PDA

View Full Version : Patriots signed Amendola - Probably out of mix for Cruz

Tommy_Ribs
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Pats signed Amendola to a 5 year deal worth $31 million

Details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/patriots-danny-amendola-agree-to-five-year-31-million-deal/#respond

jomo
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM

Details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/patriots-danny-amendola-agree-to-five-year-31-million-deal/#respond That thud you just heard was Cruz' market value. ;)

Drez
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Most importantly, the market has been set. $6m/yr. Let's say Cruz is more explosive, so he might be in line to get closer to $7m/yr.

Ruttiger711
03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Good news indeed.

7yr/50mil - just over half guaranteed for Cruz sounding more fair? 6/44 even?

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 08:48 PM
That thud you just heard was Cruz' market value. ;)

This is what free agency does. Although I bet Condon can make an argument that Cruz is a superior player to Amendola who has played sparingly of late. It may well be, when all is said and done, the Giants' original offer is better than we think.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Most importantly, the market has been set. $6m/yr. Let's say Cruz is more explosive, so he might be in line to get closer to $7m/yr.

I don't agree that the market is set by one signing of a player who has played sparingly over two years. Let's see what the average is for a few players.

Drez
03-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Good news indeed.

7yr/50mil - just over half guaranteed for Cruz sounding more fair? 6/44 even?Cruz is 26, I'd be surprised if we go longer than 5 years. 6 is a possibility, but I don't think likely unless he has a huge signing bonus that they want to stretch another year.

Honestly, I see the value at being closer to $6.5m-$6.75m a year, unless the FO truly thinks another team might threaten for him.

Ruttiger711
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
This is what free agency does. Although I bet Condon can make an argument that Cruz is a superior player to Amendola who has played sparingly of late. It may well be, when all is said and done, the Giants' original offer is better than we think.

But can he say the same of Welker?

Flip Empty
I don't agree that the market is set by one signing of a player who has played sparingly over two years. Let's see what the average is for a few players.
Welker received similar.

Drez
I don't agree that the market is set by one signing of a player who has played sparingly over two years. Let's see what the average is for a few players.Both Welker and Amendola got $6m/yr contracts. Seeing as those two, along with Cruz, are considered the cream of the crop for slot guys, I'd say it's a pretty fair assessment of Cruz' market value.

Ruttiger711
03-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Cruz is 26, I'd be surprised if we go longer than 5 years. 6 is a possibility, but I don't think likely unless he has a huge signing bonus that they want to stretch another year.

Honestly, I see the value at being closer to $6.5m-$6.75m a year, unless the FO truly thinks another team might threaten for him.

I think its going to be either a deal of 6 years or no more than 3 so Cruz can pursue yet another payday before hitting 30.

UKAnt14
Do people think we'll negotiate for a long-term deal this year? Surely we're better off seeing out this tender and working on a deal throughout next year? If somebody comes in, we take a hit and just match it...

RoanokeFan
But can he say the same of Welker?

Welker played more than Amendola did I am pretty sure. I don't know what he signed for.

giantsfam04
5 yrs 40 mil 15-20 guaranteed

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Do people think we'll negotiate for a long-term deal this year? Surely we're better off seeing out this tender and working on a deal throughout next year? If somebody comes in, we take a hit and just match it...

They have already offered Cruz a long term deal.

byron
03-13-2013, 08:54 PM
That thud you just heard was Cruz' market value. ;) christ, Amendola, from what I've read has junk knees....seems crazy to me....Welker just signed 12 mil for two years...makes no sence to me

Flip Empty
Welker played more than Amendola did I am pretty sure. I don't know what he signed for.
2 years/$12 million

DaFrenchy
Dammit Cruz ! Open your eyes and accept that contrat.

Drez
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Do people think we'll negotiate for a long-term deal this year? Surely we're better off seeing out this tender and working on a deal throughout next year? If somebody comes in, we take a hit and just match it...If we can lock him up long term, it's best to do it now rather than later.

UKAnt14
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
They have already offered Cruz a long term deal.

I see, thanks!

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 08:59 PM
2 years/$12 million

Thanks. Now we have two players one of whom hasn't play a lot in two years and Welker who is on the downside of his career with neither signing for more than two years? If this trend continues, then we have market value and Condon will get a deal done. Assuming the people IN the NFL know things we don't, I think Reese and Mara had enough information available to them to know what the market value would be give or take $1M. This would make sense out of Mara's saying "we have the wherewithal to match most offers."

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 08:59 PM
Dammit Cruz ! Open your eyes and accept that contrat.

Why do you think he has changed agents? I think John Mara's public comments did just that.

I see Condon getting Cruz a little more than either of these two and inlcuding some lucrative incentives with a significant guarantee.

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
christ, Amendola, from what I've read has junk knees....seems crazy to me....Welker just signed 12 mil for two years...makes no sence to me
It's not his knees... it's everything. Amendola doesn't discriminate.

He came inches away from dying on the field last season...

Hooligans
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

Details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/patriots-danny-amendola-agree-to-five-year-31-million-deal/#respond

St Louis Rams now in the hunt for Cruz....remember, they have 2 first round draft choices!

jomo
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
christ, Amendola, from what I've read has junk knees....seems crazy to me....Welker just signed 12 mil for two years...makes no sence to meWe're not the only ones with budgetary constraints. That's it in a nut shell.

giantsfan420
he'll make 6 mil a yr salary, but with the bonus allocated over the contract, it will be like 8 mil really. pretty much the numbers i thought from the start. Bowe, Harvin, Garcon even are all a diff type of wr than cruz. while cruz is better than amendola, and prob even welker at this point, he fits more of their mold at wr, so i expect him to make a bit more. and thatd be fair to both sides imo.

jomo
St Louis Rams now in the hunt for Cruz....remember, they have 2 first round draft choices!Who ever launched a clothing line from St. Louis?

UKAnt14
03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Just a quick question guys - if we match an offer sheet from another team, do we automatically keep him or can Cruz still choose?!

Carter.525
03-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Who ever launched a clothing line from St. Louis?

the Kurt Warner line..:rolleyes:

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks. Now we have two players one of whom hasn't play a lot in two years and Welker who is on the downside of his career with neither signing for more than two years? If this trend continues, then we have market value and Condon will get a deal done. Assuming the people IN the NFL know things we don't, I think Reese and Mara had enough information available to them to know what the market value would be give or take $1M. This would make sense out of Mara's saying "we have the wherewithal to match most offers."Amendola's contract was for 5 years. Only $10m guaranteed.

RoanokeFan
Just a quick question guys - if we match an offer sheet from another team, do we automatically keep him or can Cruz still choose?!

If Reese matches Cruz stays

Drez
Just a quick question guys - if we match an offer sheet from another team, do we automatically keep him or can Cruz still choose?!We keep him.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Amendola's contract was for 5 years. Only $10m guaranteed.

Ahhhh, I missed that, sorry. I could see Cruz 6years/$40-42M/15-20 guaranteed and some performance incentives, hard to reach but lucrative if reached. He clearly has better potential than either Amendola or Welker

UKAnt14
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
If Reese matches Cruz stays

We keep him.

Cheers guys!

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks. Now we have two players one of whom hasn't play a lot in two years and Welker who is on the downside of his career with neither signing for more than two years?
Amendola signed for five years.

As for Welker being on the downside... while physically you could say that's true, his production hasn't tailed off at all. He's still very much an elite at his position.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Amendola signed for five years.

As for Welker being on the downside... while physically you could say that's true, his production hasn't tailed off at all. He's still very much an elite at his position.

With Brady

jomo
03-13-2013, 09:10 PM
the Kurt Warner line..:rolleyes:His wife launched a line of hair products didn't she?

The tide is moving our way with Cruz.

mommy2dylan
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
at least the parameters are set ..... he's not Megatron or Fritty so he's not worth 10 million a year .... and with these 2 signings the basement is 6 million .... so lets see ....

TheIncredibleErk
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
This is good news for us. Cruz was expecting $10 million a year, he was expecting to make #1 reciever money, and the sad truth is, hes no #1. $10 million a year plus is for the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, and Calvin Johnson, that are double and trippled teamed and still have 100 catches a year for 1500 yards.

Hope this brings Cruz back down to earth, and I dont think teams will lose their #1 pick and break the bank for him. I think he will return, and realize where home is.

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
With Brady

Going from Brady to Peyton is like swapping a Lamborghini for a Ferrari.

GiantSteps13
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Try telling Cruz that. Maybe he doesn't consider himself a slot receiver. Maybe he thinks he can be a number 1 and play outside. He has done it with us. He plays inside and outside.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Going from Brady to Peyton is like swapping a Lamborghini for a Ferrari.

But when Cruz leaves he'll suck without Eli lol

MattyD21
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Heres the thing now St. Louis has a hole and two 1st round draft pics

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
With Condon as his agent, this should now become an easier process.

GiantSteps13
03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Try telling Cruz that. Maybe he doesn't consider himself a slot receiver. Maybe he thinks he can be a number 1 and play outside. He has done it with us. He plays inside and outside.

Thats weird posted this in another topic and it posted here. Ignore the comment obviously doesnt make sense her

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 09:20 PM
But when Cruz leaves he'll suck without Eli lol
Well of course, Eli is the sole reason any of his receivers are able to catch. Hell, they can't even walk when he isn't around.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:21 PM

We've gone from "teams lining up" to maybe the Rams

UKAnt14
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Jason La Canfora just tweeted that he sees NE's Julian Edelman as an ideal replacement for Amendola. I honestly can't see them spending big for Cruz, they have other areas they need to improve with their first round draft picks.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Well of course, Eli is the sole reason any of his receivers are able to catch. Hell, they can't even walk when he isn't around.

FA activity has a way of leveling the playing field. Condon can get this done even if the argument is that Cruz plays both on the outside and in the slot, which is true. I am in the minority, but I think he is effective at either. When you get to that kind of sticking point incentives can make the difference.

I believe Diehl got incentive pay for every game he played at LT as an example. PLEASE no references to Diehl sucking.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Try telling Cruz that. Maybe he doesn't consider himself a slot receiver. Maybe he thinks he can be a number 1 and play outside. He has done it with us. He plays inside and outside.Yes, he plays inside and outside for us. But, he isn't much better than just good on the outside. He makes his money, literally and figuratively, on the inside. And, it doesn't really matter how Cruz sees himself, it's how the Giants and the rest of the NFL sees him. If they see him as a slot receiver, he's going to get slot receiver contract offers.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
FA activity has a way of leveling the playing field. Condon can get this done even if the argument is that Cruz plays both on the outside and in the slot, which is true. I am in the minority, but I think he is effective at either. When you get to that kind of sticking point incentives can make the difference.

I believe Diehl got incentive pay for every game he played at LT as an example. PLEASE no references to Diehl sucking.Actually, he got an escalator for starting a certain number of games at T, not just LT.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Yes, he plays inside and outside for us. But, he isn't much better than just good on the outside. He makes his money, literally and figuratively, on the inside. And, it doesn't really matter how Cruz sees himself, it's how the Giants and the rest of the NFL sees him. If they see him as a slot receiver, he's going to get slot receiver contract offers.

I don't think he will get any offer sheets.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
We've gone from "teams lining up" to maybe the RamsI guess the Vikes are still in play, but everything I've heard says that they want to see if they can't get an UFA first.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Actually, he got an escalator for starting a certain number of games at T, not just LT.

Smarty pants

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
I guess the Vikes are still in play, but everything I've heard says that they want to see if they can't get an UFA first.

I think someone suggested Edelman (sp) for St. Louis so we may well be down to one. But, if $6M is the baseline, the Giants will keep him even if he gets a little more for playing for dog turds for two years :rolleyes:

byron
03-13-2013, 09:33 PM
It's not his knees... it's everything. Amendola doesn't discriminate.

He came inches away from dying on the field last season... yeah that's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me 31 mil for a train wreck... of coarse he'll never see all that money.....If we could get Cruz for a 6 mill a year average we would be doing good ...And I can't believe I just said that cause wrapping my head around the money some of these guys make is imposable..

AGiantDynasty
03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
This is double edged imo. Yes it makes cruz's contract cheaper but it also seems to be a better option for other teams to go after Cruz.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rams or Vikings offer him an 7-8 million a year contract now. A 1st rounder without having to break the bank for a great slot WR that can play outside if absolutely needed.

I'd jump all over Cruz now if I'm Rams or Vikes..

Even though Eli made Cruz look good (Red!), a 1st round pick and a 7million contract would be a steal imo.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Smarty pantsWell, I meant more the provision was just playing T, R or L, not just LT.

RoanokeFan
yeah that's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me 31 mil for a train wreck... of coarse he'll never see all that money.....If we could get Cruz for a 6 mill a year average we would be doing good ...And I can't believe I just said that cause wrapping my head around the money some of these guys make is imposable..

Just tell youself it's ALL OBSCENE and then it doesn't hurt as much

RoanokeFan
Well, I meant more the provision was just playing T, R or L, not just LT.

I know, just having some fun

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:37 PM
This is double edged imo. Yes it makes cruz's contract cheaper but it also seems to be a better option for other teams to go after Cruz.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rams or Vikings offer him an 7-8 million a year contract now. A 1st rounder without having to break the bank for a great slot WR that can play outside if absolutely needed.

I'd jump all over Cruz now if I'm Rams or Vikes..

Even though Eli made Cruz look good (Red!), a 1st round pick and a 7million contract would be a steal imo.

No because they won't go to $ 8 -10M so the Giants would just match

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I think someone suggested Edelman (sp) for St. Louis so we may well be down to one. But, if $6M is the baseline, the Giants will keep him even if he gets a little more for playing for dog turds for two years :rolleyes:Edleman would be a cheap alternative. Cruz would be far superior, even if they do get Edleman. But, they might be losing another WR, too. Taking a flier on Cruz might still be in their plans.

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
yeah that's what doesn't make a lot of sense to me 31 mil for a train wreck... of coarse he'll never see all that money....
I don't understand it, either. Amendola is a downgrade. That's why I think Welker could've signed with Denver out of spite. The Patriots hung him out to dry so he returned the favour. Sort of reminds me of the Vinatieri-to-the-Colts situation. Peyton is smiling once again.

Funny how the Pats have signed an ex Rams receiver two years in a row now.

speed3freak
03-13-2013, 09:43 PM
This is great news. Cruz is NOT going to get 8-10 million per.... bodes well for us.

speed3freak
03-13-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't understand it, either. Amendola is a downgrade. That's why I think Welker could've signed with Denver out of spite. The Patriots hung him out to dry so he returned the favour. Sort of reminds me of the Vinatieri-to-the-Colts situation. Peyton is smiling once again.

Funny how the Pats have signed an ex Rams receiver two years in a row now.

Its a downgrade, but only slightly. Amendola, at this point in his career, is faster and quicker than Welker. Yes he is injury prone, but ya never know, as soe of them have been freak occurrences.

RoanokeFan
Edleman would be a cheap alternative. Cruz would be far superior, even if they do get Edleman. But, they might be losing another WR, too. Taking a flier on Cruz might still be in their plans.

But with a $6M baseline, its very likely the Giants will match anything under 8, IMO

Drez
But with a $6M baseline, its very likely the Giants will match anything under 8, IMOThat's what I'm thinking as well.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:47 PM
That's what I'm thinking as well.

See, I won you over :cool:

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:49 PM
See, I won you over :cool:I've said the entire offseason that I think Cruz should get a contract between $6m-$8m/yr. The fact you agree makes me feel much more secure about that opinion, lol. :insertmissingbeermugemoticon:

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:51 PM
I've said the entire offseason that I think Cruz should get a contract between $6m-$8m/yr. The fact you agree makes me feel much more secure about that opinion, lol. :insertmissingbeermugemoticon:

When the movie on this Local Boy Makes Good comes out, you'll be cast as Reese and I'll be cast as Condon

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:52 PM
I would love to know just what it was that made Cruz dump the original agent.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:52 PM
When the movie on this Local Boy Makes Good comes out, you'll be cast as Reese and I'll be cast as CondonI'm a little pasty to be Reese, if you catch my meaning, lol.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I would love to know just what it was that made Cruz dump the original agent.When/if he comes to a deal with the Giants, it'll probably come out. I'd imagine at least one of the beats will ask.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm a little pasty to be Reese, if you catch my meaning, lol.

It is fascinating to watch this stuff unfold, even when so much actual information is missing.

AGiantDynasty
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
No because they won't go to $ 8 -10M so the Giants would just match

How could giants afford 8 mill? We have 1.5 and need 5 million for our picks. Where is this 11.5 million gonna come from?
Even if we backload, we would need at least another 8 ish million.

Say bye bye to Diehl, Tuck and Rolle if that's the case.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
It is fascinating to watch this stuff unfold, even when so much actual information is missing.It really is. I've been glued to my Twitter feed since yesterday.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
When/if he comes to a deal with the Giants, it'll probably come out. I'd imagine at least one of the beats will ask.

It could be Cruz simply trusted the guy and didn't ask about the day to day comings and goings until Mara said "wealthy young man."

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
How could giants afford 8 mill? We have 1.5 and need 5 million for our picks. Where is this 11.5 million gonna come from?

Say bye bye to Diehl, Tuck and Rolle if that's the case.Well, $2.9 is already dedicated to Cruz through his tender. Feasibly, we'd only need enough cash to cover his signing bonus.

Drez
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
It could be Cruz simply trusted the guy and didn't ask about the day to day comings and goings until Mara said "wealthy young man."That would definitely not be outside the realm of possibility.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM

They will find a way but my guess is Cruz will get very little (NFL little) "salary" in 2013 and make up for it over the rest of the contract and his signing bonus

AGiantDynasty
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM

Well, $2.9 is already dedicated to Cruz through his tender. Feasibly, we'd only need enough cash to cover his signing bonus.

Good point. I didn't consider that. We would still need to make some cuts and would create more holes to fill Diehl an either Tuck or Rolle would be cut or have to take a pay cut. We can do it, but it wouldn't be easy for us to match 8.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
That would definitely not be outside the realm of possibility.

He said last year he lets his agent handle the contract which is not as stupid as it looks/sounds. The problem comes when somehow the goal gets obscured or there is a hidden agenda.

Drez
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
He said last year he lets his agent handle the contract which is not as stupid as it looks/sounds. The problem comes when somehow the goal gets obscured or there is a hidden agenda.Yeah. It seems the agent was too intractable (for whatever reasons those may have been). I remember once Cruz saying that the two sides were very close, then nothing the rest of the year.

AGiantDynasty
03-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Who are we kidding? Cruz would suck without Eli anyway.. Eli can turn me (5'5 145lbs) into a pro bowl slot guy.. ;)

Big Red..

Drez
03-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Good point. I didn't consider that. We would still need to make some cuts and would create more holes to fill Diehl an either Tuck or Rolle would be cut or have to take a pay cut. We can do it, but it wouldn't be easy for us to match 8.Well, as far as signing our draft class, Patricia Traina is under the belief that Bradshaw and Canty (maybe) will be designated as June 1 cuts, which means that we can spread their cap hits over 2 years instead of taking it all on right now. However, we'll have to wait until then to get the cap space back.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Yeah. It seems the agent was too intractable (for whatever reasons those may have been). I remember once Cruz saying that the two sides were very close, then nothing the rest of the year.

That's what I think too. Whatever made Cruz change agents was good for everyone involved.

Drez
03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
That's what I think too. Whatever made Cruz change agents was good for everyone involved.That's my hope. I know lately it sounds like I've been harsh about Cruz, but he is a helluva receiver and I definitely want him to stay in Blue.

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 10:16 PM
That's my hope. I know lately it sounds like I've been harsh about Cruz, but he is a helluva receiver and I definitely want him to stay in Blue.

As each day goes by, since the agent issue, I see it as more likely than not.

Flip Empty
03-13-2013, 10:17 PM
It really is. I've been glued to my Twitter feed since yesterday.
It's quite ridiculous how the NFL has managed to monetise its off-season. The damn thing is a drug. It retains fan interest year-round.

DVision
03-13-2013, 10:28 PM
As each day goes by, since the agent issue, I see it as more likely than not.

I read somewhere that teams had to wait 72 hours from the time of him hiring a new agent to talk to Cruz. Which would explain the silence correct??

RoanokeFan
03-13-2013, 10:33 PM
I read somewhere that teams had to wait 72 hours from the time of him hiring a new agent to talk to Cruz. Which would explain the silence correct??

Yes, he has to wait 5 days to technically take on the new agent and then 72 hours before he can negotiate. By that time, we shold know if anyone is still in the pipeline who might give Cruz an offer sheet.

Roosevelt
03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
With Brady

I expect him to put up similar numbers with Peyton.

Drez
03-13-2013, 10:50 PM
It's quite ridiculous how the NFL has managed to monetise its off-season. The damn thing is a drug. It retains fan interest year-round.More power to them. Even though I wouldn't necessarily like it, I can understand why they want to change the offseason calendar to have at least 1 major even happen each month.

jomo
03-13-2013, 11:02 PM
I expect him to put up similar numbers with Peyton.Yep

DVision
03-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Yes, he has to wait 5 days to technically take on the new agent and then 72 hours before he can negotiate. By that time, we shold know if anyone is still in the pipeline who might give Cruz an offer sheet.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'd love to see how thick the NFL rule book is :)

B&RWarrior
03-13-2013, 11:59 PM
The Amendola signing did nothing to Cruz's market value. Amendola has compiled all of 7 TDs in a 4 year career. He's played 16 games for only 1 of those 4 years and his longest play from scrimmage is a 56 yarder.

JR: Look what Amendola got, that's about what we want for Cruz.

Condon: Amendola? Amendola! Amendola? ***in his best Jim Maura voice.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 12:06 AM
The Amendola signing did nothing to Cruz's market value. Amendola has compiled all of 7 TDs in a 4 year career. He's played 16 games for only 1 of those 4 years and his longest play from scrimmage is a 56 yarder.

He got the same level as Welker. It matters.

Drez
03-14-2013, 12:10 AM
He got the same level as Welker. It matters.Yup.

offingmoot
03-14-2013, 12:15 AM

Is it possible ghat Cruz and the giants were in on the agent change?
To keep him from getting offers for a few days, let a few other guys sign and set the market for cruz's contract?
Sounds fishy the way it went down. Why would Cruz exempt himself from the first few days of offers when they are the highest possible?

Ruttiger711
03-14-2013, 12:15 AM
The Amendola signing did nothing to Cruz's market value. Amendola has compiled all of 7 TDs in a 4 year career. He's played 16 games for only 1 of those 4 years and his longest play from scrimmage is a 56 yarder. JR: Look what Amendola got, that's about what we want for Cruz.Condon: Amendola? Amendola! Amendola? ***in his best Jim Maura voice.You're right - it didn't. Welker's sure did though.

B&RWarrior
03-14-2013, 12:52 AM
He got the same level as Welker. It matters.

Welker mattered. The most Amendola could do was set a floor for Cruz's market value. Trust me, Condon will walk through any mention of Amendola like cake.

christophermstclair
03-14-2013, 01:19 AM
The only way a team gets Cruz is by offering him a poison pill. I would bet we match any offer averaging no more than 9 mil a year but we probably end up signing him for between 7 and 8.

Neither the Vikes nor the Rams are sitting on gobs of cap room - so keep this in mind: in order to offer Cruz the deal they would need to first clear the cap space and then wait and hope. Also keep in mind that the Giants have 7 days to match, so we could essentially tie up their cap space for an entire week only to match, while at the same time having them potentially lose out on a target or two or even be forced to cut someone they might not have wanted to. That is why teams don't typically shoot for RFAs, it's a lot more risky than just throwing an offer out there

gmenfan0488
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
it's a good sign that Welker got 6mil a year. that may put Cruz and his agent at ease

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 04:33 AM
Welker mattered. The most Amendola could do was set a floor for Cruz's market value. Trust me, Condon will walk through any mention of Amendola like cake.
The floor and the ceiling are the same price. That's why it matters.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:05 AM

One signing doesn't, but when you get two or three you start to see the trend.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:06 AM
The only way a team gets Cruz is by offering him a poison pill. I would bet we match any offer averaging no more than 9 mil a year but we probably end up signing him for between 7 and 8.

Neither the Vikes nor the Rams are sitting on gobs of cap room - so keep this in mind: in order to offer Cruz the deal they would need to first clear the cap space and then wait and hope. Also keep in mind that the Giants have 7 days to match, so we could essentially tie up their cap space for an entire week only to match, while at the same time having them potentially lose out on a target or two or even be forced to cut someone they might not have wanted to. That is why teams don't typically shoot for RFAs, it's a lot more risky than just throwing an offer out there

I think they will match up to $8M but not likely higher. Condon and Reese will get a deal done.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:08 AM
it's a good sign that Welker got 6mil a year. that may put Cruz and his agent at ease

Cruz has more potential than these other guys so I look at $6M as the floor. IF he gets an offer, which I don't think will happen, I can see the the Giants matching up to $8M but no higher.

Carter.525
03-14-2013, 09:05 AM
I hear that Amendola is already "questionable" to replace Welker..

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I hear that Amendola is already "questionable" to replace Welker..

Not much of a question any more.

Drez
03-14-2013, 11:16 AM
The only way a team gets Cruz is by offering him a poison pill. I would bet we match any offer averaging no more than 9 mil a year but we probably end up signing him for between 7 and 8.Neither the Vikes nor the Rams are sitting on gobs of cap room - so keep this in mind: in order to offer Cruz the deal they would need to first clear the cap space and then wait and hope. Also keep in mind that the Giants have 7 days to match, so we could essentially tie up their cap space for an entire week only to match, while at the same time having them potentially lose out on a target or two or even be forced to cut someone they might not have wanted to. That is why teams don't typically shoot for RFAs, it's a lot more risky than just throwing an offer out thereCan't put poison pills in anymorem