PDA

View Full Version : Spags is not the answer to the defense any more than Fewell...

VBGiantsFan
12-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Spags had the benefit of a great Strahan, as well as a consistently great Osi and Tuck.

Not to mention, when it came to pressure:

Cofield > Canty
Robbins > Joseph

Basically, he had the benefit of a great defensive line that pressured the QB consistently.

When Fewell gets consistent pressure, ie the Jets game, his defense looks great too.

I don't care who the coordinator is, our defensive line will make them look great or like a goat.

rebelfan1966
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I got the impression that Spags was miffed with TC after we played St. Louis...... so I don't see him coming back to NY.

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Cant convince me of that???

T-Murda84
12-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Spags had the benefit of a great Strahan, as well as a consistently great Osi and Tuck.

Cofield > Canty
Robbins > Joseph

Basically, he had the benefit of a great defensive line that pressured the QB consistently.

When Fewell gets consistent pressure, ie the Jets game, his defense looks great too.

I don't care who the coordinator is, our defensive line will make them look great or like a goat.

Dont forget that we had much better linebacker play as well. Pierce was the QB of the defense and made SURE EVERY1 was on the same page. Pierce even had Reggie Torbor looking like a capable starter.

NYSPORTS
12-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Spags with a line of JPP, Joseph, Austin and any of Osi, Tuck, Kiwi would be great. He also would have better DB's and the 07 linebackers weren't that good.

stormblue
12-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Cofield > Canty
Robbins > Joseph

absolutely pure USDA inspected 100% correct.

just left another thread where i was saying the same thing...not as succinct as you , but from the same viewpoint.

Spaggs has taken a very bad rams team and made it worse.

JJC7301
12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Spags had the benefit of a great Strahan, as well as a consistently great Osi and Tuck. Not to mention, when it came to pressure: Cofield &gt; Canty Robbins &gt; Joseph Basically, he had the benefit of a great defensive line that pressured the QB consistently. When Fewell gets consistent pressure, ie the Jets game, his defense looks great too. I don't care who the coordinator is, our defensive line will make them look great or like a goat. Dont forget that we had much better linebacker play as well. Pierce was the QB of the defense and made SURE EVERY1 was on the same page. Pierce even had Reggie Torbor looking like a capable starter.</P>

True, but Fewell is SUPPOSED to have a better secondary than Spags had. Even last year the secondary was letting up too many big plays with Web, TT, Phillips and Rolle. </P>

And Spags helped get us to 12-4 the year after the SB with Strahan having retired and Osi out for the entire year.</P>

I feel that I have ripped Fewell too much on the boards and I agree that the Giants have just been decimated by injuries, but Spags over Fewell is still a no-brainer IMO.</P>

jhamburg
12-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Cofield > Canty
Robbins > Joseph

It's kind of a chicken-and-egg scenario though isn't it? I mean obviously if your scheme isn't working, the team isn't going to look like a bunch of superstars.

Honestly I think our whole secondary was bad talent-wise in 2007 but the strength of our defense as a whole covered it up.

buddy33
12-27-2011, 01:23 PM
It's funny because the Rams have so many injuries this year, especially to their secondary, and it has been mentioned by the media as well. Yet when PF is mentioned no one seems to want to remember all the injuries his unit had in the secondary, the loss of Goff, Sintim, and Austin. Also Tuck just seems to be getting healthy for the 1st time this year.

BurnerNYG
12-27-2011, 01:28 PM
It's funny because the Rams have so many injuries this year, especially to their secondary, and it has been mentioned by the media as well. Yet when PF is mentioned no one seems to want to remember all the injuries his unit had in the secondary, the loss of Goff, Sintim, and Austin. Also Tuck just seems to be getting healthy for the 1st time this year.What the hell has Sintim and Austin ever done. We lost Goff and I agree, I thought that was a big blow. Besides that, we lost TT(big loss) and some other guys that you can find on a couch somewhere. J Williams is filling in nicely and although Ross gave up some big plays, he also MADE some plays where most of us thought that he would be buried deep on the depth chart.

NY_Eli
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
The injuries were very bad at the beginning of the year, but honestly I think right now we're in better shape than a lot of other teams.

The giants have been able to stay relatively healthy since about midseason, and I think a lot of other teams have caught up to them injury-wise.

At this point in the season it's expected to have some starters hurt.

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Bottomline is the players dont look like they believe in this scheme... Yoiu can just tell...

buddy33
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
It's funny because the Rams have so many injuries this year, especially to their secondary, and it has been mentioned by the media as well. Yet when PF is mentioned no one seems to want to remember all the injuries his unit had in the secondary, the loss of Goff, Sintim, and Austin. Also Tuck just seems to be getting healthy for the 1st time this year.What the hell has Sintim and Austin ever done. We lost Goff and I agree, I thought that was a big blow. Besides that, we lost TT(big loss) and some other guys that you can find on a couch somewhere. J Williams is filling in nicely and although Ross gave up some big plays, he also MADE some plays where most of us thought that he would be buried deep on the depth chart.

Carl Banks said Sintim was coming along this summer and at least he ha the playbook for a couple years. Austin is an explosive player. No, we don't know what he would have done, but he was a second round pick and I'm sure they expected him to contribute some how. Ross for all we know would have been maybe the 5th CB had TT, Whitherspoon, and Prince not been injured.

DelawareGiants
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Spags is a much better motivational coach and also is much better at adjusting things during game than Fewell IMO. Guys love playing for Spags and he is a great teacher- I don't see that inspiration in Fewell.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Sorry but this is nonsense lol

Spags would be our savior.. the talent we have with this personnel is down right silly with potential, regardless of injuries.

stormblue
12-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Bottomline is the players dont look like they believe in this scheme... Yoiu can just tell...

i don't know if they believe in it or not.....

but i can tell that they don't understand it.

they are always confused and out of position.

2 guys covering one receiver while another receiver runs around free as bird.

gap and lane assignments are pure chaos.

burier
12-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Seriously???

The fact that Spags would have enough sense to rush more than 3 when he knows our guys can't cover makes him an upgrade on Fewell.

And how can we even debate the front 4 when fewell only uses 3 of them so often?

gumby742
12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
funny how people think our team was a good one in 2007 just because we got hot at the right time.

Spags had crap players to work with in 2007. Even less in 2008. Should we go over the players? Butler, Johnson, Dockery, etc. At LBers, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and .. AP who was average at best.

Canty + Joseph vs Robbings and Coefield is pretty much a wash ..with a slight edge going to one or the other. Not very significant.

Not to mention, Fewell has Osi, Tuck, AND JPP this year. JPP is a monster.

Oh and his Ram defense with their pathetic talent level is rated higher then ours.

plc
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Why do we always look for someone else ? Fewell and his players are capable of moving on.Maybe we might not win SB but I guarantee we will compete.There is not one team in NFL that wants to play against us now.I will say the media knows this about TC.We will give the cowboys a beat down and then we are in this thing to win and that includes beating GB or NO in there own houses.Go Big Blue

burier
12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
funny how people think our team was a good one in 2007 just because we got hot at the right time.

Spags had crap players to work with in 2007. Even less in 2008. Should we go over the players? Butler, Johnson, Dockery, etc. At LBers, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and .. AP who was average at best.

Canty + Joseph vs Robbings and Coefield is pretty much a wash ..with a slight edge going to one or the other. Not very significant.

Oh and his Ram defense with their pathetic talent level is rated higher then ours.

first of all this "Hot at the right time" stuff is something ESPN invented to expain away their picks against the Giants throught those entire playoffs AND to undermind our accomplishment. You repeating it makes you sound like a whishy washy fan and a horrendous lemming.

Getting hot might work in Craps or maybe in a three point shootout. In the NFL you have to bring it every week. It has nothing to do with getting hot.

And of course we think the 2007 team was good. That team WON THE SUPERBOWL! Not only were we good but we were the best team in the league.

Also I'll admit that AP didn't make another sig nificant play in his career but that stop in Green Bay was far better than Average.

You're reachin.

bg79
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Right now I'd take any defensive coordinator who won't constantly rush 3 and play in soft zones all game long. Fewell is just not Giants football to me, I want a team that dictates the game not a read and react garbage scheme that Fewell runs.

Firenugget
12-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I still can't understand why anyone thinks he'll come back here or Philly....Why in the world (if you were him...Put on your Spags hat) would you want to step back into any situation where anything less than a dominant defense will be looked upon as an utter failure?

I think not folks. My money is on him finding fresh ground.

NYSPORTS
12-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I still can't understand why anyone thinks he'll come back here or Philly....Why in the world (if you were him...Put on your Spags hat) would you want to step back into any situation where anything less than a dominant defense will be looked upon as an utter failure?

When you get canned from St. Louis I'd say any situation is better. Considering the age of Coughlin, I'd say NY is the better choice.

Gianthunter
12-27-2011, 06:57 PM
funny how people think our team was a good one in 2007 just because we got hot at the right time. Spags had crap players to work with in 2007. Even less in 2008. Should we go over the players? Butler, Johnson, Dockery, etc. At LBers, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and .. AP who was average at best. Canty + Joseph vs Robbings and Coefield is pretty much a wash ..with a slight edge going to one or the other. Not very significant. Not to mention, Fewell has Osi, Tuck, AND JPP this year. JPP is a monster. Oh and his Ram defense with their pathetic talent level is rated higher then ours.Crap = Osi Tuck and Strahan. Not to mention awwwwwwww hell never mind<FONT color=#ff0000>. We have to much talent.</FONT>

Firenugget
12-27-2011, 07:04 PM

When you get canned from St. Louis I'd say any situation is better. Considering the age of Coughlin, I'd say NY is the better choice.

I understand that part and yeah, it would be a good move from our perspective "right now". But what happens when this D doesn't improve and everyone turns on him? You can't honestly say that can't happen...In fact, it most likely would happen.

But don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to have him back, myself.

gumby742
12-28-2011, 12:04 AM
funny how people think our team was a good one in 2007 just because we got hot at the right time. Spags had crap players to work with in 2007. Even less in 2008. Should we go over the players? Butler, Johnson, Dockery, etc. At LBers, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and .. AP who was average at best. Canty + Joseph vs Robbings and Coefield is pretty much a wash ..with a slight edge going to one or the other. Not very significant. Not to mention, Fewell has Osi, Tuck, AND JPP this year. JPP is a monster. Oh and his Ram defense with their pathetic talent level is rated higher then ours.Crap = Osi Tuck and Strahan. Not to mention awwwwwwww hell never mind<FONT color=#ff0000>. We have to much talent.*</FONT>

try 2008 when statistically they were even better. You mention osi, tuck and strahan - what about the rest of the defense?? Yes. we have a lot more talent now then in 2007 and 2008.

In 2007, we were FAR from a good consistent team. A few games before the end of the season, we were cursing ourselves and our team all over again. Or did people forget all that after we won the SB. For all intensive purposes we DID get hot at the right time. No way did our regular season indicate that we'd play the way we did during the post season. We came out of nowhere.

gumby742
12-28-2011, 12:07 AM

first of all this "Hot at the right time" stuff is something ESPN invented to expain away their picks against the Giants throught those entire playoffs AND to undermind our accomplishment. You repeating it makes you sound like a whishy washy fan and a horrendous lemming.

Getting hot might work in Craps or maybe in a three point shootout. In the NFL you have to bring it every week. It has nothing to do with getting hot.

And of course we think the 2007 team was good. That team WON THE SUPERBOWL! Not only were we good but we were the best team in the league.

Also I'll admit that AP didn't make another sig nificant play in his career but that stop in Green Bay was far better than Average.

You're reachin.

At least you're consistent. You have blinders on for everything Giants. Maybe I'm just a buzzkill, but whatever. Rethink how we were feeling a few games before the end of the season in 2007. It was a lot of "here we go again" and not knowing what kind of team we actually had. Very few people had confidence that would had a SB calibre team that year.

There was nothing during the regular season in 2007 that would indicate that we would play the way we did during the post season. Like i said in a previous post, we came out of nowhere and shocked the world. That's the truth and that's how the media reacted.

Let's not pretend that we were a great team going in. In 2008, we were a great team. 2007 no way.

lawl
12-28-2011, 12:11 AM
funny how people think our team was a good one in 2007 just because we got hot at the right time. Spags had crap players to work with in 2007. Even less in 2008. Should we go over the players? Butler, Johnson, Dockery, etc. At LBers, Danny Clark, Chase Blackburn, and .. AP who was average at best. Canty + Joseph vs Robbings and Coefield is pretty much a wash ..with a slight edge going to one or the other. Not very significant. Not to mention, Fewell has Osi, Tuck, AND JPP this year. JPP is a monster. Oh and his Ram defense with their pathetic talent level is rated higher then ours.Crap = Osi Tuck and Strahan. Not to mention awwwwwwww hell never mind<FONT color=#ff0000>. We have to much talent.*</FONT>

Osi was out for the year in 08 and strahan was retired.

We had Clark AP and kehl at linebacker.

Butler and Johnson at safety.

This thread is bogus. The talent level now is better than it was in 08.

hungrrrry
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Cofield > Canty
Robbins > Joseph

I don't care who the coordinator is, our defensive line will make them look great or like a goat.Spags had the defenses' attention and they wanted to play for him. I rarely see any players over talking to Fewell unless he goes and talks to them...this is likely because Fewell doesn't have the players back. He has basicly exhonerated himself with the media saying the team needs to play harder with more intensity...this is possible, but he never says...I could do better on my play-calling which is the kind of thing that galvanizes a team...in this case they are drifting away from him. Fewell may actually be smart, defensively, but the way he functions as a DC may be the problem.

Myself...a simple defense allows for more intensity so these guys can play relentless ball. Ask dumb people to think like architects will get you a shanty-town...don't make the defense think too much. The more they focus on a single solution (destroy your man and/or his assignment), the more effective they can be...ask them to diagnose the offenses play in a few seconds and then defend it in that time span spells disaster...also known as a "read and react" style of defense. That scheming just builds in a DC's excuse for not succeeding.
Spags goes for it all and it shows

T-Murda84
12-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Osi was out for the year in 08 and strahan was retired.

We had Clark AP and kehl at linebacker.

Butler and Johnson at safety.

This thread is bogus. The talent level now is better than it was in 08.

In 08 we had a great running game to take the pressure off the defense. This year we have absolutely no running game and quick, explosive scores from the passing game. That puts a lot of pressure on Fewell's defense. Last year silly turnovers on offense, put Fewell's defense in bad field position most of the time.

burier
12-28-2011, 11:12 AM

You're reachin.

At least you're consistent. You have blinders on for everything Giants. Maybe I'm just a buzzkill, but whatever. Rethink how we were feeling a few games before the end of the season in 2007. It was a lot of "here we go again" and not knowing what kind of team we actually had. Very few people had confidence that would had a SB calibre team that year.

There was nothing during the regular season in 2007 that would indicate that we would play the way we did during the post season. Like i said in a previous post, we came out of nowhere and shocked the world. That's the truth and that's how the media reacted.

Let's not pretend that we were a great team going in. In 2008, we were a great team. 2007 no way.

First I want to point out that in 07 the Giants were not hot. They were just better. If heat had anything to do with it I'm sure the Pats would have hoisted the trophy that year as 18 NFL wins in row has to be the definition of....hot.

It has nothing to do with blinders. I didn't think we'd win the SB that year....but we did and I was wrong. I didn't think the Giants were the best team in the NFL that year but they were and I was wrong.

Giants fan or not in football there is but one way to determine who the better team is and that's on the field of play.

The fact that you or I couldn't predict what the Giants would do makes there's accomplishment no less commendable.

The problem is analysts and fans like you have what I call the "I refuse to admit that I don't know what I'm talking about syndrome"

It's the same syndrome that makes people like you act like the Giants took performance enhancing drugs to win the SB.

It's the same syndrome that makes people like you pretend that suddenly Mike Vick became a great pocket passer

It's The same syndrome that makes people like you pretend Eli prayed to our lord JAYsus to become a better Quarterback this season.

Its all born out of the fact that you cant just say "I WAS WRONG"

The Giants were a much better team in 07 than I thought they were. "I was wrong"

"Mike Vick didn't need to become a pure pocket passer he just needed WRs who get open and catch and a coach who will let him do his thing "I WAS WRONG"

Eli isn't a second rate QB. I just can't stand the fact that he's Peyton's little brother and was applying an unjust bias to his performance. "I WAS WRONG"

its that simple