PDA

View Full Version : Possible Veteran FA RB's for Backup Duty

TCHOF
02-07-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.theredzone.org/showposition.aspx?position=RB

I could definitely see us bringing in one of these UFA's for the league minimum for insurance purposes. Jackie Battle, Justin Forsett, Brian Leonard, Stephens-Howling, Kevin Smith look like some guys who could fit the bill.

bigblue58
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
A FA running back is the last thing the Giants should spend money on!
If anything, an established pass rusher or run stopper is a bigger priority, if they choose to splurge on a FA.

titwio
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't mind Stephens-Howling at all. Gives the team more speed and can contribute on returns too. I don't think it'll happen though cause he had somewhat of a small breakout late last year and could get some interest from other teams as a Sproles type back.

Jackie is interesting also but would probably cost more than they want to spend. I think they just end up taking a late round running back again.

TCHOF
02-07-2013, 09:33 AM
A FA running back is the last thing the Giants should spend money on!
If anything, an established pass rusher or run stopper is a bigger priority, if they choose to splurge on a FA.

Eh, no one is recommending a "splurge" here . . . . just bringing in a veteran backup for the league minimum. This will almost surely happen.

Edit: Forgot that we still have Ryan Torrain. he could be the veteran that we keep around as insurance in case of injury.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
The minimum on guys a few years into the league is not cheap. We're talking 700k a year + depending how long they have been in the league.

If they want more depth behind Wilson, Brown, and Scott. Then draft a guy mid-late rounds

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
The minimum on guys a few years into the league is not cheap. We're talking 700k a year + depending how long they have been in the league.

If they want more depth behind Wilson, Brown, and Scott. Then draft a guy mid-late rounds They will draft a mid round bruiser that can block. Maybe Leveon Bell someone like that

Tommy_Ribs
02-07-2013, 12:56 PM
I am wondering if D'Relle Scott finally gets his shot as well. We know the guys has speed!

Howling would be good, Forsett would be good.

BlueBlooded1979
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Jacobs for third down duty. Knows the protections, Eli and TC trust him and lets face it this is a passing team that thrives on holding protection for a long time.

The vet min for him is 820k but the cap hit is half of that due to the veteran salary benefit.

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Wouldn't mind LeGarrett Blount if we can't bring back Brown.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Wouldn't mind LeGarrett Blount if we can't bring back Brown.brown is a restricted rights free agent. The only way he can even talk to other teams is if the giants chose to not keep him.

njg85m
02-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Oooh, Danny Woodhead is on that list. I wonder what his market value is? A cheap RB/WR is always beneficial.

Flip Empty
02-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Edit: Forgot that we still have Ryan Torrain. he could be the veteran that we keep around as insurance in case of injury.
Nah, he was only a one-year deal. And he's rubbish.

I imagine Stephens-Howling will attract a bit of attention on the open market, and I don't think he'd be a good fit considering both Wilson and Scott are burners.

What about Mike Goodson?

Cloud57
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
shonn greene, we could use a power back

Flip Empty
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Andre Brown?

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM

Bringing in a former Jet is like dating a woman that has herpes.

Cloud57
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Andre Brown?Brown is is an injury waiting to happen, Greene could be his backup. I like Bush but he is more like wilson. Mendenhall is another guy that we could get.

Cloud57
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Bringing in a former Jet is like dating a woman that has herpes.Giants won't sign him anyways, they will sign some cheap mediocre RB from that list.

Flip Empty
02-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Brown is is an injury waiting to happen, Greene could be his backup. I like Bush but he is more like wilson. Mendenhall is another guy that we could get.
The guys you're mentioning have all been starters recently. The Giants can't afford them, nor would they need them.

Shockeystays08
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
They will draft a mid round bruiser that can block. Maybe Leveon Bell someone like that

Good projection!

dave56dj
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Something many fans fail to consider when thinking about depth is tread on the tires - especially at the back spot. While there are always big name vets out there most are not playing b/c they have seen so many carries there bodies are breaking down and the names are just that. This is why the giants went with torain and lumpkin last year. Guys who had some experience but still relatively fresh.

Out of all the names mentioned i think stephens howling has the least tread and most talent.

Ladder27
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't mind LeGarrett Blount if we can't bring back Brown.

NO WAY! Hot head and can't control his emotions. Do you not remember all the crap he did leaving collage and with the Titens? Not a good fit with our team.

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 03:51 PM
NO WAY! Hot head and can't control his emotions. Do you not remember all the crap he did leaving collage and with the Titens? Not a good fit with our team.
Yeah but he runs with that same attitude. He doesn't divide locker rooms because he's a 3rd down back that nobody associates with anyway. It's not like he's TO where people pretend to care about what he saids. Blount does dumb stuff and you're like "well at least he's only a 3rd down back".

myles2424
02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
much rather roll the dice on a young guy & see what we get...