PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Running Back Position: Where They Are Now, And What Could Be Next

RoanokeFan
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/02/giants_running_back_position_w.html

Excerpt "The Giants released starting running back Ahmad Bradshaw today, as part of a round of cuts that saves the team about $13.75 million in cap space. The next question: Where do they go from here? Here's a look at the Giants running back position, and what moves they could make in the coming weeks:

David Wilson, last year’s first-round pick, is capable of being a “lead dog,”GM Jerry Reese said last month on WFAN Radio (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/01/david_wilson_can_be_a_featured.html). Wilson’s NFL career got off to a slow start, but he picked up toward the end of the season, finishing with 71 carries for 358 yards and four rushing touchdowns. The speed he showed as one of the league’s best kickoff returners can be a weapon, but he’ll need to spend the offseason mastering the offense and improving in pass protection.

Re-sign Andre Brown. The Giants are expected to tender Brown, a restricted free agent, who scored eight touchdowns last season before breaking his fibula. Brown recently wrote on his Twitter account that his rehab from the injury is over and he is 100 percent. Tender amounts start at $1.323 million for the original-round level, which would stipulate compensation of a fourth-round pick in Brown’s case.

Tom Coughlin loves a three-headed monster at running back, so they’ll need to explore options. The 2013 running back free-agent market isn’t particularly deep, with Reggie Bush, Rashard Mendenhall and Shonn Greene among the names on the market. The Giants like Wilson and Brown, so what could make sense is a budget-friendly veteran who has the pass-protection skills to be used in a third-down role. They likely wouldn’t use a high draft pick at the position after selecting Wilson last year but could add depth in a later round." Read more...

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Not worried about the RB position, we should be concerned with the defense

dezzzR
02-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I think Brown will be the "lead dog". Better suited to handle the load.

Rudyy
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I think Brown will be the "lead dog". Better suited to handle the load.+1

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-06-2013, 09:35 PM
lets grab miguel maysonet in the draft if possible.

NYG4lifeNYK
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
The Giants like Wilson and Brown, so what could make sense is a budget-friendly veteran who has the pass-protection skills to be used in a third-down role.

Someone name me a better option than Jacobs.

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
lets grab miguel maysonet in the draft if possible.never heard of him but I watched his highlights, he looks solid.

jomo
02-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Not worried about the RB position, we should be concerned with the defenseFix the OL and the running game takes care of itself.

bigal1giant
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
I was just thinking of Jacobs also after hearing Bradshaw was let go! If, and it's a big if, we could get him for a reasonable price, and he could fit in as a situation back, then I think he could give us 1-2 years of a bruiser for those 3rd downs we needed to convert this past season! All these cuts to date are acceptable but why is no one hearing about possibly getting rid of Diehl and Webster????

Martyr
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Fix the OL and the running game takes care of itself.

Im in

Sosynciere
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
The Giants like Wilson and Brown, so what could make sense is a budget-friendly veteran who has the pass-protection skills to be used in a third-down role.

The article names three: Bush, Mendenhall, and Greene.

nhpgiantsfan
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
The article names three: Bush, Mendenhall, and Greene.

Ok, now name someone that fits into our budget better than Jacobs.

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Ok, now name someone that fits into our budget better than Jacobs.Jacobs is done, he's useless, even if we signed him for free

nhpgiantsfan
02-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Jacobs is done, he's useless, even if we signed him for free

Are you comfortable going into the season with Wilson, Brown, & Scott or Trupkin? Because that scares the hell out of me.

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Are you comfortable going into the season with Wilson, Brown, & Scott or Trupkin? Because that scares the hell out of me.yes I am, all of those guys are better than Jacobs right now

nhpgiantsfan
02-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Really? Brown had his healthiest year last year and made it through 8 games? The team clearly has no plans for Scott, I mean they brought guy in off the street that went right ahead of him on the depth chart. But your good with that, ok!

Cloud57
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Really? Brown had his healthiest year last year and made it through 8 games? The team clearly has no plans for Scott, I mean they brought guy in off the street that went right ahead of him on the depth chart. But your good with that, ok!I'm all for bringing in better RBs either through FA or the Draft, I just don't think Jacobs is that guy

Daytona Giant
02-07-2013, 01:38 AM
I keep hearing how injury prone Brown is cut him some slack he had a broken fibulla not a hamstring or a ACL there is no way to avoid that!!

Sosynciere
02-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Ok, now name someone that fits into our budget better than Jacobs.

Hell, a fifth round draft pick would do the trick better than Jacobs at this point. Look, I get what you're saying, but Jacobs will NOT be the best bargain buy in the RB market this off season by a long shot. I'd be absolutely depressed if he was the best we could come up with on the back end of the depth chart.

There's no change in the outlook between Wilson, Brown, Scott or Wilson, Brown, Jacobs. If anything, I'd rather have the guy who could help with special teams. I think you just think Jacobs is good value at the minimum, while others may not. Fair point, as it is the minimum we're talking about.

Sean Montemayor
02-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Fix the OL and the running game takes care of itself. +1

BigBlue1971
02-07-2013, 12:52 PM

at least Jacobs is healthy and rested! but hes not the bruiser he was before!

id opt for for Mendenhall or Greene before BJ.

both of those guys are probably outside what the Giants are willing to pay!

TheShouldersOf
02-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Considering no one makes an offer on Brown if they tender him,

Wilson should be the primary back anyway, Brown is a backup as necessary

PennState1
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Fix the OL and the running game takes care of itself.You bet! We do need depth in case of injury.

jomo
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
You bet! We do need depth in case of injury.Plus at least one starter my fellow Nittany Lion.

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Considering no one makes an offer on Brown if they tender him,

Wilson should be the primary back anyway, Brown is a backup as necessary

Hopefully we don't have a "primary back." That's the fastest way to run down a player. Brown should play in tandem with WIlson.