PDA

View Full Version : How bad did the Dolphins screw this up?

Shockeyitus
03-08-2013, 09:00 AM
5 years 30 million... 12 guaranteed to Brian Hartline? eeekkkkk!!!

Flip Empty
03-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Yeah, strange move. Cruz's value just jumped a few million.

Jahh
03-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't know they guy kind of had a breakout year and their QB situation isn't exactly stellar.

TCHOF
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, strange move. Cruz's value just jumped a few million.

More than a few . . . . .

GiantPride13
03-08-2013, 11:06 AM

IDK the kid is better than people give him credit for. Really cam on this year with 74 rec and 1000+ yards. If he would have had 8 TD it would have been a great season. Especially since he was working with a very raw and unpolished QB. As Tannehill progressed hes going to need some weapons and unfortunately for MIA they only have one WR of note. So yes they overplayed but if he continues to progress and get 70+ rec and 1000+ yards it will look like a much better contract. Also with the addition of a Solid FA or Draft Pick WR suddenly Tannehill has a rec corp to work with.

Carter.525
03-08-2013, 11:24 AM
bonkers..!

Shockeyitus
03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
IDK the kid is better than people give him credit for. Really cam on this year with 74 rec and 1000+ yards. If he would have had 8 TD it would have been a great season. Especially since he was working with a very raw and unpolished QB. As Tannehill progressed hes going to need some weapons and unfortunately for MIA they only have one WR of note. So yes they overplayed but if he continues to progress and get 70+ rec and 1000+ yards it will look like a much better contract. Also with the addition of a Solid FA or Draft Pick WR suddenly Tannehill has a rec corp to work with.

I agree that Hartline really played well this year and the fact that he has a rookie QB, shows that he could be a special player. However, Cruz's contract is going to be based off the fact that his stats are far better than any other slot receivers. For a contract of this magnitude to be given to an unproven slot WR, only means that Cruz is going to ask for much more.

I see Cruz's asking price to be 5 years.... 40million.... 18 guaranteed.

GameTime
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
why?.....he is worth it to them obviously

TheAnalyst
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Cruz' value shouldnt of moved up a tick. Hartline obviously got way overpaid. Cruz is going to get a big pay day regardless of what others are getting.

RoanokeFan
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
why?.....he is worth it to them obviously

+1

ibbill
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM

If he only catches 80 for the year they are paying him $75,000.00 per catch at 6 mil a year

to quote Carter bonkers.

Toadofsteel
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
This just means we're more likely to tender him until these guys show how overpaid they really are...

TrueBlue@NYC
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Cruz' value shouldnt of moved up a tick. Hartline obviously got way overpaid. Cruz is going to get a big pay day regardless of what others are getting.

When agents and teams are in negotiations they ALWAYS use other recent contracts as a bar for setting the market. It's why it usually takes a while for the first deal to be signed, most teams don't want to set the market, and then following contracts usually follow pretty quickly after.

MIA just set the WR market for this season, but in a bad way for us.

RoanokeFan
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM

It all depends on what the rest of the teams do. If they follow suit, then WR is the place to b e in 2013. If not, it's not that big a deal.

blueribbon
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Whoa...... Nelly!

MattMeyerBud
03-08-2013, 01:05 PM

if they would of given Welker that kind of contract instead of letting him go to NE, im sure you would have said the same thing

With that said, they had money to spend

hugehomer
03-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Brian Hartline had one monster game against the Cardinals that made his yardage total for the year look so good. One fourth of his yearly total in one game

gmen0820
03-08-2013, 02:00 PM
That's the rate for an average 1,000 yard receiver. If you want guys like Cruz, Jennings, Nicks, etc. you're gonna need north of 9-10 million per.

rtlax
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
One of my best friends is a big fins fan and gets the ticket every year, I have seen Hartline play a ton or the past few years. He is a good player on a team without a ton of help for him.

RoanokeFan
03-08-2013, 02:03 PM
That's the rate for an average 1,000 yard receiver. If you want guys like Cruz, Jennings, Nicks, etc. you're gonna need north of 9-10 million per.

It's obsecne. True, but obscene

Moke
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
What a good deal for a 2nd WR.

gmen0820
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
It's obsecne. True, but obsceneI don't see how these ridiculous averages can be maintained when the salary cap is proportionally increasing at a relatively slow pace.

Teams are soon gonna have to debate whether they only want a couple of ELITE players and a bunch of average-to-below average players, or just a team with uniformly average players. Joe Flacco's deal is nuts, too; unless the next QBs in line to get huge deals (Rodgers, Stafford, Luck) reverse the trend by taking more modest deals with averages around 15, rather than 20 (which won't happen), then having a franchise QB is gonna be very expensive. Oh, and average QBs, like Alex Smith, will start getting 65-70 million dollar contracts!

DVision
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I don't see how these ridiculous averages can be maintained when the salary cap is proportionally increasing at a relatively slow pace.

Teams are soon gonna have to debate whether they only want a couple of ELITE players and a bunch of average-to-below average players, or just a team with uniformly average players. Joe Flacco's deal is nuts, too; unless the next QBs in line to get huge deals (Rodgers, Stafford, Luck) reverse the trend by taking more modest deals with averages around 15, rather than 20 (which won't happen), then having a franchise QB is gonna be very expensive. Oh, and average QBs, like Alex Smith, will start getting 65-70 million dollar contracts!

It will soon be like the NBA. A few stars and the rest of the roster will be full of scrubs!

RoanokeFan
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I don't see how these ridiculous averages can be maintained when the salary cap is proportionally increasing at a relatively slow pace.

I think Cruz is a unique player. I agree he should be able to make "the market value" whatever that is. BUT the money players get across the board is really obscene. We create that environment. We buy season tickets, wearing apparel, books they write, etc.

If Cruz were to be offered that kind of money, why would we expect him to stay here to make less than 3?

I still don't think any team is going to make him an offer that includes a 1st round.

gmen0820
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
One of my best friends is a big fins fan and gets the ticket every year, I have seen Hartline play a ton or the past few years. He is a good player on a team without a ton of help for him.Yeah, but free agency is more about a players value relative to league talent, rather than team talent (which should only play a minor role).

It's when teams lose sight of this that we get guys like Charles Johnson receiving a 72 million dollar contract. Granted, Charlotte is a small market, but how often does Charles Johnson come to mind when discussing top DEs (saved you the trouble, Johnson is a DE :p)?

Flip Empty
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Brian Hartline had one monster game against the Cardinals that made his yardage total for the year look so good. One fourth of his yearly total in one game

His only score came in that game, too.

Drez
03-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Wouldn't Bowe's have set the bar even higher?

Drez
03-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Doesn't Smith already make like $10m a year?

gmen0820
03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Doesn't Smith already make like $10m a year?He averages 8 per, so essentially. Nuts.

Under Reid, I can see him landing a bigger pay day from KC down the line.

Flip Empty
03-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Wouldn't Bowe's have set the bar even higher?
Bowe's would raise the ceiling; Hartline's would raise the floor.