PDA

View Full Version : Andre Brown signed tender?

UKAnt14
03-13-2013, 02:31 PM
According to this on the Giants website anyway...

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Latest-updates-on-the-2013-Free-Agents/c1f39840-9b2d-4984-b865-5a87ceb4036c

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Good news as I can see him getting the larger share of the load with Wilson at the start of the season

TheShouldersOf
03-13-2013, 02:52 PM
i would rather Brown be utilized as a back-up only, and to spell Wilson if he needs a rest, other than that, no thank you

Toadofsteel
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
i would rather Brown be utilized as a back-up only, and to spell Wilson if he needs a rest, other than that, no thank you

?? He had a great season going last year before getting injured. I don't get why you think he should be backup-only. 50-50 on carries with wilson would be great.

Are you thinking of Da'Rel Scott? He's still under his rookie contract...

Jahh
03-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Really? He was pretty good this past year.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Brown had a great season before being injured. He is not the best blocker, but he's better that Wilson was. That can change, but until it does.....

timmytimm3
03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Really? He was pretty good this past year.

This. Andre ran strong, didn't dance, and followed his blockers. If he didn't break his leg (fluke injury) we may have won some of those must needed games at the end of the season. Brown and Wilson is a great 1-2 punch.

45Jones
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Some good pop to his running, seems like a nice kid too. Hope he can have a bunch of Carolina-like games...

GiantsFootball1
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Great news. I just hope he can stay healthy this year.

TheShouldersOf
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Because if it's Wilson Versus Brown Wilson Wins, he not only has more potential, has a bigger skill set of abilities, why would you rather go with someone who is an average running back when you can go with someone who is explosive, it seems like settling for second best just because,

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Because if it's Wilson Versus Brown Wilson Wins, he not only has more potential, has a bigger skill set of abilities, why would you rather go with someone who is an average running back when you can go with someone who is explosive, it seems like settling for second best just because,

Wilson is not better at making his reads and blocking than Brown. It's not going to be one vs the other. Theya re going to get back to a two back system which is best for everyone concerned. Brown is not an average back, at least he wasn't last season. He displayed patience in waiting for developing blocks which Bradshaw didn't. Wilson will likely be the long term RB but he needs to excel at more than running.

Before Bradshaw injured his knee last season, he was the # 1 blocking RB in the NFL.

TheShouldersOf
03-13-2013, 03:19 PM
i've never been a fan of a Two Back System, and it's been proven it's unneeded, to give a guy a couple snaps to breath/rest, indeed that is a given, but a predetermined split Two Back system personally is rubbish regardless of what past statistics have shown,

Wilson's carries were so sporadic until the last couple of games, plus probably getting limited number of first team practice reps limited his relationship with the Offensive line, and timing, and no doubt he has things to improve on, i've never disputed that either, he only started his first college season the year before he got drafted

what i'm saying is Brown is Average and not as explosive as Wilson, a short yard back at best and a backup

i can't find the ranking of pass blocking Running Backs for 2012, but i've never disputed Bradshaw was in the top 5 blockers,

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
i've never been a fan of a Two Back System, and it's been proven it's unneeded, to give a guy a couple snaps to breath/rest, indeed that is a given, but a predetermined split Two Back system personally is rubbish regardless of what past statistics have shown,

Wilson's carries were so sporadic until the last couple of games, plus probably getting limited number of first team practice reps limited his relationship with the Offensive line, and timing, and no doubt he has things to improve on, i've never disputed that either, he only started his first college season the year before he got drafted

what i'm saying is Brown is Average and not as explosive as Wilson, a short yard back at best and a backup

i can't find the ranking of pass blocking Running Backs for 2012, but i've never disputed Bradshaw was in the top 5 blockers,

We are all entitled to our opinions. Brown did not play "average" last season before his injury. The team thought enough of his production that they put him on short term IR in case we made the playoffs.

NewConvert
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM

If that's the case Wilson would have been the backup to Bradshaw last season...Yes, Wilson has a ridiculous skill set but...If he's not reading his blocks, looking to bounce outside instead of letting the play develop or missing blocking assignments he's just a really fast back who can cut on a dime...Just because you're drafted in the first round does not mean you automatically start...I'm excited about the upcoming season...Brown and Wilson will compliment each other well on the field...One back systems are a thing of the past (unless the rb is Adrian Peterson)

NewConvert
03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Brown is far from average...A couple injuries and being bounced around poisoned the minds of those who haven't followed Brown throughout his football career...I can put up a few stats that would open some eyes.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Brown is far from average...A couple injuries and being bounced around poisoned the minds of those who haven't followed Brown throughout his football career...I can put up a few stats that would open some eyes.

I had my eyes opened when he was on the field in 2012.

Toadofsteel
03-13-2013, 03:57 PM
If that's the case Wilson would have been the backup to Bradshaw last season...Yes, Wilson has a ridiculous skill set but...If he's not reading his blocks, looking to bounce outside instead of letting the play develop or missing blocking assignments he's just a really fast back who can cut on a dime...Just because you're drafted in the first round does not mean you automatically start...I'm excited about the upcoming season...Brown and Wilson will compliment each other well on the field...One back systems are a thing of the past (unless the rb is Adrian Peterson)

This. Even guys like Ray Rice, MJD, and Frank Gore need backups.

AGiantDynasty
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
?? He had a great season going last year before getting injured. I don't get why you think he should be backup-only. 50-50 on carries with wilson would be great.

Are you thinking of Da'Rel Scott? He's still under his rookie contract...

2 ACL tears are reason enough to not wanna overload his carries. Its just not smart.

bbdynasty
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Brown had a higher ypc than wilson last year, like 5.4 i think? certainly well above average

Toadofsteel
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
2 ACL tears are reason enough to not wanna overload his carries. Its just not smart.

15-20 carries a game isn't too much for Brown (and if we're running more than 40 times a game, either we are blowing them out, or something bad has happened like Eli Manning got injured). He certainly handled that workload last year before his injury (which was high ankle iirc, not ACL). Besides, Hixon has proven that you can come back from two ACL injuries and still do something...

BlueJayC
03-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Am I just missing it.....don't see anything on the link......

NewConvert
03-13-2013, 04:10 PM

He never tore his acl...ruptured achilles and the broken fibula...both freak injuries...I don't anticipate Brown getting the bulk of the carries all season...He's a very productive back when his carries are in the 15-20 range

BlueSanta
03-13-2013, 04:13 PM
TC likes his 2 back system.

AB + BJ
BJ + Ward
Tiki + BJ(short yardage)

It doesnt matter how starts or who backs up.

Captain Chaos
03-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Excellent news, I really liked that guy!

titwio
03-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Brown was excellent on the goal line last year. 8 TD's on only 73 att's for the year?....that pretty darn solid for his limited action. He's a perfect compliment to Wilson IMO where he's really good in short yards and distance and very good at catching the ball out of the backfield (haven't seen him have a drop yet).

If he can stay healthy Wilson/Brown could end up being one of the better duo's in the NFL IMO. Like I said, they just seem to compliment each others skillsets really well. Hopefully Brown becomes a better blocker this offseason.

nygpolishpunk
03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
15-20 carries a game isn't too much for Brown (and if we're running more than 40 times a game, either we are blowing them out, or something bad has happened like Eli Manning got injured). He certainly handled that workload last year before his injury (which was high ankle iirc, not ACL). Besides, Hixon has proven that you can come back from two ACL injuries and still do something...

Broken fibula, not ACL, not high ankle... this was something completely random and not his fault

river555
03-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Im in favor of keeping Brown around and see what he can do but lets not get carried away. He turns 27 this year and has 75 career carries. last year he had a couple of good games and did a nice job on short yardage situations. But by no means his is a starter. Wilson is by far the better RB. I wouldnt even be surprised of some young RB we draft or bring in as a rookie FA beats him out.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
He never tore his acl...ruptured achilles and the broken fibula...both freak injuries...I don't anticipate Brown getting the bulk of the carries all season...He's a very productive back when his carries are in the 15-20 range

15-20 carries a game would be the "bulk of the carries".

How often do you think we run?!

I'd imagine it will be healthy split between Wilson and Brown (at least at the beginning).

P.S. Achilles injuries are always troubling (and lingering). Broken bones are broken bones (barring a Theisman situation).

Toadofsteel
03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Broken fibula, not ACL, not high ankle... this was something completely random and not his fault

Oh right... derp... forgot about the 2 pages of fibula threads.At least I identified the correct part of the body...

Toadofsteel
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
15-20 carries a game would be the "bulk of the carries".

How often do you think we run?!

I'd imagine it will be healthy split between Wilson and Brown (at least at the beginning).

P.S. Achilles injuries are always troubling (and lingering). Broken bones are broken bones (barring a Theisman situation).

I'd see 50-50 between the two. And I know TC wants to get back to about 50-50 run/pass, so you'd have to imagine up to 15 carries for each back (though realistically less for each, and even fewer if a 3rd back gets into the mix), especially if we pull ahead and want to kill clock.

NewConvert
03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Im in favor of keeping Brown around and see what he can do but lets not get carried away. He turns 27 this year and has 75 career carries. last year he had a couple of good games and did a nice job on short yardage situations. But by no means his is a starter. Wilson is by far the better RB. I wouldnt even be surprised of some young RB we draft or bring in as a rookie FA beats him out.

Last year was pretty much Brown's rookie season...He's gone over 20 carries three times throughout high school and college combined and has a lot of tread left on his tires...I'm assuming you're saying Wilson is the better back because he had a few long td runs?...Running untouched in open space does not make you a better back, starter or elite...They both bring something different to the table when they're in the game...Personally I can't wait to see what the duo will do in the backfield this season...If a drafted/undrafted rookie beat Brown for a spot on the roster, I will buy season tickets for you this year... As fans we should be excited about entering camp with healthy backs...That means we should have great competition come spring/summer

DVision
03-14-2013, 02:42 PM

How do you figure Wilson has a "bigger skill set..." than Brown? Brown has soft hands and was touted as a good receiving back out of college, while Wilson's hands are garbage and he's a body catcher.