PDA

View Full Version : NFL making plans for bad weather at next Super Bowl?

Toadofsteel
02-12-2013, 12:45 AM
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138398/article/nfl-making-plans-for-bad-weather-at-next-super-bowl)

A nasty snowstorm pounded the Northeast last weekend, dumping up to three feet of snow while providing a sobering reminder to Super Bowl XLVIII organizers.

The region is not immune to extreme winter weather in early February. Far from it. The Sports Business Journal reported Monday that the league has already discussed several contingency plans if ugly weather hits the area on the weekend of Feb. 2, 2014.

Options include delaying the game several days or moving the game up to Saturday if bad weather is in the forecast. The league believes it can contend with a typical winter storm. The bigger concern is a nor'easter that could paralyze the region

Read more... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000138398/article/nfl-making-plans-for-bad-weather-at-next-super-bowl)

EnragedYouth85
02-12-2013, 01:00 AM
I love open aired stadiums! Makes a football game worth watching!

Toadofsteel
02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
It will only be unfortunate implications if it's, say... houston vs new orleans. Teams like the Giants, Packers, Patriots, and Ravens would have no problem playing in this weather...

EnragedYouth85
02-12-2013, 01:29 AM
It will only be unfortunate implications if it's, say... houston vs new orleans. Teams like the Giants, Packers, Patriots, and Ravens would have no problem playing in this weather...

Yup, I can see the NFL taking away Superbowls in opened aired stadiums if this happens. A lot of the warm dome teams will ***** and complain about the wind and weather lol

TheBookOfEli
02-12-2013, 03:42 AM

Dolphins vs Cardinals in Superbowl XLVIII would make me lol.

Jet-Blue
02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
The NFL, I'm sure is not really concerned about the "Football" piece of the Super Bowl in cold weather, it is everything else that goes with the Super Bowl that concerns them.

nhpgiantsfan
02-12-2013, 08:11 AM
The NFL, I'm sure is not really concerned about the "Football" piece of the Super Bowl in cold weather, it is everything else that goes with the Super Bowl that concerns them.

+1 this has nothing to do with who plays the game. Lets face it. It's not gonna be "Green Bay" temperatures. It's about the infrastructure supporting the SB. What if there is no mass transit on game day. What if NYC gets snow like Suffolk County got this past weekend? I love that the SB is coming here. But if we got a storm like we did this past weekend, the night before the game, it would be a real mess for everyone attending and/or working at the game.

RoanokeFan
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32822/Report--NFL-to-have-plans-for-bad-weather-at-next-Super-Bowl/Default.aspx

Excerpt: "With more questions than answers surrounding the Super Bowl being played outdoors in a cold-weather climate next February, one thing is for certain: The NFL will have an extensive contingency plan in place to account for bad weather, the Sports Business Journal (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/02/11/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-contingency.aspx) reports.

The league is considering various options that include the possibility of delaying the contest several days in the event of a weather emergency on game day. The league even could decide to play the game on Saturday if faced with an ominous forecast, sources said.

While contingency plans are in place for all events of this magnitude, the New York/New Jersey setting offers new challenges for the NFL. It is not a typical snowstorm that concerns the league but rather a weather crisis like a nor’easter, something that is capable of shutting down the city.

“We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game,” one source said." Read more...

Carter.525
02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Manning Bowl in the snow..!

ebick
02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
The article talked about Saturday night as a contingency. Honestly, and I know this goes against traditionalists, Super Bowl Sunday and all....but the Super Bowl should be played on Saturday nights now.