PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith Vs Victor Cruz

a50yrfan
12-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Although most of us wanted the Giants to rehire Steve Smith. We should be aware that if Smith were rehired then it would have been unlikely that Victor Cruz would have been given a chance. Now we know that Cruz is better than Smith. I maintain that a lot of talented players never get a real chance in this league because the coaches and management are so wedded to the veteran players. Cruz was a real diamond in rough that is better than any # 1 draft choice.Cruz was not even drafted. More power to him. He is just great.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Although most of us wanted the Giants to rehire Steve Smith. We should be aware that if Smith were rehired then it would have been unlikely that Victor Cruz would have been given a chance. Now we know that Cruz is better than Smith. I maintain that a lot of talented players never get a real chance in this league because the coaches and management are so wedded to the veteran players. Cruz was a real diamond in rough that is better than any # 1 draft choice.Cruz was not even drafted. More power to him. He is just great.

In fairness to Cruz, I'd like to think he wold be right where he is no matter what. He has TALENT and they would have given him the same chances to make plays. It may have taken longer, but remember, Cruz has only "started" four (I think) games.

Redeyejedi
12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
College Football is loaded with great receivers nowadays. Some of these guys are bound to slip through the cracks. </P>

look at Doug Baldwin for the Seahawks was an UDFA.He played with Andrew Luck last year and is having a great rookie year 48 catches for 748 yards.</P>

</P>

Antone78
12-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I hope that we do get Steve Smith back next year. He is a very smart receiver who knows what is going on the field of play and has great sync with Eli. That has become more obvious this year as we have had to deal with Mario Manningham and his not so smart way of playing. You have to be really smart to succeed at receiver and this league and Steve Smith spoiled us with that. I want Manningham gone, our offense is too complex for him, and I want Steve Smith back to lineup with Nicks and Cruz. Three smart players who can make plays with their skills along with their strong understanding of the position.

Redeyejedi
12-26-2011, 11:57 AM
One thing that the Giants are still missing is that guy underneath that runs killer routes thatcould move the chains. Cruz and Nicks make big plays but a 2009 Steve Smith would make this pass attack unstoppable.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2011, 11:59 AM
One thing that the Giants are still missing is that guy underneath that runs killer routes thatcould move the chains. Cruz and Nicks make big plays but a 2009 Steve Smith would make this pass attack unstoppable.

Don't discount Jake Ballard

yoeddy
12-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Disagree...had we signed Smith, he would have been on the injury list for much of the season and we would have seen Cruz anyways...

NY_Eli
12-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Hopefully we have Nicks, and Cruz outside next year with Smith working the slot.

NWKEffectElement
12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
I hope that we do get Steve Smith back next year. He is a very smart receiver who knows what is going on the field of play and has great sync with Eli. That has become more obvious this year as we have had to deal with Mario Manningham and his not so smart way of playing. You have to be really smart to succeed at receiver and this league and Steve Smith spoiled us with that. I want Manningham gone, our offense is too complex for him, and I want Steve Smith back to lineup with Nicks and Cruz. Three smart players who can make plays with their skills along with their strong understanding of the position.

No chance in hell that happens. Smith is on IR with the same knee injury. His career may be over. Even if he didn't suffer that second injury he would not have played with the Giants again.

jomo
12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)trio.

yoeddy
12-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)*trio.

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?109 catches says yes.

IamGiantsfan
12-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Is it really true about Smith's hands? One of the lasting memories of him is the deflection off his hands that led to Eli's only INT in the 2007 playoffs. And he did it again against the Giants in Philly this year, right?
his hands are overrated, i've seen him drop plenty of passes

NWKEffectElement
12-26-2011, 12:18 PM

I beg to differ. Watch the Youtube video of Eli's picks last year. He had at least 4 bounce off his hands. He had decent hands, nothing special once so ever.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 12:19 PM

his hands are overrated, i've seen him drop plenty of passes2009, targeted 154 times with 6 drops.

yoeddy
12-26-2011, 12:21 PM

his hands are overrated, i've seen him drop plenty of passes2009, targeted 154 times with 6 drops.

What are Cruz's numbers this year? And is it really fair to compare Steve Smith in his 3rd year with the team vs. Cruz in essentially his 1st?

lilredk
12-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Cruz is doing the job, Smith can still do the job once healthy...The difference between Cruz and Smith is "YARDS AFTER CATCH" in which I feel Cruz excels at....

jomo
12-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Cruz can do almost everything Smith could....but the reverse is definitely not true.Smith was more reliable with the hands but Cruz introduces an element of explosiveness that Smith could/never will come close to. If Smith is healthy, that would be a very enticing and cost effective (inside the cap)trio. I beg to differ. Watch the Youtube video of Eli's picks last year. He had at least 4 bounce off his hands. He had decent hands, nothing special once so ever.He didn't get the nickname "third and Smith" by being unreliable. Smith had a few drops last year but he had a longer run with us and was always a very reiable "hands" guy. No knock on Cruz yet because he is effectively a rookie. Just saying that he is behind Smith as a possession receiver. I concluded that I'd like to see the three of them playing next year. What I didn't say was that MM will go for big money and I have no interest in him.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 12:25 PM

What are Cruz's numbers this year?113 targets, 7 drops.

mattpl908
12-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Victor cruuuz is the player of the season according to me. Everyone loves him and he brings a much needed "zest" to the team. Hope we give him a loooooong contract once his is up.

Cruuuuuz

slipknottin
12-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I still think Smith and Cruz would compliment each other.

Cruz is a dynamic outside receiver, Smith is an excellent slot receiver.

Cruz can hit the big play, while Smith can extend drives. Let's not forget he was once named 3rd and Smith.

Vtgmenfan89
12-26-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't think there is much comparison now to be honest. Especially after Smith's injury and how he did little to nothing with the eagles this year. Cruz's route running will only get better, he's faster, shiftier, and is a big play waiting to happen anytime Eli throws it his way. Smith can be a journeyman the rest of his career, let's get Cruz signed up to be a Giant for life! I think he has the mentality that he would like to be, especially being from Jersey. Now it's on Reese to NOT screw up and let guys like him or Nicks (he's had a few off games but he's still an excellent receiver) and JPP ever leave this team. Reese really needs a financial advisor or something, he's a great draft guy for the most part but I really don't think he knows how to handle the cap very well AT ALL, which is very apparent as of late.

fourth&forever
12-26-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think there is much comparison now to be honest. Especially after Smith's injury and how he did little to nothing with the eagles this year. Cruz's route running will only get better, he's faster, shiftier, and is a big play waiting to happen anytime Eli throws it his way. Smith can be a journeyman the rest of his career, let's get Cruz signed up to be a Giant for life! ....
Two different players, I agree. Smith is a possession receiver (albeit a good one). But Victor Cruz is much much more than just a possession guy.