PDA

View Full Version : DT in the 1st round

egyptian420
02-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Was thinking this before Canty got cut, now it seems even more possible. I think we need a DT in the first 2 rounds or in FA because we're very thin at that position right now.

What do you guys think?

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
It was possible then, and its possible now.. I'm a Kawaan Short guy myself.. Big enough and stout enough to stop the run, but also pressures the QB and makes plays in backfield and has a knack for blocking kicks...

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I think we need an OT first round still, but DT should definitely come in the 2nd round

myles2424
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
It was possible then, and its possible now.. I'm a Kawaan Short guy myself.. Big enough and stout enough to stop the run, but also pressures the QB and makes plays in backfield and has a knack for blocking kicks...
Floyd is getting talked up in the 1st round now....Richardson id be happy with....
Whats the word on Jenkins? I hear he rocked the senior bowl.

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Was thinking this before Canty got cut, now it seems even more possible. I think we need a DT in the first 2 rounds or in FA because we're very thin at that position right now.

What do you guys think?

I still prerfer OT

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
If they resign Beatty or take another OT in FA, OT early in the draft isnt that likely. You dont take an OT top 20 to be a right tackle. Unless you have a crap QB and need to rely 100% on the running game.

egyptian420
02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
I'd be happy with O-line, but we really need to do something about our DT's for the sake of stuffing the run, especially when you consider our LB situation.

Imagine another beast next to Linval, that would form a wall.

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM
If they resign Beatty or take another OT in FA, OT early in the draft isnt that likely. You dont take an OT top 20 to be a right tackle. Unless you have a crap QB and need to rely 100% on the running game.

I think having a solid O-line is important in the passing game even moreso than the running game. If we can just have the 5 OL be good enough to handle pass protection by themselves (maybe with TE help vs blitzes), Eli could pick apart any defense just using Jernigan and Barden... This year's "yes we're actually taking this game seriously" pro bowl showed me what Eli can do with time in the pocket. That should be the #1 priority on offense is giving Eli time in the pocket...

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM
I think having a solid O-line is important in the passing game even moreso than the running game. If we can just have the 5 OL be good enough to handle pass protection by themselves (maybe with TE help vs blitzes), Eli could pick apart any defense just using Jernigan and Barden...

You dont need to go first round to find a guy to play RT, run or pass. You just dont. You find those guys in the mid rounds or in FA.

First round is for left tackles. Right tackles if you have no passing game.

rxc999
02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
we still need OT if not in 1st then definately 2nd and same with DT...would there be any good OT in 2nd round if we went with DT in 1st?

TroyArcher
02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I think so, but who is our RB?

Toadofsteel
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
You dont need to go first round to find a guy to play RT, run or pass. You just dont. You find those guys in the mid rounds or in FA.

First round is for left tackles. Right tackles if you have no passing game.

do you want another year of the LDE basically having a free path to Eli on every play?

egyptian420
02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I think so, but who is our RB?this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
do you want another year of the LDE basically having a free path to Eli on every play?

No, but you dont have to take a guy at 19 overall in the draft to find a RT. You can find those guys later.

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Who should we take at #19 overall that is a RT?

joemorrisforprez
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm hoping for offensive line, DT, or LB in round 1.

G-Men Surg.
02-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I still prerfer OT
Its getting a little bit more clear.
OT, DT and then possibly LB.

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:36 PM
If they resign Beatty or take another OT in FA, OT early in the draft isnt that likely. You dont take an OT top 20 to be a right tackle. Unless you have a crap QB and need to rely 100% on the running game. Ya, but if u take a guy like Lane Johnson, u could play him at RT, while also keeping in mind, down the rd, u might lose Beatty(after new contract up), and hopefully u got a guy in Lane Johnson u can then slide over to LT.. Also, Beatty has been somewhat injury prone, so a guy like Lane JOhnson could offer verstaility in that he could slide over to LT in case of injury as well.. When Johnson's rook contract is up, and beattys is getting close or is also up(new contract), u would also have options to either let Beatty go and slide Johnson over to LT, or resign both, or whatever...

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
No, but you dont have to take a guy at 19 overall in the draft to find a RT. You can find those guys later. You can find every positon later, and u can also strike out bigtime.. Later is a huge question mark in the draft or as UDF's..

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Ya, but if u take a guy like Lane Johnson, u could play him at RT,

Except Lane Johnson is not really a RT type player. He is a LT.

This is the strangest forum though, never would believe a place so obsessed with getting guards and right tackles.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
You can find every positon later, and u can also strike out bigtime.. Later is a huge question mark in the draft or as UDF's..

Go through any list of the top RTs in the league. How many of them were 1st rounders?

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I just don't see Lane Johnson or Eric Fisher dropping to 19 like a bunch of people want either. There are teams ahead of us with far worse OT situations that will see these guys as future LTs to protect their QB for 10+ years. If you really want a RT in this draft, you could get someone like Menelik Watson in the 3rd, no?

myles2424
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Regardless of what postion, we need to hit a home run in the 1st/2nd & solid players throughout....We cannot afford a crap draft....

hugehomer
02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Bennie Logan,way too small

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Go through any list of the top RTs in the league. How many of them were 1st rounders? It dosen't matter to me about that, becuase if u get a guy like Lane Johnson, ur getting a bookend tackle who projects to be able to handle the blindside as well.. I have no issue having 2 stalwart OT's at both ends of the Oline... And again, down the line if we lose Beatty, we have a guy to put in at LT...

myles2424
02-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Im not familiar with logan,but Geno Atkins was also "too small" coming out...

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM

Same size as Henry Melton. He would be fine and he could always add weight so it isn't an issue.

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Its getting a little bit more clear.
OT, DT and then possibly LB.

Games are won and lost in the trenches

Redeyejedi
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM

What do you guys think? Maybe they have a starter in mind in FA

G-Men Surg.
02-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Except Lane Johnson is not really a RT type player. He is a LT.

This is the strangest forum though, never would believe a place so obsessed with getting guards and right tackles.
You may be right but don't kid yourself, you don't find " NFL ready " plug and play RT and G in later rounds. Not saying the Giants have to go after RT or G in first day but obviously will depend in what they do signing their own FAs or going after FA veterans or if they will continue cutting guys on roster. But if a team decides to fill a G or RT hole thru the draft then you have to go after them early.

Kruunch
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking we're taking a DT and a CB in the first two rounds. Depending who falls where will determine the first pick.

We have a ton of tackle prospects (McCants, Brewer, Mosely) and our eternal safe guard in Diehl, so I'm not seeing an OT pick early. I'd expect us to grab one of the OG/OT hybrids in the 4th or 5th round.

nycsportzfan
02-07-2013, 09:44 AM
You may be right but don't kid yourself, you don't find " NFL ready " plug and play RT and G in later rounds. Not saying the Giants have to go after RT or G in first day but obviously will depend in what they do signing their own FAs or going after FA veterans or if they will continue cutting guys on roster. But if a team decides to fill a G or RT hole thru the draft then you have to go after them early. I know both teams in the superbowl's RT's were drafted in the first rd... Davis and McKinnie... Also, Lane Johnson is the exception becasue we can play em at RT and hes great insurance if we lose Beatty down the line to switch over to LT or in case Beatty gets hurt we got someone capable, and Beatty gets hurt alot...

Tommy_Ribs
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Seems like half of the Mocks I have seen having us going DT in round 1, so the "experts" are on the same page.

If Reese has a guy there at DT he really likes he'll grab him if the Grade is High.

Reese kind of goes BPA, but we have also, in my opinion, grabbed guys high at positions of need. Hakeen Nicks and David Wilson immediately come to mind. JPP and Amukamara were picks where :the Grade was too high we couldn;t pass them up" type picks.

Depending on what we do in FA, right now I could us grabbing from any of these slots early in the draft:
OL - G or T
DT
LB

I also think we will nab a RB, a Pass Rusher and will pick at least one Guard. We almost always pick a Guard.

Carter.525
02-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I'll gladly take Sheldon Richardson in the 1st..:o

G-Men Surg.
02-08-2013, 02:32 AM
I know both teams in the superbowl's RT's were drafted in the first rd... Davis and McKinnie... Also, Lane Johnson is the exception becasue we can play em at RT and hes great insurance if we lose Beatty down the line to switch over to LT or in case Beatty gets hurt we got someone capable, and Beatty gets hurt alot...
Thats a fact. Draft G and RT in later rounds and you end up with a lot of long term projets and few pan out, obviously there are exceptions but the risk/reward is huge if you miss out. That been said I love Lane and know he has played RT but I truly don't think thats his natural spot and I doubt he could excel playing there in the NFL. But if Beatty walk? I would love him to anchor the blindside of Eli for years to come.

Captain Chaos
02-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Personally, I feel that with the 31st ranked Defense they need to focus on that and fix the O line by signing our FAs Beatty, Booth... DT in the first round wouldn't be a bad thing, I could also see a CB or DE. Looking over the draft class there is some excellent CB value that could be picked up in the 2nd or 3rd round. Will be interesting to see how things develop. I could easily get on board with Enigma's draft....

Rawdog550
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not big on Richardson i think he is overrated... The guy I think who's stock is going to rise big time is Jesse Williams from Bama. Played a tough SEC schedule and produced for the Tide. He is able to play any technique on the DL so he is versatile. He is the hardest hitting DT in the draft according to the Bleacher Report. He is as good a run stopper as there is in this draft. Thats what the Giants needs a guy who can take on Double teams Williams can do that. And a guy who can get thru them and bring down the runner in the backfield Williams can do that. He is fast enough to play in a 4-3 defense. This guy is said to be running 4.75 40's at 325-330 lbs. He is quick off the ball he just needs some help with his pass rush. Other than that he can take on and break thru double teams, he can collapse the pocket and stuff running backs in their tracks and can play anywhere on the DL.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Richardson vs Kentucky I uploaded it today . Larry Warford works him for most of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCdimep24sA

The Bengals may release Domata Peko not a pass rusher but would improve the run defense . Probably could be had for minimal guaranteed money. I dont think the Giants like Polynesians we never draft them

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm not big on Richardson i think he is overrated... The guy I think who's stock is going to rise big time is Jesse Williams from Bama. Played a tough SEC schedule and produced for the Tide. He is able to play any technique on the DL so he is versatile. He is the hardest hitting DT in the draft according to the Bleacher Report. He is as good a run stopper as there is in this draft. Thats what the Giants needs a guy who can take on Double teams Williams can do that. And a guy who can get thru them and bring down the runner in the backfield Williams can do that. He is fast enough to play in a 4-3 defense. This guy is said to be running 4.75 40's at 325-330 lbs. He is quick off the ball he just needs some help with his pass rush. Other than that he can take on and break thru double teams, he can collapse the pocket and stuff running backs in their tracks and can play anywhere on the DL. Also a really good fullback in short yardage situations

Sean Montemayor
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
It was possible then, and its possible now.. I'm a Kawaan Short guy myself.. Big enough and stout enough to stop the run, but also pressures the QB and makes plays in backfield and has a knack for blocking kicks... +1

CGYgiant
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
+1

I don't think Jerry Reese will draft a guy with a very questionable motor. At least I hope he doesn't.

juice33s
02-09-2013, 02:38 PM
The need is certainly there, but I don't think you ever want to draft by position because then you end up reaching on players when better talent is available. With that said, this draft is supposedly deep at DT, so this might be a year where need does in fact match up with value

Redeyejedi
02-09-2013, 03:27 PM
The need is certainly there, but I don't think you ever want to draft by position because then you end up reaching on players when better talent is available. With that said, this draft is supposedly deep at DT, so this might be a year where need does in fact match up with valueThey have holes all over the defense they will be able to fill a need

juice33s
02-09-2013, 03:29 PM
They have holes all over the defense they will be able to fill a need
lol, sad but true...Give me your top 5 or so bigboard for the Giants/in your opinion best pick imaginable for the Gmen?

Rawdog550
02-09-2013, 04:05 PM
They have holes all over the defense they will be able to fill a need

Truer words have never been Spoken!!!!!! 31st ranked Defense in the NFL!!!!!! They need to address alot of problems. Run Defense,Pass Defense the CB situation is pretty bad not as bad as the Run D though, and LB the Giants still don't have a Solid ILB who can crop back in coverage or play the run and get in there make big plays on the line of scrimage but then again with a run stuffing DT in there who is able to eat up Double teams it makes things easier for the LBer's.

giants8493
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Who should we take at #19 overall that is a RT? DJ FLucker

Mlerman17
02-09-2013, 05:04 PM
DJ FLucker

not in the first...second maybe tho

Carter.525
02-09-2013, 05:23 PM
DJ FLuckerplease no