PDA

View Full Version : If Cold Weather Playoff Games Are Not An Issue With Opponents To The NY Open Air SB..

bigblue58
02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Then whats wrong with a cold weather Super Bowl?
Where is it written that the Super Bowl was meant to be played in pristine conditions?
If teams have to deal with fair or unfair advantages in inclement playoff weather to GET to the SB, how is it anymore unfair for one side or another to play in inclement SUPER BOWL weather?
I love it that the SB will be at MetLife...and I hope it's cold as a ***** and snowing like hell too!
And besides watching REAL football...... any bad weather that shortens or cancels the halftime show can ONLY be a plus!

Ntegrase96
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

The weather is not supposed to influence a championship game.

Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.

EliDaMANning
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Because there isn't supposed to be any advantage either way. If a cold weather team makes it to the superbowl against a warm weather or dome team, one could argue there is an advantage for the former.

Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.But playing in a dome will benefit dome teams over cold weather teams. It works both way. NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.

TroyArcher
02-13-2013, 05:48 PM

Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.

So if a dome team plays a team who plays on natural grass outdoors wouldn't the dome team have an advantage?

Drez
02-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Personally, I don't care to watch players slip and slide around in slush no more than I'd care to watch two teams drop like flies due to 100+ temperatures on the field. Make the field as neutral as possible and see which team has the better squad.Well, unless you want all Super Bowls in domes, warm weather locales can still of torrential downpours during games. Hell, Dallas had an ice storm 2 years ago.

Ntegrase96
02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
So if a dome team plays a team who plays on natural grass outdoors wouldn't the dome team have an advantage?

The last time that scenario happened was in 2002, but it certainly didn't help the Rams beat the Pats. Since 2000 that scenario has only happened one other time and the reverse was true... the Rams beat the Titans. So since 2000, that's a draw.

But you have a point (as does ElidaMANning). Dome teams MAY have something to gain over cold weather or outdoor teams.

...NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.

To elaborate, the best teams overcome all conditions.

Admittedly I was basing my thoughts off of age old thinking. You always hear pundits and fans alike claiming 'wow, we don't want to have to go into Lambeau or (x-cold weather team's stadium), but you don't hear the same for places like the Georgia Dome or (x-dome team's stadium)... except maybe New Orleans, but that's more of a crowd noise factor than anything.

But then I took some time and a quick glance at playoff brackets from the last 5 or 6 years, and it's pretty consistent that match-ups between dome teams and cold weather or outdoor teams are pretty much a toss up. What's really consistent is that the better team during that span won the games.

Which shouldn't really surprise me since I'm always trying to debunk the notion that Eli would be a better quarterback if he played in a dome-- it's simply not true. His performance is affected more by the team he is facing than the elements. The same could be said about all QBs.

So would like to emphatically agree with your point that that NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust, and the same could be said about adjusting to the better foot speed in a warmer dome.

...Still wouldn't care to watch teams slop it out on a slushy field for a championship.

Ntegrase96
02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Well, unless you want all Super Bowls in domes, warm weather locales can still of torrential downpours during games. Hell, Dallas had an ice storm 2 years ago.

For me it's just a personal preference.

I personally would prefer every stadium hosting the superbowl to be like Reliant in Houston or UOP in Arizona. Retractable roof and actual grass.

I cross my fingers and hope it doesn't rain every year the superbowl is outdoors. 2006 was hard to watch.

Side note; Dallas having an ice storm isn't all that crazy. It's unlikely, but DFW probably has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation. There was another ice storm in March that very same year. Usually in March we're already starting to burn and/or taking shelter in our bathrooms when tornado warnings get 'serious'-- hence cowboys stadium has a retractable roof.

ebick
02-13-2013, 08:28 PM
I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.

Drez
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
For me it's just a personal preference.

I personally would prefer every stadium hosting the superbowl to be like Reliant in Houston or UOP in Arizona. Retractable roof and actual grass.

I cross my fingers and hope it doesn't rain every year the superbowl is outdoors. 2006 was hard to watch.

Side note; Dallas having an ice storm isn't all that crazy. It's unlikely, but DFW probably has some of the most unpredictable weather in the nation. There was another ice storm in March that very same year. Usually in March we're already starting to burn and/or taking shelter in our bathrooms when tornado warnings get 'serious'-- hence cowboys stadium has a retractable roof.
Yeah, but all outdoor games have a good chance of having weather play a role in the game. Sure, the cold adds an extra element of difficulty (hard footballs that are harder to throw, catch, and kick), but it isn't like having a game in a warm weather locale is immune from potential weather hazards.

Jet-Blue
02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I think the primary reason against cold weather Super Bowls has less to do with the game and the teams and more to do with the Super Bowl weekend activities and the dignitaries who are coming to watch.

I think that is the number one reason!. It's not the "Game", it's everything else that goes with it.

tonyt830
02-13-2013, 10:36 PM

I think that is the number one reason!. It's not the "Game", it's everything else that goes with it.Couldnt agree more with both of you. The NFL is a big business now and with all of the media hype etc., the NFL wanted to make it as comfortable and "ideal" for all of the big boys, media and halftime shows.

Football is meant to be played in the elements, domes are not for the benefit of the players or coaches.

Toadofsteel
02-14-2013, 09:37 AM

God forbid you'd have to wear this in 30 degree weather:

http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/beyonce-funny-superbowl-pictures1.jpg

Ntegrase96
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Couldnt agree more with both of you. The NFL is a big business now and with all of the media hype etc., the NFL wanted to make it as comfortable and "ideal" for all of the big boys, media and halftime shows.

Football is meant to be played in the elements, domes are not for the benefit of the players or coaches.

See I've always thought of it as football is designed to endure the elements, rather than meant to play in them. Domes were probably not built for the benefit for players or coaches, but they certainly benefit players.

Ntegrase96
02-14-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah, but all outdoor games have a good chance of having weather play a role in the game. Sure, the cold adds an extra element of difficulty (hard footballs that are harder to throw, catch, and kick), but it isn't like having a game in a warm weather locale is immune from potential weather hazards.

Oh absolutely. Every outdoor stadium is subject to undesirable weather. That's why I prefer places like Reliant with a retractable roof. You have the option of closing the roof if it looks like inclement weather, but you also still have a grass field. Same with the Cardinals stadium in the desert.

Don't get me wrong. I only prefer this for the Superbowl. All other games, anything goes.

bigblue58
02-18-2013, 11:38 AM
In 07, Favre and the Packers were supposed to have an advantage over Eli and the Giants in the NFCCG by being more used to the brutally cold weather of Lambeau Field, yet it was Favre who looked like he was dying in the cold, while Eli wasn't affected by it at all!
None of these "issues" are even real anyway, they're manufactured by the media.
I haven't heard one Coach or player express concern over an open air SB.

TheAnalyst
02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
All the NFL is doing is analyzing if the cold weather would effect the amount of money the NFL would make in the week leading up to the Superbowl. That is all they care about.

blueribbon
02-20-2013, 12:17 AM
I hope they play in the snow or nasty cold like football is meant to be played. Something different for a change. The only ones that may suffer are the fans that layed out $1000 plus to sit in the cold.

SweetZombieJesus
02-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I want to see a return to cold weather championships. I also want to see every venue in the NFL get a moment in the spotlight. Bring the SB to Lambeau, Soldier Field, Gillette, etc.

As for the so-called advantage (or disadvantage to a dome/warm weather team) -- they potentially play every road game, up to 11 games, at the mercy of someone else's weather/environment. Why make the exception for a championship?

SweetZombieJesus
02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
But playing in a dome will benefit dome teams over cold weather teams. It works both way. NFL teams are supposed to handle bad weather and adjust.

Yup, what if your team is based on power and built in the trenches, then you have to play on carpet against a speedy dome team? Sounds like an advantage for them...

Drez
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
In 07, Favre and the Packers were supposed to have an advantage over Eli and the Giants in the NFCCG by being more used to the brutally cold weather of Lambeau Field, yet it was Favre who looked like he was dying in the cold, while Eli wasn't affected by it at all!
None of these "issues" are even real anyway, they're manufactured by the media.
I haven't heard one Coach or player express concern over an open air SB.Did you miss when Flacco called it ******ed?

gmen46
02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Did you miss when Flacco called it ******ed?

LOVE your new addition to your sig.. See how long it'll take for certain special someones to notice. :cool:

mrg3
03-17-2013, 12:44 AM
The Ice bowl, The 58 greatest game ever Played, The 2007 Greenbay Championship game were Some of the best games ever where played in Real Cold weather, The Rich NonFan Corp thats got to be at the game and pay The NFLs ridiculous price. Thats whose crying. Its all about money. And theyre comfort.

blueribbon
03-17-2013, 03:38 AM
BRING IT ON!

GentleGiant
03-17-2013, 03:57 AM
Did you miss when Flacco called it ******ed? Flaccos an idiot. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

miked1958
03-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Oh absolutely. Every outdoor stadium is subject to undesirable weather. That's why I prefer places like Reliant with a retractable roof. You have the option of closing the roof if it looks like inclement weather, but you also still have a grass field. Same with the Cardinals stadium in the desert. Don't get me wrong. I only prefer this for the Superbowl. All other games, anything goes.hey since your in here, what's your take on Dan Conner?

Ntegrase96
03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
hey since your in here, what's your take on Dan Conner?

I was excited about the signing last FA period because I felt he'd do better as a 3-4 ILB rather than a 4-3 MLB, and he was supposed to provide competition for the young Bruce Carter... but that race wasn't even close.

In short he's a stop gap. Not very fast, doesn't have great lateral speed, but has 'okay' instincts. Pretty good run stuffer, though. He plays the run bigger than he is (if that makes sense)... he holds his ground. But he also doesn't shed blocks as well as you would think. Not all that great on ST either. I was disappointed in the way he panned out here, but he was serviceable. Definitely not awful.

Here's a link to the entire Saints game, which was probably his best. (I'd recommend watching the videos individually and not in the thread for buffering purposes). http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=249741

Drez
03-21-2013, 02:43 AM
I was excited about the signing last FA period because I felt he'd do better as a 3-4 ILB rather than a 4-3 MLB, and he was supposed to provide competition for the young Bruce Carter... but that race wasn't even close.

In short he's a stop gap. Not very fast, doesn't have great lateral speed, but has 'okay' instincts. Pretty good run stuffer, though. He plays the run bigger than he is (if that makes sense)... he holds his ground. But he also doesn't shed blocks as well as you would think. Not all that great on ST either. I was disappointed in the way he panned out here, but he was serviceable. Definitely not awful.

Here's a link to the entire Saints game, which was probably his best. (I'd recommend watching the videos individually and not in the thread for buffering purposes). http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=249741Bringing in Connor makes me think one of two things, either the FO somehow thinks Herzlich is only a season away from becoming a starter, or we have our eyes on a MLB somewhere in the first 3 rounds and want a veteran presence there while the rook learns the ropes.

Drez
03-21-2013, 02:44 AM
LOVE your new addition to your sig.. See how long it'll take for certain special someones to notice. :cool:I know I'm late to the party on this, but I have wondered that as well. I don't think he has yet.

BlueSanta
03-30-2013, 02:55 AM
The Superbowl location isnt about the game, it is sad to say. It is about the activities surrounding the game.

Sponsors put up tents around the stadium. Merchandise is sold for hours or even days around the stradium. The NFL wants to make it's sponsors money and when it is cold or rainy there is very little foot traffic.

Furthermore the half time show needs to be a big enough performance to keep the ratings at least respectable enough to sell quality commercial time. Half time shows dont go over well in rain storms, Miami was asked to build a new roof over their stadium after the rain during the half time show a couple years ago. The NFL demanded it if they wanted future SBs.

keyofgmen
04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
I've only been to one SB. (Nightmare in Tampa). It definitely was more about the spectacle in the days before the game. Just the experience of walking around the stadium and surrounding areas was fun. On local beach, someone made a large sandcastle of Giants and Ravens helmets.Even bumped into a player and celebrity or two. T Saragusa eating at seaside place one afternoon. Endless stuff given away, and really cheap beers from every bar starting right after breakfast each day. Mixing with other Giant fans and even Raven fans was great. No real rivalry between teams then. I don't know how they will be able to duplicate this in NJ in Feb.

Others in my family have been to Arizona and Indy. Arizona was great. Indy OK, according to them.

Having said that, I hope for a real Nor'easter!