PDA

View Full Version : Okaayyyyy so now there's no fire on this team whatsoever......

BlueJayC
02-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Was pi$$ed when they let Jacobs walk not so much because he was that productive last year (2 years ago now) but because he brought a fire to the team......I can't find the quote but he said something along the lines of "You need a bad guy/villian....I'm that guy for the Giants." He was attitude......when he left Bradshaw picked up that slack a bit......fiery little guy.....loved his intensity.

All the successful SB winning Giants teams of the past have had those type of guys.......

I look at the roster today and don't see one player that fits that mold.......the Eli shrug will only take this team so far.

Rolle could be that guy but I'm not sold on it.

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I think Wilson can be that guy... remember the falcons game? He was pretty much the only guy who gave two craps, and unfortunately since he was a rookie nobody was listening to him...

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
That "fire" was the worst running game in the league.

Production is more important than any leadership or fire or whatever other intangibles.

MattyD21
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Antrel Rolle

YATittle1962
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
fire with feet held together by stainless steel screws

Sean Montemayor
02-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Was pi$$ed when they let Jacobs walk not so much because he was that productive last year (2 years ago now) but because he brought a fire to the team......I can't find the quote but he said something along the lines of "You need a bad guy/villian....I'm that guy for the Giants." He was attitude......when he left Bradshaw picked up that slack a bit......fiery little guy.....loved his intensity.All the successful SB winning Giants teams of the past have had those type of guys.......I look at the roster today and don't see one player that fits that mold.......the Eli shrug will only take this team so far.Rolle could be that guy but I'm not sold on it. I say Wilson can be that guy. BTW, love the signature pic. Shows who really runs MetLife lol.

GameTime
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
hey you know what...
**** happens. Players come and players go. Some other player will step up as the "fire"...

Redeyejedi
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Production is more important than any leadership or fire or whatever other intangibles. Great we cant cut Rolle because of his intangibles now. Lets forget the fact he cant cover the deep half and he is supposed to be a safety

shane4177
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM
What about Tuck.......he is firey....when he wants to be!

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 12:25 PM
"Fire" doesn't win games.

TheShouldersOf
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
After the Atlanta game when he said things would have been different if he played, and everyone said he was the emotion and his fire was missing, the Raven's game was next, and we all saw how he looked in that game,

not taking anything away emotion wise, but to say no one else can or will is ignorant

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 12:33 PM
After the Atlanta game when he said things would have been different if he played, and everyone said he was the emotion and his fire was missing, the Raven's game was next, and we all saw how he looked in that game,

not taking anything away emotion wise, but to say no one else can or will is ignorant

Wait are you saying Wilson or Bradshaw?

TheShouldersOf
02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Bradshaw,

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Oh okay good... I was about to say Wilson was just about the only guy that produced vs Baltimore...

dakotajoe
02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Eli's shoulder shrug has yielded him two Super Bowl MVPs. I don't miss the Jacobs led rushing offense that was dead last in the league or his antics.

On the bright side Rex Ryan may be looking for a job around the time Coughlin considers retirement. He can supply the team with the bravado it needs...:D

PennState1
02-07-2013, 12:54 PM
"Fire" doesn't win games.Actually it does. When the difference in talent from one good team to the next is so small, it is fire that makes the difference between a win and a loss. If you don't think the fire that Ray Lewis brought propelled the Ravens along their run you were not watching the same team I was. It was Strahan's fire that lit the fuse for our final push to win the Super Bowl. It was Bradshaw's fire in the San Fran game this year. You can see it if you are looking for it.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Actually it does. When the difference in talent from one good team to the next is so small, it is fire that makes the difference between a win and a loss. If you don't think the fire that Ray Lewis brought propelled the Ravens along their run you were not watching the same team I was. It was Strahan's fire that lit the fuse for our final push to win the Super Bowl. It was Bradshaw's fire in the San Fran game this year. You can see it if you are looking for it.

The ravens defense got worse when ray Lewis was on the field. Did you watch him in the Super Bowl? He was brutally bad.

Fire doesn't do anything. Players doing their jobs does everything.

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
The ravens defense got worse when ray Lewis was on the field. Did you watch him in the Super Bowl? He was brutally bad.Yes but his leadership and will to win was infectious. Just listen to how the players around him talk about him.

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 01:02 PM
The ravens defense got worse when ray Lewis was on the field. Did you watch him in the Super Bowl? He was brutally bad. Fire doesn't do anything. Players doing their jobs does everything.+1

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Yes but his leadership and will to win was infectious. Just listen to how the players around him talk about him.Down the stretch they "played" better. I love players with heart, but if you are uneffective, heart means nothing. Heart + guys who do their part win games = wins games.

Tommy_Ribs
02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
I think we have guys who will step up for us and provide that fire.

JPP, is one of those guys. I think Rolle does that.

I would love for us to draft, or get a FA on either the OL or DL who could show that fire and leadership and have a nasty streak.

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
OKaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy neeeexxxxxxxxxtttttttt maaaaannnnn upppppppp

PennState1
It actually proves the point even more. Even a great leader with declining skills can motivate a team. There have been plenty of cases to prove this. You don't think Elway's leap for the first down motivated his team?

slipknottin
Yes but his leadership and will to win was infectious. Just listen to how the players around him talk about him.

Then pay him to be a coach if that's the only thing he's good at.
I don't care at all how much a guy talks. I want a guy who produces.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
It actually proves the point even more. Even a great leader with declining skills can motivate a team. There have been plenty of cases to prove this. You don't think Elway's leap for the first down motivated his team?

Motivation and leadership are the most crap excuses for anything in football.

Almost as bad as "he's a winner".

Somehow a winning team never has leadership problems. It's only the bad teams. Even with the same roster.

PennState1
Down the stretch they "played" better. I love players with heart, but if you are uneffective, heart means nothing. Heart + guys who do their part win games = wins games.True

PRGiant
Actually it does. When the difference in talent from one good team to the next is so small, it is fire that makes the difference between a win and a loss. If you don't think the fire that Ray Lewis brought propelled the Ravens along their run you were not watching the same team I was. It was Strahan's fire that lit the fuse for our final push to win the Super Bowl. It was Bradshaw's fire in the San Fran game this year. You can see it if you are looking for it.

By your own account, you need talent first... I rather have more talent on the team than more fire.

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Then pay him to be a coach if that's the only thing he's good at.I don't care at all how much a guy talks. I want a guy who produces.Talk?? Not talk, I'm talking about PLAYING with fire not running at the mouth.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Talk?? Not talk, I'm talking about PLAYING with fire not running at the mouth.

What the hell is "playing with fire"?

You mean you want guys who try?

Sure as hell didn't see ray Lewis playing with fire in the SB. Looked like he was playing with two broken legs

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Great we cant cut Rolle because of his intangibles now. Lets forget the fact he cant cover the deep half and he is supposed to be a safety

You can poo poo that notion, but Pierce, who I loved, was here more for his leadership than his athleticism.

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
By your own account, you need talent first... I rather have more talent on the team than more fire.My point exactly. You need both. There are many teams in the NFL with talent. The winning organizations also have on-field leadership and a will to win.

BeatYale
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Production is more important than any leadership or fire or whatever other intangibles.

You didn't know that when players get 'fired up' on the sideline it makes the team magically play better on the field?

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
What the hell is "playing with fire"?You mean you want guys who try?Sure as hell didn't see ray Lewis playing with fire in the SB. Looked like he was playing with two broken legsLewis played his entire career with fire. He always lead by example and sacrificed his body for the game. He had NOTHING left to prove in that game but I bet they don't win the Super Bowl without him on the field...just my opinion

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Playing with fire is Elway's sacrificing his old beat up body, doing a 360 in the air to get a first down in the Super Bowl.

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
You don't think our own LT's "playing like a pack of wild dogs" didn't motivate every player on the field to do just a little bit more when it counted?

Buddy333
02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Rolle? He might be the next man cut.

PennState1
02-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Someone will fill the void, eventually. The good news is that when one leader goes it makes room for another. Question is how long will it take.

BlueJayC
02-07-2013, 01:51 PM
Ultimately to be an effective emotional leader you don't need stats or to lead the lead in rushing you need that one play or to simply show the toughness like Bradshaw did in gutting it out game after game week after week. Lead by example even if it's for only one play.....like Jacobs steamrolling Woodson the first series in GB.....one play but set the tone for the entire game.

I'm trying not to play the "When I played" card but you guys know what I'm talking about.....you get fired up when others do.....momentum is HUGE in team sports more than anything. "Fire" has won games....."Fire" is what gets Giants Stadium fans to their feet on opening kickoffs when Hells Bells starts blaring through the stadium.....I get fired up when these players show that.....not sure the Giants have enough of those type of guys left on the roster......even Canty was that guy in the Jets game last December.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=PennState1;680248]Someone will fill the void, eventually. The good news is that when one leader goes it makes room for another. Question is how long will it take.[/QUOTE
Right. So you want a guy who talks.

I thought you didn't want a guy who talks but a guy who "plays with fire"?

jomo
02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=PennState1;680248]Someone will fill the void, eventually. The good news is that when one leader goes it makes room for another. Question is how long will it take.[/QUOTE
Right. So you want a guy who talks.

I thought you didn't want a guy who talks but a guy who "plays with fire"?I want gnarly OL and nasty LBs. Is that too much to ask for Slip?

rebelfan1966
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Weatherford may be the fireist person on the team now.....

PennState1
02-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure how you would conclude that when I already said talk is cheap. Leadership, self sacrifice and playing nasty has NOTHING to do with talk. Again, talk is cheap.

slipknottin
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Right. And bradshaws and Jacobs, despite all this "leadership and playing nasty" combined for the worst running game in the league?

We're they just not nasty enough? Perhaps their self leadership was not good enough.

Or maybe it's totally meaningless and has nothing to do with their production. Having two broken feet has far more to do with it

PennState1
02-07-2013, 02:19 PM
I guess you completely discount piss poor run blocking?

PennState1
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Hmmm... Multiple 1,000+ yard seasons playing through injury? That's not leadership in your book? Bradshaw should have been released because he is on the down side of his career but I have a hard time with someone who calls himself a Giants fan trying to say that all he did was run his mouth. Go watch the 2 Super Bowls, and the run up to them again and tell me that Bradshaw has not been s leader on this team.

MattyD21
02-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Rolle? He might be the next man cut.

More likely to be team captain . Led team in tackles and is heart and soul of that D which use to be tuck and those guys but they're to busy complementing other teams guys

45Jones
02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I look at the roster today and don't see one player that fits that mold.......the Eli shrug will only take this team so far.

I dunno, this has been posted before and it looks pretty fiery to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1bO123KOEM

flashnando
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
"Fire" doesn't win games.

Right now Reese is putting out the financial fire the front office created a few years ago lol

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Right now Reese is putting out the financial fire the front office created a few years ago lolHaha.

"BOO HOO OMG FIRE IS GONE, WE'RE GOING 0-16!!11", child please.

GiantRoc
02-07-2013, 05:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0fJ_H7omzY

This is what I want. Not just the skill, but the "fire"

2:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vnIRUiEQc&list=PLCx_ORm-30n_bXwvTLuKDuXt6Ge7QPgSq

When I think of a leader and playing with "fire", This is where I find myself looking.

GiantRoc
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I have to think damn near all of us played the game. Who has not been around someone who pumped you up just that little more? Even when I was a Capt. there were other guys on the team that did or acted or said something to hype me up to another level. I tried to be that guy as much as I could, but there was always other guys who got me pumped when I saw that spark shoot out of them too. We may have not always had best talent, but 11 highly motivated men can do a hell of a lot of damage when they are all in it together.

JJC7301
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
This team IS in desperate need of FIRE. I 100% agree.

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Was pi$$ed when they let Jacobs walk not so much because he was that productive last year (2 years ago now) but because he brought a fire to the team......I can't find the quote but he said something along the lines of "You need a bad guy/villian....I'm that guy for the Giants." He was attitude......when he left Bradshaw picked up that slack a bit......fiery little guy.....loved his intensity.All the successful SB winning Giants teams of the past have had those type of guys.......I look at the roster today and don't see one player that fits that mold.......the Eli shrug will only take this team so far.Rolle could be that guy but I'm not sold on it.yea kinda the way Bradshaw was yelling during the redskin game and get into it with TC

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
There was Strahan and Pierce leading the charge 07.. And deon grant somewhat in 11..Going back further you had LT, Carson, banks, Simms, OJ Anderson to name a few