PDA

View Full Version : For those who say Corery Webster is good not great, take a gander at his stats this season

NYG4lifeNYK
12-26-2011, 03:52 PM
These stats are for ALL DB's not just amongst CB's:

INT's - 6 (Tied for for 4th) (Tied for 2nd amongst CB's)
PD's - 21 (8th)

C-Web is far & away our second best defensive player on this team, first being JPP of course.

In a season where the defense has been an absolute train wreck... Webster is the one constant.

Oh & let me also add this guy isn't one bit flashy. Consumate professional goes about his business does his job & everything he's asked. Never once talks about himself, never once hear his name in the media...... humble beast who we are VERY lucky to have & I personally am very proud to have him as a member of the New York Giants.

greenca190
12-26-2011, 03:56 PM
He could be demanding a lot more money than he's making now too.

jjj45
12-26-2011, 04:15 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

C-Web is far & away our second best defensive player on this team, first being JPP of course.

In a season where the defense has been an absolute train wreck... Webster is the one constant.

Oh & let me also add this guy isn't one bit flashy. Consumate professional goes about his business does his job & everything he's asked. Never once talks about himself, never once hear his name in the media...... humble beast who we are VERY lucky to have & I personally am very proud to have him as a member of the New York Giants.

Agree and I like Corey a lot. Glad we have a player of his caliber. but it still bothers me that apparently he quit during the Saints game. smh

shotcalla39
12-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Hes been a top 10 guy since 2007 run.... But don't get it twisted he's not a hall of gamer ... But yea he's awesome ... It's too bad we didn't have Tt24 head in the same level as Webster and would make a great duo

NYG4lifeNYK
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Hes been a top 10 guy since 2007 run.... But don't get it twisted he's not a hall of gamer ... But yea he's awesome ... It's too bad we didn't have Tt24 head in the same level as Webster and would make a great duo

We really really miss T2 this year... Rolle was finally going to play his natural position but that all went to **** once he went down for the season.

Teams rarely threw at C-Web last year... which is why T2 had such a high target %... teams always throw at Ross this year

Drez
12-26-2011, 06:14 PM

We really really miss T2 this year... Rolle was finally going to play his natural position but that all went to **** once he went down for the season.

Teams rarely threw at C-Web last year... which is why T2 had such a high target %... teams always throw at Ross this year

</P>

That was a good part of the reason. Another part was TT was allowing like 60% completions against him. I was really hoping to see him make the jump this year, though.</P>

Joe Morrison
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Webster seems to be better in man to man, not very good in the zone, gives up a lot of 10 to 15 yard passes, seems to be in the right place at the right time like the int against theJets, horrible pass, guy was wide open and Webby got a gift.</P>

He's a good corner, not going for the great corner, watch the 1st offensive play from Dallas this weekend, it will be play action, roll to the right, 15 yard pass right in front of the Web, that is why he is good, he will make the tackle, not great, he wouldn't let that happen week after week.</P>

NYG4lifeNYK
12-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Webster seems to be better in man to man, not very good in the zone, gives up a lot of 10 to 15 yard passes, seems to be in the right place at the right time like the int against theJets, horrible pass, guy was wide open and Webby got a gift.</p>

He's a good corner, not going for the great corner, watch the 1st offensive play from Dallas this weekend, it will be play action, roll to the right, 15 yard pass right in front of the Web, that is why he is good, he will make the tackle, not great, he wouldn't let that happen week after week.</p>

That might of been a bad throw by Sanchez but Webster caught the ball about 6 inches off the ground. It was a hell of a play. C-Web is also the only player on our defense with good hands... maybe Kenny Phillips but everyone else drops every ball thrown there way.

Fewell loves to play off the receiver that's not Websters fault though.

Rich4114
12-27-2011, 12:45 AM
Webster is good in man on man, but for a team leader he kind of sucks at staying disciplined and remembering where he's supposed to be in our dumb soft zone coverages.

But hey, he has made plays this year and we don't win the Buffalo game without him.

RagTime Blue
12-27-2011, 01:01 AM
I've never been a huge fan of DB stats. Webby's having a solid year again, though.

Zaggs
12-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Relative to how he started with the Giants CWeb is a friggin all time all pro.

miked1958
12-27-2011, 01:18 AM
He could be demanding a lot more money than he's making now too.
True that

Drez
12-27-2011, 01:23 AM
He could be demanding a lot more money than he's making now too. True that</P>

I don't know about that.</P>

I can't remember if/how he restructured his contract earlier this year, but he was due a base salary of $8m.</P>

T-Murda84
12-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Terrell Thomas is better than Webster. Thomas is a leader, he can tackle, and he can play man or zone. Webster does dumb stuff from time to time, but I think thats more on our safeties not being vocal enough during coverage audibles.

Drez
12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Terrell Thomas is better than Webster. Thomas is a leader, he can tackle, and he can play man or zone. Webster does dumb stuff from time to time, but I think thats more on our safeties not being vocal enough during coverage audibles.</P>

TT is not better than Webster. TT was the second most targeted CB in the NFL last season, and gave up more completions than Webster was even targeted (I believe it was in the 80-90 range). Though, I can't remember the order, he gave up the most and second most yards and TDs for a corner last season. Sure, he ledthe team in interceptions with 5, but as I said, he was the second most targeted CB (I believe he was targeted 140-150 times last season). Webster had one fewer pick on about 40% fewer targets.TT measured in the bottom 20 in nearly every CB metric out there, Webster measured in the top 20.</P>

burier
12-27-2011, 10:50 AM

PD's - 21 (8th)

He's tied for 4th in Ints but did the other guys have the balls thrown directly to them?

Also passes defensed doesn't impress me when we've seen Moore, Kolb, Jackson (And his backup) Bradford, Young, Sanchez and Grossman twice.

I didn't see him defensing too many passes against Rogers, Brees or even Romo.

I'm not trying to bash but there's no doubt our Defense has sucked this year and that falls on everyone not named JPP

Kase-1
12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm not trying to bash

I dont know who you're trying to fool, every single one of your posts is straight up bashing our team. You're a hater plain and simple

How have the iggles and cow's message boards treatin ya??

JJC7301
12-27-2011, 12:41 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

C-Web is far &amp; away our second best defensive player on this team, first being JPP of course.

Oh &amp; let me also add this guy isn't one bit flashy. Consumate professional goes about his business does his job &amp; everything he's asked. Never once talks about himself, never once hear his name in the media...... humble beast who we are VERY lucky to have &amp; I personally am very proud to have him as a member of the New York Giants.

</P>

+1. CW is a VERY good CB. I always feel safe with him, and he's never injured (knock on wood).</P>

NYG4lifeNYK
12-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Terrell Thomas is better than Webster. Thomas is a leader, he can tackle, and he can play man or zone. Webster does dumb stuff from time to time, but I think thats more on our safeties not being vocal enough during coverage audibles.

Lol.. T2 isn't even in the same league as Webster &amp; I love me some T2...

There's a reason T2 if I'm not mistaken was the single most targeted CB last season.. something like 121-130ish targets or something around that range.

QB's do not have success throwing at Webster. He shuts down his man as good as anyone not named Revis.

The knock on Webster has been he doesn't get the flashy INT numbers... well guess what he added to his resume this season? Time to start talking about him amongst the best. Week in week out he shuts down the #1 receivers without nary a peep. Humble as they come.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Terrell Thomas is better than Webster. Thomas is a leader, he can tackle, and he can play man or zone. Webster does dumb stuff from time to time, but I think thats more on our safeties not being vocal enough during coverage audibles.</p>

TT is not better than Webster. TT was the second most targeted CB in the NFL last season, and gave up more completions than Webster was even targeted (I believe it was in the 80-90 range). Though, I can't remember the order, he gave up the most and second most yards and TDs for a corner last season. Sure, he ledthe team in interceptions with 5, but as I said, he was the second most targeted CB (I believe he was targeted 140-150 times last season). Webster had one fewer pick on about 40% fewer targets.TT measured in the bottom 20 in nearly every CB metric out there, Webster measured in the top 20.</p>

Nice post, not sure who has the correct stats you or me but good to see we're both on the same page [Y]

burier
12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm not trying to bash

I dont know who you're trying to fool, every single one of your posts is straight up bashing our team.* You're a hater plain and simple

Bashing our team??

Ok you clearly know not of which you speak.

Kase-1
12-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Whoops double post

Kase-1
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm not trying to bash

I dont know who you're trying to fool, every single one of your posts is straight up bashing our team.* You're a hater plain and simple

Bashing our team??

Ok you clearly know not of which you speak.Please direct me to a post of yours that isn't pessemistic and horribly down-trodden. Every post iv seen you make is just going against our team, and don't say its constructive criticism cause there's nothng constructive to take away from the posts... it just seems like unbridled hate

burier
12-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm not trying to bash

Bashing our team??

Ok you clearly know not of which you speak.Please direct me to a post of yours that isn't pessemistic and horribly down-trodden. Every post iv seen you make is just going against our team, and don't say its constructive criticism cause there's nothng constructive to take away from the posts... it just seems like unbridled hate

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2372394.aspx

I just call it like I see it.

Now pipe down when talkin to grown folks

gmen46
12-27-2011, 03:47 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

He's tied for 4th in Ints but did the other guys have the balls thrown directly to them?

Also passes defensed doesn't impress me when we've seen Moore, Kolb, Jackson (And his backup) Bradford, Young, Sanchez and Grossman twice.

I'm not trying to bash but there's no doubt our Defense has sucked this year and that falls on everyone not named JPP

Not many will quarrel with your last sentence. But your specific critique of Webster is a bit silly.

Your implication is that all other DBs "make" interceptions by interfering with perfect passes, while Webster has been just "lucky" with bad passes thrown right to him.

Ridiculous.

Most interceptions are a result of either bad QB decisions, mis communication (receiver turning one way, QB assuming another way), tipped balls with heads up play by a defender in the vicinity, etc.

Very few, if any, interceptions are a result of a well thrown, well placed, pass that is picked off by a superior DB play.

Otherwise, why do most QBs--and Eli in particular--get criticized for their interceptions?

Webster's career-high 6 interceptions are no more a result of "dumb luck", as you imply, than are the interceptions of Samuel, Revis, Reed, or any other DB you want to throw in the mix.

A few are indeed more productive in interceptions than others, because they are better at reading QBs and are more adept at consistently putting themselves in position on certain plays to increase chances of making picks by TAKING ADVANTAGE OF MISTAKES--like the above for example--but to diminish Webster's accomplishment by suggesting his picks were simply a matter of passes thrown right to him, as opposed to most other interceptions is silly and wrong.

netplus
12-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Nice post, not sure who has the correct stats you or me but good to see we're both on the same page [Y]

Last year Percent passes completed against:
Webster 54.3%
Thomas 61.3%

This year Percent passes completed against:
Webster 55.1%
Ross 66.7%

Revis has only 41.3% completed against this year

Last year thrown at
Thomas 124 (most in NFL)
Webster 81

Source: Pro Football Focus

burier
12-27-2011, 04:38 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

Not many will quarrel with your last sentence. But your specific critique of Webster is a bit silly.

Your implication is that all other DBs "make" interceptions by interfering with perfect passes, while Webster has been just "lucky" with bad passes thrown right to him.

Ridiculous.

Most interceptions are a result of either bad QB decisions, mis communication (receiver turning one way, QB assuming another way), tipped balls with heads up play by a defender in the vicinity, etc.

Very few, if any, interceptions are a result of a well thrown, well placed, pass that is picked off by a superior DB play.

Otherwise, why do most QBs--and Eli in particular--get criticized for their interceptions?

Webster's career-high 6 interceptions are no more a result of "dumb luck", as you imply, than are the interceptions of Samuel, Revis, Reed, or any other DB you want to throw in the mix.

A few are indeed more productive in interceptions than others, because they are better at reading QBs and are more adept at consistently putting themselves in position on certain plays to increase chances of making picks by TAKING ADVANTAGE OF MISTAKES--like the above for example--but to diminish Webster's accomplishment by suggesting his picks were simply a matter of passes thrown right to him, as opposed to most other interceptions is silly and wrong.

I'm only talking about Webster. I'm not talking about other DBs. To your point I'm sure Revis has a few gift wrapped INTS in his catalogue and I'd call those gift wrapped INTS too. There's a bunch of other things he does to which speak to his prowess. The OP is trying to to use two stats to speak to Websters and that's the dispute.

As far as webster the majority of his INTs were do to poorly thrown balls. 2 of them were thrown by Fitz where Webster was actually beaten and the ball was underthrown.

So if I'm apraising that play I'm gonna say..."Congrats Corey you can catch a ball that's thrown right to you!" But there's no way to praise his cover skill because he was beat.

I'd have to see another DBs INT reel to accesss those individual situations. But in the case of ED Reed for instance. You could look at the tape and say the QB made a bad decision but the reason he made the decision was because he was Baited by Reed. Thats not exactly the same as someone beating you down the sideline and the QB throwing it to you anyway.

I think all DBs end up with some lucky INTS but Webster has been luckier than I've ever seen him and we need to differenciate between covering a guy really well and the QB throwing it in your direction when he shouldn't have resulting in a pick

Vs

Not covering a guy very well creating a situation where the QB SHOULD actually throw the ball in your direction but does so so poorly the result is a pick.

Webster has been scenario B more often than scenario A

gmen46
12-27-2011, 05:43 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

Ridiculous.

I'm only talking about Webster. I'm not talking about other DBs. To your point I'm sure Revis has a few gift wrapped INTS in his catalogue and I'd call those gift wrapped INTS too. There's a bunch of other things he does to which speak to his prowess. The OP is trying to to use two stats to speak to Websters and that's the dispute.

As far as webster the majority of his INTs were do to poorly thrown balls. 2 of them were thrown by Fitz where Webster was actually beaten and the ball was underthrown.

So if I'm apraising that play I'm gonna say..."Congrats Corey you can catch a ball that's thrown right to you!" But there's no way to praise his cover skill because he was beat.

I'd have to see another DBs INT reel to accesss those individual situations. But in the case of ED Reed for instance. You could look at the tape and say the QB made a bad decision but the reason he made the decision was because he was Baited by Reed. Thats not exactly the same as someone beating you down the sideline and the QB throwing it to you anyway.

I think all DBs end up with some lucky INTS but Webster has been luckier than I've ever seen him and we need to differenciate between covering a guy really well and the QB throwing it in your direction when he shouldn't have resulting in a pick

Vs

Not covering a guy very well creating a situation where the QB SHOULD actually throw the ball in your direction but does so so poorly the result is a pick.

Your "scenario A and B" are false dichotomies. The fact is that most interceptions are a result of a variety of reasons, as I said, not just your 2 arbitrary scenarios.

Reed is obviously an exception in his ability, which is why he will be unquestionably selected to the HOF. I reluctantly mentioned him for that reason, but his was a readily conjured up real life name.

To compare Webster to Reed is not a really good example for either one of us.

The fact is that to diminish Webster for the "quality" of his interceptions is foolish, not to mention irrelevant. An interception is an interception. You might as well qualify TDs in the same manner.

Yet I don't see you, or anyone else, qualifying a Brady TD as not being counted when he gets one because a DB falls down at the goal line--as happened with the aforesaid Webster a few years ago. It counts as a TD, period. It doesn't get discounted because it wasn't "fairly challenged".

burier
12-27-2011, 10:21 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

Ridiculous.

Vs

Your "scenario A and B" are false dichotomies. The fact is that most interceptions are a result of a variety of reasons, as I said, not just your 2 arbitrary scenarios.

Reed is obviously an exception in his ability, which is why he will be unquestionably selected to the HOF. I reluctantly mentioned him for that reason, but his was a readily conjured up real life name.

The fact is that to diminish Webster for the "quality" of his interceptions is foolish, not to mention irrelevant. An interception is an interception. You might as well qualify TDs in the same manner.

Yet I don't see you, or anyone else, qualifying a Brady TD as not being counted when he gets one because a DB falls down at the goal line--as happened with the aforesaid Webster a few years ago. It counts as a TD, period. It doesn't get discounted because it wasn't "fairly challenged".

You misread me and again I'd remind you that I am referring to Webster. If Somone said that Brady is Great because he threw X number of TD passes I'd call the circumstances of those TDs into question. Please don't demerrit my point because my point doesn't speak to each individual NFL player or scenario.

my intention isn't to dimminish Websters INTS but the OP is using that stat as an indicator of Websters greatness. I digress an interception is an interception as posted in the box score but to say someone is great for getting beat is intellecually dishonest.

The jets game wasn't aired in my area so I didn't see Websters last interception but now I have and once again he gets an interception and I'm happy for him but the he appears to be the intended reciever. It was a poor throw and like you said; that's why QBs get blamed for the interceptions they throw.

I'm not comparing Ed Reed to Corey Webster there are no standars to suggest such a comparison but I submit to you: If we agree that Ed Reed is indeed great (Be reminded that I am not the one to introduce the term great to this conversation) he is great for reasons beyond his INT and pass defensed numbers. If someone would be willing to inject a higher level of specificty to the conversation and we were to speak on each of Ed Reed's interceptions or passes defensed then I'd be glad to admit that a portion of those interceptions are due to poorly thrown balls or poor decisions or any number of other factors that might be relevant, just as you suggest. That's not really the point

But the OP's point is that Webster is great (Or even good as the difference in this case is semantic) due to his his INT or passes defensed number. The OP brings those stats to the table and so justly I call situations under which those stats were produced into question.

Webster has a career high in INTs but I don't think Corey Webster himself would say his play has been at a career high.

I'd actually go so far to say that barring his rookie and sophmore campaigns his play has been at a career low.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Does anyone have Webster's numbers on the season?

I can't find anything on CB stats anymore

b_ELI_eve
12-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Am I the only one who sees Prince's slow start reminiscent of Webster's slow start? Not going to lie, I was on the Webster hate bandwagon for a while, but he has turned out to be one of the Giants most consistent corners in recent history

gmen46
12-28-2011, 08:17 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

Ridiculous.

Vs

You misread me and again I'd remind you that I am referring to Webster. If Somone said that Brady is Great because he threw X number of TD passes I'd call the circumstances of those TDs into question. Please don't demerrit my point because my point doesn't speak to each individual NFL player or scenario.

my intention isn't to dimminish Websters INTS but the OP is using that stat as an indicator of Websters greatness. I digress an interception is an interception as posted in the box score but to say someone is great for getting beat is intellecually dishonest.

The jets game wasn't aired in my area so I didn't see Websters last interception but now I have and once again he gets an interception and I'm happy for him but the he appears to be the intended reciever. It was a poor throw and like you said; that's why QBs get blamed for the interceptions they throw.

I'm not comparing Ed Reed to Corey Webster there are no standars to suggest such a comparison but I submit to you: If we agree that Ed Reed is indeed great (Be reminded that I am not the one to introduce the term great to this conversation) he is great for reasons beyond his INT and pass defensed numbers. If someone would be willing to inject a higher level of specificty to the conversation and we were to speak on each of Ed Reed's interceptions or passes defensed then I'd be glad to admit that a portion of those interceptions are due to poorly thrown balls or poor decisions or any number of other factors that might be relevant, just as you suggest. That's not really the point

But the OP's point is that Webster is great (Or even good as the difference in this case is semantic) due to his his INT or passes defensed number. The OP brings those stats to the table and so justly I call situations under which those stats were produced into question.

Webster has a career high in INTs but I don't think Corey Webster himself would say his play has been at a career high.

I'd actually go so far to say that barring his rookie and sophmore campaigns his play has been at a career low.

I would agree that this may not be Webster's "best" year when considering each criterion used to measure a CB's success.

Without looking up each season right now, I would venture to say that his best season was most likely 2008, when he was second in most areas--passes caught against him vs passes thrown, yards after catch against him, TDs (1, that year) against him--to Nnamdi.

It was posited by at least 1 pundit that the only reason he didn't make All Pro, or the Pro Bowl that year was because he had only 2 picks.

But I AM one of the Giants fans who believe Webster, for the most part, has been our best corner since the playoff run of 2007, and on the whole has been the most reliable CB of ours in his coverage.

His 6 picks --so far--this year have been icing on the cake of his play, not the indicator of his quality as CB.

He's been a very good CB for us, one of the Giants' best in many, many years, imo.

Certainly no HOF, not close, but he is one of the better CBs today, and certainly has played up to his 2nd round draft status.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-08-2012, 04:58 PM
HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW&gt;?!??!? [:D]

NYG4lifeNYK
01-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Show some love to my boy Webster! our my boy blue!

redjersies
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
When I was a student at Ole Miss, I saw Webster play enough to know that he was a hoss of a player. He had tremendous energy and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to break up or intercept balls. I saw him play in person against Eli, and the way he played impressed me--even though I was pulling for Ole Miss. He seemed to play with tremendous energy, and always was breaking up or intercepting passes. That's what I remember about him from college.

BigBlue1971
01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Webby has always been consistent!</P>

he shuts down big receivers and should be in that category of elite corners!</P>

burier
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM

PD's - 21 (8th)

Ridiculous.

Vs

I would agree that this may not be Webster's "best" year when considering each criterion used to measure a CB's success.

Without looking up each season right now, I would venture to say that his best season was most likely 2008, when he was second in most areas--passes caught against him vs passes thrown, yards after catch against him, TDs (1, that year) against him--to Nnamdi.

It was posited by at least 1 pundit that the only reason he didn't make All Pro, or the Pro Bowl that year was because he had only 2 picks.

But I AM one of the Giants fans who believe Webster, for the most part, has been our best corner since the playoff run of 2007, and on the whole has been the most reliable CB of ours in his coverage.

His 6 picks --so far--this year have been icing on the cake of his play, not the indicator of his quality as CB.

He's been a very good CB for us, one of the Giants' best in many, many years, imo.

Certainly no HOF, not close, but he is one of the better CBs today, and certainly has played up to his 2nd round draft status.

Webster without questionn has been our best corner for some time now.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-09-2012, 12:55 AM
The most underrated CB in the NFL

GiantWarfare
01-09-2012, 01:35 AM
absolutely lockdown in this game

BUT...we're gonna need this kinda performance 2x for next wknd!