PDA

View Full Version : I know we all get very upset when we lose FA's but.....

TheIncredibleErk
03-14-2013, 12:19 AM
It is disheartening when we lose FA's. Especially players that the Giants drafted and/or developed. But I have to say, The Giants always know what they are doing, because I do not remember the last time we lost a player and they went on to become successful. The Giants know what they are doing when they do not resign someone, or cut someone. And they also know what they are doing when they DO NOT sign a FA that everyone wants so badly.

So no fear, we are in good hands.

Let's make a list of players we cut or lose to FA that have went on to success. I cannot think of any off the top of my head, can any of you??

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Barry Coefield, became captain of Skins defense, and won division this year.

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Can't rule out Manningham yet, just because he got hurt this year.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Ryan Clark; Ryan Grant; Matt Bryant?

Redeyejedi
03-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Ryan Clark; Ryan Grant; Matt Bryant?Grant was traded and u can make the argument all 3 RB's we had were better

L.T.56
03-14-2013, 01:41 AM
well this is what happens when you have a cap. it is what is.

TheIncredibleErk
03-14-2013, 02:05 AM

thats one that really hurt. he was a great pursuit DT for us. nobody could fool him on the screen. but he definitly was not worth the contract he got

miked1958
03-14-2013, 02:24 AM
fred robbins, and yea cofield and MM for sure. But yea the LIST is a lot LONGER on the ones that left and didnt become sucessful. The ones that were the list is like a fingernails lenth long, the ones that didnt are like an arms lenth. lol

blueribbon
03-14-2013, 02:38 AM
JUMBO ELLIOTT - he looked better in blue

TheIncredibleErk
03-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Fred Robbins was way past his prime. So we got rid of his contract at the right time.

TheIncredibleErk
03-14-2013, 02:52 AM
and i didnt get into football until HS in 1997. That was my first full season as a Giants fan. I believe Jumbo was already on the jets at that time, so i always hated him.

gmen46
03-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Tyrone Wheatley had 2 decent years right after he left us for Raiders in 99. Came in just under 1000 yds his first year with Oakland and broke 1000 the next year, which far exceeded anything he did as a Giant. Totaled 17 TDs those 2 years, nearly half his 10 year career total of 40. But after that, he settled back into his disappointing career the next 4 years.

Jumbo Elliot, as someone else said.

Cornelius Griffin went to Wash. Hated to see him go. Had a decent few years with them.

Cofield.

Visanthe Shianco definitely had a better career arc after going to Vikes.

McCaffrey in the mid 90s, to Denver and became a productive fan favorite. We then broke his leg the Monday night before 9/11, effectively ending his career.

Those 6 are the only ones I can think of --who actually had at least a good season or two (some had more) after leaving the Giants. Over the 20 years of the modern CBA, Free Agency and Salary Cap, that's pretty good (from Giants perspective).

gmen46
03-14-2013, 03:28 AM
Fred Robbins was way past his prime. So we got rid of his contract at the right time.

I agree. He doesn't belong on the list of those who left the Blue and did well elsewhere. On the flip side, he was a good FA pick up for the Giants.

BlueSanta
03-14-2013, 04:37 AM

London Fletcher is the defensive captain of the Skins.

Furthermore here are Coefields stats the last 3 years:
2010(Giants) 54 tackles 39 solo with 1 forced fumble.
2011(skins) 25 tackles 15 solo
2012(skins) 36 tackles 15 solo with 1 FF.

And he was active for all games.

So your pretty much wrong on all counts, cept that they won the division. But I think it is tough to argue Coefield was worth that contract. Canty was active only 9 games, with very llittle play in 2 of those 9, and had better stats than Barry with 16 active games. Linval Joeseph had better stats this year than Coefield had in 2010, and he did it on a rookie contract.

Roswell777
03-14-2013, 05:07 AM
The one player that stands out that the Giants lost in free agency was Jeff Hostetler who was clearly better than any QB the Giants put on the field in 94 thru 96.

blueribbon
03-14-2013, 05:16 AM
McCaffrey, I forgot about him. He was great when we had him and even better for Denver. I was so ticked when we lost him.

Rat_bastich
03-14-2013, 05:18 AM
The one player that stands out that the Giants lost in free agency was Jeff Hostetler who was clearly better than any QB the Giants put on the field in 94 thru 96.

I was pretty upset with the Hostetler move too. He was unceremoniously dumped. This was the beginning of the Dan Reeves era of getting rid of the old quarterbacks. Simms was gone the next year.

Roswell777
03-14-2013, 05:33 AM
I was pretty upset with the Hostetler move too. He was unceremoniously dumped. This was the beginning of the Dan Reeves era of getting rid of the old quarterbacks. Simms was gone the next year.

Simms was cut after 93. I don't think Reeves was happy about losing either guy. Certainly he wasn't happy with being saddled with Dave Brown.

Rat_bastich
03-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Simms was cut after 93. I don't think Reeves was happy about losing either guy. Certainly he wasn't happy with being saddled with Dave Brown.

I thought he was the one that decided to go with Brown and then kept flip flopping him and Graham.

bigjeep
03-14-2013, 06:52 AM
It is disheartening when we lose FA's. Especially players that the Giants drafted and/or developed. But I have to say, The Giants always know what they are doing, because I do not remember the last time we lost a player and they went on to become successful. The Giants know what they are doing when they do not resign someone, or cut someone. And they also know what they are doing when they DO NOT sign a FA that everyone wants so badly.

Let's make a list of players we cut or lose to FA that have went on to success. I cannot think of any off the top of my head, can any of you??

Cruz!

SweetZombieJesus
03-14-2013, 07:42 AM
McCaffrey, I forgot about him. He was great when we had him and even better for Denver. I was so ticked when we lost him.

Joe Jurevicius

nycsportzfan
03-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Can't rule out Manningham yet, just because he got hurt this year. Ya, but after a yr, he certainly didn't do anything to warrent a feeling of lost talent or skills that hurt... Honestly, we lost a ton of players people whined about around here, and they didn't do much in there new homes.. Kevin Boss, Derrick Ward, Aaron Ross, Mario, Tollefson, Cofield(good not great for skins), Kawika Mitchell..etc None of em went on to much success at all.. I'm sure i'm not thinking of a few guys as well...

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
London Fletcher is the defensive captain of the Skins.

Furthermore here are Coefields stats the last 3 years:
2010(Giants) 54 tackles 39 solo with 1 forced fumble.
2011(skins) 25 tackles 15 solo
2012(skins) 36 tackles 15 solo with 1 FF.

And he was active for all games.

So your pretty much wrong on all counts, cept that they won the division. But I think it is tough to argue Coefield was worth that contract. Canty was active only 9 games, with very llittle play in 2 of those 9, and had better stats than Barry with 16 active games. Linval Joeseph had better stats this year than Coefield had in 2010, and he did it on a rookie contract.

Forgot about Fletcher but Coefield is also a team captain.. Look it up. And the question wasn't whether or not the contract was worth it, it was just who has had success. The OP was stating how when we get rid of players that they usually drop off. Coefield has continued to be a decent player. He was never a star but that wasn't the question.

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Ya, but after a yr, he certainly didn't do anything to warrent a feeling of lost talent or skills that hurt... Honestly, we lost a ton of players people whined about around here, and they didn't do much in there new homes.. Kevin Boss, Derrick Ward, Aaron Ross, Mario, Tollefson, Cofield(good not great for skins), Kawika Mitchell..etc None of em went on to much success at all.. I'm sure i'm not thinking of a few guys as well...

Again the OP wasn't asking who do we miss. He asked who has gone on to have success. And you can't rule MM out yet. That is all.

03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Wasn't there a Joe Jereviscious (spelling) that went onto productive years after Giants also? (giving away my age)

ryan12
03-14-2013, 10:33 AM
harooni

fansince69
03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Tyrone Wheatley had 2 decent years right after he left us for Raiders in 99. Came in just under 1000 yds his first year with Oakland and broke 1000 the next year, which far exceeded anything he did as a Giant. Totaled 17 TDs those 2 years, nearly half his 10 year career total of 40. But after that, he settled back into his disappointing career the next 4 years.

Jumbo Elliot, as someone else said.

Cornelius Griffin went to Wash. Hated to see him go. Had a decent few years with them.

Cofield.

Visanthe Shianco definitely had a better career arc after going to Vikes.

McCaffrey in the mid 90s, to Denver and became a productive fan favorite. We then broke his leg the Monday night before 9/11, effectively ending his career.

Those 6 are the only ones I can think of --who actually had at least a good season or two (some had more) after leaving the Giants. Over the 20 years of the modern CBA, Free Agency and Salary Cap, that's pretty good (from Giants perspective).JUmbo was on the downside of his carreer when he left..........cofield and griffith were both tough to swallow but sometimes money makes it hard to keep everyone Shaianco basically did nothing here but block and watch games from sidelines.....Did not seem like a large loss when he left but has become productive........................MC cafferty and Joe Jerivicious(sp) both were guys I think we gave up on too soon and became very good receivers elsewhere.......the main point of the op is well taken because I think overall we do a very good job of weighing money and talent and who we can replace more cheaply.......does it fail sometimes? of course....overall I dont thing we can complain

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Forgot about Shiancoe. He did well with Favre.

Wasn't there a Joe Jereviscious (spelling) that went onto productive years after Giants also? (giving away my age)
Jurevicius. Yep. He won a Super Bowl with Tampa and led the Seahawks in receiving when they faced the Steelers in SB XL. I had no idea he was originally a Giant.

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Coincidentally, NFL.com, has a feature up right now, listing the top 10 free agent signings of all time. The broncos signing Ed McCaffrey is listed as the 15th best F/A signing ever.....

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000147425/top-20-freeagent-signings-in-nfl-history#photo=6

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Bradshaw will still have success too, the guy is too much of a warrior not to.

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Incidentally, Kurt Warner going to Arizona, was the number 4 ranked F/A signing of all time. Not that we really were ever going to keep him. lol

WR4Life
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Coincidentally, NFL.com, has a feature up right now, listing the top 10 free agent signings of all time. The broncos signing Ed McCaffrey is listed as the 15th best F/A signing ever.....

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000147425/top-20-freeagent-signings-in-nfl-history#photo=6

Why is Peyton Manning on this list? They had him at 5 on NFL Network for their list too. One person brought up an issue with it on the show that I whole heatedly agree with. He shouldn't be on any of these lists. He has been there one year and was one and done in the playoffs. Maybe if he won the superbowl then I could see it. But other than awards, stats, and record, Tim Tebow's year didn't end any differently the year before except for the fact that he won a playoff game and Peyton didn't.

NYGfanSTRICK
03-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Shockey had a few pretty solid years after he left. He put up some pretty good numbers for being the #2 TE for a while. I miss having a TE like him but we have managed to get decent TE's even if they are no names when they come into play like Ballard.

ryan12
03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Bradshaw will still have success too, the guy is too much of a warrior not to.

his feet say otherwise

teddy2700
03-14-2013, 02:54 PM

yet the giants haven't made the playoffs 3 out of last 4 years. reese and tom are very good, can't say they are great

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
his feet say otherwise

He played well with that foot bothering him for 2 years.

nygpolishpunk
03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
He played well with that foot bothering him for 2 years.Yet he got progressively worse over those two years...