson still need to develop.

dnotch121
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
but he's half man half amazing.....

Carter.525
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
but he's half man half amazing.....

half man, half unicorn

rxc999
02-06-2013, 05:02 PM
i think he will stay...reese probably gives him another year to 2. money always a factor.

JPP=BEASTMODE
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
With the current cap situation and Nicks/Cruz contracts hanging over the team, I think we might look else where for TE help. Bennett played well, but IMO not well enough to justify a long term contract. TE has never played a major role in our offense and I don't see that changing. All we need to do is get our run game back in action. It would make more sense to fortify the OL and possibly even pursue Ballard, even though he is a RFA.He will get resigned.

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM

And we may not be talking about much money. Bennett only cost $3 mil last season, if he is willing to take around that money yearly that is nothing on the position at all. Easily affordable. Kevin Boss wasen't totally useless as a rookie! What are u talking about? He played when he had to, and he produced.. Shockey didn't go out untill like week 9 or 10 or something.. Boss caught 9balls with 2TDS in our last 5games going into the postseason, and then had another 5catches in 4games in the postseason including that huge 45yrder in super bowl..

Far from useless... If he started playing right from Day 1, he'd of been putting up better numbers by seasons end, but he was certainly not useless...

Flip Empty
02-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Because many TEs are only good at blocking or receiving - Bennett can do both.

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I've always said i think we can find a cheaper alternative then resigning Bennett, who seemed better the first half of the season, then 2nd... I woulden't break the bank for em, thats for sure.. If they bring em back for a bargain, i'd be ok with that..

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Because many TEs are only good at blocking or receiving - Bennett can do both.

AH, logic

C1010
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
half man, half unicorn

He is THE BLACK UNICORN...

RichGiants81
02-07-2013, 03:02 AM
Bennett is def a keeper, he had pro bowl numbers the first half of the season and played hurt the second half

Diamondring
02-07-2013, 03:11 AM
That would be a huge mistake on Reese's part unless Bennett prices himself in the stratosphere, which I don't expect. He is an offensive lineman above anything else and they already have issues there that they have to address. Bennett has put up excellent numbers in his forst year here and we have every reason to expect he will continue to improve.But players don't improve all of the time and what you see is what you get.

BuffyBlueII
02-07-2013, 03:14 AM

+1

Captain Chaos
02-07-2013, 05:39 AM

Agreed, he will only get better next year!

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Kevin Boss wasen't totally useless as a rookie! What are u talking about? He played when he had to, and he produced.. Shockey didn't go out untill like week 9 or 10 or something.. Boss caught 9balls with 2TDS in our last 5games going into the postseason, and then had another 5catches in 4games in the postseason including that huge 45yrder in super bowl..

Far from useless... If he started playing right from Day 1, he'd of been putting up better numbers by seasons end, but he was certainly not useless...

How is 5 catches in 4 games productive? Lol

Sorry but going into this season saying 150 yards is all we need from the TE position we are in big trouble.

PBTimmons
02-07-2013, 06:26 AM

Sorry but going into this season saying 150 yards is all we need from the TE position we are in big trouble.

To his credit, I think you missed his point entirely.

To your credit, I think his point was weak. It's almost to say that if we put Adrien Robinson in the game, Eli would never throw him the ball and Robinson would never catch it if he did.

nycsportzfan
02-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Sorry but going into this season saying 150 yards is all we need from the TE position we are in big trouble. No, u said "USELESS", and he was anything but useless.. The guy was a 5th rd pick out of W.oregon for godsake, and had to litteraly be thrown to the wolves becuase of season ending injury to Jeremey Shockey.. For a 5th rd pick from W.Oregon to come in and make some timely catches and a couple big TD's for us, i don't call that useless.. Obviously, i think he'd of had a bigger yr , had he started right outta the gates.. By wk 9 or whatever, he'd probably be mixing in alot of 3-6 catch games, and be a weapon in the redzone..

Again, he wasen't useless by any stretch...

nycsportzfan
02-07-2013, 07:35 AM
To his credit, I think you missed his point entirely.

To your credit, I think his point was weak. It's almost to say that if we put Adrien Robinson in the game, Eli would never throw him the ball and Robinson would never catch it if he did. I don't think u got the point either..lol My point is simply he wasen't useless.. U obviously gotta look at the entire picture which is this kid outta W.Oregon just got thrown into starting lineup when a yr before he was playing against teams like Dixie St and Azusa Pacific..lol He made some big catches for us, and we continued to run the ball well with him in the lineup, and he scored a couple TD's... And it wasen't like he was on the field all the time either... Michael Matthews started 6games for us, and Boss only started 2! I mean, come on now!

Carter.525
02-07-2013, 09:37 PM
[According to ESPN New York, the Giants "hope to re-sign" free agent Martellus Bennett.

They'd be foolish not to. Bennett finally began to live up to his immense potential in 2012, setting new career highs across the board with 55 catches, 626 yards and five touchdowns despite fighting through a knee injury. Still only 26 (in March), Bennett is on the record as hoping to remain in New York, going so far as to say he'd be open to a "hometown discount." Bennett could be an outside candidate for the franchise tag, which is projected as $5.962 million for tight ends.

Source: ESPN New York (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/22621/positional-analysis-tight-end)

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:40 PM
TE has always played a huge role in this offense. Bennett had BY FAR the best year of any TE in the first year of Gilbrides offense.he was good at times. Then in some games he was just invisible... Lets see what Robinson has to offer.

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:42 PM
You know Ballard will be available this upcoming season for the Patriots. But with Hernandez and Gronk. How much time he sees the field will be remain to be seen. I think they also have another TE on roster that might be ahead of Ballard as well. Maybe they release him and we can sign him back cheap

JJC7301
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
We should resign him because he's not bad and he shouldn't be too expensive.

I'm not interested in drafting a TE high in the draft.

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
We should resign him because he's not bad and he shouldn't be too expensive. I'm not interested in drafting a TE high in the draft.actually I think Bennett will be looking for big money. He said it himself. I think we will let him move on

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 10:03 PM
It doesnt work that way. Just because a guy was behind someone else on the depth chart doesnt mean they will automatically have a 600 yard season.

And even so, the gain a guy makes from his first to second year in this system has been staggering... Which means Bennetts production would also increase a ton with him being in his 2nd year I saw a big difference between Bennett and Ballard. I think if Nicks was healthy stretching the field he would of been even better. After Defenses started covering Ballard he became a non factor.

miked1958
02-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Ballard may get released as I said above. He won't get any playing time in the patriots system

gmenfan0488
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Bennett's a good blocker, and a good receiver, and played well in the first season he was given a chance. we keep him

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-07-2013, 10:52 PM

agreed,,and he wants to be here and is willing to take a bit less to stay...get it done if at all possible,,we need this guy. I was very impressed with his attitude and overall body of work this season.

JJC7301
02-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Well he should be resigned. I don't think he's going to cost an arm-and-a-leg, and he brings pretty skill sets.

Sosynciere
02-07-2013, 11:43 PM
I don't see any tight ends on the market who would be better besides maybe Finley, but he's not as good as Bennett in the trenches, something I'm sure the organization appreciates. Outside shot at the franchise tag though seems excessive, but based on his production (albeit one year production), it's not too far from market value.

A good QB is like a Steve Nash of football. He gets guys PAID. Eli is getting all of these guys paid.

egyptian420
02-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Love Bennett, hope we re-sign him.

If he was gone it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a TE early if one slipped to us. At this point I think our first round draft pick is fair game for all positions except: QB, RB, WR. Besides those 3 positions I wouldn't be surprised if we pick anything as long they're of great value.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Love Bennett, hope we re-sign him.

If he was gone it honestly wouldn't surprise me if we drafted a TE early if one slipped to us. At this point I think our first round draft pick is fair game for all positions except: QB, RB, WR. Besides those 3 positions I wouldn't be surprised if we pick anything as long they're of great value.

the kid from ND has been mocked to us in the second very recently.

PennState1
02-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Bennett was second in receptions and TDs, that's some disappearing act. He played with a separated knee cap and he is first and foremost a lineman. I don't know how much he wants to earn over the apn of his next contract but we can't simply say someone else will replace him since no one had before he got here.In all honesty, there were games every swinging **** on offense dispappeared in 2012Well said!! The dude played hurt for at least 1/2 the season. When he wasn't hurt he made big contributions. He scored a TD in every game leading up to the injury!

Mercury
02-08-2013, 08:43 AM
It seems kind of strange that JR only signed him to a one year deal. And wasn't that before the draft last year? If so, it wouldn't be to give Adrien Robinson a year to train and mature until he's ready to start.

That said, if JR really believes he has the JPP of TEs on his roster, I doubt he will resign MB. It wouldn't surprise me at all if JR doesn't bring MB back, and everyone cries foul over it.

PBTimmons
02-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I saw a big difference between Bennett and Ballard. I think if Nicks was healthy stretching the field he would of been even better. After Defenses started covering Ballard he became a non factor.

I completely agree. The difference between Ballard and Bennett is clearly visible on the field. Bennett is just more athletic and is capable of top tier TE play. At times our offense looked totally useless last year, but as many have mentioned that is probably a result of not having Hakeem at 100%.

Bennett should be a high priority.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 10:44 AM
why persue Ballard?? Dont even know if the guy can play??
Bennet has done more at the TE postion than any Giant in a quite a while.

flashnando
02-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Me! lol

I would sign on the dotted line for $500K

BigBlue1971
02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
i think Bennett stays! i keep referring to the statement he made about the "hometown discount". im holding him to his word with that.

hes perfect for the Giants at that position.

Greg Schiano
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey... if you don't want him, I know someone who does. ;)

hungrrrry
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
I like him and think he will just get better as he sees the Giants are willing to allow him to grow into the playe he wants to be, as long as he grows into the player they want him to be....he has already done that part in Dallas without promise a a more expanded role. I think he is worth $3-4 mil/yr long-term if we can swing that.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Me! lol

I would sign on the dotted line for $500K

I let Jerry know you're available. Stay by your phone on March 12th

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
why persue Ballard?? Dont even know if the guy can play??
Bennet has done more at the TE postion than any Giant in a quite a while.

Since Shockey

ny06
02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I let Jerry know you're available. Stay by your phone on March 12th

Phone conversation

Flashnando: Hello

Jerry Reese: Hi this is Jerry Reese, is this Flashnando?

Flashnando: yes it is.

Jerry Reese: we're not interested. (Click)

VBGiantsFan
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Since Shockey

Disagree, Boss was just as good, just no where near as flashy as Shockey or the "Black Unicorn"

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 03:09 PM
But players don't improve all of the time and what you see is what you get.

You're right, but this was Bennett's first year here after sitting behind what's his name in Dallas, put up very respectable numbers, understands is role here, and, while a veteran, didn't get a lot of playing time in Dallas.

egyptian420
02-08-2013, 03:16 PM
You're right, but this was Bennett's first year here after sitting behind what's his name in Dallas, put up very respectable numbers, understands is role here, and, while a veteran, didn't get a lot of playing time in Dallas.+1....not only was this the best year of his career, but it was some of the most production we've had at that position for a long time (not to mention he's basically a bonus offensive lineman)

For him to have that much production in his first year in our offense shows a lot of future potential. This potential combined with his enthusiasm to keep playing here is more than enough for me to want him back.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Phone conversation

Flashnando: Hello

Jerry Reese: Hi this is Jerry Reese, is this Flashnando?

Flashnando: yes it is.

Jerry Reese: we're not interested. (Click)

I think you have it wrong, Jerry would say Mr. Flashnando!

GameTime
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Disagree, Boss was just as good, just no where near as flashy as Shockey or the "Black Unicorn"
sorry....he was even close to what Shockey was......and I think Bennet is a better TE then Boaa as well. Boss was very good while he was here but not the athletes tho other two were and are....

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 06:29 PM
sorry....he was even close to what Shockey was......and I think Bennet is a better TE then Boaa as well. Boss was very good while he was here but not the athletes tho other two were and are....

There can't be any doubt that Bennett is the real deal and I think he'll get a long term deal

Sean Montemayor
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
No. Bennett will get a long term deal. He has earned it. He's an asset to the GIANTS. Here's to hoping he retires one in a great number of years ahead. Cheers.

BeatYale
02-08-2013, 08:44 PM

The Super Bowls don't matter when evaluating the teams performance, particularly in the regular season in which we barely won enough games to make the playoffs. Just because we won with Boss and Ballard doesn't mean the position isn't that significant. A good pass catching TE who creates match up problems is a great security blanket for any QB and compliments the receivers.

egyptian420
02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
The Super Bowls don't matter when evaluating the teams performance, particularly in the regular season in which we barely won enough games to make the playoffs. Just because we won with Boss and Ballard doesn't mean the position isn't that significant. A good pass catching TE who creates match up problems is a great security blanket for any QB and compliments the receivers.This

bigblue58
02-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Bennett has been the best all around TE we've had here in a long time! He knows how to get open, catches everything thrown to him and he can block! Letting him go, when we finally have a TE who is the whole package, would be monumentally stupid.

Sosynciere
02-08-2013, 09:44 PM
No. Bennett will get a long term deal. He has earned it. He's an asset to the GIANTS. Here's to hoping he retires one in a great number of years ahead. Cheers.

That's long term deals to Beatty, Boothe, Cruz, Nicks, and now Bennett?

It's no wonder we're cutting left and right.