PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Top 5 at each position

TCHOF
02-16-2013, 11:47 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139744/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

Carter.525
02-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Sharrif Floyd as the #1 DT... uh oh

slipknottin
02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Mayocks list is entirely based on who he has watched so far, his list always changes, usually very dramatically as we go along

GOBLUE24
02-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Love this guys passion for draft and watching tape. He does a great job! Now if I can't get him fired form calling diner games I'd be a bigger fan. Go blue!

Redeyejedi
02-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Mayocks list is entirely based on who he has watched so far, his list always changes, usually very dramatically as we go alongYeah tried to explain this the other day. Guys like Floyd he has probably watched a lot of tape on because he is from a big school. A lot of the smaller school guys I only saw 1 or twice during the season and I watch a ton of CFB.

Redeyejedi
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Love this guys passion for draft and watching tape. He does a great job! Now if I can't get him fired form calling diner games I'd be a bigger fan. Go blue!It helps to watch when u make a million dollars to do so

G-Men Surg.
02-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Sharrif Floyd as the #1 DT... uh oh

No way. That's just plain wrong.

TheShouldersOf
02-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Kyle Long, been talking about him for a while, would love the Giants to get him, he has natural talent/ability, upside, and is athletic

GameTime
02-16-2013, 02:04 PM
1 guy's opnion. Its neither 100% right or wrong....
Giants make their own decisions either way

penguinfarmer
02-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I actually like Mayock. But this will change a lot up until the draft.

GiantRoc
02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Mayocks list is entirely based on who he has watched so far, his list always changes, usually very dramatically as we go along

Its always exciting to see these lists coming out. Agreed that this is far from the final ranking from Mayock. I always find it much more interesting to see who shows up on all the lists, and how they are ranked on each.

FBomb
02-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Is Nassib (Syracuse) really the 4th best QB in the draft?

blueribbon
02-16-2013, 02:39 PM
This will change after the combine.

Broadway Blue
02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Alec Ogletree or Ezekiel Ansah I would be very happy with

Carter.525
02-16-2013, 03:14 PM
No way. That's just plain wrong.

hope so.. would be a fan of Floyd at #19..

tonyt830
02-16-2013, 04:50 PM
hope so.. would be a fan of Floyd at #19..I would have no problem with Floyd at 19 if Richardson was gone especially. If both are gone, I sure hope Reese grabs one of the next tier of DTs in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

Carter.525
02-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I would have no problem with Floyd at 19 if Richardson was gone especially. If both are gone, I sure hope Reese grabs one of the next tier of DTs in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

I just don't want Jenkins or Hankins in the 1st..

tonyt830
02-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I just don't want Jenkins or Hankins in the 1st..correct me if Im wrong, but are they more of the big space eaters as opposed to a 3 tech? I have seen some posters here that like that kid from Bama, Jesse Williams, I believe?

Maybe they look at drafting Short or Sylvester Williams in the 2nd or 3rd rds should they miss out on Richardson or Floyd.

FBomb
02-16-2013, 05:27 PM

Ogletree is my pick......so Reese won't pick him.

G-Men Surg.
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
hope so.. would be a fan of Floyd at #19..
If they were to chose a DT in the first my boy Johnthan Hankins is my pick . Make no mistake he is a beast. Very athletic for his size, played in Big Ten against huge O-Lines and by far hands down a better player than Shariff. I don"t know why Mayock has Floyd as his 1st and Johnathan at 5 th. I'm no expert but you don't have to be one to see how's the better prospect.

Carter.525
02-16-2013, 11:37 PM
If they were to chose a DT in the first my boy Johnthan Hankins is my pick . Make no mistake he is a beast. Very athletic for his size, played in Big Ten against huge O-Lines and by far hands down a better player than Shariff. I don"t know why Mayock has Floyd as his 1st and Johnathan at 5 th. I'm no expert but you don't have to be one to see how's the better prospect.

I heard things about Hankins being lazy, with poor work ethic.. If it's true he won't be a Giant

gabriel_1
02-17-2013, 02:39 AM
If we take any DT in the 1st round it better be Sheldon Richardson. DT is a position of need but I think out OL, CB and LB are more critical, so if do take anyone it better be someone that has a Top-10 talent.

Captain Chaos
02-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Ansah in the first

nycsportzfan
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Khaseem Greene is a beast.. I've been saying that.. Hes got em 3rd on the list at his positon.. Ahead of guys like Mingo and Brown.. I agree...

I will say this though.. Last yr, i was a huge Casey Hayward guy, and i had em 2nd overall at CB positon, while many had em, including mayock like 5th or not even on the list, and hes all ready looking like one of the better Corners to come outta last yrs draft.. So, take anyone, including Mayocks lists with a grain of salt.. Its all just opinions...

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
I heard things about Hankins being lazy, with poor work ethic.. If it's true he won't be a Giant
I don't know where you read that but that's far form being true in fact he is the exact opposite.
Do you have a link ?

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 12:06 PM
If we take any DT in the 1st round it better be Sheldon Richardson. DT is a position of need but I think out OL, CB and LB are more critical, so if do take anyone it better be someone that has a Top-10 talent.
Sheldon is a great player that plays light on his feet but I don't like the fact he is not good at all as a run stopper and can struggle to anchor and had shoulder surgery more than a year ago. Even if they draft DT in later rounds it will be a run stopper.

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Sheldon is a great player that plays light on his feet but I don't like the fact he is not good at all as a run stopper and can struggle to anchor and had shoulder surgery more than a year ago. Even if they draft DT in later rounds it will be a run stopper. Richardson is a straight gap shooter. Alford is the closest thing the Giants have drafted recently to him. Not sure if they look for players like him. I think they prefer stouter guys against the run. Sylvester Williams in the 2nd round possibly

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 12:21 PM
I think it makes more sense to grade the pass rushing LB's in other category. Dion Jordan and Greene shouldnt be graded in the same top 5

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Richardson is a straight gap shooter. Alford is the closest thing the Giants have drafted recently to him. Not sure if they look for players like him. I think they prefer stouter guys against the run. Sylvester Williams in the 2nd round possibly
Exactly ! And if you look back in recent years the Giants draft and develop their own DT's. Rarely they sign a DT to long term, FA or own draft picks ( recently Canty only exception) letting them walk when rookie contract expires. I feel they will continue with this trend and continue drafting DT to replace the ones who leave.

slipknottin
02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Richardson is a straight gap shooter. Alford is the closest thing the Giants have drafted recently to him. Not sure if they look for players like him. I think they prefer stouter guys against the run. Sylvester Williams in the 2nd round possibly

Austin too, thats what he was.

nycsportzfan
02-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Richardson is a straight gap shooter. Alford is the closest thing the Giants have drafted recently to him. Not sure if they look for players like him. I think they prefer stouter guys against the run. Sylvester Williams in the 2nd round possibly Kawaan Short is a guy that reminds me of a Reese dude.. Kinda Fred Robbins like...

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Austin too, thats what he was. I guess we can count Austin. Technically he is a Giant. I havent seen him play much since 2009.
Physically Austin is a gap shooter on Sundays and even Saturdays not many gaps get shot.

U guys watch this its awful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiNuHyaDPY

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Kawaan Short is a guy that reminds me of a Reese dude.. Kinda Fred Robbins like...

Short in the 1st..?

tonyt830
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I guess we can count Austin. Technically he is a Giant. I havent seen him play much since 2009.
Physically Austin is a gap shooter on Sundays and even Saturdays not many gaps get shot.

U guys watch this its awful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiNuHyaDPYI stopped watching during the Browns game. In a lot of those clips, he was getting handled by the opposing G with single blocking. A few of the clips, he was getting pushed back a few yards and not getting off the block.

Hopefully he improves this year, it could be his last chance with the Giants.

BlessedinBlue22
02-18-2013, 01:32 AM
lol, this was why i wanted Stephen Paea, he was there and it was between him and Austin that draft. I didn't see all the hype from Austin's College Games, most were from Quinn, and one play he rushed up the middle. And yea, that Video of him this season with the Giants was pitiful. Gets pushed back, etc. BUST.

slipknottin
02-18-2013, 01:48 AM
lol, this was why i wanted Stephen Paea, he was there and it was between him and Austin that draft. I didn't see all the hype from Austin's College Games, most were from Quinn, and one play he rushed up the middle. And yea, that Video of him this season with the Giants was pitiful. Gets pushed back, etc. BUST.

Austin would have been a first rounder if he didnt sit out that year. And the player he is now has nothing to do with the player he was in college. The two years off essentially ended his career.

slipknottin
02-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Watching that video, I think he actually played better than I thought he did. I ignore the teams with the scrambling QBs, like Carolina/eagles/redskins because I cant be sure if he is asked to rush or just maintain his lane.

He just needs to keep improving his hands and use of leverage. When he gets to use his power/speed he actually does alright.

Not that I think hes a starter, but I think he could be the #3 guy.

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 02:55 AM
Of the two obviously I would take Ansah, Cb in the 1st ? Rhodes. DT Hankins. OL, Lane Johnson or Travis Frederick ( yea I know I'm reaching with Travis but I love the kid ). No TE or RB as well as safeties for me in the 1st.

BlueSabbath
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Khaseem Greene is a beast.. I've been saying that.. Hes got em 3rd on the list at his positon.. Ahead of guys like Mingo and Brown.. I agree...

I will say this though.. Last yr, i was a huge Casey Hayward guy, and i had em 2nd overall at CB positon, while many had em, including mayock like 5th or not even on the list, and hes all ready looking like one of the better Corners to come outta last yrs draft.. So, take anyone, including Mayocks lists with a grain of salt.. Its all just opinions...

I was right there with you on Hayward.

2 things that stand out that I really disagree with... Okafor not even in the top 6 DEs?! I would also put Bernard ahead of Ellington and Ball.

Redeyejedi
02-18-2013, 03:17 PM
lol, this was why i wanted Stephen Paea, he was there and it was between him and Austin that draft. I didn't see all the hype from Austin's College Games, most were from Quinn, and one play he rushed up the middle. And yea, that Video of him this season with the Giants was pitiful. Gets pushed back, etc. BUST. Paea hasnt exactly been lighting the world on fire he just hasnt been putrid like Austin. Austins athletic ability was much better then Paea dont blame them for going with Austin . he had a higher ceiling,lower floor

tonyt830
02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Watching that video, I think he actually played better than I thought he did. I ignore the teams with the scrambling QBs, like Carolina/eagles/redskins because I cant be sure if he is asked to rush or just maintain his lane.

He just needs to keep improving his hands and use of leverage. When he gets to use his power/speed he actually does alright.

Not that I think hes a starter, but I think he could be the #3 guy.I would have no problem with him being the #3 DT in the rotation. And like you said, missing his senior year in college and his rookie year with the Giants basically stunted his growth as a player. I think he needs to come to camp in shape, get a little stronger and work on his technique more ie: using his hands, leverage.

TheEnigma
02-18-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140130/article/mike-mayock-kansas-city-chiefs-four-options-for-no-1

Seriously, Warmack as the #1 overall draft pick? Has Mayock lost his mind?

nycsportzfan
02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
I was right there with you on Hayward.

2 things that stand out that I really disagree with... Okafor not even in the top 6 DEs?! I would also put Bernard ahead of Ellington and Ball. Were ya? I didn't realize anyone had Casey Hawyard ranked as high as i had em ranked.. When i initally had him ranked 2nd , most were almost thinking i was crazy, becuase of consensus, as it was still the college season, but as the draft drew alittle closer, some did start giving him alittle more respect on here.. The only think he really lacked was true speed, but everything else was way above avg with Hayward, and he made up for any lack of speed with great technique and instincts...

I agree about Andre Ellington.. I don't see where that guy stands out at all? He seems so ordinary to me, and certainly not worth a top 4rd back in my opinon.. Hes not overly stout, and not overly a blazer, and isn't overly shifty either.. He just seems like another guy to me, with no stand out aspects to his game.. I've said that for awhile now..

nycsportzfan
02-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Short in the 1st..? I'd have zero issues with Kawaan Short in RD1.. I will bring up Casey Hayward again, as like Hayward, i feel Short is a guy who is mightily underrated in the draft world, and has very few weaknesses to his game.. Hes got the size we like outta our DT's as hes well over 300lb's and stands about 6ft 3in, and he can generate a pass rush and makes many plays behind the line, and also can be a standout on special teams, as he blocked like 4kicks last yr alone.. I'm one of the only ones probably, but i'd take Kawaan Short over Sheldon Richardson.. Short has great football instincts to go with solid measurables and a knack for blocking kicks, and can penetrate with the best of em at the DT positon.. There is nothing i really dislike about Shorts game...

CGYgiant
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
I'd have zero issues with Kawaan Short in RD1.. I will bring up Casey Hayward again, as like Hayward, i feel Short is a guy who is mightily underrated in the draft world, and has very few weaknesses to his game.. Hes got the size we like outta our DT's as hes well over 300lb's and stands about 6ft 3in, and he can generate a pass rush and makes many plays behind the line, and also can be a standout on special teams, as he blocked like 4kicks last yr alone.. I'm one of the only ones probably, but i'd take Kawaan Short over Sheldon Richardson.. Short has great football instincts to go with solid measurables and a knack for blocking kicks, and can penetrate with the best of em at the DT positon.. There is nothing i really dislike about Shorts game...

How about his inconsistency or his lack of a good motor? if that's not concerning I don't know what is.

juice33s
02-18-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140130/article/mike-mayock-kansas-city-chiefs-four-options-for-no-1

The Alabama O did run rupshot over pretty much every defense they faced...They manhandled/dominated top NFL prospects from Ogletree and Jenkins to Teo and Tuitt, Minter and Bennie, and everyone in between. Not just this season, but Alabama has had RB's run through there opponents Warmacks entire career....He's a dominant, dominant player

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Even Mayock has " player man crush " as we mortals I guess.

Rawdog550
02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
So many are high on Sheldon Richardson!!!!! He is a one dimensional player. The only thing he can do is shoot gaps and if he doesn't get thru he will get manhandled cause he lacks the size to get away from Big NFL lineman. That is why Floyd is a better all around pick than Richardson. That is why Short is a better pick than Richardson. Richardson could be a great DE in a 3-4 Defense. He has the perfect size with speed and enough power coming off the edge to really make an impact there. But he cannot anchor a Defense as a DT and will just get pushed around. I think a guy like Hankins or Jesse Williams for what the Giants really need would work best and are more likely to be available. A lot of the analysts are saying up to 10 DT could go in the 1st round so any of these guys are 1st round draft pick worthy. Its just what are the Giants brass and coaching looking for?? As a Giants Fan I want a young big boddied Run stuffing DT like a Williams or Hankins Or Jenkins even. Then you have guys like Floyd and Short who have the ability to also give you that so they are possibilities. I admit I am a big fan of Jesse Williams from Bama!!!!! He played in the toughest confrence in the country against some of the best O lines. He did his job well as Bama did not give up alot of runs yardage. Bleacher report has him rated as the hardest hitting DT in this draft as well and most aggresive. The only 2 guys at DT who I question are Richardson and Slyvester from NC. And Richardson I believe could be great at DE much like JJ Watt.

Kruunch
02-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Didn't he have David Wilson as the #1 top rated RB through most of the Draft cycle last year?

BlueSanta
02-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Mike and I agree on a lot of players. Of course, i have been saying since his sophomore year that Werner would be a top 10 pick. I know a lot of guys havent been talking about him now because he wont be on the board when we pick, but I still am because that guy is a monster.

But where Mayock and I are in complete agreement is on Defensive backs. I have said that Xavier Rhodes is my #2 corner, and not far behind Milliner in my book and that Desmond Trufant is a top 5 corner. I know these ranking will change come the combine, but based on film he and I completely agree on the DBs. I know there have been a lot of other safties talked about this year with a possible KP departure. I have argued on Matt Elam's behalf all season despite his less than ideal height I still believe he showed more than any safety this year that he belongs in the NFL. I understand why Vaccaro is the top safety prospect and he deserves it, but nobody in college football played the safety position better than Matt Elam last year.

Lastly, I agree right now with Floyd as the top DT. DT is just as much about not making mistakes as it is about making flashing plays. While Richardson made the most flashy plays this year and is clearly a stud, Floyd did virtually nothing wrong the entire year and had his gap responsibility was unmatched. Perhaps 10 years ago, when the league was still in love with pocket passing Richardson would get the nod, but now, with mobile Qbs on the rise, guys who maintain their resposibility and get a good push are in more demand in my opinion.

nycsportzfan
02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
How about his inconsistency or his lack of a good motor? if that's not concerning I don't know what is.
Inconsistency? What are u talking about? Lack of motor isnt worse thing in the world to me, becasue when u play on purdue and ur down 45-10 many wks, i'd have lack of motor on occasion as well.. I've seen him more then enough, and he produces, and has very solid measurables, and is a guy who can make a diffrence blocking kicks on ST"s, as he did 4times this past yr alone.. I compare him to a young Fred Robbins, who i miss alot around here..

TCHOF
02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Inconsistency? What are u talking about? Lack of motor isnt worse thing in the world to me, becasue when u play on purdue and ur down 45-10 many wks, i'd have lack of motor on occasion as well.. I've seen him more then enough, and he produces, and has very solid measurables, and is a guy who can make a diffrence blocking kicks on ST"s, as he did 4times this past yr alone.. I compare him to a young Fred Robbins, who i miss alot around here..

Sorry man. I respect your opinion on the draft stuff -- you are very knowledgeable and obviously do your homework. But lack of motor is a no go for me. I don't care what the excuses are.