PDA

View Full Version : Ogletree DUI

quan the don
02-16-2013, 11:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletee-charged-with-dui/

How much do you guys think this will affect him.

titwio
02-17-2013, 12:05 AM
This seems to happen at this time every year. Can't say I'm surprised. He still has a lot of tests and interviews coming up so if he can say the right things, then you never know how this will affect his stock. I have a feeling if he's apologetic and then goes out and kills it at the combine....teams may be inclined to look the other way. Or it could be the complete opposite.

I don't think it will hurt him too bad. These kinds of mistakes have happened to a lot young athletes in the past. College kids make mistakes.

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I'd still take him..

titwio
02-17-2013, 12:16 AM
I'd still take him..

Maybe everyone will back off and he'll fall to the Giants in the 2nd round. :D

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Maybe everyone will back off and he'll fall to the Giants in the 2nd round. :D

this could be true.. maybe JR will too..

slipknottin
02-17-2013, 12:22 AM
No longer on the giants draft board would be my guess.

Giants simply do not and have not touched a prospect with any red flags in the first round.

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 12:28 AM
this could be huge..

Giantslb66
02-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Good.....He'll be there for us at 19!!! Take Tree!!!

BlessedinBlue22
02-17-2013, 12:49 AM
He may fall to 2nd round now..I dunno who messed up more to have the draft stock fall, but i gotta believe teo..vs alabama he couldn't even get off blocks..i wouldn;t touch him..but i'd risk it with ogletree in the 2nd . Similar to orson charkes aklso from georgia last season..a top TE who's stock dropped after DUI

gabriel_1
02-17-2013, 02:31 AM
It most definitely affects his stock mainly with the Giants... We don't seem to take people with off-field issues, but if we do is because they fell a lot and it's a value that we can't just pass. I believe Ogletree would've been there on #19, but now with the DUI I doubt we take him.

His stock will rise after the Combine though, no worries ;)

Rat_bastich
02-17-2013, 02:56 AM
I think with the most recent issues the Cowboys had with DUI's it will affect his draft staus because it shows bad judgement for someone so young that has the potential to have millions thrown his way. Interviews may help him out but some teams have probably erased him off their boards.

Captain Chaos
02-17-2013, 07:47 AM
That will certainly drop his stock, those things always hurt.

Toadofsteel
02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Lane Johnson time?

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Ogletree will have a lot of explaining to do to NFL teams. Was suspended twice while at Georgia. Has a theft charge,Failed drug test , and a DUI

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Ogletree will have a lot of explaining to do to NFL teams. Was suspended twice while at Georgia. Has a theft charge,Failed drug test , and a DUI

that's nice..

nycsportzfan
02-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I think this hurts em, and it certainly makes me think twice about em.. Simply becuase, he is resembling a bafoon.. I don't get why these morons(the ones with checkered histories all ready) don't just lock themselves into there homes untill after the draft.. It really makes me question the brightness of him..

giantcarll
02-17-2013, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine just texte me and said that Olgeltree was arrested for DUI .Did anyone hear this also.

EDIT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletree-charged-with-dui/related/ - RF

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
yes.. yes I did

EnragedYouth85
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah there should be an article on the NFL/Draft News portion of this forum.

giantcarll
02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah there should be an article on the NFL/Draft News portion of this forum.

Does this mean his draft value will drop?

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 11:54 AM
I think this hurts em, and it certainly makes me think twice about em.. Simply becuase, he is resembling a bafoon.. I don't get why these morons(the ones with checkered histories all ready) don't just lock themselves into there homes untill after the draft.. It really makes me question the brightness of him.. Get ready there will be at least 3 or 4 more that do the same thing or worse.Remember the 1 guy who was doing it with his sister. imagine how awkward it must of been for coaches to ask about that. Its worse for Ogletree because he already had some character concerns

titwio
02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
^ Tony Washington?

TCHOF
02-17-2013, 01:05 PM

He is looking less and less like a guy that the Giants would take in the first round . . . .

tonyt830
02-17-2013, 01:11 PM
I forgot about the theft charge while he was in college. But between that, the failed drug test and now a DUI, he sure better hope he lights it up at the combine and does good in the interview process.

I dont know how high or low he is on Reese's and the Giants draft board now. But like I said in another thread, he has the physical skills to be a very good to great player, but his character and off the field issues could make him look like another Kenny Britt type player.

It might be time for me to get on board the Arthur Brown or Kaseem Greene bandwagon---LOL!!

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 01:17 PM
DUI vs hoax girlfriend ? That sounds more like a Jets soap opera. They love that.

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 01:19 PM
I think that settles it. No Ogletree in the 1st but if he slides and available in the 2 nd then I think Reese pulls the trigger.

drewz
02-17-2013, 01:23 PM
DT time

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 01:26 PM
DT timeYup or Lane Johnson, if he's there..

G-Men Surg.
02-17-2013, 01:41 PM
He has already a drinking problem and hasn't met Coughlin, Fewell and Killdrive yet ? LOL! that's not good. Ha !

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Ezekiel Ansah in the first and Ogletree in the second would be perfect

nycsportzfan
02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Get ready there will be at least 3 or 4 more that do the same thing or worse.Remember the 1 guy who was doing it with his sister. imagine how awkward it must of been for coaches to ask about that. Its worse for Ogletree because he already had some character concerns

Most of these athletes today are punks anyways.. Half of em cheat, and the other half haven't been caught yet..

Did u see the AS festivites last ngiht? My god, how annoying was it looking at those idiots sitting there wearing shades indoors and all that expensive stuff, and half of em can't make a god dang FT..lol Sports has fallen so far off what it used to be morally, that its hard for me to be as diehard as i used to be... I find myself wondering why i watch these idiots...

giantscolombia
02-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Does this change his status as a first rounder?
If we had our eyes on him, will we still?

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000139902/top-linebacker-prospect-ogletree-charged-with-dui/

I Bleed Blue 56
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
It def will drop his stock what a moron.

Mr. G-Man
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
maybe we can grab him in the 2nd ^_^

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 02:32 PM
The question is will Reese be desperate enough to pull the trigger

slipknottin
02-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Giants do not draft guys with red flags in the first or second round.

That means Ogletree is either a 3rd or later type prospect for the giants, or he is not on their draft boards at all

Morehead State
02-17-2013, 02:38 PM

That means Ogletree is either a 3rd or later type prospect for the giants, or he is not on their draft boards at all
I didn't think we were drafting this kid before this happened. Now I'm sure of it.

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 02:39 PM

We are not the New York Jets

slipknottin
02-17-2013, 02:43 PM
We are not the New York Jets

I dont understand your point?

Jets dont draft guys with character issues early either, or at least they havent recently

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
I dont understand your point?

Jets dont draft guys with character issues early either, or at least they havent recently

I think Kenrick Ellis was charge with assault and battery during his college days

penguinfarmer
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Depends on how he interviews. I doubt he'll be picked first, but Giants drafted Marvin Austin in the second. He obviously was able to sway Giants from what was a dismissal from NC.

DownWitJPP
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
Depends on how he interviews. I doubt he'll be picked first, but Giants drafted Marvin Austin in the second. He obviously was able to sway Giants from what was a dismissal from NC. Austin never had issues with the law, its different

slipknottin
02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
I think Kenrick Ellis was charge with assault and battery during his college days

yea, 3rd round pick. giants have taken guys who have issues in the 3rd. Manningham for example.

DownWitJPP
02-17-2013, 02:55 PM
im kinda disappointed, this is who I wanted them to draft, I knew it was a long shot taking a LB in the first, now no way the Giants pick him up

egyptian420
02-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Well there goes the guy I wanted, time to start looking elsewhere. This sucks ####

penguinfarmer
02-17-2013, 02:59 PM
Point was there was a red flag that the Giants felt was outweighed by the talent. It wasn't even his dismissal from UNC, but rather reports of him finger pointing in his combine interviews. Even after drafting Prince, listening to Reese talk about first round CBs with no character concerns, you have to believe they took a long hard look at Jimmy Smith.

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 03:06 PM
drive before you drink.. Alec

Buddy333
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Giants do not draft guys with red flags in the first or second round. That means Ogletree is either a 3rd or later type prospect for the giants, or he is not on their draft boards at allWhere do you think Brown will get drafted? Like him better anyway.

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Where do you think Brown will get drafted? Like him better anyway.

could be there when the Giants pick in the 2nd (or Greene).. combine will tell all, I'd be happy with either

giantscolombia
02-17-2013, 03:23 PM
drive before you drink.. Alec

Maybe David Diehl can give him a few lessons... Haha

Seriously though maybe this will drop him to us in the second and we can pick up an OL in the first... Well if we even take a chance on this guy...

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Following Georgia LB Alec Ogletree's DUI, former NFL scout Bucky Brooks noted "GMs and scouts cringe when they hear about arrests and legal transgressions leading up to the NFL Draft."

"It shows immaturity and questionable character," writes Brooks. "Additionally, it makes you question whether the player can handle the pro lifestyle." This was not Ogletree's first off-field incident, as he missed four games in 2012 after failing a drug test and the linebacker also faced a theft charge in 2010.

Source: Bucky Brooks on Twitter (https://twitter.com/BuckyBrooks/statuses/303160476836188160)

giantscolombia
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM

Yea, this was in the article as well.

do you guys think the presence of Blackburn as a veteran sway our decision... Picking him on the first?

DownWitJPP
02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
looks like this is his 3rd off the field incident..freshmen year he stole a Georgia track players motorcycle helmet and was arrested, then he failed a drug test and was suspended 4 games, now the DUI...looks like this kid isn't too bright, you would think the opportunity to make millions of dollars in the NFL would make him make better decisions

blueribbon
02-17-2013, 03:39 PM
WOW.... what was this guy thinking? This is going to cost him big bucks. Should have call a friend or a cab. Giants won't draft him now in the first round.

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM
What are the chances this guy falls to us in the 2nd?

RoanokeFan
02-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Thank goodness nothing serious or that would call his judgment into question :rolleyes:

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
future Raider or Bengal

TheEnigma
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I want a DL in the 1st anyway so this is good news to me.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-17-2013, 04:12 PM
I want a DL in the 1st anyway so this is good news to me.

the giants could still take one of te'o, brown, or minter in the 1st, you never know. if he is there in the 2nd, which I doubt he makes it out of the 1st regardless, do they then take a flier on him? I have seen mathieu being mocked in the 3rd round and he had just as many problems if not more, and hasn't played since 2011. tree might be off the giants board but do you think due to his talent and upside it even matters to most teams considering mathieu's status? also, if he was ranked high on the giants board and they interview him and feel comfortable, do they roll the dice if he is there? somewhere manti te'o must be thanking his lucky stars. didnt david dielh have a recent DUI?

juice33s
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Welp, back to the drawing the board for my 1st round pick...If that was his only offense it would be one thing, but he's quickly developing a long pattern of stupidity....Warbelly anyone?

miked1958
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Ogletree will have a lot of explaining to do to NFL teams. Was suspended twice while at Georgia. Has a theft charge,Failed drug test , and a DUIDoesnt sound like a guy that JR would touch with a TEN FOOT POLL in the First round weather he drops to 19 or not. If he is still there in the 2nd Round might be worth a look

titwio
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Maybe not the Giants but I think he'll still go in the 1st IMO. Guys like Janoris Jenkins were kicked out of school, busted for marijuana possession, assault, arrest etc...still got drafted 39th overall (very close to the 1st round) A lot of college kids make mistakes and I'm not condoning his behavior for the DUI, but it's not as harsh as I think some will make it out to be in comparison to some other red flags.

He has a lot of time from now through the process to convince teams he made a stupid mistake. I think once teams see him perform at the combine, they are just going to be looking for reasons to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 05:37 PM
yea, 3rd round pick. giants have taken guys who have issues in the 3rd. Manningham for example. Hosley failed the drug test at the combine.
I dont know if u can consider Austin having flags

Redeyejedi
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Maybe not the Giants but I think he'll still go in the 1st IMO. Guys like Janoris Jenkins were kicked out of school, busted for marijuana possession, assault, arrest etc...still got drafted 39th overall (very close to the 1st round) A lot of college kids make mistakes and I'm not condoning his behavior for the DUI, but it's not as harsh as I think some will make it out to be in comparison to some other red flags.

He has a lot of time from now through the process to convince teams he made a stupid mistake. I think once teams see him perform at the combine, they are just going to be looking for reasons to give him the benefit of the doubt. Jenkins Id say was a better prospect at a more coveted position. Jenkins college tape was damn good. He shut down every big name receiver

titwio
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Jenkins Id say was a better prospect at a more coveted position. Jenkins college tape was damn good. He shut down every big name receiver

I agree it's a more coveted position but with the way the league is shifting towards mobile QB's and fast athletic TE's, the LB position is becoming a more valuable commodity as well (still not as much as corner though).

gabriel_1
02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Lets also remember that Tom Coughlin comes from a military background, so I don't think he will take a chance at Ogletree.

Sovereign
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
What are the chances this guy falls to us in the 2nd?

A big shot. No one values MLBs for good reason.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Lets also remember that Tom Coughlin comes from a military background, so I don't think he will take a chance at Ogletree.

Diehl is still on the team, he had a recent DUI.

BigJ
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Lets also remember that Tom Coughlin comes from a military background, so I don't think he will take a chance at Ogletree. to not take a shot on a kid like this because he made a mistake is so stupid, he was not robbing houses or cars he got in a car after having to much to drink he is only a kid, 22 years old and made a mistake who cares

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
to not take a shot on a kid like this because he made a mistake is so stupid, he was not robbing houses or cars he got in a car after having to much to drink he is only a kid, 22 years old and made a mistake who cares

he made more than one mistake.. thefts, drugs and now this

Giantslb66
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
he made more than one mistake.. thefts, drugs and now this I like my LBs to have a bit "bad a## attitude!"
Alec at 19!!!!!!!!!

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I like my LBs to have a bit "bad a## attitude!"
Alec at 19!!!!!!!!!

Like James Harrison

TCHOF
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
to not take a shot on a kid like this because he made a mistake is so stupid, he was not robbing houses or cars he got in a car after having to much to drink he is only a kid, 22 years old and made a mistake who cares

He has a history of off-the-field issues, and this one just one week before the combine shows that he is an absolute moron.

As for who cares . . . the Giants do . . . . he will not be picked by the Giants at 19.

TCHOF
02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Like James Harrison

Did someone draft James Harrison in the first round? Exactly.

Carter.525
02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
Did someone draft James Harrison in the first round? Exactly.

haha.. very true

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
He has a history of off-the-field issues, and this one just one week before the combine shows that he is an absolute moron.

As for who cares . . . the Giants do . . . . he will not be picked by the Giants at 19.

really? when did you start your job in the FO? he's a kid, if the giants were high on him, and his interview questions satisfy them, they may very well take him,,BPA could be him at 19 now.

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Well like it or not, agree or not FO " down played " Marvin Austin red flags when they drafted him in the 2nd. We can spin it any way we want or for that matter FO can do the same but Marvin had some, character issues? DIU ? There all the same in my eyes, bad choices and mistakes in life. In the end its a business and FO once in a while will make a " leap of faith " and take chances on someone, sometimes works and sometimes well it just goes south.

slipknottin
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM
really? when did you start your job in the FO? he's a kid, if the giants were high on him, and his interview questions satisfy them, they may very well take him,,BPA could be him at 19 now.

Giants have never touched a player in the first round with character red flags. They may have never touched one in the second round either

slipknottin
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Well like it or not, agree or not FO " down played " Marvin Austin red flags when they drafted him in the 2nd. We can spin it any way we want or for that matter FO can do the same but Marvin had some, character issues? DIU ? There all the same in my eyes, bad choices and mistakes in life. In the end its a business and FO once in a while will make a " leap of faith " and take chances on someone, sometimes works and sometimes well it just goes south.

Marvin Austins issues were completely different, never broke a law, never failed a drug test. He had an agent buy him a hotel room.

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 02:40 AM
Marvin Austins issues were completely different, never broke a law, never failed a drug test. He had an agent buy him a hotel room.

I knew you were going to say that so I'm going to play devil's advocate. Doble morality comes to mind here in a society that always tries to explain or excuse all those in fault, by Ogletree being arrested for DUI means he is a drunk and can't be trusted ? I don't think so. Is Austin croocked or a cheater for getting caught for recieving those benefits ? I don't think so either. The truth of the matter is they are kids, young athletes who make mistakes, immature kids who fall easly to temptation. Of course falts and sins have different magnitudes and by consequence different repercussions but they are all judgement mistakes.
That been said Ogletree wasn't my choice ( mock draft ) in the first place but if in the end the Giants signed their own FAs and fill their needs and still ILB is a glaring hole and draft Ogletree because they think he is the BP at whatever round he is available ? I would not be surpirsed at all obviously with the previous background homework check done by FO. I'm not naive bro and for sure Reese isn't either.

evojutsu
02-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Well this settles it, if he 's there at 19- the giants will not gamble on him till the 2nd round. So it narrows it down to DE/OT/DT

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 03:01 AM
Well this settles it, if he 's there at 19- the giants will not gamble on him till the 2nd round. So it narrows it down to DE/OT/DT
Could be but don't throw away the possibility of the Giants drafting a CB in the 1st if they make drastic changes to the roster this coming weeks .

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Could be but don't throw away the possibility of the Giants drafting a CB in the 1st if they make drastic changes to the roster this coming weeks .

or the fact that if the giants were really high on him, accept what he has to say at the combine, and he happens to slide to 19, maybe it becomes another BPA situation they can't pass up. just throwing it out there, anything is possible.

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 04:18 AM
or the fact that if the giants were really high on him, accept what he has to say at the combine, and he happens to slide to 19, maybe it becomes another BPA situation they can't pass up. just throwing it out there, anything is possible.
True. But in large part the first round pick by the Giants will depend in what transpires in coming weeks in the combine and FA, the final needs will shape up when the dust settles form FA. BPA and need practically every year have been even keel with some few exceptions.

hungrrrry
02-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Maybe everyone will back off and he'll fall to the Giants in the 2nd round. :Dhe seems to have more off-field issues than just this one occurrence. However, I doubt he drops to the second pick and in our lap. I honestly think we should back off with our 1st also. I don't want to see a Vontez Burfict deal here and lose him to someone in the 6th or worse in drafted FA signings. I still wouldn't bank on it and would pick LB in the first.

TCHOF
02-18-2013, 09:50 AM

I don't have to have a job in the FO to know that the Giants FO has NEVER taken a guy in the first round with significant character concerns. If you follow this team at all, you know that is not their way and that this guy will not be drafted by the Giants in the first round.

If you want to keep thinking that there is a chance that the Giants will suddenly change their first round draft philosophy and take this guy, then go right ahead.

JSpin
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Idk how old some of you are on here, but I'm in the same shoes as these kids as far as being a college junior. Now I'm not gonna say I've done some of the dumb things as Ogletree but I know people who have and they are not bad people, they just made mistakes.Diehl got a DUi for Christ sake! Also weed is well documented to not be harmful it's being legalized in places. If Ogletree is there at 19 and he's the BPA you take him no questions asked.

TCHOF
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Idk how old some of you are on here, but I'm in the same shoes as these kids as far as being a college junior. Now I'm not gonna say I've done some of the dumb things as Ogletree but I know people who have and they are not bad people, they just made mistakes.Diehl got a DUi for Christ sake! Also weed is well documented to not be harmful it's being legalized in places. If Ogletree is there at 19 and he's the BPA you take him no questions asked.

As a college junior, you probably haven't had much exposure to the business world.

Football is a business. The draft is by no means an exact science, but teams like the Giants certainly have formulas for decreasing the odds of drafting "busts". Drafting a guy in the first round with an already-checkered past who is dumb enough to get a DUI one week before the scouting combine creates a "bust" risk that the Giant FO, as a business organization, is unlikely to take.

No one is saying that the guy is some sort of terrible person or that he will never be a good football player. Just that he is a risk to take in the first round.

Diehl's situation is not even remotely comparable to this one.

JSpin
02-18-2013, 10:57 AM
As a college junior, you probably haven't had much exposure to the business world.

Football is a business. The draft is by no means an exact science, but teams like the Giants certainly have formulas for decreasing the odds of drafting "busts". Drafting a guy in the first round with an already-checkered past who is dumb enough to get a DUI one week before the scouting combine creates a "bust" risk that the Giant FO, as a business organization, is unlikely to take.

No one is saying that the guy is some sort of terrible person or that he will never be a good football player. Just that he is a risk to take in the first round.

Diehl's situation is not even remotely comparable to this one.

Yea I totally get the business aspect of it (business student) but that's not my problem haha I'm a fan and I want talented players on my team. I'll let the coaches worry about keeping him in line.

Redeyejedi
02-18-2013, 11:31 AM
Yea I totally get the business aspect of it (business student) but that's not my problem haha I'm a fan and I want talented players on my team. I'll let the coaches worry about keeping him in line. The Giants have to invest millions of dollars and the best resource in improving the quality of the team into him. How much they care about football matters

miked1958
02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
You right, its a Business where the Teams invest Millions on players. The giants have been know to stay away from Head Cases.

Redeyejedi
02-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Speaking of stupidity Daquan Bowers was arrested at Laguardia with a loaded gun

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/DaQuan-Bowers-Arrested-LaGuardia-Airport-Gun-Possession-NFL-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-Rookie-Defensive-End-191722191.html

BlueSanta
02-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Yea I totally get the business aspect of it (business student) but that's not my problem haha I'm a fan and I want talented players on my team. I'll let the coaches worry about keeping him in line.

No, thats not how it works. Not for this team.

There are so many factors you are not figuring into this equation. The Giants HAVE to take a different approach to players than most teams in the league because of the nature of NYC. In NYC immaturity WILL show itself. The nightlife, the parties, and the events combined with the most ruthless media in the world make for public relations disasters. NYG 1st round pics will have more microphones and cameras in front of them in their 1st week with the team than they will their entire life, much like every major market team's 1st round pick. The difference is the media here will try very hard to heckle you and get you to say something stupid and quotable. With all due respect to Philly, there isnt a better collection of hecklers in the world than there is here in NYC and I think they all work in the media.

This is the same media that managed to have half the NYG fans on these very boards asking for the Giants to cut Michael Strahan in 2006. They actually almost managed to run the most likable Giant, perhaps of all time, out of town. If you dont remember the media was all over him for 2 things 1) his very public divorce and 2) his contract discussions with the team.

Here we are on the eve of the biggest moment in Ogletree's life, his draft day, not to mention the combine. How is he handling it? He went out partying and got busted driving drunk. How do you think he would do if he lived here in NYC day in and day out? Here we have a kid who couldnt control himself now, when all the chips are on the table and his future is on the line. Yet, you think this team culd trust him to control himself when the NYC nightlife is temping him every night?

Im sorry, I liked Ogletree as a prospect, prior to this DUI I would not have been upset if we had selected him, although I do think we have more pressing needs. However, now I believe there is zero chance of him being a NYG unless it is in the 2nd or beyond, which is unlikely. This team cares about maturity, character and intelligence and a kid who drives drunk now, during the most important few weeks of his life lacks some of those qualities.

Carter.525
02-18-2013, 07:59 PM

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/DaQuan-Bowers-Arrested-LaGuardia-Airport-Gun-Possession-NFL-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-Rookie-Defensive-End-191722191.html

what a idiot..!

nycsportzfan
02-18-2013, 08:22 PM

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/DaQuan-Bowers-Arrested-LaGuardia-Airport-Gun-Possession-NFL-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-Rookie-Defensive-End-191722191.html Like i said,the older i get, the less i respect athletes.. Most of these guys are complete idiots.. I don't know one person that could ever be so stupid.. Seriously, is there a speck of brain cells in some of these guys? I'm not kidding either, is there???lol

nycsportzfan
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
No, thats not how it works. Not for this team.

There are so many factors you are not figuring into this equation. The Giants HAVE to take a different approach to players than most teams in the league because of the nature of NYC. In NYC immaturity WILL show itself. The nightlife, the parties, and the events combined with the most ruthless media in the world make for public relations disasters. NYG 1st round pics will have more microphones and cameras in front of them in their 1st week with the team than they will their entire life, much like every major market team's 1st round pick. The difference is the media here will try very hard to heckle you and get you to say something stupid and quotable. With all due respect to Philly, there isnt a better collection of hecklers in the world than there is here in NYC and I think they all work in the media.

This is the same media that managed to have half the NYG fans on these very boards asking for the Giants to cut Michael Strahan in 2006. They actually almost managed to run the most likable Giant, perhaps of all time, out of town. If you dont remember the media was all over him for 2 things 1) his very public divorce and 2) his contract discussions with the team.

Here we are on the eve of the biggest moment in Ogletree's life, his draft day, not to mention the combine. How is he handling it? He went out partying and got busted driving drunk. How do you think he would do if he lived here in NYC day in and day out? Here we have a kid who couldnt control himself now, when all the chips are on the table and his future is on the line. Yet, you think this team culd trust him to control himself when the NYC nightlife is temping him every night?

Im sorry, I liked Ogletree as a prospect, prior to this DUI I would not have been upset if we had selected him, although I do think we have more pressing needs. However, now I believe there is zero chance of him being a NYG unless it is in the 2nd or beyond, which is unlikely. This team cares about maturity, character and intelligence and a kid who drives drunk now, during the most important few weeks of his life lacks some of those qualities. I was one of the first ones on here raving about Ogletree, and I coulden't agree more.. I choose to overlook his other off field issues because people tend to make mistakes in there late teens/very early 20's, but the fact that he did this, when he all ready knew how important the next couple months of his life are going to be, because of his all ready off field issues, is mind numbingly stupid, and kinda goes to show you, he most likely didn't just make a few mistakes, but is simply a stupid guy who dosen't think of consequences untill after they all ready have occured..

dakotajoe
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
I like his skills but I'd be absolutely shocked if Reese picks him now.

Theft, drugs, and now a DUI.

juice33s
02-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Like i said,the older i get, the less i respect athletes.. Most of these guys are complete idiots.. I don't know one person that could ever be so stupid.. Seriously, is there a speck of brain cells in some of these guys? I'm not kidding either, is there???lol
lol, I'm with ya, there are all a bunch of hip hop *******s, jk but not really

G-Men Surg.
02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Lane Johnson time?

I don't have anything against if the Giants pick him up, for some he is the most instinctive LT coming out this year. I've seen you are in Lane's bandwagon for quite a while but do you still want him if the Giants sign Beatty long term ?

nycsportzfan
02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
lol, I'm with ya, there are all a bunch of hip hop *******s, jk but not really Its embaressing what we pay these morons as a country.. There spoiled morons who continue to over value themselves and do stupid stuff... It cracks me up what some of these guys think there worth.. It cracks me up watching guys shoot themselves in the leg, bring loaded guns to the airport, end up in court for murder, get DUI's, fail drug tests, steal..etc So many of these guys are ret-ards...

Kruunch
02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I think this solidly ejects him from first round consideration.