PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says Coughlin SAFE next year

Overdrive92
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM
ESPN's Adam Schefter just did a segment on head coaches during Monday Night Countdown. They said that Giants HC Tom Coughlin is safe and will stay next year. He has 1 year left on his contract.

For other coaches, Andy Reid is safe in Philly, Jason Garrett is safe in Dallas, and Steve Spagnuolo is likely out in St. Louis.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 09:19 PM
If we don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is not fired, I will be ****ing pissed.

NYGFaninILL
12-26-2011, 09:20 PM
If we don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is not fired, I will be ****ing pissed.

I'd be happy if Coughlin stays and fewell goes.

stormblue
12-26-2011, 09:23 PM
yea i know ;

all of us TC haters around here have tried to convince management to do the right thing but they refuse to listen.

'bout time we take this up a notch and start pushing for new ownership.

TheEnigma
12-26-2011, 09:24 PM
If we don't make the playoffs and Coughlin is not fired, I will be ****ing pissed.For me, Coughlin has to get us into the playoffs, win the WC round, and play competitively in the divisional round for me to have confidence in him next year.

That said, I think Coughlin stays regardless of what happens next week against Dallas. Just my gut feeling.

NYGFaninILL
12-26-2011, 09:26 PM
yea i know ;

all of us TC haters around here have tried to convince management to do the right thing but they refuse to listen.

Your kidding, right?
If not, that's pretty ungrateful, man.

GiantFanatic55
12-26-2011, 09:32 PM

+1

TheReal_LT
12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
yea i know ;

You're kidding right?.....The Mara's and Tisch's aren't going to sell the team....If you really want to send a message to ownership you hurt them in the pocket by not showing up to the games...

Down-lifer
12-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Maybe the players should just play better football. Ever think of that???? TC is not on the O-line or playing in the secondary. The defensive players have been a bunch of ******* all year! Except for JPP. Point is, TC is not the problem.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 09:39 PM

I'd be happy if Coughlin stays and fewell goes.I just can't justify keeping a coach who has needed to fire three defensive coordinators.

ashleymarie
12-26-2011, 09:49 PM
yea i know ;

I know you were kidding, but I would not want new ownership. Coughlin is okay to stay, imo. Fewell? I'm unsure.

scf424
12-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Let's not crucify Fewell yet. He was missing his starting MLB, CB, Osi/Tuck were/are injured all season, Prince missed all of camp, and we've been rotating in rookie LBs.

Our defense was top 10 last year when everyone was healthy. Injuries make a difference, lets see how he does next year when/if we have our full defense and the rookies are more acclimated to the scheme.

now Gilbride, thats another story. I hope he gets a job offer, and we promote Mike Sullivan (QB coach, hes a good guy, I know him), or hire some young gun out of GB or NO to take over the offense.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Let's not crucify Fewell yet. He was missing his starting MLB, CB, Osi/Tuck were/are injured all season, Prince missed all of camp, and we've been rotating in rookie LBs.

Our defense was top 10 last year when everyone was healthy. Injuries make a difference, lets see how he does next year when/if we have our full defense and the rookies are more acclimated to the scheme.

now Gilbride, thats another story. I hope he gets a job offer, and we promote Mike Sullivan (QB coach, hes a good guy, I know him), or hire some young gun out of GB or NO to take over the offense.And possibly an acquisition here or there.

I really like Fewell, I hated the initial hiring (I wanted McDermott), but I think Fewell is a great coach that has had to overcome a lot, but if we can't make the playoffs this year, I really feel that we should just clean house.

stormblue
12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
yea i know ;

I know you were kidding, but I would not want new ownership. Coughlin is okay to stay, imo. Fewell? I'm unsure.

cheeze and crackers

i do all my bashing and hating for fun and grins ... some people just don't know how to throw a little smack around without gettin' all
worked up like its a real live or die situation.

glad somebody gets it and appreciates the humor.

TheReal_LT
12-26-2011, 10:01 PM

now Gilbride, thats another story. I hope he gets a job offer, and we promote Mike Sullivan (QB coach, hes a good guy, I know him), or hire some young gun out of GB or NO to take over the offense.

I hear what you're sayng but I question Fewell for taking till week 16 to make his defensive schemes easier...what took him so long?

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 10:04 PM
what took him so long?Playing a **** Jets offense

scf424
12-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Maybe he trusts them now.

We'll see how they do against Dallas.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 10:12 PM

We'll see how they do against Dallas.Probably pretty good. You have a QB who will have a hurting hand in the cold not in sync w/receivers because of missing practice time, who, oh by the way, is also pretty bad in pressure games (think 2008 week 17).

The only true test I see when/if entering the playoffs is going to NO. I really can't see a way we win that game.

scf424
12-26-2011, 10:15 PM

We'll see how they do against Dallas.Probably pretty good. You have a QB who will have a hurting hand in the cold not in sync w/receivers because of missing practice time, who, oh by the way, is also pretty bad in pressure games (think 2008 week 17).

The only true test I see when/if entering the playoffs is going to NO. I really can't see a way we win that game.

Frankly, at this point, I'll take any excuse if it means winning a game.

I have no love for Dallas, and don't give two turds if Romo lays an egg.

But I agree, New Orleans probably will torch us again. But if we can get the run game going, and the receivers stop dropping passes, we can and will compete with any team in the NFL.

TheReal_LT
12-26-2011, 10:16 PM

We'll see how they do against Dallas.

Maybe he's just too stubborn?...especially when we don't have the personelle in the secondary because of injuries...maybe that's why the secondary has looked confused at times and have blown coverages?
Whatever the case may be IF we make the playoffs i think all of the coaching staff will be safe...

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 10:17 PM

But I agree, New Orleans probably will torch us again. But if we can get the run game going, and the receivers stop dropping passes, we can and will compete with any team in the NFL.Compete, yes. But we would need to win in a shootout against NO.

SweetZombieJesus
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
The Giants have not fired anybody in the last year of his contract.

I believe Handley had 2 years left, Reeves had 1 year left, Fassel had 1 year left. Consider it severance pay.

scf424
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM

But I agree, New Orleans probably will torch us again. But if we can get the run game going, and the receivers stop dropping passes, we can and will compete with any team in the NFL.Compete, yes. But we would need to win in a shootout against NO.

Well, should we get into the playoffs, lets hope NO plays ATL, as I feel they (besides Green Bay), have the best chance of beating them.

I really think we can beat Detroit, Atlanta, San Fran, and even Green Bay if it came down to it, but New Orleans just matches up well against us.

SweetZombieJesus
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
bout time we take this up a notch and start pushing for new ownership.

You realize it's been owned by the same team since game one in 1925?

The current owner's dad was a ballboy in that first game in 1925.

(* Only exception was selling 50% of the team to the Tisch's in 1990)

SweetZombieJesus
12-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Maybe the players should just play better football. Ever think of that???? TC is not on the O-line or playing in the secondary. The defensive players have been a bunch of ******* all year! Except for JPP. Point is, TC is not the problem.

On the flip side, we have the same pattern of failure (2nd half collapses and no-show in big games with playoff implications) for 7 out of 8 years under Tom Coughlin. Never won a home playoff game, and a record of 30-42 in Nov/Dec. The players have changed, the subordinate coaches have changed, the GM has changed, even the owners changed as Bob Tisch and Wellington Mara died in 2005. Guess what hasn't changed and we still get the same results every year...

This is what has me really nervous about next week... The Giants, at home, in a playoff game or game to get into the playoffs, in the national spotlight...

2005 loss to Panthers at home 23-0
2008 loss to Eagles at home 23-11
2009 last game ever at Giants Stadium with playoffs on the line loss to Panthers 41-9
2010 chance to lock up NFC-E against Eagles, meltdown

We should all be gulping

nycisgreat
12-26-2011, 10:23 PM

+100000

I agree. I hate KG, but I hate Fewells more. I would keep KG if that means we could lets Fewells go.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 10:26 PM
The Giants have not fired anybody in the last year of his contract.

I believe Handley had 2 years left, Reeves had 1 year left, Fassel had 1 year left.* Consider it severance pay.
I think they extended Coughlin by a year merely so he wouldn't be a lame duck coach.

Joe Morrison
12-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Any real Giant fan would have known for weeks that Mara already said TC wasn't going anywhere, this is old news.

KidA
12-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I would be happy if they kept Coughlin for the final year of his contract, but brought back Spagnuolo as a replacement for Perry Fewell.

SweetZombieJesus
12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Any real Giant fan would have known for weeks that Mara already said TC wasn't going anywhere, this is old news.

Link? I thought he was dodging the question.

TheReal_LT
12-26-2011, 10:30 PM

On the flip side, we have the same pattern of failure (2nd half collapses and no-show in big games with playoff implications) for 7 out of 8 years under Tom Coughlin.* Never won a home playoff game, and a record of 30-42 in Nov/Dec.* The players have changed, the subordinate coaches have changed, the GM has changed, even the owners changed as Bob Tisch and Wellington Mara died in 2005.* Guess what hasn't changed and we still get the same results every year...

The consistent 2nd half collapses is what pisses me off the most but If we make the playoffs how could the firing of the coaching staff be justified?...To get to the playoffs with the on slaught of injuries that we've had this year is an accomplishment in itself...

53canton
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Do you TC haters realize that who ever replaces him will take 3 years to establish himself with the team? The new coach would tear the team apart and build his own roster. I like what we have now, TC wins more than he loses. We just need a more aggressive def..coor. (Spags) And we can go deep into the playoffs next year. Who the hell want to wait for a new regime that may not work out at all??

MikeSherrard
12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Mara keeps Coughlin because he won last week. The JET game was special unique and significant game for Mara and the Mara family.

Mara could never stomach the notion of the JETS "claiming the stadium" that was once his fathers grounds.

Coughlin will stay next year regardless of what happens next week based on his win.

Mara is too loyal of a man to get rid of a coach that essentially "won the stadium"

-JD

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Do you TC haters realize that who ever replaces him will take 3 years to establish himself with the team? The new coach would tear the team apart and build his own roster. I like what we have now, TC wins more than he loses. We just need a more aggressive def..coor. (Spags) And we can go deep into the playoffs next year. Who the hell want to wait for a new regime that may not work out at all??3 years to establish himself? How many years in a row will we have missed the playoffs if we lose to Dallas on Sunday?

VBGiantsFan
12-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Do you TC haters realize that who ever replaces him will take 3 years to establish himself with the team? The new coach would tear the team apart and build his own roster. I like what we have now, TC wins more than he loses. We just need a more aggressive def..coor. (Spags) And we can go deep into the playoffs next year. Who the hell want to wait for a new regime that may not work out at all??3 years to establish himself? How many years in a row will we have missed the playoffs if we lose to Dallas on Sunday?

It's hard to completely blame Coughlin. Even though we missed the playoffs the last 2 years, were were in contention pretty much until the end every year. This year, if we don't make it, it's the same thing.

Imagine if our defense was as good this year as it was last year. Who knows what the loss of Goff, TT, and essentially Osi did to this team? Who know how we would have been if Tuck didn't injure his entire body.

Heck, who knows how our season would go if we didn't have the worse 2nd half schedule in the history of the league? I would say, the only one who should be at risk if we miss the playoffs this year is Fewell.

gmen0820
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM

It's hard to completely blame Coughlin. Even though we missed the playoffs the last 2 years, were were in contention pretty much until the end every year. This year, if we don't make it, it's the same thing.

Imagine if our defense was as good this year as it was last year. Who knows what the loss of Goff, TT, and essentially Osi did to this team? Who know how we would have been if Tuck didn't injure his entire body.

Heck, who knows how our season would go if we didn't have the worse 2nd half schedule in the history of the league? I would say, the only one who should be at risk if we miss the playoffs this year is Fewell.You say it shouldn't be blamed completely on Coughlin, praise last years defense and wonder how much better it'd be if we weren't banged up, but still think Fewell should be at risk? I don't understand the reasoning.

I think these coaches definitely make a convincing case for themselves keeping their jobs because of the way the season has unraveled with these huge roadblocks, and I like Coughlin and Fewell, but I feel that if one coach goes everyone should go. I don't like the idea of scapegoating a coach.

giantsforce
12-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Heck, who knows how our season would go if we didn't have the worse 2nd half schedule in the history of the league? I would say, the only one who should be at risk if we miss the playoffs this year is Fewell.Then get ready for the same **** next year.

NYG_88
12-26-2011, 11:32 PM
If Coughlin is safe, so is Gilbride and a strong possibility Fewell because of the injuries to the Def.

NYfanatic
12-26-2011, 11:36 PM
yea i know ;

I agree.

NYfanatic
12-26-2011, 11:37 PM
If we dont make the playoffs and Coughlin is safe I think it is time I personally go see the Maras and say to them "Are you two just plain brain dead or somthing?"

Roswell777
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM

I'd be happy if Coughlin stays and fewell goes.I just can't justify keeping a coach who has needed to fire three defensive coordinators.

I am pro Coughlin but this is a very fair point.

GMENAGAIN
12-26-2011, 11:42 PM
ESPN knows nothing.

SweetZombieJesus
12-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Then get ready for the same **** next year.

Exactly, we've got an 8 year resume to examine and it's the same problem over and over -- and no clue as to what it is or how to fix it.

stormblue
12-26-2011, 11:50 PM
alright , the haters are startin' to rock this thread.
keep up the good work.
big ups to all.

53canton
12-27-2011, 01:48 AM
So who do you guys want as head coach? Someone that will step right in and win 10 games I assume? Someone that will go deep into the playoffs right away I assume?

GET REAL!! No one will do that. And im not willing to wait years for a new head coach to start winning.

NYSPORTS
12-27-2011, 01:52 AM
ESPN's Adam Schefter just did a segment on head coaches during Monday Night Countdown. They said that Giants HC Tom Coughlin is safe and will stay next year. He has 1 year left on his contract.

This clown at ESPN has ZERO inside information. It's a all B.S. I can't believe how many actually believe the Giants leak this info to this idiot or think the guy calls the Giants and they give him info. Total B.S.

Overdrive92
12-27-2011, 01:59 AM

This clown at ESPN has ZERO inside information. It's a all B.S. I can't believe how many actually believe the Giants leak this info to this idiot or think the guy calls the Giants and they give him info. Total B.S.

Umm...not gonna' lie...Adam Schefter's pretty good.

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 02:04 AM

Umm...not gonna' lie...Adam Schefter's pretty good.Schefter is the best in the biz bar none

Zaggs
12-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Its all fun and games until (if) the Giants lose next week. If they do, some changes have got to be made. How many 2nd half collapses can ownership stand?

NYGFaninILL
12-27-2011, 02:13 AM
So who do you guys want as head coach? Someone that will step right in and win 10 games I assume? Someone that will go deep into the playoffs right away I assume?

GET REAL!! No one will do that. And im not willing to wait years for a new head coach to start winning.

+100

miked1958
12-27-2011, 02:22 AM
I think they give him a pass due to all the injuries. However losing to Philly and Dallas in back to back years to hand the division title to you're rivals can't be good for your resume. Especially both Home games to.

ToomerFORtheBomb
12-27-2011, 02:52 AM

Be careful with that... if they hire the wrong coach and the team takes a step backwards, Coughlin would be sorely missed.

I think Coughlin's biggest fault are bad coordinators. With the exception of Spags, his track record is awful. I think they win in spite of Gillbride.

I mean, if they didn't make the playoffs and they kept Coughlin, who wouldn't want to see the combo of Coughlin and Spags again?

SweetZombieJesus
12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
It's hard to completely blame Coughlin. Even though we missed the playoffs the last 2 years, were were in contention pretty much until the end every year.

This team has always been in the driver's seat at the end of October and then blows it. Sometimes with 7:30 left in week 15.

Even when they make the playoffs there are three first round exits with two of them hall-of-shame duds.

SweetZombieJesus
12-27-2011, 08:49 AM

Someone who will break the cycle of late season collapses and no-shows.

Someone who can win a home playoff game.

Someone who wouldn't lose the last ever game at Giants Stadium 41-9.

Someone who wouldn't lose a game that wins the division crown up by 24 points with 7:30 to go.

Someone who can get the team to play its best football at the end of the season.

Someone who can amass a 2nd half record that is better than .42 winning percentage.

We've already wasted 3 seasons hoping for the magic to come back.

How many years in a row do you need to see the same pattern of failure before you are convinced? How many defensive coordinators do we need to hire and fire? Do you really want to keep wasting Eli's most productive years?

You've already waited 3 years since the last time the Giants played dominating football week-in and week-out (2008).

Look what the Yankees had to do with Joe Torre, arguably their greatest manager ever. Sometimes something that is still mostly good is not good enough to climb the mountain of winning a championship and you can only exploit past glory for so long...

NJ10
12-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Are you saying Eli is not good under pressure? That is when he is at his best. Not another QB I would rather have with the ball in his hands with the game on the line. (think Super Bowl 42)

NJ10
12-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Someone who will break the cycle of late season collapses and no-shows.

Someone who can win a home playoff game.

Someone who can get the team to play its best football at the end of the season.

Someone who can amass a 2nd half record that is better than .42 winning percentage.

We've already wasted 3 seasons hoping for the magic to come back.

How many years in a row do you need to see the same pattern of failure before you are convinced? How many defensive coordinators do we need to hire and fire? Do you really want to keep wasting Eli's most productive years?

You've already waited 3 years since the last time the Giants played dominating football week-in and week-out (2008).

Look what the Yankees had to do with Joe Torre, arguably their greatest manager ever. Sometimes something that is still mostly good is not good enough to climb the mountain.

There is not anybody out there better then Tom. he isn't going anywhere. He hasnt had a losing season here in 8 years and has brought us a Lombardi.

Look at the Patriots, you know the last playoff game they won was the AFC Championship game before we beat them in the Super Bowl. How many home playoff losses do they have after that? I dont see anybody calling for Belichick's head

SweetZombieJesus
12-27-2011, 09:20 AM
There is not anybody out there better then Tom. he isn't going anywhere. He hasnt had a losing season here in 8 years and has brought us a Lombardi.

Look at the Patriots, you know the last playoff game they won was the AFC Championship game before we beat them in the Super Bowl. How many home playoff losses do they have after that? I dont see anybody calling for Belichick's head

Tom has had collapses in 7 out of 8 years, has a losing Nov/Dec record, has never won a home playoff game, and 2007 is more and more glaring as a lucky run. Even that year he went 4-4 in the 2nd half.

Don't even compare him to Belichick, who won 3 SBs in 4 years and went to a 4th. Belichick's teams play their best ball late in the season and they've won a home playoff game or two.

<ul> In the time Tom's been here and won 2 division titles, Belichick has won 7.
Tom has missed the playoffs 3 times and Belichick only once.
Tom's Nov/Dec record is 30-42, Belichick's is 54-16.
Tom's best Nov/Dec record is 5-3 and that's just about Belichick's worst.[/list]
Look at those Patriot teams and you won't see a single late season collapse and you sure won't see losing 8 of last 11 or 9 of last 11 like you do with Tom's teams. Right now the Pats are on a 7 game winning streak while the Giants' best possible outcome is 9 wins and a 3-5 record down the stretch.

Playing your best ball in Nov/Dec is important. Belichick does it right; Coughlin does it wrong.

So obviously saying there is not anybody out there better than Tom is ludicrously false. It's probably hard to find someone who has kept his job and has done any worse in the 2nd half of the season.

Really if you put your emotion and loyalty aside, even the biggest Coughlin supporter has to admit this makes him think twice. The numbers don't lie.

NJ10
12-27-2011, 09:30 AM

Tom has had collapses in 7 out of 8 years, has a losing Nov/Dec record, has never won a home playoff game, and 2007 is more and more glaring as a lucky run. Even that year he went 4-4 in the 2nd half.

Don't even compare him to Belichick, who won 3 SBs in 4 years and went to a 4th. Belichick's teams play their best ball late in the season and they've won a home playoff game or two. In the time Tom's been here and won 2 division titles, Belichick has won 7. Tom has missed the playoffs 3 times and Belichick only once. Tom's Nov/Dec record is 30-42, Belichick's is 54-16. Tom's best Nov/Dec record is 5-3 and that's just about Belichick's worst. Look at those Patriot teams and you won't see a single late season collapse and you sure won't see losing 8 of last 11 or 9 of last 11 like you do with Tom's teams.

So obviously saying there is not anybody out there better than Tom is ludicrously false. It's probably hard to find someone who has kept his job and has done any worse in the 2nd half of the season.

No the Pats have not won a playoff game since 2007.
And I meant there isn't a coach available better to replace Tom. Obviously Belicheck isnt available. I'm not saying that Tom is a better coach than Belicheck but he is definitely one of the best in the NFL.

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Are you saying Eli is not good under pressure? That is when he is at his best. Not another QB I would rather have with the ball in his hands with the game on the line. (think Super Bowl 42)
What about that post could I have done to make it clearer that I was talking about Romo?

Hurting hand, bad in pressure games (I even named a specific game), missing practice time? Cmon

NJ10
12-27-2011, 09:54 AM

What about that post could I have done to make it clearer that I was talking about Romo?

Hurting hand, bad in pressure games (I even named a specific game), missing practice time? Cmon

My Bad, I read it the wrong way. Though you meant by he is also bad in pressure games you were talking about Eli also being bad. Got my games mixed up thought 2008 was when we lost to Carolina the final game where if we won we were in.

brad
12-27-2011, 10:34 AM

When teams play poorly it is everyone's fault, including the coach... especially if there is a discernible pattern year after year. Yes, players must execute, but coaches are supposed to put them in the best position to execute and make sure they get up for the games that should be easy wins. If that isn't what a coach does please explain to me what exactly is his job? Clearly the Giants have collapsed in the second half of the season several years in a row now with different players participating. That can't be all TC's fault but he is at least partially responsible.

If you are going to take credit for the wins you must also take blame for the losses.

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM

My Bad, I read it the wrong way. Though you meant by he is also bad in pressure games you were talking about Eli also being bad. Got my games mixed up thought 2008 was when we lost to Carolina the final game where if we won we were in.
It's all good my man