PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap space

DaveBrown
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
I know the Super Bowl is not won in March, and I know it's become blasphemy to criticize Reese after 2 Lombardi trophies (rightly so), but why are the Giants always in cap hell? If the Patriots throw a poison pill like a front loaded roster bonus along with their 29th overall pick for Cruz, no way the Giants could match. Nicks and Cruz perfectly complement one another, and it really would hurt the offense if Cruz is lost, far more so than Bennett, although wish he was re-signed too. That's the problem with no cap space year after year. The Pats have like 20 million in cap space with a solid roster, so it's too bad the front office has trouble managing the cap.

ibbill
03-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I know the Super Bowl is not won in March, and I know it's become blasphemy to criticize Reese after 2 Lombardi trophies (rightly so), but why are the Giants always in cap hell? If the Patriots throw a poison pill like a front loaded roster bonus along with their 29th overall pick for Cruz, no way the Giants could match. Nicks and Cruz perfectly complement one another, and it really would hurt the offense if Cruz is lost, far more so than Bennett, although wish he was re-signed too. That's the problem with no cap space year after year. The Pats have like 20 million in cap space with a solid roster, so it's too bad the front office has trouble managing the cap.

Then again New England have not won a super bowl since 2005 so not sure the way they handle the cap is all that great.You do have a great point about the cap really can get on our nerves as fans.

Tommy_Ribs
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM

A few items to consider:
() We are not in cap hell.
() We have Cap Room
() You can no longer put poison pills into RFA Tender Sheets per the last collective bargaining agreement
() You can't keep everybody
() This is why draft and undrafted FA are still so important
() If we lose Cruz we get a first round pick

The GIANTS have played this perfectly.

gmen46
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Since it's clear the Pats are reluctant to sign a large sum deal with Welker--who's been their most productive and valuable WR by far, over the last 6 years (slot or otherwise), and who's shown he still has gas in the tank for at least a couple more years--which would involve only money, why do you think they would want to sign Cruz for big money and their first rd pick? Makes no business sense, and along with everything else, the Pats have shown they make very few business mistakes.

moosedrool
03-13-2013, 06:51 PM
When you give players like Rolle and Baas huge contracts, you end up in cap hell. Plus we have a franchise QB with a huge cap number.

DaveBrown
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't know much about RFA but was listening to Pat Kirwan on Sirius driving home. He said the Pats could do a roster bonus vs a signing bonus. The roster bonus, say 6 million, is a cap hit up front vs a signing bonus which would be spread throughout the contract. With 1.5 million left and more restructuring before the draft, the Giants wouldn't be able to match in that scenario.

Tommy_Ribs
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know much about RFA but was listening to Pat Kirwan on Sirius driving home. He said the Pats could do a roster bonus vs a signing bonus. The roster bonus, say 6 million, is a cap hit up front vs a signing bonus which would be spread throughout the contract. With 1.5 million left and more restructuring before the draft, the Giants wouldn't be able to match in that scenario.

Right, that's not a poison pill, that is front loading the contract, which is different.

We'll see what happens. The Pats have options that don't cost them their first round pick, including Danny Amendola.

Redeyejedi
03-13-2013, 07:12 PM
U will not have a sustainable roster if U go wild in FA every season. The draft is the best way to build your team. Take a look at the last few Giant big money FA's have any lived up to their deal. Canty,Rolle , Baas but lets get more of those guys good plan
Draft and secondary FA's = Sustainable roster.

U guys realize the cap isnt a 1 year proposition the moves that are on the cap now won the Giants a Super Bowl in 2011. If they can just get through this season they will have cap space next year. They keep Manningham ,Bennett and whoever else maybe they dont keep JPP. The guys they have let go are about the future cap as well

DaveBrown
03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
U will not have a sustainable roster if U go wild in FA every season. The draft is the best way to build your team. Take a look at the last few Giant big money FA's have any lived up to their deal. Canty,Rolle , Baas but lets get more of those guys good plan
Draft and secondary FA's = Sustainable roster

Cap room to re-sign Boothe & Phillips, keep Bennett etc vs a Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green, Dave Thomas, or Lavar Arrington yes

pino
03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
It's really not just the Giants. Every team is feeling the cap this year thanks to the new CBA, hence so many big name cuts.

Also, if you looked at the teams that had the most cap space when FA started, you would have found horrible and desperate teams. That is not a coincidence.

pino
03-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Cap room to re-sign Boothe & Phillips, keep Bennett etc vs a Carlos Emmons, Barrett Green, Dave Thomas, or Lavar Arrington yes

Boothe, yes. Phillips can be replaced easily, and we only need a TE that can block (in Pope I trust). Emmons, Green, Thomas, Arrington were bad pick ups, but we we also had very good ones that came very cheap. I'd put up our free agent acquisitions against any other team and you will see that we did about as well as any team could over the years.