PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me what this number means "-23"?

DragonSoul
12-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I cannot believe this, or that no one is talking about this number!

PF--------PA------Net Pts
363------386------"-23"

But as you can clearly see now it is our total net points for the season. We are negative 23 total points.

That means we have allowed more points then we have scored, and yet we are 8-7.

I think that speaks volumes for the type of defense we have, and how Eli has kept us in the hunt all season.

Only positive we have now, is that the defense finally played a complete game during week 17. Hopefully that was our spring board for the defense as it was for our SB run on Offense towards the end of that season as well.

NY_Eli
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think it's a very relevant stat.

All points are relative to the team you're playing. If one week NO happens to drop a zillion points on you that's just one game. It doesn't say much about how your team has played all year.

NYfanatic
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
I was going to say Micheal Jordan but.....Thats not good, we have won game by very little margin (beside the jets and first iggle games) and lost games by a considerable margin (Saints, Skins games)

NYG4lifeNYK
12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
23 - Corey Webster aka C-Web

DragonSoul
12-27-2011, 01:57 PM

All points are relative to the team you're playing. If one week NO happens to drop a zillion points on you that's just one game. It doesn't say much about how your team has played all year.Generally I agree but in averages or statistics you have to go by a larger size pool. For 4 or even 8 games can be a small sample size, and can be skewed based on what you have said, and considering we did play some of the offensive power houses this year if not top 4 or 5 out of the league.

Yet we did also allow the skins team to score a bit on us to name one team, and we also allowed many a times for teams to drive and score with under 2 minutes to go before end of the half or game. So with a larger sample size I give it a bit more credence.

DragonSoul
12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I was going to say Micheal Jordan but.....Thats not good, we have won game by very little margin (beside the jets and first iggle games) and lost games by a considerable margin (Saints, Skins games)
I was thinking MJ as well, when I typed the name of the thread lol.

NY_Eli
12-27-2011, 02:00 PM

All points are relative to the team you're playing. If one week NO happens to drop a zillion points on you that's just one game. It doesn't say much about how your team has played all year.Generally I agree but in averages or statistics you have to go by a larger size pool. For 4 or even 8 games can be a small sample size, and can be skewed based on what you have said, and considering we did play some of the offensive power houses this year if not top 4 or 5 out of the league.

Yet we did also allow the skins team to score a bit on us to name one team, and we also allowed many a times for teams to drive and score with under 2 minutes to go before end of the half or game. So with a larger sample size I give it a bit more credence.

I don't think the larger sample size makes a difference. The giants have specific defensive gameplans for each team. It's not like they're sending out the same exact defense every game.

But to be fair, I'm awaiting a not-so-hot grade from my college statistics course, so I might not have any f-ing clue what i'm talking about!

Roosevelt
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM

363------386------"-23"

But as you can clearly see now it is our total net points for the season. We are negative 23 total points.

I think that speaks volumes for the type of defense we have, and how Eli has kept us in the hunt all season.

Only positive we have now, is that the defense finally played a complete game during week 17. Hopefully that was our spring board for the defense as it was for our SB run on Offense towards the end of that season as well.

Trouble is Eli and the offense have not played well the last 2 weeks. We are going to need everyone playing their best if we are to make some noise this year.

fansince69
12-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Don Mattingly.....But seriously it makes sense because we have lost a couple games by a good amount,the New Orleans game comes to mind where most of the games we have won have been last minute close games.

BigBlue1971
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I cannot believe this, or that no one is talking about this number! PF--------PA------Net Pts 363------386------"-23" But as you can clearly see now it is our total net points for the season. We are negative 23 total points. That means we have allowed more points then we have scored, and yet we are 8-7. I think that speaks volumes for the type of defense we have, and how Eli has kept us in the hunt all season. <FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Only positive we have now, is that the defense finally played a complete game during week 17. Hopefully that was our spring board for the defense as it was for our SB run on Offense towards the end of that season as well.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5></FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000>this is the positive im waiting for. if the Giants make the playoffs with the defense improving on last weeks numbers and play, they could be a very very dangerous team.</FONT></P>

TroyArcher
12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
The only stat that matters is W-L. The Packers have given up more yards then they have gained.

DragonSoul
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I cannot believe this, or that no one is talking about this number! PF--------PA------Net Pts 363------386------"-23" But as you can clearly see now it is our total net points for the season. We are negative 23 total points. That means we have allowed more points then we have scored, and yet we are 8-7. I think that speaks volumes for the type of defense we have, and how Eli has kept us in the hunt all season. <FONT color=#0000ff size=5>Only positive we have now, is that the defense finally played a complete game during week 17. Hopefully that was our spring board for the defense as it was for our SB run on Offense towards the end of that season as well.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=5></FONT>*</P>

<FONT color=#000000>this is the positive im waiting for.* if the Giants make the playoffs with the defense improving on last weeks numbers and play, they could be a very very dangerous team.</FONT></P>yep, same as for the Pack and even th eColts when they won. All you can hope for.

fansince69
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
The only stat that matters is W-L. The Packers have given up more yards then they have gained.

That stat is very deceiving because as many yards as they give up and as bad as that defense is considered they do get a lot of turnovers!

stormblue
12-27-2011, 02:17 PM

it means we either get blown out or claw ourselves out with a small margin of victory.

but if the D can step it up for the playoffs we have
a chance because except for the 'niners ;nobody else in the NFC plays defense either.

DragonSoul
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
The only stat that matters is W-L.* The Packers have given up more yards then they have gained.*

That stat is very deceiving because as many yards as they give up and as bad as that defense is considered they do get a lot of turnovers!
actually yards don't matter, but points do. Do you want to give up 400 yards a game or 40 its per game? 400 yards per game or 20 its per game? 200 yards a game or 30 pts?

MikeIsaGiant
12-27-2011, 03:07 PM

You sir, have the best signature ever.

On the topic though, yeah whatever, to me that stat is relevant, defense is so shaky. I wish we could play defense like we did against the Jets/Patriots

fansince69
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM

actually yards don't matter, but points do. Do you want to give up 400 yards a game or 40 its per game? 400 yards per game or 20 its per game? 200 yards a game or 30 pts?

I agree 100%...but even more important is whether defense gives up more than offense scores

Sarcasman
12-27-2011, 06:13 PM

363------386------"-23"

I don't think this is terribly relevant at this point. The offense is the only reason the Giants are still alive this season, that's not news. So a stat illustrating just how pathetic our defense is should come as no revelation to anyone who has seen any games this year.

Further, it doesn't matter since in order to win we have to outscore the other team. Sure, it would be nice if it was challenging for the other team to score, but that's not a reality this year.

Eli and the offense have to be 75% responsible for winning or losing the game. Counting on the defense to hold up to 50% of the bargain is ridiculous and unrealistic as any fan this year will tell you.

It's not like we're gonna play the Jets 5 more times....

SweetZombieJesus
12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
23 - Corey Webster aka C-Web

Michael Jordan, Don Mattingly, etc. etc. etc.