PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle: Debating His Future With The Giants

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/8/3967142/antrel-rolle-new-york-giants-salary-cap-ahmad-bradshaw-chris-canty-michael-boley

Excerpt: "Today, let's talk about Rolle. We have to do it because the Giants are still in a salary cap bind, only about $2 million under the cap at this moment with several of their own big-name players to re-sign and 19 players about to become unrestricted free agents (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/2/5/3956220/new-york-giants-2013-unrestricted-free-agents), and Rolle has a base salary of $7 million. That, incidentally, is equal to Webster's 2013 salary. The difference being Rolle has two years left on the five-year, $37 million contract he signed with the Giants while Webster is in the final year of his deal.

Let me be clear here. I do not believe Rolle is going anywhere, nor do I believe he should.Sure, Rolle is overpaid. He is paid like a premier safety, a perennial All-Pro. He has never been that and has probably been overpaid since the day he signed his Giants contract. The Giants, though, did what they had to do when the signed him. After suffering through a season of watching C.C. Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2708/c-c-brown) and Aaron Rouse (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/4408/aaron-rouse) pretend to be NFL-caliber safeties they paid the asking price to bring in a legitimate one.

Rolle may or may not be a great player, what you think of his skills is for you to decide. He is, at the least, a good one. Probably more importantly to the Giants, he is the vocal leader -- the heartbeat -- of the Giants' defense. That comment comes with apologies to defensive captain Justin Tuck, but Tuck seems to have been lost in a fog the past couple of seasons while trying to figure out where his own career is going, while Rolle has become the voice of the defense." Read more...

ibbill
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I have a hard time understanding that a player that has not put out for 2 YEARS is still on the team. Yet over paid or not Rolle always came to play.Just my thoughts

titwio
02-08-2013, 11:54 AM
The Giants look to the future at safety by cutting Rolle, signing Phillips (maybe franchise), sign Brown and use Hill and Sash as depth.

Could anyone see this as a possibility?

Kruunch
02-08-2013, 12:04 PM
The Giants look to the future at safety by cutting Rolle, signing Phillips (maybe franchise), sign Brown and use Hill and Sash as depth.

God I hope so.

titwio
02-08-2013, 12:12 PM
God I hope so.

The Giants just seem to have so many options at safety that are cheaper. Rolle's contract should way heavy on Reese's thought process (at least IMO). Will Hill is actually similar to Rolle in the fact he can play the nickel and down in the box as well. He shut down Jimmy Graham pretty well.

I don't know the details but I wonder how much the Giants save in cap space if they were to actually to do this. I don't know...seems like it would make sense.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I have a hard time understanding that a player that has not put out for 2 YEARS is still on the team. Yet over paid or not Rolle always came to play.Just my thoughts

Rolle was signed to give us a player we couldn't seem to develop. Has he been that? Is he worth his contract? I don't know. But he does play almost every snap and he has been one of the leaders in tackles. I'm not saying tackles is the only measure of a defensive player, but he's not doing nothing.

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Rolle is like the Diehl of the defense. He has versatility sure but none of it really makes you excited considering the price you have to pay (in terms of cap hits) for his services. Some people really love him and others wouldn't blink an eye if he was gone tomorrow. It's a divisive topic on this MB and others for sure.

Toadofsteel
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Just remember, Not all Browns are created equal. Stevie is NOT C.C...

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
The Giants just seem to have so many options at safety that are cheaper. Rolle's contract should way heavy on Reese's thought process (at least IMO). Will Hill is actually similar to Rolle in the fact he can play the nickel and down in the box as well. He shut down Jimmy Graham pretty well.

I don't know the details but I wonder how much the Giants save in cap space if they were to actually to do this. I don't know...seems like it would make sense.

I believe Rolle has already restructured once and, personally, I think a lot of restructuring is what really put us behind in CAP space. I hope he stays but if they can;t do that without restructuring, they should release him. We have to remember his contract was an agreement between him and the team so it's not like he held a gun to their heads.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
....if its a sound business move they will let him go. If its not they wont.....
pretty simple.
His play nor his leadership(?) will not play a factor IMO. Neither is stellar as far as I am concerned.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Just remember, Not all Browns are created equal. Stevie is NOT C.C...

Thank goodness for that

titwio
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Rolle is like the Diehl of the defense. He has versatility sure but none of it really makes you excited considering the price you have to pay (in terms of cap hits) for his services. Some people really love him and others wouldn't blink an eye if he was gone tomorrow. It's a divisive topic on this MB and others for sure.

I've actually been one of the Rolle supporters. The guy never misses games, is a vocal leader and has been very versatile. The thing is his massive contract. Reese over spent on free agents that year and with Canty and Boley already gone...I don't think cutting Rolle should be all that surprising. Especially when the Giants have a lot of youth and depth at that position.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing.

titwio
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I believe Rolle has already restructured once and, personally, I think a lot of restructuring is what really put us behind in CAP space. I hope he stays but if they can;t do that without restructuring, they should release him. We have to remember his contract was an agreement between him and the team so it's not like he held a gun to their heads.

Agree

Diamondring
02-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing.You are right about that.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing. yes but it cant be ignored either. He is a safety that cant play deep. I think that money can be invested better. Then again I didnt like this signing from the jump

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Everything is possible. I trust the FO to do what's in the best interests of the team

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I've actually been one of the Rolle supporters. The guy never misses games, is a vocal leader and has been very versatile. The thing is his massive contract. Reese over spent on free agents that year and with Canty and Boley already gone...I don't think cutting Rolle should be all that surprising. Especially when the Giants have a lot of youth and depth at that position.

It's really just the money end for me when it comes to Rolle. He does some nice things around the LoS but I don't see where he earns that salary of his when it comes to the more traditional roles of being a Safety in terms of coverage. Eric Weddle is barely paid more than Rolle and impacts a defense so much more imo.

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Whatever you think of Rolle, the fact that he is overpaid is not his doing.

Well I'd take the money if I was Rolle too lol. If you look back at how his career started (as a highly touted CB coming out of the draft), it's amazing how he has made so much money considering what he offers today.

Cloud57
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
cut Webster and Rolle

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
yes but it cant be ignored either. He is a safety that cant play deep. I think that money can be invested better. Then again I didnt like this signing from the jump

Clearly it can't be ignored, but pointing to is as though Rolle screwed the team is a bit over the top (not saynig you did). Reese seems to be in the right frame of mind given his first three (I don't count Osi) cuts. If cutting Rolle is the right thing to do, it will be done. I would imagine they'd rather get him to take a pay cut and not try restructuring again. If he says no, they can release him

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
cut Webster and Rolle

See, if we do both, and I mostly agree on Webster, we are starting to look like we're rebuilding which pretty much takes us out of the hunt for 2013.

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
If we lose Bradshaw AND Rolle this offseason, we will have ZERO heart out there anymore. Those are the 2 pulses on this team. Might as well let Cruz go and trade Eli and start all over if thats the case.

M00KIE
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM

Only problem with that is you're basically not losing a safety anyways. He's more of a small coverage LB... Now with Boley out, I'm not sure we want to lose him in the role that he plays this year. But if they cut him over money, it wouldn't surprise me much.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Well I'd take the money if I was Rolle too lol. If you look back at how his career started (as a highly touted CB coming out of the draft), it's amazing how he has made so much money considering what he offers today.

Perhaps, and there are probably many players we could describe in the same manner. I like the young guys we have and I think Rolle can be a mentor to them. He's hustles and rarely takes snaps off. But whatever they do I hope they do it soon lol

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Clearly it can't be ignored, but pointing to is as though Rolle screwed the team is a bit over the top (not saynig you did). Reese seems to be in the right frame of mind given his first three (I don't count Osi) cuts. If cutting Rolle is the right thing to do, it will be done. I would imagine they'd rather get him to take a pay cut and not try restructuring again. If he says no, they can release himNo reason to rush any of these moves now team is under the cap wait to FA and see if better options open up

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
If we lose Bradshaw AND Rolle this offseason, we will have ZERO heart out there anymore. Those are the 2 pulses on this team. Might as well let Cruz go and trade Eli and start all over if thats the case.

That's a bit of an overreaction I'd say. Leaders rise up all the time season to season. Who is to say it won't happen again?

GameTime
02-08-2013, 12:45 PM
why??....no body else can pick up the "heart" torch?? Please...
Players come and go all the time. While discounting what they have meant to the Giants Rolle and AB can certainly be replaced in both talent and attitude...

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
No reason to rush any of these moves now team is under the cap wait to FA and see if better options open up

I'm not so sure we're far enough under the CAP to just say let's wait. Reese isn't just looking at 2013, he needs to clear the decks to some degree several years out.

Cloud57
02-08-2013, 12:47 PM
See, if we do both, and I mostly agree on Webster, we are starting to look like we're rebuilding which pretty much takes us out of the hunt for 2013.I know but even if we did keep them that wouldn't necessarily put us in the hunt either.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I know but even if we did keep them that wouldn't necessarily put us in the hunt either.

One of them, OK. Both I'm not so sure in the same season. At some point, you lose your continuity

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 12:55 PM
why??....no body else can pick up the "heart" torch?? Please...
Players come and go all the time. While discounting what they have meant to the Giants Rolle and AB can certainly be replaced in both talent and attitude...

I think a lot of you guys have a warped view on some of our players. Bradshaw and Rolle will not be easy to replace because of the tremendous amount of heart they play with. Remember when most here thought Tuck was the next Strahan? Guess what, not even close. Tuck doesnt have half the heart or will Strahan did. Bradshaw has more heart then any RB we have had in a very long time. That goes a long way. Rolle, as much as people hate him on here, is one of our best players and most consistant. They are leaders. Tuck isnt a emotional leader. Eli isnt an emotional leader. They just aren't they do their leading a different way.

Im just saying, these guys will be missed way more then most think here. They have intangables you cant measure with stats. Maybe we could get a better "RB" or "S" , but it would be hard to replace their heart.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
I think a lot of you guys have a warped view on some of our players. Bradshaw and Rolle will not be easy to replace because of the tremendous amount of heart they play with. Remember when most here thought Tuck was the next Strahan? Guess what, not even close. Tuck doesnt have half the heart or will Strahan did. Bradshaw has more heart then any RB we have had in a very long time. That goes a long way. Rolle, as much as people hate him on here, is one of our best players and most consistant. They are leaders. Tuck isnt a emotional leader. Eli isnt an emotional leader. They just aren't they do their leading a different way.

Im just saying, these guys will be missed way more then most think here. They have intangables you cant measure with stats. Maybe we could get a better "RB" or "S" , but it would be hard to replace their heart.

That depends on who else they release/keep. In Bradhsaw's case we have Wilson and Brown and while I'm more confident in Brown's contribution at the moment, they will provide a very good tandem and produce IF we put a better OLine in front of them (right side especially). Behind Wilson and Brown is Scott and whoever else they bring to camp to compete. I sort of liked what little I saw of Lumpkin, so I hope he gets to camp.

If they just release Rolle, that's one thing. If they release Rolle and Webster, we start losing what I call transition players/mentors to help shepherd the young gun into starting roles. I don't see Webster as a mentor, so I'd rather they release him than Rolle THIS SEASON.

flashnando
02-08-2013, 01:21 PM

WOW! lol

simmstolt
02-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Rolle is not Diehl. He made a LOT of tackles last season that the DT's and LB's missed and he helped cover for the horrible season Webster had. He is grossly overpaid but if he is cut it will be that fact and not his play, which to me was actually quite good last year. I am not worried about replacing his leadership, in my opinion the D has been borderline terrible for most of the last 4 years and could chance someone young stepping up. Rolle did his first year. None of these guys are a Strahan, but only 15-20 defensive players in the history of the league have been. I think Webster will be cut, then they could try and restructure Rolle. They'll have to do something to get more cap room. Big cuts are not over in my opinion.

wrek537emc
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
why is everyone praising Rolle's leadership? our defense sucked this year n for the most part last year. If Rolle's leadership was such a virtue, we wouldnt have one of the worst performing secondaries in the league. For all those blaming fewell, I blame Tuck n Rolle just as much. I would rather cut all 3 n start new. i mean our defense sucked... can only get better from here.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
why is everyone praising Rolle's leadership? our defense sucked this year n for the most part last year. If Rolle's leadership was such a virtue, we wouldnt have one of the worst performing secondaries in the league. For all those blaming fewell, I blame Tuck n Rolle just as much. I would rather cut all 3 n start new. i mean our defense sucked... can only get better from here.

That's not how you stay in contention.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

I have a hard time understanding this comment,,,,hasnt put out? are you nuts? he's not here to be a cover safety and he didnt ask to have his contract ressrtucred, the team did. you do realize that for the 3 safety set to work you need a safety who is more like a hybrid LB, stout against the run, which he excels at. now I know people will cry he cant cover,,thats not what he does, and there is a reason why he is still here and will be here next season,,,the FO knows better than we do.

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 01:34 PM
That goes a long way. Rolle, as much as people hate him on here, is one of our best players and most consistant. They are leaders. Tuck isnt a emotional leader. Eli isnt an emotional leader. They just aren't they do their leading a different way.

Rolle is one of our best players? He's not even the second best player in our secondary in terms of all around talent and giving an impact to the defense. We have one of the deepest pools in terms of talent at the S position compared to the rest of the league. Hill's ceiling is higher than Rolle's in everything he does and even though Stevie Brown is a little overrated on this board because of the interceptions, he still displays better coverage in the back end. He's certainly not a bad player but to suggest he's a blue chip player like an Eli and we should blow the roster up if we lose him is a little out there.

bigbluetribe
02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Rolle while not great has more heart than most, sure he isnt worth what he is paid but he isnt worth that much less than what he makes, he is fine here, shouldnt go anywhere. we need heart

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
That's not how you stay in contention.

ok,,so what about Eli's leadership on O? if he was such a great leader the O wouldn't have stalled to a standstill, a healthy nicks or not, missing the playoffs(now I love Eli. I'm just saying). On D it all starts up front,,if you cant generate a pass rush what so ever, darellle revis could not help this team if the QB has all day to throw, thus putting additional pressure on the secondary to cover an extended period of time. is some of it on these guys, sure, but to blame rolle solely is laughable.

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Rolle is one of our best players? He's not even the second best player in our secondary in terms of all around talent and giving an impact to the defense. We have one of the deepest pools in terms of talent at the S position compared to the rest of the league. Hill's ceiling is higher than Rolle's in everything he does and even though Stevie Brown is a little overrated on this board because of the interceptions, he still displays better coverage in the back end. He's certainly not a bad player but to suggest he's a blue chip player like an Eli and we should blow the roster up if we lose him is a little out there.

This is exactly what I mean, Rolle is hated here, but he is our most important player on D outside of JPP probably. Leadership, experience, versatility... He was the QB of our defense.

However, I do love what Hill and Brown can bring, but they did it for one year. Brown has been cut by many teams and in the league for years. Why did it all of sudden click? Or was it just a one year wonder type thing. Hill is still very raw and has barely any experience. Who knows if he can step up for Rolle or KP consistantly.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM

rolle is one of our defensive players,,,his primary focus is to stop the run,,,the reason he plays up in the box to begin with. this 3 safety set does not work with out a run stopper like rolle,,,will hill's ceiling is just that, a ceiling, nothing proven, stevie brown as of now is a one year wonder,,lets see what he does next year..as far as safety depth? we have rolle and brown who we can count on to be on the field,,a perpetually injured KP, a rookie who may or may not hit his ceiling, and tyler sash,,,I hardly call that depth.

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
This is exactly what I mean, Rolle is hated here, but he is our most important player on D outside of JPP probably. Leadership, experience, versatility... He was the QB of our defense.

However, I do love what Hill and Brown can bring, but they did it for one year. Brown has been cut by many teams and in the league for years. Why did it all of sudden click? Or was it just a one year wonder type thing. Hill is still very raw and has barely any experience. Who knows if he can step up for Rolle or KP consistantly.

Now because I critique the guy I hate him? Blackburn would technically be the QB of the defense if you want to really dissect the whole enchilada. Rolle does things for this defense but is it really worth what he costs our cap situation? And is he really a must have player to the point we should blow the roster up if we cut him?

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
rolle is one of our defensive players,,,his primary focus is to stop the run,,,the reason he plays up in the box to begin with. this 3 safety set does not work with out a run stopper like rolle,,,will hill's ceiling is just that, a ceiling, nothing proven, stevie brown as of now is a one year wonder,,lets see what he does next year..as far as safety depth? we have rolle and brown who we can count on to be on the field,,a perpetually injured KP, a rookie who may or may not hit his ceiling, and tyler sash,,,I hardly call that depth.

That's the point though. He's grossly overpaid for a box safety. If the Giants feel they can trust their depth to the point they cut Rolle this offseason, I'll understand and trust the FO. If they want to keep him for another season because of some of things you stated, I'll be fine with that too.

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Now because I critique the guy I hate him? Blackburn would technically be the QB of the defense if you want to really dissect the whole enchilada. Rolle does things for this defense but is it really worth what he costs our cap situation? And is he really a must have player to the point we should blow the roster up if we cut him?

Not you but in general. People always said he was overrated and overpaid, then if the secondary breaks down they blame him even though he was asked to play up in the box to stop the run. Blackburn? Come on, he was our MLB by default. Yeah, he had a great moment or 2 this year, but he was not the QB of the defense. If any LB was Boley was. Its a real pickle the Giants are in and I am glad I am not the man calling the shots. Its tough. One thing I do know is Eli is getting over $20M next year against our cap, and that is an enormous ammount. Yeah 2 time Superbowl MVPs make that, but he still plays like a rookie at times. Its crazy. He is Captain Clutch and Mr Inconsistant all rolled up into one.

And criticizing is hating in sports. How else can you do it? You are calling out how a player plays. Not hating on the actual person, but the player. Obviously they dont hate Rolle, cause no one even knows him.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
ok,,so what about Eli's leadership on O? if he was such a great leader the O wouldn't have stalled to a standstill, a healthy nicks or not, missing the playoffs(now I love Eli. I'm just saying). On D it all starts up front,,if you cant generate a pass rush what so ever, darellle revis could not help this team if the QB has all day to throw, thus putting additional pressure on the secondary to cover an extended period of time. is some of it on these guys, sure, but to blame rolle solely is laughable.

How did this become an Eli thread? I'm not blaming Rolle for anything.

TheEnigma
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Not you but in general. People always said he was overrated and overpaid, then if the secondary breaks down they blame him even though he was asked to play up in the box to stop the run. Blackburn? Come on, he was our MLB by default. Yeah, he had a great moment or 2 this year, but he was not the QB of the defense. If any LB was Boley was. Its a real pickle the Giants are in and I am glad I am not the man calling the shots. Its tough. One thing I do know is Eli is getting over $20M next year against our cap, and that is an enormous ammount. Yeah 2 time Superbowl MVPs make that, but he still plays like a rookie at times. Its crazy. He is Captain Clutch and Mr Inconsistant all rolled up into one.

And criticizing is hating in sports. How else can you do it? You are calling out how a player plays. Not hating on the actual person, but the player. Obviously they dont hate Rolle, cause no one even knows him.

The Giants (Think it was Reese?) have even mentioned before how Blackburn is the one in charge of getting players in the proper position. I can find the link if you want? The point is that Rolle hasn't provided enough impact plays or given the Giants enough solid coverage to justify his cap hit over the years. 2012 wasn't a bad year from him at all but I'm not convinced he will do better in the next two years for us.

Pointing out a player's weaknesses is not hating. Even Eli and JPP have their own issues that can hurt this team at times. It's like you said that Eli has his moments of inconsistencies but I wouldn't claim you hate Eli because you mentioned that.

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 02:15 PM
The Giants (Think it was Reese?) have even mentioned before how Blackburn is the one in charge of getting players in the proper position. I can find the link if you want? The point is that Rolle hasn't provided enough impact plays or given the Giants enough solid coverage to justify his cap hit over the years. 2012 wasn't a bad year from him at all but I'm not convinced he will do better in the next two years for us.

Pointing out a player's weaknesses is not hating. Even Eli and JPP have their own issues that can hurt this team at times. It's like you said that Eli has his moments of inconsistencies but I wouldn't claim you hate Eli because you mentioned that.

Didnt Rolle lead this team in tackles 2 years ago? And was great in the box again this year? Maybe he doesn't deserve his salary, but who really does in sports?

And pointing out a players flaws is hating on them. I love Eli being our QB but can still be realistic. He plays like a slub at times and I personally think he does not deserve $20M a year. Is that hating? Most people think so. Thats how it is looked at.

I think Cruz should get some of that Eli money to keep him. Its like what Baltimore is going through right now. Sign Flacco to that long term big time deal, lose everyone else. Is it worth it? Obviously Flacco is a heck of a QB, but is it worth it to possibly cripple your franchise in the long run?

giantsfan420
02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
rolle is one of our defensive players,,,his primary focus is to stop the run,,,the reason he plays up in the box to begin with. this 3 safety set does not work with out a run stopper like rolle,,,will hill's ceiling is just that, a ceiling, nothing proven, stevie brown as of now is a one year wonder,,lets see what he does next year..as far as safety depth? we have rolle and brown who we can count on to be on the field,,a perpetually injured KP, a rookie who may or may not hit his ceiling, and tyler sash,,,I hardly call that depth.wait, how did rolle help the run d at all when our run d was atrocious...and I'm a big rolle supporter. I don't want him gone, I want him playing better bc he's capable of it

giantsfan420
02-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Didnt Rolle lead this team in tackles 2 years ago? And was great in the box again this year? Maybe he doesn't deserve his salary, but who really does in sports?

And pointing out a players flaws is hating on them. I love Eli being our QB but can still be realistic. He plays like a slub at times and I personally think he does not deserve $20M a year. Is that hating? Most people think so. Thats how it is looked at.

I think Cruz should get some of that Eli money to keep him. Its like what Baltimore is going through right now. Sign Flacco to that long term big time deal, lose everyone else. Is it worth it? Obviously Flacco is a heck of a QB, but is it worth it to possibly cripple your franchise in the long run?2 yrs ago, t2 led the team in tackles iirc

GiantRoc
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
There are just too many moving parts to simply make blanket statements over who goes and who stays. Everyone continues to be evaluated based on cost and ability. There are so many unknowns on this team right now. Can our young DEs step up and be a force? If so we won't need to draft any. What about the OL? We have drafted a couple projects there. Are they able to step up? As far as safety talent goes, I think we are in pretty good shape. Injuries can happen to anyone, even Rolle. Maybe KP will get through a season without injury. What we do know for sure is, we need money to keep our offensive talent.

Websters salary is money we can use elsewhere. I would rather pay a rookie less money and have him make mistakes, over a big salary player who plays poorly. I like Rolle. He sparks the team. But he commands a large amount of money. Money the team needs to find a top linebacker. This is a MUST have. Boley was cut because he was not an answer and had too high a price. Blackburn will probably follow him unless he takes minimum pay as a ST and backup. Restructuring Rolle again will only make more problems down the road.

I think we saw, with the release of AB and Canty, the staff is showing confidence in our younger RBs and DTs and Rogers. As the evaluation continues, we will see more cuts. Osi, I think for sure. Diehl, I think 70-30 gone.

Rolle staying or going is up in the air, but my gut is he will be released. Especially if we are looking LB early in the draft.

RoanokeFan
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
There are just too many moving parts to simply make blanket statements over who goes and who stays. Everyone continues to be evaluated based on cost and ability. There are so many unknowns on this team right now. Can our young DEs step up and be a force? If so we won't need to draft any. What about the OL? We have drafted a couple projects there. Are they able to step up? As far as safety talent goes, I think we are in pretty good shape. Injuries can happen to anyone, even Rolle. Maybe KP will get through a season without injury. What we do know for sure is, we need money to keep our offensive talent.

Websters salary is money we can use elsewhere. I would rather pay a rookie less money and have him make mistakes, over a big salary player who plays poorly. I like Rolle. He sparks the team. But he commands a large amount of money. Money the team needs to find a top linebacker. This is a MUST have. Boley was cut because he was not an answer and had too high a price. Blackburn will probably follow him unless he takes minimum pay as a ST and backup. Restructuring Rolle again will only make more problems down the road.

I think we saw, with the release of AB and Canty, the staff is showing confidence in our younger RBs and DTs and Rogers. As the evaluation continues, we will see more cuts. Osi, I think for sure. Diehl, I think 70-30 gone.

Rolle staying or going is up in the air, but my gut is he will be released. Especially if we are looking LB early in the draft.

That's a fact

TheAnalyst
02-08-2013, 03:17 PM
All I know is Im going to miss Bradshaw's intensity and ability to play well through the pain. Not too many players I can say that with for Big Blue.

GameTime
02-08-2013, 05:33 PM

I dont hate either Rolle or AB and I appreciate what they bring and am not naive about thier intangibles. But they are not the last players that will ever play with heart or passion. other player will fill those rolls.....it happens all the time....

mainefan
02-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Could anyone see this as a possibility?Hope not. Time to cut the injury prone players. I think Rolle exemplifies the hustle and determination that this team is sorely lacking.

jomo
02-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I have a clear recollection of that season with C Brown and Rouse as our safeties.
That said, we are not getting good value for our money with Rolle.
I like Rolle but for about half the price. if we can't lock him down in that neighborhood, we should try to move in a different direction.

Redeyejedi
02-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Hope not. Time to cut the injury prone players. I think Rolle exemplifies the hustle and determination that this team is sorely lacking. Great hustle and determination but cant cover anyone , Cant play the deep half as an 8 million dollar safety.
U want to keep Blackburn on the team as a 1 million dollar back up because he hustles fine u dont keep an 8 million dollar safety for that

Rusty192
02-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Rolle is one of our best players? He's not even the second best player in our secondary in terms of all around talent and giving an impact to the defense. We have one of the deepest pools in terms of talent at the S position compared to the rest of the league. Hill's ceiling is higher than Rolle's in everything he does and even though Stevie Brown is a little overrated on this board because of the interceptions, he still displays better coverage in the back end.I don't think it's that much of a feat to be better in coverage then Rolle is lol.

Stevie's a keeper though for straight up ballhawk ability. Something we were hoping to have with Rolle ironically.

jomo
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's that much of a feat to be better in coverage then Rolle is lol.

Stevie's a keeper though for straight up ballhawk ability. Something we were hoping to have with Rolle ironically.We over paid Rolle for a reason at that time. I get it. That doesn't mean we need to continue over paying.

A dollar saved is a dollar better spent on our next roster.

RichGiants81
02-08-2013, 08:34 PM

That would be really upsetting, I love antrel

drewz
02-08-2013, 10:27 PM

In a perfect world, this would be the case.

Phillips would be the veteran safety.. Brown and Hill up and coming safeties. Hell, you swap Hosley/Hill in and out of the nickel corner slot depending on match up. It's win/win.. nothing is lost by cutting Rolle, he sucks

Rusty192
02-08-2013, 11:18 PM
In a perfect world, this would be the case.

Phillips would be the veteran safety.. Brown and Hill up and coming safeties. Hell, you swap Hosley/Hill in and out of the nickel corner slot depending on match up. It's win/win.. nothing is lost by cutting Rolle, he sucksIf they dumped KP and kept Rolle I'd be distraught.

RichGiants81
02-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Hope not. Time to cut the injury prone players. I think Rolle exemplifies the hustle and determination that this team is sorely lacking.
Well said, not to mention all the different positions he has played without complaining.

joemorrisforprez
02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
The Giants need to clear cap room to go after top free agents.

I like Rolle alot, but I dislike his cap math even more. He's a good player, but not a $7mm / year player.

Reese is justified getting rid of anyone - Diehl, Tuck, Webster, or Rolle included - to sign a top offensive lineman like Clady, Bushrod, Long, or Albert.

Honestly, outside of a few Giants, I'm much more interested in signing top Free Agents than I am keeping guys.

RoanokeFan
02-09-2013, 04:56 PM
The Giants need to clear cap room to go after top free agents. I like Rolle alot, but I dislike his cap math even more. He's a good player, but not a $7mm / year player. Reese is justified getting rid of anyone - Diehl, Tuck, Webster, or Rolle included - to sign a top offensive lineman like Clady, Bushrod, Long, or Albert. Honestly, outside of a few Giants, I'm much more interested in signing top Free Agents than I am keeping guys. When you can, better to keep your own than bring in someone new to learn the system. Sometimes you can't.

ALLnygIN
02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
well rolle is really the only one on the defense who can consistantly wrap up and make a tackle..

Buddy333
02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
What good is being a vocal player if your play is bad? Sorry, to much money and not enough production for it.

AntB
02-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Maybe we should take a shot at Reed from the Ravens. KP is great but how do we keep him healthy?

Rat_bastich
02-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Maybe we should take a shot at Reed from the Ravens. KP is great but how do we keep him healthy?

Reed contemplates retirement about every other minute, just as Ross used to do. I think when we took KP and brought Rolle in the expectation was for one of them to be the next Reed.

jomo
02-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Maybe we should take a shot at Reed from th/e Ravens. KP is great but how do we keep him healthy?KP great?? Have you ever seen him take a correct angle at a running back hitting the edge