PDA

View Full Version : Just a look into Free agency

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/ (http://)

I was looking at the list and some noticeable names popped up. im not advocating going on a shopping spree like the eagles did but sure up positions of of interest so we can take care of needs in the Nfl draft.

RB. man would it be nice t pry ray rice away from baltimore. hes an every down back he will fit the giants run first scheme extremely well. and hes not injury ridden.

CB. Brent grimes an easy upgrade to he secondary can play man cover almost just as good as corey can imho. bring him in would allow rolle to play his natural position then resign thomas toa one year and see where witherspoon, tyron and johnson are health and speed wise, how much of the rust is there due to injury. i won't say best secondary in the league but one oppoising offense would have a tough time against.

OG. <span class="article">Carl Nicks i only say this cause Deihl is horrible at guard i'm my honest assessment, and beatty hasn't been manhandled to much from what i've seen when he was playing. maybe Dehil can play RT instead? i don't know im not an expert on O-Line evaluating.

what do you guys think ? who would you like ?
</span>

TuckYou
12-26-2011, 04:54 PM
CBs LBs and OLs. Anyone can help us really. </P>

Ray Rice aint happening. He is my favorite RB outside Bradshaw, but it aint happening. </P>

slipknottin
12-26-2011, 05:00 PM
As much as I like Brent grimes, he will never be a giant, just doesn't fit the prototype that the giants want on defense. They want their CBs 6' and 200 pounds.

Not 5'9 185 like grimes.

AllTuckedUp
12-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Ray Rice will be locked up by Baltimore.

JacksGiant76
12-26-2011, 05:40 PM
From what I understand, the cap size isn't suppose to go up much in the next 2 seasons, so if the Giants want to spend any money, they're going to need to jettison some hefty contracts first.

Spizi
12-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Well I made a thread with my dream offseason so here it is.

Trade
- Tuck and Osi for a 2nd and 3rd

Sign
- Mario Williams
- Carl Nicks
- Curtis Lofton

Draft
- Trade our 2 2nd rnd picks for another 1st
- Dre Kirkpatrick and Trent Richardson

and cut anyone that stands in the way of making this happen

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Trade

Sign
- Mario Williams
- Carl Nicks
- Curtis Lofton

Draft

i feel this but im saying if we can pry away ray rice from baltimore with dollars and promise of the starting position, then we can use those two first your talking about for OL or LB's just a thought

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 06:22 PM
As much as I like Brent grimes, he will never be a giant, just doesn't fit the prototype that the giants want on defense. They want their CBs 6' and 200 pounds.

Not 5'9 185 like grimes.

but he's really fast and can close to the ball quickly. do we really chose size over speed when it comes to cover skills in a CB?

CDN_G-FAN
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
i love to hear how much money we have to spend, in total next year.

i imagine very little.

BallinNY
12-26-2011, 06:33 PM

Trade

Sign
- Mario Williams
- Carl Nicks
- Curtis Lofton

Draft

First off, I admire the thought you have, you seem very energetic. But unfortunately, Both Richardson and Kirkpatrick are top 10-15 picks, and right now it is very unlikely we get either even if we lose against the Cowboys and miss the playoffs.

Tuck is not going to be traded, point blank period. I feel for him getting injured every season and am aggravated by this, but this is not madden. He is a giant through and through, and a top DE when healthy.

Osi on the other hand I want out. He is a detriment to our defense more than he is a playmaker. He is pushed back in the run game, overshoots the quarterback making the pocket a lot bigger, and has a poor attitude. I hope we can get a late 2nd, but at this point I have no idea what his value is at.

Williams and Nicks are going no where. Both teams will work to keep their young talent, both are top players at their positions, and both would command a lot of money to pry away from their teams. Another thing is why would they leave their teams when each is becoming very successful?

Lofton is probably a little unrealistic too. He is a tackling machine, but cost involved I think I would look for another player.

NYG_88
12-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Well Ray Rice would be awesome to have next to Bradshaw but honestly I would like to have to Michael Bush (OAK) that man is a beast, like a younger Jacobs who might leave next year. Tolbert (SD) also an option.

Like Brent Grims very underrated CB would be a great steal from the Falcons.

Not that many good CBs in free agency in my opinion except for Grimes (ATL), Finnegan (TEN), Rogers (SF), and Carr (KC).

And on the offensive line Grubbs (BAL) and Nicks (NO) sound good but think the Giants will look what they have on their roster and draft to mix and match and make the O-Line better for 2012.

Also getting another physical WR to go opposite Nicks wont hurt maybe look at Colston.

Whats your guys opinion on Vicent Jackson?

jjj45
12-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Not 5'9 185 like grimes.Justin Tryon 5-9 183.

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Well Ray Rice would be awesome to have next to Bradshaw but honestly I would like to have to Michael Bush (OAK) that man is a beast, like a younger Jacobs who might leave next year. Tolbert (SD) also an option.

Not that many good CBs in free agency in my opinion except for Grimes (ATL), Finnegan (TEN), Rogers (SF), and Carr (KC).

And on the offensive line Grubbs (BAL) and Nicks (NO) sound good but think the Giants will look what they have on their roster and draft to mix and match and make the O-Line better for 2012.

Also getting another physical WR to go opposite Nicks wont hurt maybe look at Colston.

I would love vincent jackson, but I know hes probably going to want top dollar and,yhe giants are not that much into giving those contract to widereceivers . But honestly vincent jackson on the giants with eli he would man handle any corner in the nfc east with his size/athleticism/ball making skills. Like who would cover him he would be a miss match across the board

NYG_88
12-26-2011, 06:49 PM

I would love vincent jackson, but I know hes probably going to want top dollar and,yhe giants are not that much into giving those contract to widereceivers . But honestly vincent jackson on the giants with eli he would man handle any corner in the nfc east with his size/athleticism/ball making skills. Like who would cover him he would be a miss match across the board

I know a WR at 6'5 would be great, he would command more attention from both the CB and Safety. But most people would point out the Thursday night game against Oakland where he looked to give up on the play but then they have to look at his 3 TD game against GB. He will demand a lot of money but my next option would be Colston or Meachem.

Opinion on Michael Bush?

NYSPORTS
12-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Forget free agents. Resign our own and draft well.

This isn't fantasy football or X-Box. No reason to even think WR with this group, potentially signing Manningham and Jerningan recently drafted.

NY_Eli
12-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Said this another thread...but Kahlil Bell of the bears will be a RFA at the end of the season. Only 25 years old, has decent speed and good hands.

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 08:18 PM

This isn't fantasy football or X-Box. No reason to even think WR with this group, potentially signing Manningham and Jerningan recently drafted.

No one is talking about being the second comin of the eagles in this free agency. But you cant fault people for thinking wide out with the way eli has improved, manningham possibly gone cause he has not improved or elevated his game past the burner receiver, and nick sort of injury hampered; Not willing to say prone on him yet. but its all abouy stableizing positions so we dont have to sacrifice experience or waste picks on the need vs bpa bullcrap of the draft

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 08:18 PM

No one is talking about being the second comin of the eagles in this free agency. But you cant fault people for thinking wide out with the way eli has improved, manningham possibly gone cause he has not improved or elevated his game past the burner receiver, and nick sort of injury hampered; Not willing to say prone on him yet. but its all abouy stableizing positions so we dont have to sacrifice experience or waste picks on the need vs bpa bullcrap of the draft

Spizi
12-26-2011, 08:36 PM

Trade

Sign
- Mario Williams
- Carl Nicks
- Curtis Lofton

Draft

First off, I admire the thought you have, you seem very energetic. But unfortunately, Both Richardson and Kirkpatrick are top 10-15 picks, and right now it is very unlikely we get either even if we lose against the Cowboys and miss the playoffs.

Tuck is not going to be traded, point blank period. I feel for him getting injured every season and am aggravated by this, but this is not madden. He is a giant through and through, and a top DE when healthy.

Osi on the other hand I want out. He is a detriment to our defense more than he is a playmaker. He is pushed back in the run game, overshoots the quarterback making the pocket a lot bigger, and has a poor attitude. I hope we can get a late 2nd, but at this point I have no idea what his value is at.

Williams and Nicks are going no where. Both teams will work to keep their young talent, both are top players at their positions, and both would command a lot of money to pry away from their teams. Another thing is why would they leave their teams when each is becoming very successful?

Lofton is probably a little unrealistic too. He is a tackling machine, but cost involved I think I would look for another player.

I read somewhere that they might not be able to keep Nicks because they already have the highest paid guard in the nfl on their team. I think we could get Williams because I'm sure he'd rather play 4-3 end than OLB and he is better than tuck plus we would be getting draft picks for tuck. it's a win win situation. I don't think they get rid of lofton either so we might have to go after Kuechly in the draft.

BlueSanta
12-26-2011, 08:43 PM
We couldnt get a 2nd round pick for Osi last year, what makes people think we will get 1 this year?

Osi has very little trade value.

slipknottin
12-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Yea, as a desperation move after losing 5 CBs to IR. look at the players they have drafted

redbeardxxv
12-26-2011, 08:48 PM

Trade

Sign
- Mario Williams
- Carl Nicks
- Curtis Lofton

Draft

Yeah, i didn't read anything past "Trade Tuck"... I'm glad you people don't run this franchise.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 09:00 PM
I hope the Eagles cut Nnamdi.

myles2424
12-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Kuechly in the 1st......Bst available Oline FA....replace rolle in FA....RB,cb,DT,TE in draft....

redbeardxxv
12-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Kuechly in the 1st......Bst available Oline FA....replace rolle in FA....RB,cb,DT,TE in draft....

Why replace Rolle? He's doing ok for playing out of position most of the year, and he has provided an attitude for the defense. I like his fire, he just needs to shut up to the media. Is it his contract? I know he's expensive..

jjj45
12-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Yea, as a desperation move after losing 5 CBs to IR. look at the players they have draftedI still think we are pretty desperate at the position. No telling how our CBs will recover from their knee injuries. So it's not out of the question, but yeah we probably wont get him. Because we never get flashy in FA.

rainierjef
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Yea, as a desperation move after losing 5 CBs to IR. look at the players they have draftedI still think we are pretty desperate at the position. No telling how our CBs will recover from their knee injuries. So it's not out of the question, but yeah we probably wont get him. Because we never get flashy in FA.
. But grimes is not a flashy free agency pick, the sexy pick up would be rice. I just dont think that pattern of choosing DB's matter with the massive hit we took to our secondary core

myles2424
12-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Why replace Rolle? He's doing ok for playing out of position most of the year, and he has provided an attitude for the defense. I like his fire, he just needs to shut up to the media. Is it his contract? I know he's expensive.. why replace rolle? He's paid like one of the best safeties in the league.....is he one of the best? Enough said.....

NYfanatic
12-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I would go after some veteren guards or tackles for cheap next year.
That and another veteren OLB.
Resign our guys first.

jjj45
12-26-2011, 10:50 PM

. But grimes is not a flashy free agency pick, the sexy pick up would be rice. I just dont think that pattern of choosing DB's matter with the massive hit we took to our secondary corestill, knowing us we wouldnt go after Grimes. And Ray rice is a absolutely-not-gonna-happen pick. You think the Ravens would let a guy like him go? He <u>is</u> their offense. Rice is staying in Baltimore.

gmen46
12-26-2011, 11:08 PM

I'd rather spend whatever money would be required in a Jackson signing on extending Nicks' contract for a long time, and to sign a new contract with Cruz, as well, since he has far outperformed his rookie contract.

A good DB, LB, OL in FA, fine. WR is still one of the last positions I'd want to spend big FA money on. Take care of the 2 that have been taking care of us, Hakeem and Victor.

NYSPORTS
12-27-2011, 12:42 AM

Talking out of both ends by claiming not wanting to be the Eagles yet wanting Vincent Jackson. Not to mention, talking about stabilizing positions and you emphasize the receivers which is practically the most stable. What's the plan financially? Sign Jackson for a astronomical amount, then Nicks in a few years in addition to Cruz?

Leave it to the experts and BPA. The NFL isn't XBox or fantasy football.

rainierjef
12-27-2011, 02:41 AM

Talking out of both ends by claiming not wanting to be the Eagles yet wanting Vincent Jackson. Not to mention, talking about stabilizing positions and you emphasize the receivers which is practically the most stable. What's the plan financially? Sign Jackson for a astronomical amount, then Nicks in a few years in addition to Cruz?

someones bitter

re read what i said in the first post you decided to comment on, i said and quote "I would love vincent jackson, but I know he's probably going to want top dollar and, the giants are not that much into giving those contract to wide receivers" sounds like your arguing about nothing man.

im talking about stabilizing positions of need to relieve the need vs BPA argument in the draft such as RB / CB/ OL/ LB.

but you cannot fault others peoples opinions, to want a big physical wide out when we might lose manningham, barden hasn't shown much of why he was drafted ( maybe its due to the fact he's buried in the depth ) Nicks is some what hampered with injuries and the only consistent player we have is cruz. you sound like a resident expert the way your coming off, like you know it all. talking bout this isn't xbox smh no one is saying we should go out and get like 5 pro bowl player and 2 other top players like what the eagles did, were saying stabilize positions of need or improve positions period.

stop acting like you won't gush your pants if vincent jackson signed to the giants.

and get the $#@! out of here with that Leave it to the experts and BPA. The NFL isn't XBox or fantasy football nonsense you sound immature.

rainierjef
12-27-2011, 02:43 AM

I'd rather spend whatever money would be required in a Jackson signing on extending Nicks' contract for a long time, and to sign a new contract with Cruz, as well, since he has far outperformed his rookie contract.

A good DB, LB, OL in FA, fine. WR is still one of the last positions I'd want to spend big FA money on. Take care of the 2 that have been taking care of us, Hakeem and Victor.

back to the topic at hand.

fair enough your right cruz and nicks do need to be extended relatively. but aren't you not just a tad bit worried with the health of nicks and some of the injuries he has had, plus this teams curse with injuries. i'm not saying go break the bank but at least flirt with the options. :)

which line backers and Oline would you feel is fair to look at in FA and why wouldn't you add RB to that list?

lawl
12-27-2011, 02:50 AM

Yea, as a desperation move after losing 5 CBs to IR. look at the players they have drafted

Fewell is even quoted as saying that tryon doesn't have the size that we like. I think it's in the article when he goes on IR or had that good game. I remember reading it and it being a validation of our FO liking big sevondary players.

gmen46
12-27-2011, 05:23 AM

back to the topic at hand.

fair enough your right cruz and nicks do need to be extended relatively. but aren't you not* just a tad bit worried with the health of nicks and some of the injuries he has had, plus this teams curse with injuries. i'm not saying go break the bank but at least flirt with the options. :)

which line backers and Oline would you feel is fair to look at in FA and why wouldn't you add RB to that list?

I'm not worried about Nicks' health, barring a catastrophic injury that could happen to anyone (MCL) in the league. He missed 2 games and 3 games, respectively, his first 2 years, true, but has missed only 1 this year.

He's not all that unusual as a WR to miss 2-3 games a year the first couple years of his career. Not all do, of course, but many have.

Michael Irvin missed 16 games (vs Nicks missing 6) his first 3 years in the league, for example, before going 7 out of his next 8 years without missing a game.

I'm just saying I believe Nicks is our Michael Irvin, our Vincent Jackson (but 4 years younger). And Cruz is our wild card for the moment. I think we should lock them both in, and the sooner the better, as their value will only rise over the next couple years and they will cost more to keep, the longer we wait.

Those thinking Jackson would be a good addition to our receiver core are right and they're wrong. Because in reality we would not be able to retain Nicks and/or Cruz, for contracts they want and deserve, and at the same time hire Jackson at what his market value would be.

So, the inevitable net result would not be an upgrade and add on in talent, but an exchange. And I don't believe bringing Jackson (4 years older than Nicks and 5 years older than Cruz) in for beau coup bucks, in exchange for losing Nicks or Cruz would be improving our team.

As for backers and linemen in FA this year, I don't know who they are so I don't have any one in mind. I'm not that tuned in to any in those positions other than the really big names. I'm just acknowledging that in any Free Agency period we should look at our one or two biggest position need and pursue where appropriate. And, for me, I don't see a Free Agent WR who--by definition would cost more than extending Nicks and Cruz--would be worth pursuit.

As for RB, again, I don't know who will be available this off season, aside from Ray Rice who's been referred to in this thread. Of course, he WOULD be a good "get" as they say, but he has quickly become the new face of the franchise, in my opinion, not Flacco, and Lewis isn't long for the Ravens world. The Ravens will not let him get away, guarantee that.

And any RB available who's been in the league for more than 4 years would not be worth FA money. Every single year there is a good crop of RBs available in rounds 2-6, so spending mega bucks on a FA RB is usually not a good fiscal gamble.

(And before you jump in with the Darren Sproles FA pick up by NO, I see him as more of a Reggie Bush--the New Orleans Saints Reggie Bush, not the rejuvenated Miami Dolphins Reggie--or a Brian Westbrook, where his value is as a receiver and returner as much as a LOS running back, since he makes most of his plays in the open field, not through tackles and guards.In fact, through 15 games he has exactly the same number of catches as runs, and has more receiving TDs than run TDs. He's the exception to my "4 year rule", and has proven to be THE FA pick up of the 2011 off season.)

NYSPORTS
12-27-2011, 10:46 AM

someones bitter

re read what i said in the first post you decided to comment on, i said and quote "I would love vincent jackson, but I know he's probably going to want top dollar and, the giants are not that much into giving those contract to wide receivers" sounds like your arguing about nothing man.

im talking about stabilizing positions of need to relieve the need vs BPA argument in the draft such as RB / CB/ OL/ LB.

but you cannot fault others peoples opinions, to want a big physical wide out when we might lose manningham, barden hasn't shown much of why he was drafted ( maybe its due to the fact he's buried in the depth ) Nicks is some what hampered with injuries and the only consistent player we have is cruz. you sound like a resident expert the way your coming off, like you know it all. talking bout this isn't xbox smh no one is saying we should go out and get like 5 pro bowl player and 2 other top players like what the eagles did, were saying stabilize positions of need or improve positions period.

stop acting like you won't gush your pants if vincent jackson signed to the giants.

and get the $#@! out of here with that Leave it to the experts and BPA. The NFL isn't XBox or fantasy football nonsense you sound immature.

Not sure why you think I'm bitter. I just think you thoughts are better suited for fantasy sports or madden. There is no way you are taking into consideration the cap, accelerated contracts or resigning vets.

Fans are fans - enjoy

rainierjef
12-27-2011, 06:54 PM

someones bitter

Not sure why you think I'm bitter. I just think you thoughts are better suited for fantasy sports or madden. There is no way you are taking into consideration the cap, accelerated contracts or resigning vets.

Fans are fans - enjoy

that's cool but this is a message board where almost everything is a hey what if this or what if that thread, cynical people such as yourself should just read or chose not to read and dont respond. the overall theme of this was a what do you think, maybe we should address this. and unless your directly working for the FO your input wasn't needed then and not needed now.

thanks for reading though - enjoy