PDA

View Full Version : Belichick Irks Brady, Helps Blue By Letting Wes Welker Walk

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:06 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-belichick-irks-brady-helps-blue-letting-wes-walk-article-1.1288117

Excerpt: "Bill Belichick operates the Patriots like he is dealing with replaceable and interchangeable parts except at quarterback, where Tom Brady (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tom+Brady) is one of the all-time greats.

But Belichick is testing his quarterback’s greatness and perhaps his loyalty now that he disrespected Brady’s 100-catch-a-year slot receiver/security blanket Wes Welker (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Wes+Welker) and allowed him to sign with Peyton Manning and the Broncos.
While Brady has to be upset with the move, it provided the only good news the depleted Jets have had since the free agent market opened on Tuesday.

Belichick also managed to help the Giants as well, by filling his WR need without trying to steal Victor Cruz away from Big Blue.

But the stunning part of the developments for Patriots Nation is that Welker signed a reasonably priced two-year, $12 million contract. New England offered a two-year, $10 million deal, yet gave Danny Amendola, a poor man’s Welker who seems to be hurt every year, a five-year, $31 million deal — with $10 million guaranteed — to take his place.

Clearly, Belichick put Welker in the replaceable parts category and didn’t want him anymore. He put a value on him, even if it was way below the $9.5 million franchise number Welker played for in 2012 when he caught 118 passes." Read more...

miked1958
03-14-2013, 08:11 AM
I dont know how you dont match that offer. Makes no sense. You know what you are going to get with that guy 100 catches a season. why would you let him go and then pay a guy not quite as good 1+ more per season plus 3 more years then you offerered a guy who helped win a bunch of SBs and get you to two others. I ddont understand their logic on this one

miked1958
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
how much of welkers contract did Denver Guarantee? And how much of the 10m over two seasons that was offered to welker by the Pats was guaranteed money

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:14 AM
I dont know how you dont match that offer. Makes no sense. You know what you are going to get with that guy 100 catches a season. why would you let him go and then pay a guy not quite as good 1+ more per season plus 3 more years then you offerered a guy who helped win a bunch of SBs and get you to two others. I ddont understand their logic on this one

Belichick made a bad error in judgment IMO.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 08:14 AM
how much of welkers contract did Denver Guarantee? And how much of the 10m over two seasons that was offered to welker by the Pats was guaranteed money

I think almost all of it is guaranteed

Toadofsteel
03-14-2013, 08:19 AM
The article says that Belicheck wanted to move away from Welker's occasional fits of dropsies... Cruz would NOT be the person to pick up if you wanted that.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 08:29 AM
There was definitely a large disconnect between Welker and the Pats somewhere along the lines, because the contract Welker signed was a big FU to the Pats basically.

But the Pats are the smartest team in the NFL in terms of their roster and cap space, and while Amendola has injury concerns, he's a perfect fit for the Pats talent wise.

offingmoot
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM

Welker never won a Super Bowl. He only played in the two they couldn't cheat their way to a win

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM

100% guaranteed.

nhpgiantsfan
03-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Wes Welker has 0 SB rings. He was not a Patriot for any of their titles. His first year with them was 2007.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Belichick knows what he's doing. He tossed Randy Moss aside like nothing and his team didn't miss a beat.

Where there's a Brady, there's a way.

Medisleman
03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Brady is washed up. The Giants have seen to that. He will not win another SB. Mark my words, Brady will decline each year from here on out.

GameTime
03-14-2013, 09:14 AM
BB wants to continue to prove he can do what he does and not rely on any one player except for the QB...

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Belichick knows what he's doing. He tossed Randy Moss aside like nothing and his team didn't miss a beat.

Where there's a Brady, there's a way.

Actually that move is what cost them the Superbowl in 2011 and even making the Superbowl in 2010. No deep threat.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Brady is washed up. The Giants have seen to that. He will not win another SB. Mark my words, Brady will decline each year from here on out.

People been saying that since 2007. Have some respect.

TCHOF
03-14-2013, 09:18 AM

What an edgy prediction . . . a 36 year old QB will decline each year from here on out.

TCHOF
03-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Belichick made a bad error in judgment IMO.

+1

He has had quite a few judgment errors with veteran players over the last few years . . . Haynesworth, Chad Johnson come to mind . . .

FBomb
03-14-2013, 09:34 AM
What an edgy prediction . . . a 36 year old QB will decline each year from here on out.

I'm going out on a limb with this one, but I'm going to say it...... Lawrence Taylor is NOT the player he used to be before he retired and will get worse every year.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Belichick knows what he's doing. He tossed Randy Moss aside like nothing and his team didn't miss a beat. Where there's a Brady, there's a way. Amendola is not an upgrade

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Brady is washed up. The Giants have seen to that. He will not win another SB. Mark my words, Brady will decline each year from here on out. LOL

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Actually that move is what cost them the Superbowl in 2011 and even making the Superbowl in 2010. No deep threat.

What cost them XLII, then?
There's simply no way of determining something like that. "What ifs" are not facts. And it's not like they weren't competitive in those Super Bowls.

The deep threat thing has been a problem for them, though. None of their additions have panned out. Instead of bringing in all these damaged goods and hoping for the best, they should just go after a star.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Amendola is not an upgrade
I never said he was? I actually said he was a downgrade in a previous post.

As odd as this move appears, I'd rather wait until the season begins before judging it.

Ruttiger711
03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Damn - that late superbowl drop was litterally millions falling through his hands.... as the Pats see it anyway.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Damn - that late superbowl drop was litterally millions falling through his hands.... as the Pats see it anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if those drops contributed towards this. They have been increasing.

While Welker is still extremely productive, he just isn't as reliable anymore.