PDA

View Full Version : Should Big Blue consider the Honey Badger?

Down at the One
02-19-2013, 07:49 PM
In spite of his off-field issues, does his talent make him worthy of a selection? He could certainly contribute and I'm sure our locker room could handle him. Getting away from Louisiana will do him good too. Thoughts, opinions?http://www.downattheone.com/College-Football/The-Honey-Badger-Problem

B-Red22
02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes from 5th round on

Carter.525
02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
can't see JR taking him.. I would though

G.I. Ants
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Watching Mathieu play, he was really a major reason why LSU was successful a couple of seasons ago. I personally think he is better suited playing safety for us if he was on the team because Hosely is already our slot guy, and I think Mathieu size would be a major liability as the #2 corner. He is crazy talented but unfortunately, he is a headcase from what I heard. Last year, I was hoping we draft Janoris Jenkins because he was IMO, the best corner in that draft and he played like it last year. They both had OTF issues but like B-Red said, if he's there in round 5, why not.

titwio
02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I would consider him. I actually see a team taking a flyer on him in the 3rd. He's not an elite type CB but he's versatile as hell and has a knack for making plays. Not to mention he's a dangerous kick returner too.

He's a guy who can help his cause by testing and interviewing well at the combine.

Redeyejedi
02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Janoris Jenkins was a much better cover corner than Mathieu though. Jenkins manned up the SEC';s best WR's on the outside. He is a much better player than Mathieu. Mathieu is a sub package player and Kick returner. Strong Safety / Nickel CB play short zone coverage or man up smaller WR's

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Janoris Jenkins was a much better cover corner than Mathieu though. Jenkins manned up the SEC';s best WR's on the outside. He is a much better player than Mathieu. Mathieu is a sub package player and Kick returner. Strong Safety / Nickel CB play short zone coverage or man up smaller WR's

mathieu is much more than coverage,,the kid has ed reed ball skills and is a pretty elusive return man. he strips the ball like no one I have ever seen,,he is always around the ball making plays and he isn't afaid to tackle,,you cant teach his instincts. if we could grab him in the 5th on why not? move him to safety where he can use his talents, he doesn't have to line up against anybody to be effective. he will be gone in the 3rd round, so all of this is mute.

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 10:15 PM
No. Mathieu isn't much more than coverage. He isn't a coverage player at all.

He's a good football player, but he haven't played in a long time and he was always tiny to begin with. Don't think you touch him in the draft. Undrafted sure. But he isn't a starter. He's a sub package guy at best. May end up only being a returner at his size

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 10:49 PM
No. Mathieu isn't much more than coverage. He isn't a coverage player at all.

He's a good football player, but he haven't played in a long time and he was always tiny to begin with. Don't think you touch him in the draft. Undrafted sure. But he isn't a starter. He's a sub package guy at best. May end up only being a returner at his size

if you line him up on a receiver, no he isnt a coverage guy. you play him at safety and he is much better. not a chance he goes undrafted, he's gonna go in the third or fourth round to a team like baltimore or the 49ers. not saying he is a starter but to take a flier on him in a later round where many prospects get cut anyways is a no brainer if he were there. he was tiny when he excelled in the sec against NFL caliber players. I think a lot of teams will wish they rolled the dice. also, he is an inch shorter than janoris jenkins and 10 pounds lighter,,not much difference there so the whole tiny thing isn't as glaring as you make it sound, his 2 year total SEC numbers were better than jenkins 3 year sec totals. bottom line is the kid can play.

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
The difference is Jenkins is an outside corner. Don't have to be the biggest guy to play there. That's not what Mathieu does though. Watch any film of him having to cover a receiver, he struggles a ton. His strength was how physical he was and he created turnovers with his instincts. But how long is a 175 pound guy who tries to hit hard every play going to last in the nfl? Weeks I would guess.

Plus all his off the field baggage. And teams want guys they know what to do with. Not a mystery tweeter type.

I'm not sure if he runs real well at the combine either. Not sure he has special speed. Might be more of a mid 4.4 guy

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
The difference is Jenkins is an outside corner. Don't have to be the biggest guy to play there. That's not what Mathieu does though. Watch any film of him having to cover a receiver, he struggles a ton. His strength was how physical he was and he created turnovers with his instincts. But how long is a 175 pound guy who tries to hit hard every play going to last in the nfl? Weeks I would guess.

Plus all his off the field baggage. And teams want guys they know what to do with.

well slip,,,his college numbers suggest differently. he wont be a corner in the NFL, he will most likely move to safety where his ball skills can be utilized. look at all the small running backs that have taken a pounding such as charlie garner and dave meggett, he needs to put on some weight and he will be fine.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
all I have to say is if guys like charlie garner and dave meggett who took a pounding as diminutive running backs can have productive careers in the league so can this kid. I think teams will find a place for a special talent like mathieu, his ball skills are undeniable. I agree though, the faster he runs at the combine the better for him.

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
well slip,,,his college numbers suggest differently. he wont be a corner in the NFL, he will most likely move to safety where his ball skills can be utilized. look at all the small running backs that have taken a pounding such as charlie garner and dave meggett, he needs to put on some weight and he will be fine.

Now you're talking about guys years ago. What 175 pound safety's are there in the nfl? The only position guys that size can play and survive for any length of time is as a returner and possibly a sub package guy where they don't get hit much.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Now you're talking about guys years ago. What 175 pound safety's are there in the nfl? The only position guys that size can play and survive for any length of time is as a returner and possibly a sub package guy where they don't get hit much.

yeah, guys who played against much bigger defensive players, the year doesnt matter, its the fact that is if a small running back can make it, matthieu can certainly make it in a position where he isnt getting pounded on. the defensive guys werent any smaller back in the day. sub package could suit him well,, piut him in and go after the ball.

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 11:05 PM
And lets not forget he only had 4 career college interceptions. He made his big plays doing a lot of other things. Blitzing he was exceptional. Both against run and pass. And the ball on fumbles always seemed to find him

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 11:07 PM
yeah, guys who played against much bigger defensive players, the year doesnt matter, its the fact that is if a small running back can make it, matthieu can certainly make it in a position where he isnt getting pounded on. the defensive guys werent any smaller back in the day. sub package could suit him well,, piut him in and go after the ball.

What undersized backs are playing in the league right now that get any kind of significant carries?

You keep bringing up this back in the day stuff like that's still relevant. Nose tackles back then were maybe 300 pounds at most. Guards and centers were 280 pounds.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
What undersized backs are playing in the league right now that get any kind of significant carries?

You keep bringing up this back in the day stuff like that's still relevant. Nose tackles back then were maybe 300 pounds at most. Guards and centers were 280 pounds.

I'm bringing it up to make a point you are missing, and by the way, Antoine Winfield and Jim Leonard were mathieu's size and played pretty well in the NFL so it is possible for the kid to make it.

slipknottin
02-19-2013, 11:22 PM
And in Leonard's 7 year career he's made it through all 16 games 3 times... And one of those seasons he wasent a starter.

Winfield's 13 year career he made it through all 16 games 6 times.

Neither has stayed healthy for even half of their seasons... Pretty stunning that those guys get hurt far more frequently.

Winfield had the added benefit of playing outside for a large part of his career. Though in a cover 2 he was asked to make a lot of run support tackles.

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-19-2013, 11:31 PM
And in Leonard's 7 year career he's made it through all 16 games 3 times... And one of those seasons he wasent a starter.

Winfield's 13 year career he made it through all 16 games 6 times.

Neither has stayed healthy for even half of their seasons... Pretty stunning that those guys get hurt far more frequently.

Winfield had the added benefit of playing outside for a large part of his career. Though in a cover 2 he was asked to make a lot of run support tackles.

well, lets wait and see what happens in the draft.

Redeyejedi
02-20-2013, 11:27 AM
all I have to say is if guys like charlie garner and dave meggett who took a pounding as diminutive running backs can have productive careers in the league so can this kid. I think teams will find a place for a special talent like mathieu, his ball skills are undeniable. I agree though, the faster he runs at the combine the better for him.Your saying ball skills but his ball skills arent sitting in Cover 2 in the deep half and making plays on the ball. He is coming in as the 2nd guy and ripping the ball out ,forcing fumbles. there is a difference between Earl Thomas , Ed Reed type in single high reading the QB and breaking on the ball. Can Mathieu do that maybe but thats not the ball skills he showed at LSU. Mathieu made plays close to the line of scrimmage.

BlueSabbath
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM

Took the words out of my mouth.

As someone said, 5th round(mayyybe the 4th depending on pro day) because he does seem to have some sort of "it" factor on the field.

Fharcyde
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Hosley seems like a perfect slot corner, but we're going to need someone to take Corey Webster's spot eventually opposite of Amukamara. Mathieu doesn't have the ideal size to play on the outside against a lot of the bigger receivers we'll see in the NFC.

juice33s
02-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu recently ran a hand-timed 4.47 forty-yard dash during his pre-Combine training.

NFL teams are beginning to sort through Mathieu's 2011 game tape, and there is a buzz about his big-play ability both on defense and special teams. It sounds like he's in shape after sitting out the 2012 football season and training hard with Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson, Mathieu's college teammate. "Patrick goes at him hard; he'll push him on the ground or whatever he's got to do to get Tyrann prepared," said Peterson Sr. "He's looking like Tyrann. He's staying away from the off-field stuff and he's focused. He looks like he means business, very locked in. He knows he can't get another strike."
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/0/nfl-draft-headlines/

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu recently ran a hand-timed 4.47 forty-yard dash during his pre-Combine training.

NFL teams are beginning to sort through Mathieu's 2011 game tape, and there is a buzz about his big-play ability both on defense and special teams. It sounds like he's in shape after sitting out the 2012 football season and training hard with Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson, Mathieu's college teammate. "Patrick goes at him hard; he'll push him on the ground or whatever he's got to do to get Tyrann prepared," said Peterson Sr. "He's looking like Tyrann. He's staying away from the off-field stuff and he's focused. He looks like he means business, very locked in. He knows he can't get another strike."
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/0/nfl-draft-headlines/

a lot of teams are gonna be sorry they passed on him. his shear desire to get to the football is something you can't teach.

titwio
02-21-2013, 12:48 AM
a lot of teams are gonna be sorry they passed on him. his shear desire to get to the football is something you can't teach.

I can really see him thriving in the nickel/slot corner role. If teams get creative they can use him in multiple ways shifting from that to safety. He's not ideal as some mentioned here but I do believe he can be an asset to teams. I loved watching him at LSU and will be one of the guys rooting for him to succeed. I just hope what that article says is true and he's keeping out of trouble and staying focused.

Captain Chaos
02-21-2013, 06:16 AM
I'd pass on this guy we already have one undersized CB we don't need more...

slipknottin
02-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Really his skill set is a linebacker. But his size says corner. Really odd mix

BlessedinBlue22
02-21-2013, 07:39 PM
With Wilson our starter at RB and Hixon a FA, who will be handling the special teams KO's and punts? Mattheiu was one of the best and exciting behind Patterson of Texas. This guy would really give us that spark on special teams we need, even making tackles and plays on defense. If he's there in the third they need to grab him. Just re watch some of his highlights, the kid is a playmaker.