PDA

View Full Version : Mobile QB's and the Giants O

Red Dog
02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Anyone notice that the last two SBs have been won by drop-back-slow-afoot QBs? The runners didn't make it again. Let's not be too quick to to say it's over for Eli, and that we need a runner at QB. (Our D needs to get quicker because of the runners) The runners have good numbers,move the ball, get hurt a lot and sit at home for the BIG game. SF's QB made it to the SB, but lost. I blame Fran Tarkington for all this.

TCHOF
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Who is saying "it's over for Eli and that we need a runner at QB"?

Sean Montemayor
02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
When he's no longer a sophomore at Texas A&M, We need to draft Johnny Manziel as soon as possible. He would be an outstanding, remarkable runner when needed. I'm sure Eli would love this backup, compared to how sorry Carr was. And who's the new backup? Painter? Protect Eli or we're screwd. Curtis Paitner is the QB that backed up Peyton For the Colts 2 years ago. Remember their record? 2-14. Yikes.

joemorrisforprez
02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Anyone notice that the last two SBs have been won by drop-back-slow-afoot QBs? The runners didn't make it again. Let's not be too quick to to say it's over for Eli, and that we need a runner at QB. (Our D needs to get quicker because of the runners) The runners have good numbers,move the ball, get hurt a lot and sit at home for the BIG game. SF's QB made it to the SB, but lost. I blame Fran Tarkington for all this.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing watching Flacco.

I was also thinking the Eli made scoring a touchdown on the final drive look alot easier than it really is.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Eli would have read that final blitz by the Ravens and checked down to another play, or gone to his hot read.

I'll take a good pocket passer anyday over the helter-skelter guys like RG3, Vick, Kaepernick, etc.

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing watching Flacco.

I was also thinking the Eli made scoring a touchdown on the final drive look alot easier than it really is.

I don't think it's a stretch to say Eli would have read that final blitz by the Ravens and checked down to another play, or gone to his hot read.

I'll take a good pocket passer anyday over the helter-skelter guys like RG3, Vick, Kaepernick, etc.

It's one thing to be a mobile pocket passer in the vein of Rodgers or Romo, and a whole different thing to be relying on your legs more than your arm like ACL3, *****, Jesus, and Kraepernick. The former go through their progressions like any pocket passer and only use their legs when flushed out of the pocket, while the latter make their one read for the play's intended receiver and take off if that read isn't there.

Quite a few times I saw Randy Moss wide open and Kraepernick tries to force it to a double-covered Crabtree. Kinda reminds me of Eli when Diehl gives up a free rusher and Eli only has time to make one read before getting sacked, forcing it to a double-covered Nicks. Except Kraepernick isn't getting killed by free rushers every down, he has all day to throw and still only makes the one read.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a QB that isn't afraid to run if the play breaks down and the situation calls for it, but primarily I still want a pocket passer to succeed Eli when his time as a Giant is finished.

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
When he's no longer a sophomore at Texas A&M, We need to draft Johnny Manziel as soon as possible. He would be an outstanding, remarkable runner when needed. I'm sure Eli would love this backup, compared to how sorry Carr was. And who's the new backup? Painter? Protect Eli or we're screwd. Curtis Paitner is the QB that backed up Peyton For the Colts 2 years ago. Remember their record? 2-14. Yikes.Manziel is the least impressive of the running College QB's. Much better running QB prospects for the NFL than Manziel

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
It's one thing to be a mobile pocket passer in the vein of Rodgers or Romo, and a whole different thing to be relying on your legs more than your arm like ACL3, *****, Jesus, and Kraepernick. The former go through their progressions like any pocket passer and only use their legs when flushed out of the pocket, while the latter make their one read for the play's intended receiver and take off if that read isn't there.

Quite a few times I saw Randy Moss wide open and Kraepernick tries to force it to a double-covered Crabtree. Kinda reminds me of Eli when Diehl gives up a free rusher and Eli only has time to make one read before getting sacked, forcing it to a double-covered Nicks. Except Kraepernick isn't getting killed by free rushers every down, he has all day to throw and still only makes the one read.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a QB that isn't afraid to run if the play breaks down and the situation calls for it, but primarily I still want a pocket passer to succeed Eli when his time as a Giant is finished. Luck is the epitome of what I would want at QB. Very cerebral , athletic, and accurate.
Kaepernick physically is very impressive but still has a long way to go as a pocket passer.

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Luck is the epitome of what I would want at QB. Very cerebral , athletic, and accurate.
Kaepernick physically is very impressive but still has a long way to go as a pocket passer.

It's basically the argument of brains vs brawn. The main issue is that as one declines physically, the "brawn" mobile QBs lose the speed that gives them an edge, which shortens their careers. The more "mind over matter" pocket passers can extend their careers past 35 most of the time.