PDA

View Full Version : Will Jerrel Jernigan have a bigger role at WR next season?

GiantsFan27
02-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I remember the coaches and beat reporters were raving about him in training camp but then we never saw him really. was he just buried on the depth chart by cruz, nicks, hixon, randle, barden? supposedly he was picking up the offense much better in practice. with his talent and quickness, can we expect a larger role for him in the slot?

titwio
02-07-2013, 05:04 PM
I think so. The Giants appeared to be working him into the offense more. He's an asset to any offense cause he can line-up anywhere...out of the backfield, go deep, bubble screen, etc.. We saw a little bit of it towards the end of the season when he was used on a reverse.

I was glad to see Gilbride finally taking advantage of his skillset...even if it was just a play here and there. I think he can be a real weapon in this offense.

timmytimm3
02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I think so. The Giants appeared to be working him into the offense more. He's an asset to any offense cause he can line-up anywhere...out of the backfield, go deep, bubble screen, etc.. We saw a little bit of it towards the end of the season when he was used on a reverse.

I was glad to see Gilbride finally taking advantage of his skillset...even if it was just a play here and there. I think he can be a real weapon in this offense.

+1. Speedy and shifty.

Giants5699
02-07-2013, 05:18 PM
He has the skill set of Percy Harvin.

Shockeystays08
02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
He may not have a breakout season but if given the opportunity I think he will be a major contributor. He is 4.4 fast, with shake and bait moves. He is slippery and a tough kid with good hands. He had some punt drops but has held on to everything that has hit his hands from the WR position. He was used a bit more toward the end of the season. We need to be optimistic about his potential. He was a pain in the butt for opposing defenses in college whether it was vs. Marshall and Florida Atlantic or South Carolona and Florida State. He excelled no matter who the competition was. if we loose Cruz JJ may get his shot to strut his stuff. If Cruz remains JJ will get a more limited active role.

SuperNYGiants
02-07-2013, 08:22 PM
JJ may have a role as a returner since Hixon is getting a little old to take on that burden with his repaired knees.

Don't know about JJ as a receiver, too much talent ahead of him in the depth chart more than anything. JJ needs to build some rapport with Eli before he can even sniff the football in a game. Hang out with Eli in the summer like Cruz did last year.

titwio
02-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't know about JJ as a receiver, too much talent ahead of him in the depth chart more than anything. JJ needs to build some rapport with Eli before he can even sniff the football in a game. Hang out with Eli in the summer like Cruz did last year.

Eli had some very nice things to say about Jerrel Jernigan as a receiver during 2012 camp including "I'm seeing some flashes of brilliance".

http://www.giants101.com/2012/07/29/new-york-giants-eli-manning-on-jerrel-jernigan-im-seeing-some-flashes-of-brilliance/

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
That depends on who else is ahead of him and how many chances he gets.

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 08:43 PM
It largely depends on what happens with Cruz. I'm not saying that JJ would be able to replace Cruz's production single-handedly by any means, but I'm not too worried if we lose Cruz in FA because we have Jernigan waiting in the wings. I'm not going to fall for that again after Steve Smith. Also if Cruz goes, we can get a 1st round pick. Not a bad deal from where i'm standing. Still would miss Cruz immensely, but it's not the end of the world.

dakotajoe
02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
It's hard for me to say. I haven't seen him make any big plays at the WR position.

BigJ
02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
He has the skill set of Percy Harvin. No...............

Captain Chaos
02-07-2013, 08:55 PM
If he can't pick up the return responsibilities he won't dress.

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
JJ may have a role as a returner since Hixon is getting a little old to take on that burden with his repaired knees.

JJ bobbled some punts which is why Hixon started to do the returns.

titwio
02-07-2013, 09:01 PM
^ Think you mean RR

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 09:02 PM
no JJ bobbled some punts in preseason...

titwio
02-07-2013, 09:04 PM
no JJ bobbled some punts in preseason...

Yeah but it wasn't the reason Hixon took over on punt returns. It was because RR bobbled two in one game prior.

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 09:05 PM
^ Think you mean RR

They both did. JJ in preseason and Randle during the season

RoanokeFan
02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah but it wasn't the reason Hixon took over on punt returns. It was because RR bobbled two in one game prior.

I stand corrected

giantsfan420
02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I think there's a good chance of it. If we tender cruz, at the least we will have to see what jj can do as a wr as that will factor into a contract situation.
I'm trying to remember, in preseason was it jj who was wowing everyone to the point he got first team reps during a game in which eli threw a redzone pass to jj in the endzone where a db held one of his arms preventing the grab...that was jj right? The reason I ask is bc I was dramatically impressed. He made some progressions from year to year and that's what u look for. Jj has a lot of the very skills cruz has that helps him be successful...jj is a wildcard for me. When we drafted him, I was surprised and stoked bc I knew of him bc of the sunbelt conference where troy plays. Eli seems to get the most out of the wr so I'm excited to see him. I think we will use him even if we re sign cruz long term. Looks like we r going thru a culture change on offense

JJC7301
02-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I remember the coaches and beat reporters were raving about him in training camp but then we never saw him really. was he just buried on the depth chart by cruz, nicks, hixon, randle, barden? supposedly he was picking up the offense much better in practice. with his talent and quickness, can we expect a larger role for him in the slot?
If he earns the time, then he'll get it.

BigBlue1971
02-07-2013, 09:18 PM
i hope JJ can show some potential and be a factor in 13! this is his chance to threaten #3 on the depth chart!

if he can do that he will see a lot of playing time! the Giants drafted and are keeping him for a reason!

lets hope he does break out!