PDA

View Full Version : Right now we have ONE starting DT on this team and ZERO depth

NYG4lifeNYK
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Kind of scratching my head on the Canty cut... great player when healthy but he had his injury periods.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I read he only saved us $3M? Not sure that doesn't leave us with a bigger void.

DT: Linval Joseph

Rocky won't be resigned he's way too old now.
Kuhn? What can we expect out of him aside from depth?
Marvin Austin NEEDS to WAKE UP and CONTRIBUTE. If we waste another roster spot on waiting for him to find his game again, that's really going to suck.

I have blind faith in Reese at this point though. I won't question him.

This opens the door for Linval's new contract as he's a FA after next season in 2014.

rtr1105
02-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I liked Kuhn last year before the injury but I don't have tons of faith in him to start. Linval is a good pass rusher and he draws the double team a lot, but I'm not sold on him in the running game completely. However, I do like how he hustles and doesn't give up on the play.

joemorrisforprez
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Marvin Austin must step up or they need to find someone else, stat.

joemorrisforprez
02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Kind of scratching my head on the Canty cut... great player when healthy but he had his injury periods.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I read he only saved us $3M? Not sure that doesn't leave us with a bigger void.

Marvin Austin NEEDS to WAKE UP and CONTRIBUTE. If we waste another roster spot on waiting for him to find his game again, that's really going to suck.

This opens the door for Linval's new contract as he's a FA after next season in 2014.

Reese needs to go on an SEC binge...that's where you go for the trench warfare types.

NYG4lifeNYK
Our DT cubbard is so bare. DT in the first and a vet is almost a definite now.

So much for Ogletree :(

Flip Empty
Right now it's the off-season. The team has seven months to fill the holes, there's still free agency and the draft to come. There's no need to worry just yet.

simmstolt
02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Canty had his moments but needed to be on thhe field a lot more to justify his cost.

myles2424
02-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Bargain FA DT / Rookie is a must....

Giants5699
02-06-2013, 05:44 PM
It's obvious what Reese is doing. He's rebuiliding by unloading our old overpayed players now in order to develop younger guys quicker. Next man up. Should be an exciting draft.

nycisgreat
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM

I haven't always agree with the choices Reese has made, but I have to amid. Reese has a really really good eye for talent. I think we will be fine roster wise come july (training camp). I am confident that he will make things happen.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Plenty of guys out there who likely wont be that expensive.

Jason Jones
Terrance Knighton
Randy Starks
Justin Bannan

etc.

KillaRich
02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
I know we got Wilson and Williams to take over for Bradshaw and Boley... But Canty?? I really hope they arent expecting Austin to make that HUGE jump..... Bernard doesnt look like he'll be resigned ...... Draft?? What are Giants thinking in the Draft we have so MANY NEEDS now, LB,DT, OT etc

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 05:49 PM
They have free agency still.

And FA is loaded with DTs and OTs.

jomo
02-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I know we got Wilson and Williams to take over for Bradshaw and Boley... But Canty?? I really hope they arent expecting Austin to make that HUGE jump..... Bernard doesnt look like he'll be resigned ...... Draft?? What are Giants thinking in the Draft we have so MANY NEEDS now, LB,DT, OT etcIt doesn't really matter. We can find better than what we've been getting out of Canty for half the price.

NYG4lifeNYK
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Jason Jones
Terrance Knighton
Randy Starks
Justin Bannan

etc.
I just hope we get a good player. Wouldn't mind Starks.

Rusty192
02-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Jason Jones
Terrance Knighton
Randy Starks
Justin Bannan

etc.Would love Pot Roast on this team.

TheEnigma
02-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Henry Melton would be sweet but that dude is probably going to be too expensive.

slipknottin
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Henry Melton would be sweet but that dude is probably going to be too expensive.

Yea, he should get top 5 DT money

NYG4lifeNYK
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM

He is a monster... man is he big.. looks and plays bigger than he actually is though.

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I liked Kuhn last year before the injury but I don't have tons of faith in him to start. Linval is a good pass rusher and he draws the double team a lot, but I'm not sold on him in the running game completely. However, I do like how he hustles and doesn't give up on the play. Kuhn resembles Canty alot physique wise, and could probably do alot of the same things, and plays with relentless motor... Maybe they see something in Kuhn that gives us best parts of Cantys game plus soemthing else?? Kuhn is definetly in this equation, i can gurantee u that...

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:22 PM

So much for Ogletree :( Personally , i have a feeling giants are gonna show alot of liking to Kawaan Short.. I don't know why, i just do.. Hes got alot of Fred Robbins in his game, and i could see him being a surprise 1st rder, or even trade down some spots and take em...

nycsportzfan
02-06-2013, 06:28 PM
He is a monster... man is he big.. looks and plays bigger than he actually is though. To much doe most likley.. Now there is some guys i'd like to see about, like Glenn Dorsey and Sammie Lee Hill... Hill would be a solid run plugger and when healthy, and playing(behind fairly and suh in DET), he can get a decent pass rush going... He might be worth bringing over, simply becuase he hasen't been able to get much playing time in DET recently... I think hes a good player...

paulj
02-07-2013, 08:12 AM
I think the Giants could go after Chicago DT Henry Melton, or go after a good cover CB and an inexpensive DT.

Carter.525
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
I have no faith in Marvin Austin at this point.. William Joseph 2.0

Shimmy
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
I always put my trust in the Giants organization. They have to see something in their little eye for the DT position in order for them to feel comfortable releasing Canty.

That's what sucks about the time gap from the Super Bowl to the NFL Draft. So much questioning and wondering.

ozzie0075
02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Arthur Jones is a good young player that shouldn't be expensive and can play inside in the 4-3.

Tommy_Ribs
02-07-2013, 09:11 AM
The Canty cut makes sense. Bring in a cheaper/younger guy.

Canty was hurt a lot, and I think a lot of guys on D were not hungry last year.

We have to get younger and faster.

We have cap room and the draft, and guys waiting in the wings.

TheAnalyst
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM

So much for Ogletree :(

Not true at all. We seem to always go BPA in the first, with the exception of last year. We can always find DTs later in the draft that contribute. Also, we may find a 1yr 1M type DT in FA.

Morehead State
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Gee!
Good thing we don't have to play a game for a while.

TheAnalyst
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Dont forget, we only have 1 RB now too. Brown is coming off yet another major injury. Scott has had zero time in 2 years.

sethm
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
My take is that although nobody from the Giants approached Canty to discuss salary reductions prior to Reese taking action; I believe they feel they can bring him back cheaper with a more team friendly contract. Kuhn will be on PUP list IMO as well. My bet is on Sammy Lee Hill not a highly rated DT but how does he see significant minutes when the starting DTs ahead of you are Suh, Fairley and Corey Williams. To me he is the perfect Reese target under used underappreciated with a chip on their shoulder Allah Bennett.

BROADWAYSTORM
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Chris Canty is the most overrated player in the history of the NY GIANTS. IN THE HISTORY! I can't believe how stupid some fans are. It's like they don't know football. They don't watch the games. Injuries or not, for a guy of his frame he is absolutely a non factor. He blows up the backfield once a game every other game and then allows huge chunks of yards up the middle to mediocre backs. Common people. A guy like that is not worth 7-8 million a year. I'd rather see a guy like Kuhn making rookie minimun do something like that than this paramecium.

jomo
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
The calculation is that with what we save on Canty, we can find a replacement capable of equal or greater production and we will have money left over to do some other things. I believe that is sound thinking. Nothing against Canty, he has just become a bad value for us.

sethm
02-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Chris Canty is the most overrated player in the history of the NY GIANTS. IN THE HISTORY! I can't believe how stupid some fans are. It's like they don't know football. They don't watch the games. Injuries or not, for a guy of his frame he is absolutely a non factor. He blows up the backfield once a game every other game and then allows huge chunks of yards up the middle to mediocre backs. Common people. A guy like that is not worth 7-8 million a year. I'd rather see a guy like Kuhn making rookie minimun do something like that than this paramecium.

Hmmm
The most overrated ever in Giants history soooo
Ron Dayne or maybe Tyrone Wheatley or how about Derek Brown or maybe George Adams wasn’t he a 1st rounder that was sucky or how about Cedric Jones who the Giants drafted in the 1st round without knowing he was blind in 1 eye. I’m sure there are smarter than I am that can add a litany of people to that list

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM

This opens the door for Linval's new contract as he's a FA after next season in 2014.Lets wait to see what happens in FA before the panicking begins. Im sure a starting DT will be brought in

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Hmmm
The most overrated ever in Giants history soooo
Ron Dayne or maybe Tyrone Wheatley or how about Derek Brown or maybe George Adams wasn’t he a 1st rounder that was sucky or how about Cedric Jones who the Giants drafted in the 1st round without knowing he was blind in 1 eye. I’m sure there are smarter than I am that can add a litany of people to that list

Remember when we were talking about how awesome this guy was?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8rOvj-DTOXU_pfkSxPdF-3jyvuWxX-TXRUIc94KlLZQkZLDFifw

sethm
02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Remember when we were talking about how awesome this guy was?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8rOvj-DTOXU_pfkSxPdF-3jyvuWxX-TXRUIc94KlLZQkZLDFifw

LOL the key word there was "was". The guys I listed pretty sure never had the word "was" before the word awesome in any discussions here. I get your point though I do remember that we all thought Canty was the plug we needed in the middle.