PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith traded..

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 09:24 PM
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."
Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick -- probably a fourth-rounder. Feb 24 - 5:54 PM
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
(https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/305812341730189312)

slipknottin
02-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I guess a 4th isnt horrible, but is Smith really and upgrade from Cassel?

Moke
02-24-2013, 10:41 PM
The Chiefs are ******ed. They need to look for fresh air. Alex Smith isn't going to help them that much. This is just going to hurt the Chiefs more for more years.

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 10:43 PM
get Alex Smith and draft Joeckel.. oh yea and franchise Bowe

slipknottin
02-24-2013, 11:01 PM
get Alex Smith and draft Joeckel.. oh yea and franchise Bowe

Then they are the exact same team they were last year...

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Then they are the exact same team they were last year...

hows that..? by adding Smith and Joeckel

slipknottin
02-24-2013, 11:12 PM
hows that..? by adding Smith and Joeckel

Brandon Albert is one of the best LTs in the league...

And Cassel has had better seasons than Smith has ever had. 2010 for instance, Cassel had 3110 yards 27 TDs and 7 ints. Closest to that Smith has ever been was 2011 when he had 3,140 yards, 17 TDs and 5 Ints.

They are really not much different as QBs.

miked1958
02-24-2013, 11:17 PM
I had heard the Browns were also a possibility in those Trade Rumors

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Brandon Albert is one of the best LTs in the league...

And Cassel has had better seasons than Smith has ever had. 2010 for instance, Cassel had 3110 yards 27 TDs and 7 ints. Closest to that Smith has ever been was 2011 when he had 3,140 yards, 17 TDs and 5 Ints.

They are really not much different as QBs.

yea.. I guess

Flip Empty
02-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Talk about a boring trade...

Rusty192
02-25-2013, 01:54 PM
If anyone can help Smith have success at QB in KC, it'll be Andy Reid. Better than him going to the Jets or Browns for instance. Hope it works out for Alex Smith, he really got shafted by San Fransisco.

Flip Empty
02-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Turns out he hasn't even been traded.

Useless analysts and their equally useless "sources"...

BigBlueAllDay
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
The 49ers are getting rid of Alex Smith either way. This was written in stone back in December. The 49ers were absolutely not going to keep him at $9+ mil per year as a backup to Kaepernick, whose on a rookie-capped contract. Anyone whose thinks they were is going to be wrong. The 49ers also stand to pretty much recoup almost all of Alex Smith's cap hit for 2013 by getting rid of him with only $1 million guaranteed so far for 2013 and roughly $8-9 million in imminent team cap savings. Trading is also a better option than just plain releasing a player since the team gets something in return with a trade. Then,...Enter a low-tier team that's desperate for a starting QB. I would not be surprised if it was the Chiefs/Jags and I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers got a 1st or 2nd for Smith or some decent player from one of those teams. So instead of the 49ers basically releasing Alex Smith before his 2013 cap hit becomes guaranteed by 4/1/13 according to his contract, the 49ers are getting some or alot of value in return. You ask why a low tier team would be suckered into a lopsided trade like the Bengals-Raiders Carson Palmer trade? Simple, cause they are poorly managed to begin with and a better managed team is simply capitalizing on the situation.

BigBlueAllDay
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
49ers reportedly agreed to trade Alex Smith to the Kansas City Chiefs for the Chiefs' 2013 second round pick (No. 34) and a conditional mid-round pick in 2014. Hook line and sinker. 49ers capitalized on the basement Chiefs instead of economically being forced to release Alex Smith for nothing.You're welcome.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-022713

This is going out on a limb here, but a big if they are desperate for Victor Cruz, The recouped $8-9 million cap space from trading away Alex Smith and forking over their first round (No. 31 pick) for the tender is now a possibility. The team salary cap would be the only hurdle left.

titwio
02-27-2013, 06:52 PM
They essentially get a late 1st round pick and conditional 2nd or 3rd next year. The 49ers WON! Smith is not going to save KC's franchise. They were better off drafting Geno IMO and starting fresh.

The way I see it....this might be Karma for Andy Reid getting that ridiculous deal for Kevin Kolb. Now it's Andy's turn to be on the flip side.

Rusty192
02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
They essentially get a late 1st round pick and conditional 2nd or 3rd next year. The 49ers WON! Smith is not going to save KC's franchise. They were better off drafting Geno IMO and starting fresh.

The way I see it....this might be Karma for Andy Reid getting that ridiculous deal for Kevin Kolb. Now it's Andy's turn to be on the flip side.At least Alex has shown something though. I really don't see it with Geno. Just another Cam Newton imo.

Flip Empty
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Just another Cam Newton imo.
What's wrong with Cam? He took some positive steps last season.

Rusty192
02-28-2013, 05:02 PM
What's wrong with Cam? He took some positive steps last season.meh.. until he does something significant he's all hype to me. RG and Russell Wilson, 'running QB's' did a lot more in just one year being in the league.

titwio
02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
At least Alex has shown something though. I really don't see it with Geno. Just another Cam Newton imo.

If KC thought Geno was another Cam Newton I'd guarantee they wouldn't have traded for Smith. The Chiefs would already be asking what size jersey Geno Smith wears and what number he'd like.

Rusty192
02-28-2013, 06:09 PM
If KC thought Geno was another Cam Newton I'd guarantee they wouldn't have traded for Smith. The Chiefs would already be asking what size jersey Geno Smith wears and what number he'd like.Andy knows what he's doing. He obviously sees something in Smith that he knows he can win with. AS might not have the raw talent as some of these new QB's, but the dude wins you games, is efficient, and hardly screws up.

blueribbon
02-28-2013, 10:50 PM
It makes sense for both teams. The Chiefs get a decent QB and allow them to draft a better QB for the furture without rushing him to start. And the 49ers free up almost 10 mil in cap space for a backup QB.

Rat_bastich
03-02-2013, 06:02 AM
The 49ers are getting rid of Alex Smith either way. This was written in stone back in December. The 49ers were absolutely not going to keep him at $9+ mil per year as a backup to Kaepernick, whose on a rookie-capped contract. Anyone whose thinks they were is going to be wrong. The 49ers also stand to pretty much recoup almost all of Alex Smith's cap hit for 2013 by getting rid of him with only $1 million guaranteed so far for 2013 and roughly $8-9 million in imminent team cap savings. Trading is also a better option than just plain releasing a player since the team gets something in return with a trade. Then,...Enter a low-tier team that's desperate for a starting QB. I would not be surprised if it was the Chiefs/Jags and I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers got a 1st or 2nd for Smith or some decent player from one of those teams. So instead of the 49ers basically releasing Alex Smith before his 2013 cap hit becomes guaranteed by 4/1/13 according to his contract, the 49ers are getting some or alot of value in return. You ask why a low tier team would be suckered into a lopsided trade like the Bengals-Raiders Carson Palmer trade? Simple, cause they are poorly managed to begin with and a better managed team is simply capitalizing on the situation.

I think it was written in stone even further back when they went in pursuit of Peyton Manning and then because Smith got butt hurt after they failed to bring in Manning they began to placate him for a bit. What I think is funny is that I guess teams forgot the Alex Smith of just a few years back before Harbaugh. I think they have amnesia. I'm surprised Reid hasn't attempted a run at his one time McNabb heir apparent, Kolb.

ShakeandBake
03-03-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm surprised Andy went after Alex, seems like a stop gap fix and when you have guys like Matt Moore who are much cheaper out there, it doesn't make much sense.

BigBlueAllDay
03-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Low tier teams don't have to make sense. That's why they can't find success for many years after many top draft picks, if they haven't traded those away as well. Why would anyone suddenly be putting these teams on imaginary pedestals of being well managed franchises?
No. 34 pick and a future conditional mid-pick for QB Alex Smith....because he's the QB that can get the Chiefs to the Superbowl (lol). Ehh if it doesn't pan out, at least it's not as bad as the divisional Raiders trading potentially two first rounders for Carson Palmer, just hoping he'll take the Raiders into the playoffs (lol). So the Raiders fans wait...and they'll be waiting for a while, looking up at Peyton and the Broncos.

ShakeandBake
03-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Low tier teams don't have to make sense. That's why they can't find success for many years after many top draft picks, if they haven't traded those away as well. Why would anyone suddenly be putting these teams on imaginary pedestals of being well managed franchises?
No. 34 pick and a future conditional mid-pick for QB Alex Smith....because he's the QB that can get the Chiefs to the Superbowl (lol). Ehh if it doesn't pan out, at least it's not as bad as the divisional Raiders trading potentially two first rounders for Carson Palmer, just hoping he'll take the Raiders into the playoffs (lol). So the Raiders fans wait...and they'll be waiting for a while, looking up at Peyton and the Broncos.

Right, and thats why they brought in Andy Reid who is supposed to know what he's doing

BigBlueAllDay
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Right, and thats why they brought in Andy Reid who is supposed to know what he's doing

Andy Reid is going to take the Chiefs to the Superbowl and actually win it, nevermind the fact that he never could do it with his "dream team" roster Eagles. lol

Flip Empty
03-03-2013, 11:56 PM
The Chiefs have plenty of talent on board, a good quarterback is all they really need to be a threat.

While Smith isn't that quarterback, he should be steady enough to enable the Chiefs to compete.

A second rounder was probably a bit too much to give up for him, though.