PDA

View Full Version : If we don't go for a LB in the first

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Or you know, we won't and then I'll be forced to put my head through my TV and jump out the window with it. This Te'o press conference is good, he's a good guy, I feel bad for him. These reporters seem to be more interesting this Catfish crap and it really pisses me off.

I guess it's either him or Olgetree or whatever. I'm feeling good about this draft..hopefully we can draft one of these LB's and build from there, making our defense feared once again.

Flip Empty
02-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Last time I checked it was the DEs that teams were fearing.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Last time I checked it was the DEs that teams were fearing. Well check again, it's 2013

slipknottin
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
It wont be Ogletree.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
It wont be Ogletree. How do you know?

Carter.525
02-23-2013, 06:56 PM
How do you know?

JR don't play that..

Flip Empty
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Well check again, it's 2013
And the Giants still run the 4-3. DE is the focus, not LB.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
And the Giants still run the 4-3. DE is the focus, not LB. It doesn't matter, LB is our weakest position right now

nycsportzfan
02-23-2013, 07:52 PM
And the Giants still run the 4-3. DE is the focus, not LB. Ya, and we got one of teh best DE's in the league in JPP, and next to nothing at LB, albeit, J-Will has some upside.. Theres a reason we barley make the postseason the yrs we do, and don't all together other yrs, even though we have stud DE's over the yrs, and thats because we don't have good enough players in the LB core.. The yr we won it all in 07, we had Kawika Mitchell, who was sensational, and this is by far the worst are LB core has been , even with it seemingly feeling like 4ever since we've had a good LB core.. That says something.. At least other yrs, we had Antonio Pierce, or we had Kawika Mitchell, plus Kiwi was a impact player when he first started out at LB..etc Right now Blackburns is a FA, and hes not that good, and then we got Kiwi, whos been kinda invisible over past couple seasons, and Paysinger and Herzlich have done nothing to show big faith in them going forward, and Rivers is a re-tread who cant stay healthy, and also a FA..etc Outside of J-Will, theres nothing really happening at LB to make any feelings of comfort, and even J-Will hasen't shown consistency or the abiilty to stay healthy over his first 2seasons.. LB is a real need and trust me, once we get a better LB core , you'll notice a big diffrence and maybe we can start having a complete team , and make the posteason without a 9-7 record and barley sneaking in or missing it all together...

Flip Empty
02-23-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not against an upgrade, I'm just not so sure that the team would be willing to expend a high pick for a player at that position.
LB, like OL, just doesn't appear to be that high of a priority for this administration. Not in regards to the first round, at least.

Who knows, though. I didn't expect them to take David Wilson last season so perhaps they'll change tack again this year.

Giantslb66
02-23-2013, 08:36 PM
It's about time Reese DID address the putrid LB situation we have here. People saying that LB is not that important, need to wake up!

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-23-2013, 09:26 PM
It's about time Reese DID address the putrid LB situation we have here. People saying that LB is not that important, need to wake up! Exactly..we haven't had a good LB since Armstead.

slipknottin
02-23-2013, 09:48 PM
How do you know?

Because the giants have never drafted a player with character red flags in the first round.

DownWitJPP
02-23-2013, 11:10 PM
I bet we go OL or corner to replace Webby next year. maybe DT or LB in the second

Carter.525
02-23-2013, 11:16 PM
I bet we go OL or corner to replace Webby next year. maybe DT or LB in the second

agreed.. this is my thinking also.

Toadofsteel
02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Or you know, we won't and then I'll be forced to put my head through my TV and jump out the window with it.

I guess it's either Johnson or Fluker or whatever. I'm feeling good about this draft..hopefully we can draft one of these OL and build from there, making our offense actually function once again.

JesseJames
02-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Ya, and we got one of teh best DE's in the league in JPP, and next to nothing at LB, albeit, J-Will has some upside.. Theres a reason we barley make the postseason the yrs we do, and don't all together other yrs, even though we have stud DE's over the yrs, and thats because we don't have good enough players in the LB core.. The yr we won it all in 07, we had Kawika Mitchell, who was sensational, and this is by far the worst are LB core has been , even with it seemingly feeling like 4ever since we've had a good LB core.. That says something.. At least other yrs, we had Antonio Pierce, or we had Kawika Mitchell, plus Kiwi was a impact player when he first started out at LB..etc Right now Blackburns is a FA, and hes not that good, and then we got Kiwi, whos been kinda invisible over past couple seasons, and Paysinger and Herzlich have done nothing to show big faith in them going forward, and Rivers is a re-tread who cant stay healthy, and also a FA..etc Outside of J-Will, theres nothing really happening at LB to make any feelings of comfort, and even J-Will hasen't shown consistency or the abiilty to stay healthy over his first 2seasons.. LB is a real need and trust me, once we get a better LB core , you'll notice a big diffrence and maybe we can start having a complete team , and make the posteason without a 9-7 record and barley sneaking in or missing it all together...

very well said.

Redeyejedi
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
It's about time Reese DID address the putrid LB situation we have here. People saying that LB is not that important, need to wake up!

Wake up to what there is a positional hierarchy. Id rather have both DE spots, 3 tech, both CB's and a FS before Id take a LB

hungrrrry
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
I would not bet we get a LB at all in the 1st three rounds just because the team brass never sees it as an position of need, which I find to be lunacy. Our LB's have sucked for over a decade (very much over). I would love some emphasis on this position...I would not be unhappy with LB at the first two rounds.

We can generate TE's and do a decent job at DE unless you lose heart like Tuck did.

We struggle with LB's and CB's however, LB is the weakest link on this team. We don't have any that are top 20, not sure we even have a top 32 LB when you take talent, ability, football smarts, heart and health all into account.

Our Oline is struggling and we may need to go that route...on a similar note, DT is also a position of concern. Chance Warmack at Guard maybe in the 1st. Shariff Floyd at DT (even if we need to trade up to get him) but I would be happy with Manti and hope a tope tier DT falls to us in the 2nd.

BigJ
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Because the giants have never drafted a player with character red flags in the first round. The Giants would rather have terrible players on the field then take a risk on a young talented player that made a mistake or 2

G-Men Surg.
02-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Who will make your day at OL in the first .

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Who will make your day at OL in the first .

I think it will be Cooper or Fluker.. if JR goes that route

G-Men Surg.
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
I think it will be Cooper or Fluker.. if JR goes that route
If Boothe doesn't gets resigned then I could justify draftig Cooper even if it is that high. Fluker ? I have my doubts.

BigJ
02-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Also everyone saying that we need d line and not line backers can't tell me that if we had the same dline last year and better line backers we wouldnt be ranked way better in run defense

WiIdcat
02-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Would the Giants pass on Jarvis Jones if he's there at 19? I don't see how they could, he's a monster.

Carter.525
02-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Would the Giants pass on Jarvis Jones if he's there at 19? I don't see how they could, he's a monster.

would he be a strong side LB in the 4-3..?

slipknottin
02-24-2013, 09:12 PM

I would guess he is not even on their draft board.

G-Men Surg.
02-25-2013, 01:03 AM
I would guess he is not even on their draft board.
That's the most probable scenario but the question here would be if every FO turn their back away scared because of his spinal cord condition will Reese do the same or will he pull the trigger drafting him.

BlessedinBlue22
02-25-2013, 01:11 AM

No way Jarvis Jones falls to 19...maybe Mingo. I see Jones top 9..Won't last past the Jets, they like pass rushers too, like they went to Coples last draft.

gabriel_1
02-25-2013, 06:21 AM
1. Jarvis Jones would never fall to #19, because the Steelers would never pass on him. Their Lb court is week, they are extremely interested in getting their pass rushing court rejuvenated.
2. Jonathan Cooper is a Top-15 pick, if he falls to the Giants, it would make sense.
3. I don't see the Giants getting Ogletree, we don't usually take chance on players like that unless we can't just pass on the value.
4. DE is a need, but LB is more of a need.

slipknottin
02-25-2013, 07:32 AM
People saying it could never happen... It's entirely possible almost every team has removed him from their draft board

Redeyejedi
02-25-2013, 07:40 AM
People saying it could never happen... It's entirely possible almost every team has removed him from their draft boardRemoved to what extent. Hard to believe he wouldnt get picked by the 3rd round even with a bad medical

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
or pick up a LB that's great and somehow fell lower to the 2nd round, who do you see us picking up in the free agency? I'm sorry but Rivers isn't the answer and Blackburn is old.

It's amazing how we got rid of all these people, yet have so many more issues to address. For years I've wanted us to pick up a linebacker in the draft. I understand how we went for pass rushers and had success but keep in mind this was when we had Strahan on our team. We then had JPP who was a rookie that no one really seen as a threat, but they grew to respect him this past season.

We've never had a sure LB since Armstead, even Pierce was above average and couldn't play sideline to sideline. Rememeber when we got Michael Barrow, then Nick Garnett (I think that was his name from the Lions)? Nick didn't even play a snap, he was always injured. Sooner or later, you have to address the issue and I really hope us addressing it isn't by means of the Free Agency, because we don't even have enough money to pay the studs on our team, and the only players being released (that are good) are being released because they want more money.

B-Red22
02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
How many Linebacker threads u gonna make? We got the point the first time

TCHOF
02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
What LB do you want to sign or draft?

nhpgiantsfan
02-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Don't expect much from the outside via free agency.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
How many Linebacker threads u gonna make? We got the point the first time
Don't like my threads? Don't post in them.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 03:39 PM
What LB do you want to sign or draft?

Ogletree but it seems he won't be drafted because of his DUI. I wouldn't mind us getting Te'o. This draft looks good for linebackers for sure.

B-Red22
02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Don't like my threads? Don't post in them.

I already read your other thread saying the same exact thing, you want to say the same crap keep posting in the same thread

TCHOF
02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Ogletree but it seems he won't be drafted because of his DUI. I wouldn't mind us getting Te'o. This draft looks good for linebackers for sure.

I'd rather draft DT/DE/OL/CB in the first, and try to nab Brown or Greene in the second. This is mainly because I am not crazy about the two first round caliber LB's who will be there for us at 19 (Teo and Ogletree).

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I already read your other thread saying the same exact thing, you want to say the same crap keep posting in the same thread You're by far one of the worst posters on this forum. You contribute nothing to these forums (unless you consider whining about other people's opinions as constructive) and cause threads to go off topic.

If you don't like this thread, don't post in it. You're not going to derail this thread as you do others.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 04:03 PM
I'd rather draft DT/DE/OL/CB in the first, and try to nab Brown or Greene in the second. This is mainly because I am not crazy about the two first round caliber LB's who will be there for us at 19 (Teo and Ogletree).

I agree somewhat and I used to bash the Te'o being a possible draft pick of ours but now that I think about it, he'lll be playing with a mentality that "I gotta prove myself". He's going to have a fire under his feet, as the people are STILL bringing up the Catfish story. I'd rather him than Olgetree because out of the two things, least Te'o seems to have good character and could possibly be a great captain in that huddle. Bottom line is, we do need a good LB. We never address this issue and if we have a linebacker who is in there on every play, it'll help our d-line dramatically.

I'm not too sure about CB, as it would appear all the good CB's will be picked in the first/2nd round. If we don't get a LB I can see us going for an o-lineman. But still, we really do need a linebacker, as it would appear that we only have two proven line backers, one is old and slow with Blackburn (he hasn't even been resigned and seems to think he's good enough to go to another team) and Kiwi (who might be switched back to DE because of the lose of Osi).

B-Red22
02-25-2013, 04:23 PM
You're by far one of the worst posters on this forum. You contribute nothing to these forums (unless you consider whining about other people's opinions as constructive) and cause threads to go off topic.

If you don't like this thread, don't post in it. You're not going to derail this thread as you do others.

I derailed your thread! They have been merged MAUHAHAHA

B-Red22
02-25-2013, 04:32 PM
In all seriousness I would be pumped with the Ogletree pick, I think character issues can be dealt with if the player goes into the right locker room with the right coach

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I derailed your thread! They have been merged MAUHAHAHA Yes I asked a mod to merge it because I didn't see my original thread and thought it got deleted..ha ha?

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 04:41 PM
In all seriousness I would be pumped with the Ogletree pick, I think character issues can be dealt with if the player goes into the right locker room with the right coach I don't even know if he'll be there for us and didn't he only play one season as MLB? I like the pick but I have my doubts. I'm more sure of Te'o but then again, I like Ogletree as well. Only problem I have with Ogletree is his hands..he seems to get stiffed up when he tries to get through the line.

B-Red22
02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I don't even know if he'll be there for us and didn't he only play one season as MLB? I like the pick but I have my doubts. I'm more sure of Te'o but then again, I like Ogletree as well. Only problem I have with Ogletree is his hands..he seems to get stiffed up when he tries to get through the line.

Ya thats the biggest knock on him is he cant shed blocks, which from everything I have seen is true, but technique can be taught freak athletic ability cant.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
02-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Ya thats the biggest knock on him is he cant shed blocks, which from everything I have seen is true, but technique can be taught freak athletic ability cant. Can he be a leader as well? Te'o seems to be that leader we need. Look at how he's handled this Catfish crap..

Imgrate
02-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Ill be disgusted if we take a non pass rushing lb in the first rd

Bones911
02-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Ill be disgusted if we take a non pass rushing lb in the first rd

Olgetree is a headcase and per rotoworld has been UNIMPRESSIVE in interviews. One NFL team's player personnel director characterized Georgia ILB Alec Ogletree as an "immature idiot."

I WOULD STAY AWAY!

giantsfan420
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
id rather teo in the 2nd which doesnt seem as impossible anymore, or minter...

Captain Chaos
02-25-2013, 08:28 PM
It will be interesting to see what falls our way, look what happened with Prince....

ELI_HOF_NYG
02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
just because the giants don't usually select guys with character issues doesn't mean things can't change depending on the need and what the player brings to the table.

slipknottin
02-25-2013, 09:33 PM
just because the giants don't usually select guys with character issues doesn't mean things can't change depending on the need and what the player brings to the table.

It's not they don't "usually" do it... They have NEVER done it

G-Men Surg.
02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
It's not they don't "usually" do it... They have NEVER done it
Well at least not in early rounds or 1st round for that matter. That been said Jayron Housley had big red flags coming out of college and Reese was sold on his " athletic arrogance " drafting him on the 3rd.

slipknottin
02-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Well at least not in early rounds or 1st round for that matter. That been said Jayron Housley had big red flags coming out of college and Reese was sold on his " athletic arrogance " drafting him on the 3rd.

Yea. 3rd round seems to be when they start being ok with significant character issues. Manningham was another with some red flags