PDA

View Full Version : Sapp says he clearly should have made Hall over Giants great, 'media darling' Strahan

GiantNYFan8
02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/strahan_says_great_clearly_should_FxpXtcrJc38lGA0a PHEQdO#axzz2KAi4cfRZ

BuffyBlueII
02-08-2013, 01:34 AM
At least Michael Strahan didn’t sell his SuperBowl Ring like Warren “fathead” Sapp did.

Harooni
02-08-2013, 01:41 AM
sapp shouldnt make it at all imo. over rated.

BuffyBlueII
02-08-2013, 01:42 AM

+1

Rat_bastich
02-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Wow he gets in and still can't be content. Strahan is still the more successful person even without the Hall of Fame...he has Kelly Rippa!

giantyankee1976
02-08-2013, 06:42 AM
just shows who has inferiority problems...Stray will get in, no doubt.

Cool Papa B.
02-08-2013, 06:53 AM
“Say if I rewind this to Saturday at 12 o’ clock, me and you are sitting and I say, it breaks down whatever and whatever and then you have Michael Strahan and me. C’mon, the menace and the media darling," Sapp said. “C’mon. Madness or Good Morning America. I mean, c’mon.”

Read more: Sapp says he clearly should have made Hall over Giants great, 'media darling' Strahan http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/strahan_says_great_clearly_should_FxpXtcrJc38lGA0a PHEQdO#ixzz2KJ8S6tnC

I respect what Sapp has done as a football player, but this is one of the dumbest things I've heard him say. Strahan was better than him and he knows it.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 06:58 AM
sapp shouldnt make it at all imo. over rated. He is the gold standard for a 3 tech .He definitely deserves to be in. Sapp was more dominate at his position at his peak than Strahan was at his. I dont get why he is attacking Strahan but he was truly dominate. I think its close but the main difference I see is 1 guy is the comparison to which other great players are measured 2 at his position and Strahan isnt.

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 07:45 AM

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/m0y7p1.jpg

bigblue58
02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Abso ****ing lutely!

Carter.525
02-08-2013, 07:52 AM
poo poo loud mouth Sapp..

Strahan > Sapp

Pksoze
02-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Sapp was a lot of hype. He had a great peak but he wasn't the best on his team. That was Derrick Brooks. Sapp was also a joke on the Raiders. Unlike Strahan, Sapp was also cut in his "peak years". I'm literally stunned that guy got in over Strahan.

FBomb
02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
The only thing bigger than Sapp's fat *** is his ego!!!

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Forgetting my bias for a moment .... can someone logically explain to me why Sapp is in the HoF before Strahan?

Less sacks, tackles, pass defenses, forced fumbles, safeties, TDs and Super Bowl appearances.

Then let's consider strength of position. Strahan was the second highest rated strong side DE in NFL history (behind Reggie White).

Warren Sapp (DT) arguably doesn't even rate in the Top 10 at his position (Randle, Green, Grier, Kennedy, Olsen, White, Lilly, Page, Perry, Selmon).

Sapp: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SappWa00.htm

Strahan: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StraMi02.htm

I don't get it.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Forgetting my bias for a moment .... can someone logically explain to me why Sapp is in the HoF before Strahan?

Less sacks, tackles, pass defenses, forced fumbles, safeties, TDs and Super Bowl appearances.

Then let's consider strength of position. Strahan was the second highest rated strong side DE in NFL history (behind Reggie White).

Warren Sapp (DT) arguably doesn't even rate in the Top 10 at his position (Randle, Green, Grier, Kennedy, Olsen, White, Lilly, Page, Perry, Selmon).

I don't get it.

I personally like Sapp a lot. But I would say the Strahan/Sapp argument has good points to be made on both sides.

Having said that.......

......I truly believe however that the fake sack record and the way it was gotten, had a direct impact on the HOF voting this year. Obviously Strahan is a Hall of Fame quality player and will definitely get in, probably next year.
But if you guys don't think that fiasco with Favre didn't have an impact with some voters, you're kidding yourselves.

Rudyy
02-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Sapp is a media darling too, no?

njg85m
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Sapp was a lot of hype. He had a great peak but he wasn't the best on his team. That was Derrick Brooks. Sapp was also a joke on the Raiders. Unlike Strahan, Sapp was also cut in his "peak years". I'm literally stunned that guy got in over Strahan.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Sapp was a parody of himself in his twilight years, Strahan was still dominant.

bigblue58
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I personally like Sapp a lot. But I would say the Strahan/Sapp argument has good points to be made on both sides.

Having said that.......

......I truly believe however that the fake sack record and the way it was gotten, had a direct impact on the HOF voting this year. Obviously Strahan is a Hall of Fame quality player and will definitely get in, probably next year.
But if you guys don't think that fiasco with Favre didn't have an impact with some voters, you're kidding yourselves.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it "FAKE".
I remember the play well and yeah...Favre gave it up and went down on his own, but the fact is Strahan still got to him fair and square, and Favre had no time to run or get rid of the ball, so he went down.
Really no less a sack than a QB being touched down after he falls on a botched snap.
I'm not saying you're wrong about it being a reason he was left out, I'm just saying that if it was the reason, it's stupid because that one shouldn't overshadow all the others leading up to the record. But knowing how drunk with power these fart sniffing writers are with their almighty votes, you're probably right.

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM

Having said that.......

So, you have talked to Strahan and Favre and they have confirmed that it was a "staged" sack? What about all the sacks that lead up to that one? I lost respect for Sapp when he shoved the Packers coach when leaving the field..... Not to mention he is a blow hard.

Strahan will always be the better player in my humble opinion.....

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Having said that.......

There's no debating that both players are worthy of the HoF. And I agree that the sack record was probably stuck in some voters' minds negatively.

Shame ... although being honored next year at Giants' Stadium is a nice consolation prize.

rebelfan1966
Fake sack..... are you serious dude?
I remember the play well and yeah...Favre gave it up and went down on his own, but the fact is Strahan still got to him fair and square, and Favre had no time to run or get rid of the ball, so he went down.
Really no less a sack than a QB being touched down after he falls on a botched snap.

That's a good point, because for the sack to have been staged, the Offensive Line had to be in on the conspiracy..... I vaguely recall the play myself, and I don't think it was staged either.

Redeyejedi

I don't get it. U cant compare stats between 2 different positions. I think Strahan should of got in over Parcells

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
U cant compare stats between 2 different positions. I think Strahan should of got in over Parcells

Which is why I compared strength of position.

And I think Strahan should have got in over Sapp and Ogden. Parcels was a great coach for his SB runs, but more than that, he was revolutionary in his capacity for rebuilding broken teams (his eye for talent is often overlooked).

Then again, I'm biased there too :D

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Sapp was a parody of himself in his twilight years, Strahan was still dominant. Sapp had 10 sacks the year before he retired at DT. U know how rare that is. He did that 4 times. Only 2 guys have done it since he retired . Suh who had 10 and Geno Atkins this season

Buddy333
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Ogden was incredible. He was so dominating at his position he should have absolutely made it.

BJacobs aka The Problem
02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
With Strahan being the only first ballot player to not make the Hall this year, I think it speaks volumes as to how the media feels about Strahan's sack record.

Whenever you have someone who not only owns the single season record, but is also ranked 5th all time in that major statistical category, you would think it would be a no brainer. Not in this case and unfortunately it shows how screwed up the HoF voters are. Just look how long it took Chris Carter.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Which is why I compared strength of position.

And I think Strahan should have got in over Sapp and Ogden. Parcels was a great coach for his SB runs, but more than that, he was revolutionary in his capacity for rebuilding broken teams (his eye for talent is often overlooked).

Then again, I'm biased there too :D He is the gold standard for the 3 tech. When people talk about the Under tackle in a 4-3 Under he is the player all others are compared to, Strahan doesnt get that kind of admiration

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Ogden was incredible. He was so dominating at his position he should have absolutely made it. Ogden and Larry Allen were as good as it gets. Coaches should be in another category they should let 1 coach or GM in every 5 years or something like that

I Bleed Blue 56
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
It is all staged for him to get elected next year at his home. That will be the icing on the cake.

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
He is the gold standard for the 3 tech. When people talk about the Under tackle in a 4-3 Under he is the player all others are compared to, Strahan doesnt get that kind of admiration

I totally disagree. Sapp doesn't even fit the mold for a prototypical 3-tech due to his freaky athleticism. It would be like trying to train running backs by having them emulate Adrian Petersen.

Strahan is the epitome of what you want a 4-3 strong side DE to be.

And Ogden was an OT of one of the worst offenses in the NFL during his time (not to mention a primarily run-oriented offense). He was a very good OT but not on the par *at his position* that Strahan was at his.

YATittle1962
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Warren was the quintessential 3 tech.......all decade 3 tech
awesome player and monumental in the success of that Tampa team

Warren absolutely deserves the honor

Stra will get in

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I totally disagree. Sapp doesn't even fit the mold for a prototypical 3-tech due to his freaky athleticism. It would be like trying to train running backs by having them emulate Adrian Petersen.

Strahan is the epitome of what you want a 4-3 strong side DE to be.

And Ogden was an OT of one of the worst offenses in the NFL during his time (not to mention a primarily run-oriented offense). He was a very good OT but not on the par *at his position* that Strahan was at his. What are u talking about im not saying try to emulate him. When they compare great under tackles he is the 1 everyone gets compared to..On draft day when they talk about 3 techs listen to the name they will give in looking for the next great 1. When they talk about DE's they dont say looking for the next great Strongside end Michael Strahan but they do with Sapp and 3 techs

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Warren was the quintessential 3 tech.......all decade 3 tech
awesome player and monumental in the success of that Tampa team

Warren absolutely deserves the honor

Stra will get in
Strahan i think should of got in first ballot 2 but I knew it was borderline. I think Sapp at the top of his game was a better player then Strahan.He gets in next ballot no doubt.

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
What are u talking about im not saying try to emulate him. When they compare great under tackles he is the 1 everyone gets compared to..On draft day when they talk about 3 techs listen to the name they will give in looking for the next great 1. When they talk about DE's they dont say looking for the next great Strongside end Michael Strahan but they do with Sapp and 3 techs

Oh sorry I misunderstood you.

Eh ... not a great argument. I don't hear draft prospects compared to Reggie White either but I do hear players compared to Justin Tuck. Obviously one doesn't compare to the other.

That's not the measuring stick I'd use.

ny06
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm not surprised one bit about this comment from Sapp, quite frankly I thought he would have said something on the day the HOF inductees was announced. This guy is complete garbage off the field, and I'm being generous. I lived in the Tampa area for a few years (born & raised in NY) and the stories I heard from well respected business men and long time residents would make you see who the real Sapp is. I can name numerous well known restaurants that Sapp is banned from, I can recall a good amount of long time Buc fans that appreciate the player he was on the field, but had no respect for the person he was off it.

Ill give you the gist of what his HOF speech will be.

"I like to thank Tony Dungy for every thing he has done for me, and most importantly I would like to thank myself."

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
And just to add to this, John Randle (arguably THE best DT in NFL history) was passed up TWICE for the HoF.

You think Warren Sapp deserves a first ballot nod over John Randle?!

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Oh sorry I misunderstood you.

Eh ... not a great argument. I don't hear draft prospects compared to Reggie White either but I do hear players compared to Justin Tuck. Obviously one doesn't compare to the other.

That's not the measuring stick I'd use. Sapp is synonymous with the term 3 tech no other player gets that kind of recognition. Completely different from comparing A to B.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 10:09 AM
And just to add to this, John Randle (arguably THE best DT in NFL history) was passed up TWICE for the HoF.

You think Warren Sapp deserves a first ballot nod over John Randle?! No but I dont think Strahan deserves it over Sapp either. Randle is better than Strahan 2

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
No but I dont think Strahan deserves it over Sapp either

We'll agree to disagree then (picking nits at this point anyways).

I think Strahan deserved the nod over Ogden and Sapp (and arguably Parcels although I think coaches/owners need their own category). But all mentioned definitely deserve enshrinement (I think we all agree on that).

Plus I fully admit to both being a homer for Strahan and not being a big fan of fat head. :D

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM
So, you have talked to Strahan and Favre and they have confirmed that it was a "staged" sack? What about all the sacks that lead up to that one? I lost respect for Sapp when he shoved the Packers coach when leaving the field..... Not to mention he is a blow hard.

Strahan will always be the better player in my humble opinion.....
We can argue as the whether or not it was staged. (I personally think it obviously was) but it really doesn't matter. The PERCEPTION was that it was staged by the media and I'm sure that it worked against Strahan in the HOF voting this year.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 10:17 AM
We'll agree to disagree then (picking nits at this point anyways).

I think Strahan deserved the nod over Ogden and Sapp (and arguably Parcels although I think coaches/owners need their own category). But all mentioned definitely deserve enshrinement (I think we all agree on that).

Plus I fully admit to both being a homer for Strahan and not being a big fan of fat head. :D I think they both should of got in. Dont like how Parcells a coach gets in over a player.

RagTime Blue
02-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I think they both should of got in. Dont like how Parcells a coach gets in over a player.

I agree. Although I do think Sapp had an overall better career than Stray, but that's no slight at all. Every potentially great 3-tech coming out of college gets compared to (help up against) Sapp. Every great well-rounded DE out of college gets compared to (help up against) Reggie White. Again though, Strahan deserves IN!! He's a HOF caliber player who's still contributing to the NFL.

I'm not as high on Parcells as most Giants fans are. But I guess if you think coaches deserve into the Hall, then he has to be considered. Even though the best thing he ever did for the Jets and Patriots was set the Dolphins back 10 years.

Ntegrase96
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Sapp routinely takes unwarranted shots at players that are/were better than him. He takes shots at Ware whenever he can, and he took shots at Larry Allen before Larry Allen put him in his place.

He's just a loud mouth with an inferiority complex.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
he blind sides Chad Clifton and almost killed the guy. Clifton had 0 to do with the play at the time. Lost a huge amount of respect for Sapp when that happned. Just stupid football IMO...
**** em'....he is in....so what.

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
he blind sides Chad Clifton and almost killed the guy. Clifton had 0 to do with the play at the time. Lost a huge amount of respect for Sapp when that happned. Just stupid football IMO...
**** em'....he is in....so what.

I had forgotten all about that play.... but your absoutely right.

ShakeandBake
02-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Sapp is a blowhard that once had talent, but once it was gone he turned into a Flozell Adams type with cheap shots during his time on the Raiders

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DU6aNIeo0o

Warren Sapp / Cheap Shot Artist and a dirty player

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 11:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpEIRaGq2U

Most un-sincere "apology" ever

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7EjdxOqCF8

I guess the folks who selected Sapp forgot about this play too.....

TroyArcher
02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Sapp always was, is and will be a big mouth jerk.

TroyArcher
02-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I had forgotten all about that play.... but your absoutely right.

Never had any respect for him.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I love you guys. He gets in and Strahan doesn't and now he's one step above Satan.

Calm down everyone.

GentleGiant
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
He is the gold standard for a 3 tech .He definitely deserves to be in. Sapp was more dominate at his position at his peak than Strahan was at his. I dont get why he is attacking Strahan but he was truly dominate. I think its close but the main difference I see is 1 guy is the comparison to which other great players are measured 2 at his position and Strahan isnt. BS. Bucs fan over here. So him being on one of the best defenses ever had nothing to do with it? He wasn't even the best player on his own team.

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 12:02 PM
BS. Bucs fan over here. So him being on one of the best defenses ever had nothing to do with it? He wasn't even the best player on his own team.

The voice of reason, FINALLY!

DownWitJPP
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/8/3967408/michael-strahan-warren-sapp-twitter-pro-football-hall-of-fame

strahan and sapp having words on twitter. read all the way to the bottom..Sapp is bum and shows no class

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
BS. Bucs fan over here. So him being on one of the best defenses ever had nothing to do with it? He wasn't even the best player on his own team. Thats your opinion the Hall of Fame voters happen to agree with me. I think Sapps presence ,his 16.5 sacks as a DT probably was a big reason why the Defense was so good.

TroyArcher
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I love you guys. He gets in and Strahan doesn't and now he's one step above Satan.

Calm down everyone.

Not Satan but not a good guy.

Diamondring
02-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Thats your opinion the Hall of Fame voters happen to agree with me. I think Sapps presence ,his 16.5 sacks as a DT probably was a big reason why the Defense was so good.I remember when Strahan was the best D-line player getting double digit sacks while being held by 3 O-linemen and he didn't get in, something is wrong with those stupid voters.

Delicreep
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Having said that.......

The problem with this theory (and I am actually on your side) is that it doesn't take into account what the voters may have thought about Sapp, and what impact it had on the voting for Sapp.

I totally agree with the idea that record may stick in some voters minds, but I have to think that Sapp has far, far more negatives that would get him eliminated first.

So at least in this vote, I eliminate it as a factor.,

I believe that Sapp has a fairly unique factor: ask 100 people that know the phrase "3 technique" who had the biggest impact on the position, most will say Sapp.
Ask the same 100 about the DE position, and...well, I loved the guy, but he ain't gonna be considered THE GUY by many.

YATittle1962
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
taking it to twitter makes Michael classy ?

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
The problem with this theory (and I am actually on your side) is that it doesn't take into account what the voters may have thought about Sapp, and what impact it had on the voting for Sapp.

I totally agree with the idea that record may stick in some voters minds, but I have to think that Sapp has far, far more negatives that would get him eliminated first.

So at least in this vote, I eliminate it as a factor.,

I believe that Sapp has a fairly unique factor: ask 100 people that know the phrase "3 technique" who had the biggest impact on the position, most will say Sapp.
Ask the same 100 about the DE position, and...well, I loved the guy, but he ain't gonna be considered THE GUY by many.

This is what Ive been saying and to me its a big deal. If u define a position that puts u into a different category

Cloud57
02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
He's just mad because he didn't get a daytime talk show or as a sport analyst on CBS or FOX. He' stuck on the NFL Network which nobody watches.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM

Calm down everyone.
if he didnt start spewing idiocy over the airwaves this thread never would have started......
the guy is a jerk....plain and simple....

YATittle1962
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
He's just mad because he didn't get a daytime talk show or as a sport analyst on CBS or FOX. He' stuck on the NFL Network which nobody watches.

nobody watches NFLN?

you are sorely misinformed my friend

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 12:44 PM
if he didnt start spewing idiocy over the airwaves this thread never would have started......
the guy is a jerk....plain and simple....
None of us know if the guy is a "jerk" or not. Clearly his comment about Strahan was inappropriate.

Strahan then started the Twitter battle.

I think Sapp was a great player and a deserving HOF'r. I also think the same of Strahan.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
None of us know if the guy is a "jerk" or not. Clearly his comment about Strahan was inappropriate.

Strahan then started the Twitter battle.

I think Sapp was a great player and a deserving HOF'r. I also think the same of Strahan.
I dont really know if he is be he is acting like one. But that is not so unusual for a big time sports figure...
Thats the great part....if I think he is a jerk I can call him one. The hit he put on Chad Clifton and the way he did react and has reacted to it says a lot about him as a person IMO....

Delicreep
02-08-2013, 12:50 PM
None of us know if the guy is a "jerk" or not.

Well...the mountain of evidence that suggest he's a jerk is pretty overwhelming, don't you think?

No...I have never met Sapp, so I don't know him.
I never met Ted Bundy either, but I wouldn't get in a car with him.

DownWitJPP
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
nobody watches NFLN?

you are sorely misinformed my friend

I was gonna say...that is one of my fav channels

Diamondring
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
All humans have emotions some have more issues than others.

Delicreep
02-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I was gonna say...that is one of my fav channels

See...I'm on the opposite end. The NFLN is a desperation choice at best. Like if it comes down to "Storage Wars Texas" and "A Football Life" of Tom Coughlin, then maybe.

But then again, I don't watch pregame shows at all if I can avoid 'em.

Diamondring
02-08-2013, 12:59 PM
NFL.com is ok with me. I remember when they had a court about teams that are in the hunt at the time. Sap was the Judge. Funny and exciting.

P_Simms_#11
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Sapp routinely takes unwarranted shots at players that are/were better than him. He takes shots at Ware whenever he can, and he took shots at Larry Allen before Larry Allen put him in his place.

He's just a loud mouth with an inferiority complex.

Yep. Can't stand that moron.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I dont really know if he is be he is acting like one. But that is not so unusual for a big time sports figure...
Thats the great part....if I think he is a jerk I can call him one. The hit he put on Chad Clifton and the way he did react and has reacted to it says a lot about him as a person IMO....
The only thing we see of celebrities and/or pro athletes is what they show us when the cameras are on. None of us can know very much about anyone we don't know.

My "impressions" (and thats all I can have) of Sapp based on what I have seen is that he has a large and generally attractive personality.
But again, I'm basing that on what I see on TV. And that ain't much.

thomsoad
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
That's a good point, because for the sack to have been staged, the Offensive Line had to be in on the conspiracy..... I vaguely recall the play myself, and I don't think it was staged either.

Is this serious or a joke? Look.. I loved Strahan just as much as the next Giants fan...but I remember that play...saw the Instant Replays and im TELLING you all...it was totally planned.

Just Google the video...Farve halfasses his way right over to Strahan and lays down right in front of him. The TE for the Packers BARELY put his hands up and never extended him. The TE more or less olayed Strahan righ to Favre.

It does not negate all the other sacks Strahan got but then one was staged by Favre and the Packers...but not by Strahan.

simmstolt
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
They are both Hall of Famers but Sapp is overrated. Strahan got better with age and Sapp's off the field stuff has been.....confusing to say the least.

YATittle1962
02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
there was no staged sack

Brett knew Mike needed one for the record
they are friends
he saw him coming and laid down

nothing was premeditated

Stra may have wrangled him even if he didn't play possum

who cares about the stupid record anyway.

Stra was awesome.....go back and watch film on how he stopped the run

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
there was no staged sack

Brett knew Mike needed one for the record
they are friends
he saw him coming and laid down

nothing was premeditated

Stra may have wrangled him even if he didn't play possum

who cares about the stupid record anyway.

Stra was awesome.....go back and watch film on how he stopped the run
No way my friend.

They were running out the clock. they had just run 2 running plays into the line. In a normal situation they would have run another run into the line. That sack was a gift to Strahan.
It was so obvious for God's sake. All of the sudden Favre is going to r take the snap and run to the right and fall down? C'mon YA. You are DEFINITELY better than this.

And I'm not saying anything about Strahan as a player. The guy was great and a deserving HOF'r. I'm just speculating on why some voters didn't vote him in on the first try.

rebelfan1966
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
No way my friend.

They were running out the clock. they had just run 2 running plays into the line. In a normal situation they would have run another run into the line. That sack was a gift to Strahan.
It was so obvious for God's sake. All of the sudden Favre is going to r take the snap and run to the right and fall down? C'mon YA. You are DEFINITELY better than this.

And I'm not saying anything about Strahan as a player. The guy was great and a deserving HOF'r. I'm just speculating on why some voters didn't vote him in on the first try.

If your theory is correct, Favre would have had to tell his O-Line to pretend to block Strahan, then allow him through, just so Brett could lay down. I don't buy it..... If that had happened, somebody in the huddle would have already spilled the beans.

Jiffy Jeff
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
domiNANT.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 02:04 PM
If your theory is correct, Favre would have had to tell his O-Line to pretend to block Strahan, then allow him through, just so Brett could lay down. I don't buy it..... If that had happened, somebody in the huddle would have already spilled the beans.
Oh come on. Favre did a play fake and you could see him looking for Strahan.
And 88 didn't even try to block him.
So either it was the dumbest call AND the most poorly executed play in NFL history OR it was a gift to Strahan.

You know the theory about the simplest explanation.........being the correct one.

And listen to Papa's call, he reported it as a gift from Favre to Strahan because it was so obvious as it happened.

thomsoad
02-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Did you not see the play? The Packers Oline DID pretend to block Strahan...the TE barely even brought his hands up to block Strahan. The TE even stepped inside to LET STRAHAN IN.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Did you not see the play? The Packers Oline DID pretend to block Strahan...the TE barely even brought his hands up to block Strahan. The TE even stepped inside to LET STRAHAN IN.
In know. Its no disgrace for us Giants fans to admit to the obvious.
WE look foolish to other fans when we cling to the ridiculous notion that the play was legit.

Delicreep
02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Oh come on. Favre did a play fake and you could see him looking for Strahan.
And 88 didn't even try to block him.
So either it was the dumbest call AND the most poorly executed play in NFL history OR it was a gift to Strahan.

You know the theory about the simplest explanation.........being the correct one.

And listen to Papa's call, he reported it as a gift from Favre to Strahan because it was so obvious as it happened.

It has always felt more likely to me that Farve set that up all on his own.

Remember, by all accounts, it was an audible to a naked bootleg. It looked to me like 88 thought the call was for Farve to go to his left, and therefor had little reason to even touch a Strahan going up field. I cannot understand either the roll to the left or the calling of a pass play, but

Strahan got to Farve first.

If it was a setup, and the play was called to the right, then it took at least 3 packers* to commit and keep their mouths shut. Plus the other 8 guys who would have at least asked WTF at the end of the play. Much, much harder to believe.

*Minimum, unless you believe that the play called for a TE to block Strahan 1 on 1 and nobody questioned this.

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
It has always felt more likely to me that Farve set that up all on his own.

Remember, by all accounts, it was an audible to a naked bootleg. It looked to me like 88 thought the call was for Farve to go to his left, and therefor had little reason to even touch a Strahan going up field. I cannot understand either the roll to the left or the calling of a pass play, but

Strahan got to Farve first.

If it was a setup, and the play was called to the right, then it took at least 3 packers* to commit and keep their mouths shut. Plus the other 8 guys who would have at least asked WTF at the end of the play. Much, much harder to believe.

*Minimum, unless you believe that the play called for a TE to block Strahan 1 on 1 and nobody questioned this.
Its definitely possible that Strahan wasn't in on it. But the play was bogus.

VBGiantsFan
02-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't care what happened on that play. So Strahan gets the 2nd most sacks in the history of a season. So what. One season doesn't make a hall of famer and Strahan has a career that should have easily pushed him over the edge with Sapp.

I'm not saying Sapp doesn't deserve it too, because he definitely does. But he was in no way better than Strahan and Strahan had an overall longer and more productive career.

Sapp is jealous of everything Strahan has. Strahan is on national television weekday morning and sunday mornings. Sapp is stuck on the NFL network like all the other ex-talking head players. He is a gimmick and he knows it. Strahan surpassed him on the field with his records and at this point has surpassed him in the admiration of their peers.

Keep talking Sapp. They only reason people heard you is because you said the name Strahan.

GentleGiant
02-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Its definitely possible that Strahan wasn't in on it. But the play was bogus. The play was bogus. But the record and player are not.

GentleGiant
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Thats your opinion the Hall of Fame voters happen to agree with me. I think Sapps presence ,his 16.5 sacks as a DT probably was a big reason why the Defense was so good. The HOF voters took 100 years to put cris carter and parcells. The HOF voters can go screw themselves. JJ Watt had a better year this year than all of saps years combined. There are 15 d line men I'd take before sapp.

gmen46
02-08-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/strahan_says_great_clearly_should_FxpXtcrJc38lGA0a PHEQdO#axzz2KAi4cfRZ

Stay classy, as always, Warren

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't care what happened on that play. So Strahan gets the 2nd most sacks in the history of a season. So what. One season doesn't make a hall of famer and Strahan has a career that should have easily pushed him over the edge with Sapp.

I'm not saying Sapp doesn't deserve it too, because he definitely does. But he was in no way better than Strahan and Strahan had an overall longer and more productive career.

Sapp is jealous of everything Strahan has. Strahan is on national television weekday morning and sunday mornings. Sapp is stuck on the NFL network like all the other ex-talking head players. He is a gimmick and he knows it. Strahan surpassed him on the field with his records and at this point has surpassed him in the admiration of their peers.

Keep talking Sapp. They only reason people heard you is because you said the name Strahan.

I am only saying that I would be surprised if many voters held it against him....because the play WAS bogus. It may or may not been of his doing, but that's secondary in the view of some.

GentleGiant
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Thats your opinion the Hall of Fame voters happen to agree with me. I think Sapps presence ,his 16.5 sacks as a DT probably was a big reason why the Defense was so good. If scouts say that they're looking for the next sapp then that explain so many bad rookie DTs.

thomsoad
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
I am only saying that I would be surprised if many voters held it against him....because the play WAS bogus. It may or may not been of his doing, but that's secondary in the view of some.

My personal belief is Strahan did not know Favre was going to do that. Strahan went full force and you can see his face behind the facemask looking pretty surprised Favre was right there sliding down right in front of him.

Favre gave it to Strahan without Strahan knowing about it.
And I also never said Strahan wasnt a gret DE...all his other sacks are legit.

B&RWarrior
02-08-2013, 04:06 PM
He is the gold standard for a 3 tech .He definitely deserves to be in. Sapp was more dominate at his position at his peak than Strahan was at his. I dont get why he is attacking Strahan but he was truly dominate. I think its close but the main difference I see is 1 guy is the comparison to which other great players are measured 2 at his position and Strahan isnt.

I disagree. If you account for how Strahan played the run, Stray was more dominant during his prime. Strahan was the second best defensive end I've seen ever next to Reggie White, and arguably the best versus the run. Sapp got his chance at DE with the Raiders and couldn't do squat against the more athletic tackles.

AllHailEli
02-08-2013, 04:33 PM
It's all good. Strahan's post-NFL career is so successful, it takes the blunt of this snub. The guy is all over TV, I have never seen anyone more successful transcending I even saw him on MTV hosting. Sapp, otoh, had to deal with bankruptcy. Hopefully, Strahan will make it next year.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 05:27 PM
tthe Fravre sack was ONE sack. Strahan gets to the HOF with or without it....

it really doesnt matter

Morehead State
02-08-2013, 06:54 PM
tthe Fravre sack was ONE sack. Strahan gets to the HOF with or without it....

it really doesnt matter
I guarantee that it does to some voters.

nhpgiantsfan
02-08-2013, 07:01 PM
I guarantee that it does to some voters.

I also think it affected some voters. I also wouldn't be surprised if the NFL actually mentioned to Farve how much they would love to have Gasteneu out of the record books. But that just may be the conspiritor in me.

Sean Montemayor
02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
sapp shouldnt make it at all imo. over rated. +1... Ah the heck with it. +1,000,000. Lol

Pksoze
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
I do think Sapp is a Hall of Famer but not a first ballot guy. Here are the negatives on his career he was not the best player on that defense, his peak was short and he was done by 2007, and he was a dirty player. If I was a voter those would all be my negatives on the guy. Compare that to Strahan who was the best player on his team, who was able to be an effective player his entire career, and who didn't have a Lynch or Derrick Brooks for most of his career.

Sapp can't even accept getting to the Hall with class he needed to take a shot at Strahan.

GentleGiant
02-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I guarantee that it does to some voters. And yet Sapp gets in? One of the dirtiest players ever? How does that not affect the voters? Sapp had a huge relationship with Favre. If these voters are so paranoid then why aren't they thinking about the possibility of Favre letting sapp get sacks since they're so paranoid about Strahan.

JJC7301
02-09-2013, 12:21 AM
He is the gold standard for a 3 tech .He definitely deserves to be in. Sapp was more dominate at his position at his peak than Strahan was at his. I dont get why he is attacking Strahan but he was truly dominate. I think its close but the main difference I see is 1 guy is the comparison to which other great players are measured 2 at his position and Strahan isnt.
I think that they're basically both great players, but I'll give the nod to Sapp because he was getting to the QB as a DT. Don't know why he's going after Strahan, though. Sounds like a jerk.

Rat_bastich
02-09-2013, 06:51 AM
There are two Sapps. There is the great player Sapp and their is the Sapp that likes to put his foot in his mouth. Appreciate the one but hate the other. Remember during Bounty Gate when he out of nowhere accused Shockey of being the one who ratted his teammates out and eventually had to recant. Also, I believe he has received disciplinary action at NFLN in the past for his half ****ed rants.

It's an LT type thing. Great player, confused human being.

And, phantom sack or whatever you want to call it you have to take it for what it was...still a sack that added to Strahan's total. He still holds the record.

bigblue58
02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
We can argue as the whether or not it was staged. (I personally think it obviously was) but it really doesn't matter. The PERCEPTION was that it was staged by the media and I'm sure that it worked against Strahan in the HOF voting this year.

If you ask me, writers make up an awful lot of arbitrary rules for induction on their own that should have nothing to do with the selection process!
If what you believe their perception of Strahan's record to be is true, then Strahan may never be voted in. He's retired, so he's not gonna be any better or more deserving next year, or the next TEN years if they truly think his record setting sack was pre planned.
And there in lies the problem with this theory. They can't prove that the sack was staged, or fixed or whatever.....so how can they keep him out for something they have no solid proof of?
They're not allowed to cast aspersions on someone and keep them out of the HOF without proof of wrong doing.
They're like pukey little hall monitors in grammar school who have some power for 45 minutes of their pathetic little lives, and let it go straight to their pointy heads.

blueribbon
02-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Alas there will clearly be a food shortage in Canton now that Sapp is there.

TextureDj
02-09-2013, 10:25 PM
If you ask me, writers make up an awful lot of arbitrary rules for induction on their own that should have nothing to do with the selection process!
If what you believe their perception of Strahan's record to be is true, then Strahan may never be voted in. He's retired, so he's not gonna be any better or more deserving next year, or the next TEN years if they truly think his record setting sack was pre planned.
And there in lies the problem with this theory. They can't prove that the sack was staged, or fixed or whatever.....so how can they keep him out for something they have no solid proof of?
They're not allowed to cast aspersions on someone and keep them out of the HOF without proof of wrong doing.
They're like pukey little hall monitors in grammar school who have some power for 45 minutes of their pathetic little lives, and let it go straight to their pointy heads.No one thinks it was set up, the issue is when itis brought up during "deliberation" that he has this particular record someone can always say "yeah, but that last sack was a falldown by the walking retired." it will be less of a factor when he comes up next year.

BlueSanta
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM

I agree with you. He was, in his prime, a more dominant player.

But, his prime was very short. I cannot discount the 2nd half of his career where he was not at all a dominant force and was actually a liability. Strahan was more consistently dominant throughout his career.

juice33s
02-09-2013, 11:22 PM
I agree with you. He was, in his prime, a more dominant player.

But, his prime was very short. I cannot discount the 2nd half of his career where he was not at all a dominant force and was actually a liability. Strahan was more consistently dominant throughout his career.
He was misused/out of position in Oakland as a 5tech

BuffyBlueII
02-09-2013, 11:25 PM
There are two Sapps. There is the great player Sapp and their is the Sapp that likes to put his foot in his mouth. Appreciate the one but hate the other. Remember during Bounty Gate when he out of nowhere accused Shockey of being the one who ratted his teammates out and eventually had to recant. Also, I believe he has received disciplinary action at NFLN in the past for his half ****ed rants.

It's an LT type thing. Great player, confused human being.

And, phantom sack or whatever you want to call it you have to take it for what it was...still a sack that added to Strahan's total. He still holds the record.

The phantom sack being given up early doesn’t mean that if it wasn’t given up, Stray wouldn’t’ve been pushing harder and got it later on in the game anyway.

LT has his issues but he is head and shoulders a better human being that a piece of human detritus like Warren Sapp. Also, LT never threw anyone under the bus the was Fathead Sapp did when he falsely accussed Shockey.

I really think that although Stray still loves having the sack record that its importance went down a notch or two as soon as he won SuperBowl with NY Giants.

BuffyBlueII
02-09-2013, 11:30 PM
They're like pukey little hall monitors in grammar school who have some power for 45 minutes of their pathetic little lives, and let it go straight to their pointy heads.

Unfortunately it is the hall they vote on and they enforce the rules. Heck, baseball HOF is even more odd, Jimmie Foxx, Joe Dimaggio and Cy Young just to name a few of the all time greats didnít make it in on first ballot.

AntB
02-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Sapp is a Sapp as far as I'm concerned. They should have given him a scholarship to clown school instead.

Sean Montemayor
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Warren Sapp < bantha fodder

blueribbon
02-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Sapp is a Sapp as far as I'm concerned. They should have given him a scholarship to clown school instead. Ha Ha this is where Sapp should be inducted.

http://www.theclownmuseum.com/

thomsoad
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
The phantom sack being given up early doesnít mean that if it wasnít given up, Stray wouldnítíve been pushing harder and got it later on in the game anyway.

Not exactly sure how that would have been possible since there was less then 2 minutes left in the game and Packers were just merely running the clock out since they were already comfortably ahead.