PDA

View Full Version : MLB Rey Maualuga? Ok, even I am shaking my head at this one.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 08:54 AM
In Reese We Trust (via an Adam Schefter tweet) is saying that the Giants are expressing interest in one of the worst MLB last season. :confused:

JB456
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Wow, I don't get this at all...

tdawg1413
03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
In Reese We Trust (via an Adam Schefter tweet) is saying that the Giants are expressing interest in one of the worst MLB last season. :confused:

He is pretty bad but maybe they feel a change of scenery would help. Like Brinkley better though.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 09:03 AM
What's with them and Cincy's LBs?

PBTimmons
03-14-2013, 09:06 AM
I like Maualuga better than Blackburn. I don't care what PFF says, Maualuga isn't worse than Chase.

Rudyy
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
...Can we just draft a LBer?

Captain Chaos
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
What level of interest?????

nycsportzfan
03-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Showing intrest in some wierd guys this offseason.. I still hope we get in on James Anderson OLB Carolina... Jasper Brinkley isn't a bad pickup either, as a 2down thumper...

GameTime
03-14-2013, 09:09 AM
I like Maualuga better than Blackburn. I don't care what PFF says, Maualuga isn't worse than Chase.
sure he is.....he doesnt know the system at all.
I bet you care what PFF says about Chase though.....

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Ok you guys need to stop reading 5 word cut sentences.

Maluaga is NOT a bad MLB. Quite the reverse. He had a 122 combined tackles in 2012 (his highest total) and this was his first year at MLB. Marvin Lewis called him out during the year in an attempt to spark a defense that was flailing all around (which is where most people are getting this silly notion that he's not a good MLB from).

The major concern with Maualuga as an MLB is his pass coverage in our system (he didn't drop well this year). Part of that might have been his lack of familiarity with the position. That's up to the Giants' personnel guys to determine. However if they determine that that is a fixable variable and we can afford him, he'd be an awesome addition to the Giants and an instant upgrade over Blackburn.

PBTimmons
03-14-2013, 09:16 AM
sure he is.....he doesnt know the system at all.
I bet you care what PFF says about Chase though.....

Wrong. Don't need to know what PFF says about Blackburn to know that he is literally the worst starting Linebacker in the league.

It's like: If CC Brown had managed ONE interception in 2009 people around here would be like "well he's not all that bad..." No. Chase Blackburn is the LB version of CC Brown. No PFF necessary, I have eyes.

Jahh
03-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Lol, how can people possibly be upset w/ interest in Maulaluga? We had freaking Chase Blackburn at LB last year. Giants fans have been brainwashed.

Almost anything is an upgrade, seriously. At least a change brings hope. With our current corp, there is no hope!

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:19 AM
They might as well re-sign Rivers instead being he's better and more athletic....probably would come cheaper too given his injury history.

Jahh
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
They might as well re-sign Rivers instead being he's better and more athletic....probably would come cheaper too given his injury history.
Better and more athletic is great but doesn't make a difference if you can't see the field.

ryan12
03-14-2013, 09:25 AM
if we can get him for cheap why not

FBomb
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Man....FA period makes everyone so nasty.

TCHOF
03-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Lol, how can people possibly be upset w/ interest in Maulaluga? We had freaking Chase Blackburn at LB last year. Giants fans have been brainwashed.

Almost anything is an upgrade, seriously. At least a change brings hope. With our current corp, there is no hope!

+1

fansince69
Wrong. Don't need to know what PFF says about Blackburn to know that he is literally the worst starting Linebacker in the league.

It's like: If CC Brown had managed ONE interception in 2009 people around here would be like "well he's not all that bad..." No. Chase Blackburn is the LB version of CC Brown. No PFF necessary, I have eyes.+1....anything including a bag boy from the local supermarket would be an upgrade over Chase....nothing personal ...I love his hustle and his attitude...he just is NOT very athletic or talented.....time to move on

titwio
Better and more athletic is great but doesn't make a difference if you can't see the field.

Yeah but when he did play he was probably the best LB on the team. If they can get him for cheap then it's worth it for the upside IMO.

Carter.525
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
if we can get him for cheap why not

this.. I don't hate the idea.. I'd prefer Blackburn though

BlueJayC
03-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Should have drafted this guy in the first place......despite what PFF or whoever says the guy is a solid MLB....or at least better than any MLB the Giants have fielded in recent memory.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM

uh oh....now you're going to get it!!!

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Blackburn was the better LB of the two last year. I'd rather roll with Chase too.

blueribbon
03-14-2013, 09:35 AM
He' just not the same guy he used to be.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Blackburn was the better LB of the two last year. I'd rather roll with Chase too.

Not even remotely true.

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Not even remotely true.

Just visit the local Bengals forum and they'll tell you all you need to hear.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Just visit the local Bengals forum and they'll tell you all you need to hear.

When I come to rely on Bengals' fans (or any fan base) for my football knowledge, I'll jump off a building.

Chase had a few more highlights (44 FF, 6 PD, 1 INT), Maualuga had more consistency (122 tackles to Chase's 94).

BTW the Bengals were 6th in overall defense and 12th in run defense this year.

blueribbon
03-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Maybe he can show David Diehl the proper way to drink and drive. Oh wait no.....bad idea.

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:50 AM
These are the numbers between the two last year:

Maualuga 16 games: 122tkls 1sack 0-FF's 0-Ints 4 PD

Blackburn 15 games: 98tkls 3sacks 4-FF's 1-Int 6 PD

Blackburn has more production in every area except tackles and is the more impactful LB. More forced fumbles and turnovers, more passes defensed and more sacks. If he plays that extra game he'd be well over 100 tackles too. Not sure how Rey had a better year than him.

TheEnigma
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Just do what we have to in order to secure Dansby. He played really well last year despite the torn bicep. Brinkley is probably the more realistic avenue though.

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
When I come to rely on Bengals' fans (or any fan base) for my football knowledge, I'll jump off a building.

Chase had a few more highlights (44 FF, 6 PD, 1 INT), Maualuga had more consistency (122 tackles to Chase's 94).

BTW the Bengals were 6th in overall defense and 12th in run defense this year.

Check my previous post....I have chase at 98 tackles and playing in one less game too. Burfict was clearly picking up the slack on the LB corps last year.

Sundown
03-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Ugh just draft ogletree damn it!!

titwio
03-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Or Arthur Brown.

Carter.525
03-14-2013, 09:58 AM

+1

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Check my previous post....I have chase at 98 tackles and playing in one less game too. Burfict was clearly picking up the slack on the LB corps last year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlacCh21.htm

94 combined (not that it makes a difference).

And Vontaze Burfict had 5 more tackles than Maualuga with about 20% more snaps. Not sure where you see him "picking up for Mauluga" coming from.

tonyt830
03-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I guess the one difference I see in Maualuga and Blackburn is age---Rey has youth on his side, and thats about it to me. I mean Chase may not be the best of athletes and a liability in coverage, but Rey is not an upgrade in that area either.

I, like others, wouldnt mind Rivers back---but his health is always going to be a concern.

Heck I may even be aboard the Brinkley or Dansby bandwagon before Maualuga.

bigblue58
03-14-2013, 10:03 AM

You are out of your cotton picking mind sir! I wasn't even going to dignify your comment with a response, but it would have robbed me of the opportunity to tell you how utterly ludicrous it is!

Cloud57
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
2013 will be terrible, luckily we play in the NFC east

TheEnigma
03-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Maualuga as a SOLB option maybe. He looks lost out there when he plays in the middle of a defense.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
I guess the one difference I see in Maualuga and Blackburn is age---Rey has youth on his side, and thats about it to me. I mean Chase may not be the best of athletes and a liability in coverage, but Rey is not an upgrade in that area either.

I, like others, wouldnt mind Rivers back---but his health is always going to be a concern.

Heck I may even be aboard the Brinkley or Dansby bandwagon before Maualuga.

I'd prefer Dansby and a solid draft pick over Maualuga as well.

Brinkley is potential but he couldn't call the defense right off the bat (or at least, he never has).

flashnando

^^^^THIS!^^^^

Kruunch
Maualuga as a SOLB option maybe. He looks lost out there when he plays in the middle of a defense.

This I can agree with.

Carter.525
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM

so bring in Blackburn and Maualuga??

titwio
03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlacCh21.htm

94 combined (not that it makes a difference).

And Vontaze Burfict had 5 more tackles than Maualuga with about 20% more snaps. Not sure where you see him "picking up for Mauluga" coming from.

I get my stats from NFL.com it's more accurate.
http://www.nfl.com/player/chaseblackburn/2506587/profile ....your right it doesn't really make a difference but Blackburn was definitely the LB who had the better year and made more of an impact.

I mentioned Burfict because watching their games on NFL Replay he was always more involved on that corps and was flying around. If he got more snaps than Maualuga then that tells you something about how they feel about him considering Rey started 16 games and Burfict only 14.

bigblue58
03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Between this news and the news that the Giants are interested in Deangelo Hall....I think that someone needs to smell Reese's breath, because i think the dude is working drunk!
Someone get ALANON on the phone because I think we may have to do an intervention with the obviously inebriated Jerry Reese

Cloud57
03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Between this news and the news that the Giants are interested in Deangelo Hall....I think that someone needs to smell Reese's breath, because i think the dude is working drunk!
Someone get ALANON on the phone because I think we may have to do an intervention with the obviously inebriated Jerry Reesedude in Reese we trust! lmao

TheEnigma
03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
so bring in Blackburn and Maualuga??

I would be scared to watch our defense with both of them out there at the same time. Any decent QB would know to exploit that weakness in a heartbeat.

Jahh
03-14-2013, 10:17 AM
I do not want to see Blackburn back in NY. Fans are loyal to a fault when they shouldn't be and at other times quick to try and run someone out of town.

bigblue58
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
This isn't addition by subtraction...this is addition by sub-STANCE abuse!

GameTime
03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

It's like: If CC Brown had managed ONE interception in 2009 people around here would be like "well he's not all that bad..." No. Chase Blackburn is the LB version of CC Brown. No PFF necessary, I have eyes.
exactly....I dont need any stat farm to tell me that Chase was the best the Giants had last year at MLB and is better then RM coming into the Giants system....

tonyt830
03-14-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd prefer Dansby and a solid draft pick over Maualuga as well.

Brinkley is potential but he couldn't call the defense right off the bat (or at least, he never has).right, I can agree with that--Dansby is 31, turns 32 in November. Maybe a cap friendly contract for him, 2 years? And hopefully draft a middle linebacker in the draft to groom and get some playing time on special teams.

And like enigma mentioned in his post, I might be ok with Maualuga at the Sam, moreso than the mike.

I remember a few posters on here wanted Maualuga a few years back when he and Laurinitus came out that year. Now correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Maualuga play the Sam when he was at USC? I believe Cushing was the mike.

GameTime
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM

cept for Herz or anyone else the Giants have tried there...
why is RM so good and why would he better then Blackburn???

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Ty...Ogletree needs to get drafted, its by far the biggest need, and a player of that caliber falling to us at 19 is not going to happen every year.

tdawg1413
03-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Jenny Vrentas on Twitter is reporting we also have interest in Justin Durant. He is pretty good. Would like if we could pull him in.

titwio
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Jenny Vrentas on Twitter is reporting we also have interest in Justin Durant. He is pretty good. Would like if we could pull him in.

He's nothing special. He'd just be in the mix with the rest of the mediocre's. The Giants need some REAL talent at the position.

Buddy333
03-14-2013, 10:44 AM
What's with them and Cincy's LBs?Both USC guys too.

titwio
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Both USC guys too.

The wrong two also. Clay and Cushing are the good ones.

TCHOF
03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
exactly....I dont need any stat farm to tell me that Chase was the best the Giants had last year at MLB and is better then RM coming into the Giants system....

The fact that Chase was the best that the Giants had last year at MLB is true, but doesn't mean that he is a good MLB . . .

titwio
03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
The fact that Chase was the best that the Giants had last year at MLB is true, but doesn't mean that he is a good MLB . . .

What he's saying is why bring in Rey when he's not an upgrade over Chase and will have to learn a whole new scheme in the process?

Martyr
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by jomo
We've set a very low bar for LB's here recently. Change is good!

I stole this from another thread

TCHOF
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
What he's saying is why bring in Rey when he's not an upgrade over Chase and will have to learn a whole new scheme in the process?

Anyone is an upgrade over Chase

GreenZone
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Just because someone is "reportedly" coming to see the Giants doesn't mean the player is going to be signed.

If the team sees something in a young guy from a college scheme he was in, and sees that the player is being mishandled in a bad scheme, then, sure, there's a chance a player could be signed at a bargain price and develop into a solid starter or depth player.

But the invitation may or may not even be true, and if it is, the majority of players that visit are not signed.

Regardless, there are a huge number of holes to fill with all the UFA's on the roster, with barely any money to sign more than draft picks. You are not going to get the best free agents to sign here, but only perhaps the ones whose stock can rise under the Giants' system.

My biggest concern about losing Chase to an NFC East rival is the brain drain. Chase knows too much about the Giants' scheme and can articulate it. Fortuneately, though, the Cowboys literally don't have the money right now to sign a practice squad player, let alone a veteran.

titwio
03-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Oh come on....He wasn't that bad. Not sure why people bash the guy so bad. Yes he's not ideal athletically and could definitely be upgraded but he's pretty solid and makes up forany lack of talent with skill and instincts. I actually feel a lot better when he did play last year as opposed to not. Herzlich was a lot worse.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Mark Herzlich?

tonyt830
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Jenny Vrentas on Twitter is reporting we also have interest in Justin Durant. He is pretty good. Would like if we could pull him in.Im even ok with Durant over Maualuga. Is he a mike backer or does he play outside? I like Daryl Smith from the Jags, I believe he is 31 and has played both the Sam and Mike for them.

And I know nycsportzfan likes this guy---James Anderson, from the Panthers. I think he is more of a Sam backer.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:08 AM
"Just because someone is "reportedly" coming to see the Giants doesn't mean the player is going to be signed."

Thanks for clearing that up!! Thank God someone smarter than the rest of us showed up!

TCHOF
Mark Herzlich?

Ha ha . . . got me there

Kruunch
I get my stats from NFL.com it's more accurate.
http://www.nfl.com/player/chaseblackburn/2506587/profile ....your right it doesn't really make a difference but Blackburn was definitely the LB who had the better year and made more of an impact.

I mentioned Burfict because watching their games on NFL Replay he was always more involved on that corps and was flying around. If he got more snaps than Maualuga then that tells you something about how they feel about him considering Rey started 16 games and Burfict only 14.

I disagree about Blackburn having a better year (VASTLY disagree) ... it wasn't even close.

And Burfict had more snaps because he played the WILL and Maualuga (as the MLB) got pulled in Nickle packages (as all MLBs do).

Had nothing to do with who was better.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Apparently you do ;)

titwio
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I disagree about Blackburn having a better year (VASTLY disagree) ... it wasn't even close.

VASTLY?....Sorry we'll just have to disagree then. When I think of a player having a vastly better year I think of guys like Bowman or PWilly. Not Rey Maualuga. Not even close.

BigBlue1971
03-14-2013, 11:15 AM

i dont know if thats exactly correct! Chase has always been on the low end of the visibility meter but he has made some big plays for us!

i mean you can say he was directly responsibile for us winning a sb! even after that he continued to play hard!

hes a hard nosed guy who does his job!

hes been more consistent than Maualuga imo!

GreenZone
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
"Just because someone is "reportedly" coming to see the Giants doesn't mean the player is going to be signed."

Thanks for clearing that up!! Thank God someone smarter than the rest of us showed up!

It's amazing how touchy people are on these boards and how flame wars often escalate from it. The comment wasn't meant with you or your thread in mind. Just a reminder to many who over dramatize the invitation of every reported move, when so much of this reporting isn't even true.

But thanks for the personal putdown, as you represent and speak for the crowd.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
It's amazing how touchy people are on these boards and how flame wars often escalate from it. The comment wasn't meant with you or your thread in mind. Just a reminder to many who over dramatize the invitation of every reported move, when so much of this reporting isn't even true.

But thanks for the personal putdown, as you represent and speak for the crowd.

I was making a joke.......and you're calling ME touchy??? lol....priceless.

I think this may be a first....someone is insulted by being labled as "smarter than the rest of us"

ironfox
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
cincy got worse luck with lbs than we do. we may not have any good lbs but at least we dont spend first roumd picks on them. reese like to wait till later rounds n pickup guys like sintim n dillard

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
VASTLY?....Sorry we'll just have to disagree then. When I think of a player having a vastly better year I think of guys like Bowman or PWilly. Not Rey Maualuga. Not even close.

Yes I understand ... you're drawing your conclusions from the highlights.

RM is an upgrade over CB. Not a HUGE upgrade mind you but an upgrade with slightly better upside (mostly due to age).

There are better options then either of those two for us however (as mentioned previously). My only contention is people saying how bad RM is, which is simply not true.

P.S. - The source of Bengal fans' disappointment in RM stems from expectation. RM was considered to be on a par with Claw Matthews when drafted (and a better pick by some). Obviously it's apples and oranges and RM never materialized that far. Having said all that, the Bengals are still trying to keep RM.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
cincy got worse luck with lbs than we do. we may not have any good lbs but at least we dont spend first roumd picks on them. reese like to wait till later rounds n pickup guys like sintim n dillard

Dunno if I'd say that ... the squeezed more life out of Dhani Jones then I thought he had in him and NO ONE expected Burfict to be nearly the player he ended up being in 2012.

GreenZone
03-14-2013, 11:25 AM
I was making a joke.......and you're calling ME touchy??? lol....priceless.

It's funny is how hard it is to tell what is a joke and what isn't when it comes to writing. It can be taken two ways. But what it did was derail my main point of the post, which would have been better to address, which was more on point to advance the topic at hand.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
It's funny is how hard it is to tell what is a joke and what isn't when it comes to writing. It can be taken two ways. But what it did was derail my main point of the post, which would have been better to address, which was more on point to advance the topic at hand.

Having a sense of humor helps.

TheEnigma
03-14-2013, 11:30 AM
RM really struggles in pass coverage but I did notice that he plays around the 260 range. Maybe he should shed a few lbs of weight?

tdawg1413
03-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Im even ok with Durant over Maualuga. Is he a mike backer or does he play outside? I like Daryl Smith from the Jags, I believe he is 31 and has played both the Sam and Mike for them.

And I know nycsportzfan likes this guy---James Anderson, from the Panthers. I think he is more of a Sam backer.

Pretty sure Durant is a SAM backer, so outside. We have need. I do like Anderson better though. Would be a very nice pickup.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
RM really struggles in pass coverage but I did notice that he plays around the 260 range. Maybe he should shed a few lbs of weight?

Yep ... but not sure if it would help. He's never been great at going backwards. Pure downhill guy.

moosedrool
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
PFF ratings on Rey Maualuga

2009: +5.1
2010: +5.8
2011: -12.8
2012: -29.7

No thanks

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:35 AM
PFF ratings on Rey Maualuga

2009: +5.1
2010: +5.8
2011: -12.8
2012: -29.7

No thanks

PFF should rate themselves.

Worst site ever.

titwio
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Yes I understand ... you're drawing your conclusions from the highlights.

How do you make this assumption? I already mentioned I have NFL Replay and I watch ALL the games.

RM is an upgrade over CB. Not a HUGE upgrade mind you but an upgrade with slightly better upside (mostly due to age).
There are better options then either of those two for us however (as mentioned previously). My only contention is people saying how bad RM is, which is simply not true.

Hey your entitled to your opinion but I'm just going to have to disagree with you. I don't see the potential upswing of RM over Chase. Chase knows the system a lot more, doesn't have to learn a new system, and has experience making the calls at the Mike. If you look at the stats half of Rey's tackles were assisted. He had 62 total tackles and 60 with help. Chase had 64 and 34 with help. That's what I mean with players making more of an impact. Chase created way more opportunities for turnovers, showed he's better at getting after the QB and made more plays in the passing game.

I'm sorry....I don't see anything over RM's career that leads me to believe he's an upgrade over him. Age may be the only thing.

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Worst site ever.

uh oh....now you've done it. Prepare to be moose drooled!!:D

GameTime
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
also doesnt mean he sucked either.....which he didnt

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:39 AM
5 pages of "who's the better mediocre LB?".......I love this board!!!:D

moosedrool
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Worst site ever.

LOL. Yea, people who grade every player on every play and every game are the worst site ever. Not to mention many teams, including the Giants, purchase and use their stats.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203889904577199781897959096.html

GameTime
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
5 pages of "who's the better mediocre LB?".......I love this board!!!:D

shows the sad state of the Giants LB group

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
shows the sad state of the Giants LB group

I agree......I'm putting it out there....We are going either TE or LB in the first round. Book it!

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
How do you make this assumption? I already mentioned I have NFL Replay and I watch ALL the games.

Hey your entitled to your opinion but I'm just going to have to disagree with you. I don't see the potential upswing of RM over Chase. Chase knows the system a lot more, doesn't have to learn a new system, and has experience making the calls at the Mike. If you look at the stats half of Rey's tackles were assisted. He had 62 total tackles and 60 with help. Chase had 64 and 34 with help. That's what I mean with players making more of an impact. Chase created way more opportunities for turnovers, showed he's better at getting after the QB and made more plays in the passing game.

I'm sorry....I don't see anything over RM's career that leads me to believe he's an upgrade over him. Age may be the only thing.

Sure it's all opinion and you're as entitled as I am and all that.

Here's one very large contributing factor (in my mind) ... the Bengals have made second contract offers to RM to stay and he's turned them down.

The Giants' only offer to Chase was a one year, vet minimum deal.

I like Chase ... but an MLB who can't shed a block (and this is why Chase is fundamentally worse then RM) is ultimately a liability (as proven by our run defense this year).

Chase had better instincts and knowledge than RM ... but it only translates in fits and bursts.

GameTime
03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
nobody really knows how RM would fit and adapt to the Giants D.
We know what we have in Blackburn. To say RM would be better sight unseen is just a wild *** guess....

TheEnigma
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree......I'm putting it out there....We are going either TE or LB in the first round. Book it!

I take it you have a plan to mind control Reese?

FBomb
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I take it you have a plan to mind control Reese?

Roofies

G-Men Surg.
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Roofies
lol

titwio
03-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Sure it's all opinion and you're as entitled as I am and all that.

Here's one very large contributing factor (in my mind) ... the Bengals have made second contract offers to RM to stay and he's turned them down.

The Giants' only offer to Chase was a one year, vet minimum deal.

I like Chase ... but an MLB who can't shed a block (and this is why Chase is fundamentally worse then RM) is ultimately a liability (as proven by our run defense this year).

Chase had better instincts and knowledge than RM ... but it only translates in fits and bursts.

Fair enough....

I have to go cause my damn computer is giving me blue screen errors and I have to keep restarting it. Check back in with you guys later.

BlueSanta
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Here are the games last year that Rey had 10+ tackles...

Cleveland
Washington
Giants
Miami
Baltimore
Texans.

What do all those teams have in common? They like to run. Rey will help vs the run

I have concerns about him being mobile enough to be on the field for 3rd downs, but the fact is he is better at the primary function of the position than Chase Blackburn. Chase wasnt exactly mobile enough for 3rd downs either and he was a huge liability vs the run. Feel free to go back and watch the 2nd skins game again if you dont believe it.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:58 AM
LOL. Yea, people who grade every player on every play and every game are the worst site ever. Not to mention many teams, including the Giants, purchase and use their stats.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203889904577199781897959096.html

Lol PFF has ranked DD as one of the worst tackles for a few years now, yet the Giants have kept him and won two SBs with him.

I reiterate ... worst site ever.

But ignorance is bliss my friend ... have at it.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
nobody really knows how RM would fit and adapt to the Giants D.
We know what we have in Blackburn. To say RM would be better sight unseen is just a wild *** guess....

You could say that about every LBer in the league that doesn't play for the Giants.

BTW we did see him last year when we lost to the Bengals. :(

moosedrool
03-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Lol PFF has ranked DD as one of the worst tackles for a few years now, yet the Giants have kept him and won two SBs with him.

Ignorance is your middle name Kruunch

Now, from temporary offices in an Indianapolis Marriott, the Giants are using pieces of Mr. Hornsby's data as they get ready for the Patriots. "It's definitely valuable information," says Jon Berger, the Giants' director of football information, who for competitive reasons declines to elaborate.

GameTime
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
You could say that about every LBer in the league that doesn't play for the Giants.

BTW we did see him last year when we lost to the Bengals. :(
no you cant because most MLBs are clearly better then Chase or what RM has shown. Hey....if he comes to the Giants I wont be upset. Hope he does and kicks some ***.

JB456
03-14-2013, 12:10 PM

DD is pretty bad at this point in his career. I think you just convinced me that PFF is a good site.

Thanks...

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Ok you guys need to stop reading 5 word cut sentences.

Maluaga is NOT a bad MLB. Quite the reverse. He had a 122 combined tackles in 2012 (his highest total) and this was his first year at MLB. Marvin Lewis called him out during the year in an attempt to spark a defense that was flailing all around (which is where most people are getting this silly notion that he's not a good MLB from).

The major concern with Maualuga as an MLB is his pass coverage in our system (he didn't drop well this year). Part of that might have been his lack of familiarity with the position. That's up to the Giants' personnel guys to determine. However if they determine that that is a fixable variable and we can afford him, he'd be an awesome addition to the Giants and an instant upgrade over Blackburn.

i agree, but i think your a little too hopful about his inability to effectively drop. He is who he is

BlueSanta
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
i agree, but i think your a little too hopful about his inability to effectively drop. He is who he is

Run stopping is the primary role of a MLB. That is why they usually come off the field in nickle situations. Rey is WAY better than Chase vs the run and it isnt like chase was great at dropping back either. So I dont see how this wouldnt be a nice lil upgrade.

122 tackles was 20th in the league, and that isnt bad at all, especially for a 43 MLB. We can expect to see a lot of running in the NFC east this year. The Eagles, Skins are certainly run teams and the gameplan for beating the Boys has always been to stop the run and make Romo put it up, then just wait for the choke.

MattMeyerBud
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Run stopping is the primary role of a MLB. That is why they usually come off the field in nickle situations. Rey is WAY better than Chase vs the run and it isnt like chase was great at dropping back either. So I dont see how this wouldnt be a nice lil upgrade.

122 tackles was 20th in the league, and that isnt bad at all, especially for a 43 MLB. We can expect to see a lot of running in the NFC east this year. The Eagles, Skins are certainly run teams and the gameplan for beating the Boys has always been to stop the run and make Romo put it up, then just wait for the choke.

yea definitly, I agree but my point is that im not as hopful about him turning into a guy that can drop back and play the pass

I would love Mualuga (at the right price and not over Dansby)

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM

Oh I'm totally with you on that. The main reason I'm not all excited about RM is that he's a total liability in coverage.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
yea definitly, I agree but my point is that im not as hopful about him turning into a guy that can drop back and play the pass

I would love Mualuga (at the right price and not over Dansby)

Yeah I'm much more excited about Dansby and drafting an LB early.

We're on the same page here.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 12:41 PM
They could just be looking to fill the roster. They dont even have a viable backup at MLB.

njg85m

Downright ridiculous statement.

TheEnigma

We're on the same page here.

We could get a really good LB to drop to the 2nd or even 3rd round with a large amount of talent being at other positions. No one really appeals to me in the 1st.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
We could get a really good LB to drop to the 2nd or even 3rd round with a large amount of talent being at other positions. No one really appeals to me in the 1st.

I was thinking Arthur Brown in the second. Awesome range. Flawless technique. Solid solid thumper and he can cover well.

And the fact that the Giants are working out Greene, tells me that they're targeting in that range (2nd-3rd round) for a LBer.

DVision
03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
I was thinking Arthur Brown in the second. Awesome range. Flawless technique. Solid solid thumper and he can cover well.

And the fact that the Giants are working out Greene, tells me that they're targeting in that range (2nd-3rd round) for a LBer.

You think Arthur Brown will last that long? Unfortunately I think he'll be long gone due to the qualities you mention (especially his range) The latest NFL.com mock has him going to the Vikings in the 1st.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
You think Arthur Brown will last that long? Unfortunately I think he'll be long gone due to the qualities you mention (especially his range) The latest NFL.com mock has him going to the Vikings in the 1st.

He's a solid 2nd rounder on most mocks I've seen (Walter, CBS, Pro Scout, etc ...).

And he might slide further than that for a few reasons:

1) ILB isn't a popular position for a high draft pick (barring an absolute blue chipper)

2) He isn't a highlight guy. Doesn't do anything flashy ... just does everything right. Believe it or not, some personnel guys mirror fans in that they get swayed by flashy highlights.

3) This draft isn't actually considered deep in quality LBers (hence the current LBer feeding frenzy in free agency)

I suspect he might even fall to the third (if we don't grab him earlier). However having had a really solid Combine, this scenario is starting to seem more unlikely. I definitely think he's there in the second when we pick.

Carter.525
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM

I think if JR wants Brown, he'll have to take him in the 1st.. and Greene would go before the 3rd round pick

DVision
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
He's a solid 2nd rounder on most mocks I've seen (Walter, CBS, Pro Scout, etc ...).

And he might slide further than that for a few reasons:

1) ILB isn't a popular position for a high draft pick (barring an absolute blue chipper)

2) He isn't a highlight guy. Doesn't do anything flashy ... just does everything right. Believe it or not, some personnel guys mirror fans in that they get swayed by flashy highlights.

3) This draft isn't actually considered deep in quality LBers (hence the current LBer feeding frenzy in free agency)

I suspect he might even fall to the third (if we don't grab him earlier). However having had a really solid Combine, this scenario is starting to seem more unlikely. I definitely think he's there in the second when we pick.

If he were to be there for us in the 2nd it'd be a dream come true! I think he'd be a day 1 starter and a good 1 at that! The Vikings scenario isn't out the question though considering Brinkley is gone and he took the job from Henderson. They need a ILB and at the moment they have a couple 1sts.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 01:36 PM
If he were to be there for us in the 2nd it'd be a dream come true! I think he'd be a day 1 starter and a good 1 at that! The Vikings scenario isn't out the question though considering Brinkley is gone and he took the job from Henderson. They need a ILB and at the moment they have a couple 1sts.

Agreed all the way around.

Giantslb66
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Ugh just draft ogletree damn it!! Yeah buddy!!!!!!

Giants5699
03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I want Mingo in the draft. Based on the way he Maualuga performed last year, I'd love him on the Giants. Young, and has a lot of potential. TC will straighten him out as far as his off field issues.

tonyt830
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM

I would love Mualuga (at the right price and not over Dansby) I would take Dansby in a heartbeat over Maualuga, at the right price of course.

We're on the same page here.Right on the page with you as well!

And the fact that the Giants are working out Greene, tells me that they're targeting in that range (2nd-3rd round) for a LBer.I would definitely be ok with Brown or Greene in the 2nd rd. I had Brown in my original mock at 19, which some posters told me was too early. So he or Greene in the 2nd would be ideal.

AGiantDynasty
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Giants thought process in regards to our LB corp:

"Lets throw a bunch of **** against the wall and see what sticks.."

hugehomer
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM

And yes Reese really has a keen eye when it comes to linebacker talent.LOL

CRH54
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I remember Maualuga's draft year, all you guys wanted the Giants to draft him with their first pick.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
03-14-2013, 07:18 PM
He is pretty bad but maybe they feel a change of scenery would help. Like Brinkley better though.AHHAH how did they not take down your avatar? That chick is fully nude with paint all over her body, I seen the whole photo shots of it LMAO