PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand why you want a new OC

NYGFaninILL
12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Since Kevin Gilbride became the Giants Offensive Coordinator in 2007 (the year we won it all) the giants have always been in the top 10 in the league in points and yards per game.

Name me an available coach who could do ghat on a consistent basis.

You want to rid this team of offensive consistancy for a guy who might call 2 trick plays a game.

And you blame Gilbride regardless!!

If a WR runs the wrong route, blame KG
If Eli and a WR have a miscommunication, blame KG
If Eli audibles a play that doesn't work, blame KG
If the defense make a phenomenal play, blame KG

he will be the new OC for a while

TheReal_LT
12-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Since Kevin Gilbride became the Giants Offensive Coordinator in 2007 (the year we won it all) the giants have always been in the top 10 in the league in points and yards per game.

You want to rid this team of offensive consistancy for a guy who might call 2 trick plays a game.

I don't think that Gilbride is a bad OC but he is too predictable at times and a little too pass happy. Also It drives me crazy when he goes for a big play on third and short instead of just trying to move the chains to sustain a drive.

NYGFaninILL
12-27-2011, 02:20 PM

I don't think that Gilbride is a bad OC but he is too predictable at times and a little too pass happy. Also It drives me crazy when he goes for a big play on third and short instead of just trying to move the chains to sustain a drive.

You just contradicted yourself. Wouldnt a team expect us to pound the ball on a 3rd and short? Maybe he airs it out to catch the defense off guard?

stormblue
12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
because he's a coward....
he never kicked buddy ryan's ***
after the sideline sucker punch.

total lack of street cred.

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Bingo... Its not that he isnt good... He tries to be to good for the game when at the end of the day its about the X and Os... We all know this:

1st down shotgun or playaction (pass)

2nd down because of INC bunch formation (run)

3rd and short or long now we all know its a 30 yard pass... (pass)

We dont get paid millions to see this and we do... If it wasnt for players like Cruz who catch a 10 yard pass and run 89 yards thats just another KG joke drive...

Here is my flip... Ok so if your the OC and you know the D is banged up shouldnt you be trying to keep them off the field??? Or know they caused a punt or TO, shouldnt you be looking to score and give them a reward???

KK is an all or nothing guy... Id bet if he were at a poker table he would be the one to yell "all in" every hand...

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
If the defense make a phenomenal play, blame KGYou hit it right on the head here.

TheReal_LT
12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I hear what you're saying but it seems like he's been doing this a lot lately. I know you want to keep the defense off balaance and all of that but there has been a lot of 3 and outs as a result of going for the big play instead of completing a pass just past the 1st down marker to keep the drive going...

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM

You just contradicted yourself. Wouldnt a team expect us to pound the ball on a 3rd and short? Maybe he airs it out to catch the defense off guard?

Here and there fine... But when its 3rd and anything he is going deep... #everytime...

stormblue
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
total lack of use of the short passing game.
especially when our o-line and running game suck this year.(dead last by the way, we are ranked 32nd in rushing)
you gotta have a short passing game to sustain drives ; if you don't the D never gets a chance to catch its breath.

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:36 PM
especially when our o-line and running game suck this year.(dead last by the way, we are ranked 32nd in rushing)
you gotta have a short passing game to sustain drives ; if you don't the D never gets a chance to catch its breath.

Then all you hear is ho wbad the D is nevermind the fact they have been on the field for most of the game... The other O's have no problem keeping our O off the field..

My question is every OC we play just better than ours???

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
you gotta have a short passing game to sustain drives ; if you don't the D never gets a chance to catch its breath.Short passing takes place with a lot of traffic and the way our receivers tip the ball up and the occasional erratic way the ball leaves Eli's hand, it is a risky proposition.

stormblue
12-27-2011, 02:39 PM
My question is every OC we play just better than ours???

nope.....just the ones who beat us !! ha-ha

buddy33
12-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I still don't know why they where passing after they recovered that fumble and why they would try to go after Revis on top of it.

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I still don't know why they where passing after they recovered that fumble and why they would try to go after Revis on top of it.

I know why...

TheReal_LT
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Just like they passed the ball 3 times after Webster made the int on the first play of the skins game

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Just like they passed the ball 3 times after Webster made the int on the first play of the skins game

KK!!!

NYGFaninILL
12-27-2011, 02:49 PM

KK!!!

No, because our run game at the time was NON-EXISTENT!! When you only Avg. 1.8 yards/carry, you don't run to sustain drives, you utilize the only thing on your o that has been working (I.e. Manning)

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 02:54 PM

KK!!!

No, because our run game at the time was NON-EXISTENT!! When you only Avg. 1.8 yards/carry, you don't run to sustain drives, you utilize the only thing on your o that has been working (I.e. Manning)

Thats fine but does every pass have to be over 10-15 yards??? Noooo

If you have a banged up O line do you force them to have to block for so long?? Nooo

Every time we run the ball for the first time its on 2nd down... (if were lucky)

If KK isnt pealing off 25yard run everytime he just assumes it isnt working and hoh well back to passing... Eli dont have to carry this team... He is just put in that situation with KK...

We have no short passing game... Period... KK is all or nothing...

The guy is a joke...

Gianthunter
12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
<DIV id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr__ctl0___PostRepeater__ctl15_Pos tViewWrapper class=ForumPostContentText>Shows there alot of teams inthe NFL that are worse off at DC than the Giants are with Fewell. </DIV>

CGYgiant
12-27-2011, 03:11 PM

If you watched the post game press conference Manning talked about how the jets were stacking the box, therefore he audibled to a quick slant and well, it backfired.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
I will say this for the 1000th time.

<font size="5">
The talent of Eli &amp; our receivers MASKS the incompetence &amp; ineptitude of Kevin Kill-a-drive.</font>

CGYgiant
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I will say this for the 1000th time.

<font size="5">
The talent of Eli & our receivers MASKS the incompetence & ineptitude of Kevin Kill-a-drive.</font>

??

Im not sure Eli and co agree with your statements, Gilbrides offence has always been amoung the best in the league. Eli has been a crappy passer for most of his career and now all of a sudden its Gilbride that is the problem?

lol

scf424
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Let me put it this way. Gilbride isn't a bad OC, hell, I'd say he's above average. He's just too stubborn some times.

Sure, our offense has been top 10 for a while, but how many of our big plays/scores have been a miraculous play by the receiver? Our talent on offense masks the flaws in Gilbride's scheme for the most part. When we don't get those big plays, you see what happens.

I look at it this way, Gilbride is putting together a puzzle, but instead of putting a square piece in a square hole, he's going to try and force it into the smaller circular hole. Everyone knows it's not going to work, or if it does, it's going to be by some type of break down.

Just let the players do what they do best and mix up the play calls (seriously, we have like 5 formations, and 3 plays out of each...we don't even need trick plays).

His situational playcalling is awful too, especially in the redzone.

stormin normand
12-27-2011, 03:51 PM
4th quarter time running out.... up 13...
ball on 20

football 101: Run the ball.
KG: short pass
Result a pick

unless you believe Eli really did check off to pass from a called run

I think more likely that they are circling the wagons to protect KillDrives job

Vtgmenfan89
12-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Bob Papa: 3rd and 7...Eli in the shotgun... sends Ware in motion, split out wide..1 second on the play clock.. Eli gets the snap...they set up a screen out to ware and he gets tackled for a 2 yard loss and the Giants are forced to punt.

I want to pull a Buddy Ryan every time I see this ridiculously predictable waste of a down.

Every time Ware is out wide, that's pretty much what happens. That play fails more than any play I've ever seen and they keep doing it. I really don't get why they keep running it to Ware out wide....everyone and their mom sees it coming a mile away It worked way better when we'd send it out to Rio or a WR like we did last year against cowgirls. Cruz is even shiftier than Rio, set it up for him! If you're gonna do a screen to a HB, I've always thought it really oughta be done out of the backfield 9 times out of 10. I mean we did it in the first eagles game to bradshaw and boom, we got the dagger TD...

I of course don't think we should fire KG over one play or even fire him at all necessarily, just an example of how bad his playcalling/ design can be at times and how he never changes it. They've been running that BS all year and it's maybe worked for 5 yards once

mfraykor
12-27-2011, 03:53 PM
When I am at home sitting on the couch and am able to predict the "DRAW" play 2 times in a row.... its time for OC to move on.

and for the most simple example... from the Jets game.... BJ running like a madman... get 7+ yards to make it 3rd and 1... and KG takes out JACOBS>>> TAKES HIM OUT>>> and puts in WARE... and calls a long pass play... WTF is that...

TheReal_LT
12-27-2011, 05:42 PM
When I am at home sitting on the couch and am able to predict the "DRAW" play 2 times in a row.... its time for OC to move on.

and for the most simple example... from the Jets game.... BJ running like a madman... get 7+ yards to make it 3rd and 1... and KG takes out JACOBS>>> TAKES HIM OUT>>> and puts in WARE... and calls a long pass play... WTF is that...

+1

buddy33
12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Yeah that part where he put Ware in after Jacobs just used a big run was a head scratcher. Especially when Jacobs was so fired up. He will be again this week. Don't pull him this week please. Let him truck people.

NYG 5
12-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Killdrive sucks because his pass patterns don't open up enough field. There's a lot of routes just bunching eachother up.

The lack of any playaction, involvement of RBs, double moves, anything that can screen an aggressive defense is what kills the giants.

Example, the eagles always stack the line and swarm after the ball, send a lot of pressure up the middle, and killdrive just has the offense take it on the chin and go 3 and out.

Sean Payton was 1000 times the OC killdrive is. Hell, even Fassel was.

Gianthunter
12-27-2011, 05:58 PM
The NFL is missing out on a whole new group of top-notch DCs. Jerry is taking resumes on how to beat Gilbride.

brad
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
KG has a big play offense, and that is great... the problem is that the offense will have 3-4 3 and outs before they break off a big play. Rarely do you see a sustained drive where they move methodically down the field wearing down the opponents defense while simultaneously giving our defense time to rest. The problems with the Giants offense is no different than it has been anywhere that KG has been the offensive coordinator. With him it is feast or famine...

JesseJames
12-27-2011, 06:17 PM
people who want a reason why Giants fans would like a new OC just have to watch the playcalling of Sean Payton of the Saints, he is an absolute master at shredding defenses by mixing up his plays and keeping defenses guessing wrong...

Gianthunter
12-27-2011, 06:22 PM
What person in here feels comfortable with a 14 point lead or 28 for that matter?

NYGinIN
12-27-2011, 06:58 PM
...because I think we could be a lot better

T-Murda84
12-27-2011, 07:00 PM
People blame Gilbride because its the easiest thing to do. We want to make our players out to be better than what they actually are. We want to think of Ballard as our new Shockey or Bavaro. We want Eli to be recognized as one of the Elite QBs in the league and we will make an excuse for him in bad game. (I do think Eli is Elite tho, even tho he makes bonehead plays time to time).

Eli and Gilbride has a great relationship, and Eli does seem comfortable with the offense. Eli just seems uncomfortable with the blocking of his line, and u can see the frustration oh his face when the receiver dont see the things on the field like he does. For the 3rd straight year, Eli has thrown over 4,000 yards in this offense and carried our young receivers under his wing. Eli loves being a Giant, why not show him some respect and keep some sort of consistency for him here. Its like every year we are starting over, Manning is in his 30s now this is the prime of his career.

Firenugget
12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
imo Gilbride is an easy target. But the facts are this...He's done a hell of a job. Not to say he doesn't piss me off every couple weeks, because he does, but the bottom line is our offense is good and has been since he's taken over.

Defcon4
12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
People blame Gilbride because its the easiest thing to do. We want to make our players out to be better than what they actually are. We want to think of Ballard as our new Shockey or Bavaro. We want Eli to be recognized as one of the Elite QBs in the league and we will make an excuse for him in bad game. (I do think Eli is Elite tho, even tho he makes bonehead plays time to time).

Eli and Gilbride has a great relationship, and Eli does seem comfortable with the offense. Eli just seems uncomfortable with the blocking of his line, and u can see the frustration oh his face when the receiver dont see the things on the field like he does. For the 3rd straight year, Eli has thrown over 4,000 yards in this offense and carried our young receivers under his wing. Eli loves being a Giant, why not show him some respect and keep some sort of consistency for him here. Its like every year we are starting over, Manning is in his 30s now this is the prime of his career.

I blame the system and Gilbride because this offense is consistently inconsistent. WRs being on a different page than Eli is nothing new, in fact it's an inherent part of this offensive system.

You can't blame an OC for dropped passes or bad throws or poor O-line play. However, perennially inconsistent offensive production is a sign that the offense itself is flawed and its not just the players performance to blame.

FYI- as our running game has diminished the need for Eli to throw to keep us in the game has increased. His 4,000 yards of passing is more of a sign of things that are wrong with this offense than of Eli's proficiency. We now pass to set up the run like in the Fassel days with Kerry, but when we won the SB in '07 we were running to set up the pass.

If we no longer have the talent on O-line to support this system how it should be run, which is run first, then we need to get a new system and a new coordinator.
---------

"Just my thoughts people, just my thoughts" ---Ophnell

Tony Bruno
12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Above average players bailing out below average coaching... #bottomline

dave56dj
12-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Ever since he arrived our O has been top ten but we only wanna give credit to Eli and the main reason why - as a fan i can call some of their plays. Guess what you watch every week that's not surprising. Every team has favorite plays - the pats run 4-5 bubble screens a game. And the one most hated play - Shotgun draw - and why do fans no its coming - its one of the only ways to RUN out of the Gun and so everyone knows IF they run it will be a draw - doesnt take a genius. I wonder how fans like it on both converted 2 point conversions - how bout wares BIG RUN against the Jets.

The truth of the matter is our run game has been atrocious all year due to a declining O line. Gilbride has always had good offenses but thats not enough for fans - if they can predict any play the guy most not be good. For the record you could predict the 86 giants and 90 giants plays left and right and it didnt matter one bit - run run run and run some more and you couldnt stop it.

gmen0820
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Ever since he arrived our O has been top ten but we only wanna give credit to Eli and the main reason why - as a fan i can call some of their plays. Guess what you watch every week that's not surprising. Every team has favorite plays - the pats run 4-5 bubble screens a game. And the one most hated play - Shotgun draw - and why do fans no its coming - its one of the only ways to RUN out of the Gun and so everyone knows IF they run it will be a draw - doesnt take a genius. I wonder how fans like it on both converted 2 point conversions - how bout wares BIG RUN against the Jets.

The truth of the matter is our run game has been atrocious all year due to a declining O line. Gilbride has always had good offenses but thats not enough for fans - if they can predict any play the guy most not be good. For the record you could predict the 86 giants and 90 giants plays left and right and it didnt matter one bit - run run run and run some more and you couldnt stop it.I don't know how or why but I swear to god we think alike.

JMGGIANTS
12-27-2011, 10:43 PM
great points and I agree. Just because so many fans want a new OC doesn't mean they are correct.

dave56dj
12-27-2011, 10:48 PM
The bottom line NONE of us study it the way these coaches do and its AMAZINGLY silly to sit at home call a play or two in our heads and say "man he's predicable" - AND THEN not recognize how brilliant a call the wheel route was to cruz - to us it was just a deep ball caught by victor - but it was schemed out beautifully.

I played ball in high school and at D3 but to think i know what gilbride does based on what i see on a small angle on TV is sad. GO KG you got a fan in me - due to the top ten rating - now if he was a coach who had a bad o every year i might be questioning him - but he doesnt.

Nyflava4ya420
12-27-2011, 11:04 PM

http://www.8bitbrigade.com/images/smilies/954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

JJC7301
12-27-2011, 11:50 PM
imo Gilbride is an easy target. But the facts are this...He's done a hell of a job. Not to say he doesn't piss me off every couple weeks, because he does, but the bottom line is our offense is good and has been since he's taken over.

+1. The Giants have had one of the best offenses consistently since KG arrived. It isn't just Eli that has helped new talent develop (Cruz, Ballard, etc.), but KG has had to incorporate this talent as well.

bearbryant
12-28-2011, 12:15 AM
Obviously you haven't been reading the posts the past 3 years. For me its not only killy its the whole package: the HC who hires his boy to run the offense the way he wanted it. Both the team and the offense present with the same problems: its too conservative which leads to it being vanilla and predictable. Obviously, the suits like this but do the paying fans enjoy what they've been watching lately? I don't. Get rid of him TC fewell and grab Spags after he leaves St Louis

ToomerFORtheBomb
12-28-2011, 02:12 AM
There are some people that refuse to blame an OC no matter how bad play calling may be.

Eli does audible at times, of course but if it's all about execution and nothing to do with playcalling or strategy then why even have an OC at all? Just let the QBs call the plays.

Gillbrides problem is consistency or lack there of.

Every few weeks he will have a bad day and when he has one it's realllly bad.

One other thing... this offense has been running for 4 or 5 years under Gillbride. Where are all the short quick slants? There are a couple here and there but he relies way too much on heaving the ball way down field. It would be nice to work a little west coast style into this offense. It would be a wrinkle that would make this offense so dynamic the Giants would be damn hard to stop.

Do we ever see that under Gillbride? Not really much at all.

dave56dj
12-28-2011, 02:47 AM
Please explain the inconsistency of a top ten offense almost every year in his tenure as OC - I think that would scream consistency - no? I suppose you just hate teh shotgun draw? you do remember the pass play that was picked by revis last week yes? Short slant - he runs about 3/4 a game, you want some west coast offense - guess what thats not our offense. Again top ten offense - very consistent.

ToomerFORtheBomb
12-28-2011, 04:14 AM
Inconsistency as in the loss to the Redskins, we just kept going for heymakers the whole game. Never tried to establish the running game to set up the big play. Why? What kind of a game plan is that?

As far as the Revis play, your point is ridiculous... You pick a play that includes probably the best defensive player in the game?

See people like you will give credit to Gillbride when the results are good but when things go bad it's always "execution" and "he's not out there playing himself, so it's not his fault"

I have come on these boards and given Gillbride credit when the game plan was solid. I have also ripped him when he makes bad calls and I always make it a point to say it's a combination of bad play calls and execution.

Also notice... I have never mentioned the shotgun draw. You did though.

thegreatone
12-28-2011, 08:47 AM

You just contradicted yourself. Wouldnt a team expect us to pound the ball on a 3rd and short? Maybe he airs it out to catch the defense off guard?ive said it before ill say it agian, EA had a saying "Dont be too smart". 3rd and short you line up and pound your 275 rb up the gut. If it doesnt work find the right personnel that will make it work. its that simple

Wes
12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
we dont need a new OC, we dont need a new HC we need possibly a new DC and some good LBS and a healthy secondary</P>

Our only REAL offensive woes are the OL, our RBs are fine the OL just needs to stop getting dominated.</P>

JesseJames
12-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Gilbride does run a very predictable offense and the problem with that is you have to have a damn good O line to be able to run plays that the defense knows is coming especially on running plays. Our O line is not very good this year and the running stats are a good indication of it...

Tony Bruno
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
The has to score more off turnovers and 3and outs when the d creates them... They need to score more consistently...

With the o we are trying to (which is more high powered) you need to do it... 38, 10, 17, 42.... 26 a game will win most of the time...

The solar system has to align for KK's to work well...