PDA

View Full Version : Strength of schedule.

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 07:14 PM
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000137115/

danielboone
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Well, it's a lot better than this year where we were near or at the top of tough schedules. I wrote a message about this a month or so ago. I compared 2012 to 2013 based on opponents performance in 2012.

Based on 2012 performance we have the easiest schedule in our division but not by much. Actually all four teams are around the middle of the pack.

Of course, this is just one aspect of what goes into a successful season but it sure is important for getting into the playoffs and one should never underestimate the importance of that.

ebick
02-07-2013, 07:27 PM
I have dug into the details, but I don't (mathematically) understand how the Eagles who will play a 4th place schedule could have a more difficult schedule the Cowboys or us.

Flip Empty
02-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Teams can change so much over the course of an off-season, you don't truly know the strength of your schedule until you've finished playing it.

danielboone
02-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Teams can change so much over the course of an off-season, you don't truly know the strength of your schedule until you've finished playing it.

This is true in the strict sense of the words but the difference between our 2012 and 2013 is so huge that there is no way next year will be tougher than this year. Of course, this is only 10% of the equation. The 90% is how good of a team we are next year. But given how close we came to making the playoffs this year, I am convinced we would have made it if we had had a half decent schedule.

nhpgiantsfan
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I have dug into the details, but I don't (mathematically) understand how the Eagles who will play a 4th place schedule could have a more difficult schedule the Cowboys or us.

It is because it looks at our schedule as having two games against the Eagles who were 4 and 12, while they have two against us at 9-7. Two games against them at 4-12 decreases our opponents overall winning%. While us at 9-7 increases there opponents winning%.

Cloud57
02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
if we go 9-7 with that schedule, someone needs to get fired...

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
damn cowboys...lolThey could be playing the Chiefs for all 16 games and still find a way to lose.

drewz
02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
At least the Cowboys have to travel down to the Bayou and we don't. Plus they're going to have Rob Ryan next year

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Teams can change so much over the course of an off-season, you don't truly know the strength of your schedule until you've finished playing it.Very very true.

And us playing lesser teams don't really​ favor us since we play to the level of our competition. Maybe that will change this year..

TheAnalyst
02-07-2013, 08:14 PM
HAHA, the 4 AFC West teams are in the bottom 5 of SOS. That pretyt much sums up that division.

Toadofsteel
02-07-2013, 08:31 PM
At least the Cowboys have to travel down to the Bayou and we don't. Plus they're going to have Rob Ryan next year

Lol remember when Sean Payton first arrived on the Saints from the cowboys... he curb stomped them so hard. It's going to be all that all over again.

miked1958
02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Bout time we got a slightly easier schedule. Last year and year before were unreal. So was 08

TheBookOfEli
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
We face a tough division in the NFC north next year and we have Seattle and New Orleans and of course we can't seem to beat our division rivals either.

No schedule is easy in the NFL.

Cloud57
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
We face a tough division in the NFC north next year and we have Seattle and New Orleans and of course we can't seem to beat our division rivals either.

No schedule is easy in the NFL.No schedule is easy if you're the Giants

drewz
02-07-2013, 11:21 PM
We go 1-3 against the AFC West, 3-1 against the NFC North.. book it

Rudyy
02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
We go 1-3 against the AFC West, 3-1 against the NFC North.. book itLOL

ebick
02-07-2013, 11:38 PM
It is because it looks at our schedule as having two games against the Eagles who were 4 and 12, while they have two against us at 9-7. Two games against them at 4-12 decreases our opponents overall winning%. While us at 9-7 increases there opponents winning%.

Of course, that makes sense.

DandyDon
02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
No schedule is easy if you're the Giants

Man, you are a DARK cloud, aint ya?

flashnando
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Man, you are a DARK cloud, aint ya?

Can you blame him? Giants always make it interesting no matter who they are playing.

Diamondring
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Can you blame him? Giants always make it interesting no matter who they are playing.Not against the Saints, Packers and 49ers. Giants beat them real bad.

danielboone
02-08-2013, 04:51 PM
And us playing lesser teams don't really​ favor us since we play to the level of our competition. Maybe that will change this year..

Sorry to take you as an example because you are not the only one who keeps repeating this without looking at the facts. I don't know how to get a copy of the message I wrote a while back where I calculated our 2012 winning percentage versus first tier teams and compared it as to how we did versus the rest of the teams. Don't remember the exact numbers but we were in the 40% range versus the first tier and over 60% versus the rest of the teams. So it is not true that we play down to the competition's level. What is a fact is that we played a hell of a lot of first tier teams this year. The schedule looked bad going into the season and it turned out to be even worse than it looked.

Rudyy
02-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Sorry to take you as an example because you are not the only one who keeps repeating this without looking at the facts. I don't know how to get a copy of the message I wrote a while back where I calculated our 2012 winning percentage versus first tier teams and compared it as to how we did versus the rest of the teams. Don't remember the exact numbers but we were in the 40% range versus the first tier and over 60% versus the rest of the teams. So it is not true that we play down to the competition's level. What is a fact is that we played a hell of a lot of first tier teams this year. The schedule looked bad going into the season and it turned out to be even worse than it looked.We may have won those games, but our performance was probably average. You can search you forum posts by clicking your name, and selecting "View forum posts".

danielboone
02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
We may have won those games, but our performance was probably average. You can search you forum posts by clicking your name, and selecting "View forum posts".

Thanks for the tip on the posts and I do agree with you that most of our wins were by small margins. But you know the old adage: "Winning is the only thing." On the other hand, I agree that being a Giants fan is hazardous for people with a heart condition.

Rudyy
02-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the tip on the posts and I do agree with you that most of our wins were by small margins. But you know the old adage: "Winning is the only thing." On the other hand, I agree that being a Giants fan is hazardous for people with a heart condition.Oh I'm not complaining about the win, of course not. Just pointing out a rather annoying flaw with our New York Giants :D

nhpgiantsfan
02-08-2013, 07:15 PM
To put this into perspective, if you take away the two games we play next year against the Eagles who went 4-12 this past year, it changes our opponents 2012 record to 115-109. This moves the winning percentage above 500. Basically saying that while it appears we have a real easy schedule, based on this list, the two games against the Eagles really drag down our position on that list. Same goes for the Cowboys and Redskins. And we all know how we play against the Eagles.

Rudyy
02-08-2013, 07:21 PM
To put this into perspective, if you take away the two games we play next year against the Eagles who went 4-12 this past year, it changes our opponents 2012 record to 115-109. This moves the winning percentage above 500. Basically saying that while it appears we have a real easy schedule, based on this list, the two games against the Eagles really drag down our position on that list. Same goes for the Cowboys and Redskins. And we all know how we play against the Eagles.Right

Sean Montemayor
02-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Sweet.

danielboone
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
Thing is this year's winning percentage of our opponents was the HIGHEST in the league. So even taking away the Eagle's record (which is quite a big change) the winning percentage in 2013 of around 50% is a HUGE improvement over this year.

On another track, it is interesting to see some fans have so LITTLE faith in the team. According to them we are horrible against the Eagles and always will be. With the Cowboys and Redskins not far behind. What the f. Maybe it's a psychological ploy to avoid the sadness when the team does not make the playoffs. They don't want to get their hopes up. But, man, isn't that the definition of a fan? Someone who dreams his team will win big. You see fans in cities that have not made the playoffs in decades and they are still there rooting and hoping. Sometimes I do agree that Giants fans are spoiled.

To put this into perspective, if you take away the two games we play next year against the Eagles who went 4-12 this past year, it changes our opponents 2012 record to 115-109. This moves the winning percentage above 500. Basically saying that while it appears we have a real easy schedule, based on this list, the two games against the Eagles really drag down our position on that list. Same goes for the Cowboys and Redskins. And we all know how we play against the Eagles.

nhpgiantsfan
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Thing is this year's winning percentage of our opponents was the HIGHEST in the league. So even taking away the Eagle's record (which is quite a big change) the winning percentage in 2013 of around 50% is a HUGE improvement over this year.

On another track, it is interesting to see some fans have so LITTLE faith in the team. According to them we are horrible against the Eagles and always will be. With the Cowboys and Redskins not far behind. What the f. Maybe it's a psychological ploy to avoid the sadness when the team does not make the playoffs. They don't want to get their hopes up. But, man, isn't that the definition of a fan? Someone who dreams his team will win big. You see fans in cities that have not made the playoffs in decades and they are still there rooting and hoping. Sometimes I do agree that Giants fans are spoiled.

If you are referring to my last sentence about how we play against the Eagles, I was more trying to explain that while the strength of schedule may look good, a big reason it showing as so weak is because of the Eagles 2012 record. And the facts are the facts, we havent faired to well against them. Pretty much that the schedule is not as easy as it looks on that list.

Flip Empty
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
The Giants have struggled against the Eagles, that's just a stone cold fact. Eli is 6-13 against them.

jomo
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000137115/These analyses never work looking forward. At best you get a few clues but at the pace that things change in the NFL, you won't know who had the toughest schedule until the season is over. Even then there is always an asterik because the weak divisions play a bunch of weak teams so a team with 10 wins in one division might actually be worse than a team with 8 wins in a stronger division.

Don't get me wrong, I like to look at these articles as much as anyone. In the end they are only fodder for boards like this.

Rusty192
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

On another track, it is interesting to see some fans have so LITTLE faith in the team. According to them we are horrible against the Eagles and always will be. With the Cowboys and Redskins not far behind. What the f. Maybe it's a psychological ploy to avoid the sadness when the team does not make the playoffs. They don't want to get their hopes up. But, man, isn't that the definition of a fan? Someone who dreams his team will win big. You see fans in cities that have not made the playoffs in decades and they are still there rooting and hoping. Sometimes I do agree that Giants fans are spoiled.Exactly this. It is a huge myth around here that we "play down" to crappy teams and lose all the time to them. Maybe we are getting their best effort because we are a good team. Who cares if the game was tight, you can't blow out every team because "they suck" or whatever. So what the score is closer than our fans want it or something. This is still the NFL. A win is a win.

lamas
02-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the Giants 2012 strength of schedule based on actual win-loss record? Typically SOS based on previous season record is terribly inaccurate.

GiantRoc
02-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Another 9-7 season is a horrible thought. But yes, it would show a system problem. Changes would have to be made.

Flip Empty
02-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the Giants 2012 strength of schedule based on actual win-loss record? Typically SOS based on previous season record is terribly inaccurate.

Not quite what you're after, but there is a slightly different take on it here (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/46181/a-look-at-adjusted-strength-of-schedules). They've taken into account how the team in question affected their opponent's win/loss record.

Hardest to easiest:

1. Lions
2. Cardinals
3. Rams
4. Vikings
5. Giants
6. Cowboys
7. Packers
8. Bears
9. Saints
10. 49ers
11. Jaguars
12. Seahawks
13. Panthers
14. Texans
15. Patriots
16. Titans
17. Ravens
18. Jets
19. Redskins
20. Buccaneers
21. Browns
22. Dolphins
23. Chiefs
24. Eagles
25. Broncos
26. Bills
27. Steelers
28. Raiders
29. Chargers
30. Colts
31. Bengals
32. Falcons

Antwuan
02-14-2013, 03:01 AM

+1

Antwuan
02-14-2013, 03:02 AM
I swear if the Giants don't make the playoffs with this schedule in 2013, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Flip Empty
02-14-2013, 03:42 AM
I swear if the Giants don't make the playoffs with this schedule in 2013, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
They rarely deserve to be in the playoffs.