PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker deal should dictate Cruz' value...

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Wes Welker deal should dictate Cruz' value yes? So even if teams were willing to pay a little more, say 7 or even 8m a year, I think the Giants can match an offer like this, cant see how they wont.

Patriots made a big risk letting go of there "security blanket," but at least they already got a suitable replacement. If Cruz is taken away from a contract from 6-8m a year, I will lose all faith in Jerry Reese and the FO.

BuffyBlueII
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
West Welker deal should dictate Cruz' value yes? So even if teams were willing to pay a little more, say 7 or even 8m a year, I think the Giants can match an offer like this, cant see how they wont.

Patriots made a big risk letting go of there "security blanket," but at least they already got a suitable replacement. If Cruz is taken away from a contract from 6-8m a year, I will lose all faith in Jerry Reese and the FO.

I don't think JR should pay any more than roughly 6 per year for VC. The bar has been set and it would be nice to stick to it. No way VC should get 7-8 per year.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry Im sure there were tons of posts like this, just got on and had to say something.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't think JR should pay any more than roughly 6 per year for VC. The bar has been set and it would be nice to stick to it. No way VC should get 7-8 per year.

And thats what Im thinking, 6m is very reasonable for Cruz' value.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
West Welker deal should dictate Cruz' value yes? So even if teams were willing to pay a little more, say 7 or even 8m a year, I think the Giants can match an offer like this, cant see how they wont. Patriots made a big risk letting go of there "security blanket," but at least they already got a suitable replacement. If Cruz is taken away from a contract from 6-8m a year, I will lose all faith in Jerry Reese and the FO. $6M is the floor. Cruz has way more potential than either Welket or Amendola

ryan12
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
who is west welker?

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
$6M is the floor. Cruz has way more potential than either Welket or Amendola

I agree with that, but Welker getting 6m should lower the ceiling a little. At least from what Ive heard here and elsewhere, where Cruz may get offered 10m. Now I dont see this happening, this is a good thing.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:49 AM
who is west welker?

Its early, forgive me.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
West Welker deal should dictate Cruz' value yes? So even if teams were willing to pay a little more, say 7 or even 8m a year, I think the Giants can match an offer like this, cant see how they wont.

Not even remotely.

Welker is 6 years older than Cruz and took less money to go to the Broncos (offered more from the Titans).

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
I agree with that, but Welker getting 6m should lower the ceiling a little. At least from what Ive heard here and elsewhere, where Cruz may get offered 10m. Now I dont see this happening, this is a good thing.

It certainly didn't raise the ceiling, true.

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
I agree with that, but Welker getting 6m should lower the ceiling a little. At least from what Ive heard here and elsewhere, where Cruz may get offered 10m. Now I dont see this happening, this is a good thing. I would guess between $7-8M

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:53 AM
who is west welker?
Well, he does play in the AFC West now...

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Apples and oranges.

Cruz is more much more versatile than Welker and he's much younger.

Cruz is NOT just a slot receiver. Cruz has speed and ball skills that cannot be taught. His YAC is ridiculous as well.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 11:56 AM
If I could change it, I would.

Zaggs
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Apples and oranges.

Cruz is more much more versatile than Welker and he's much younger.

Cruz is NOT just a slot receiver. Cruz has speed and ball skills that cannot be taught. His YAC is ridiculous as well.

He is more agile than fast. Being 30th in YAC last year is not what I would define as "ridiculous". 2011, yes. But he was also unknown as not drawing the best coverage. He also needs to be taught not to have so many drops as he was tied for 2nd in the league last year. So yeah, Cruz should only be asking for 6 mil TOPS.

StrahanSoup92
03-14-2013, 01:50 PM
He is more agile than fast. Being 30th in YAC last year is not what I would define as "ridiculous". 2011, yes. But he was also unknown as not drawing the best coverage. He also needs to be taught not to have so many drops as he was tied for 2nd in the league last year. So yeah, Cruz should only be asking for 6 mil TOPS.

Since Welker got 6m, I think Cruz can and will command a little more. As Roanoke mentioned, probably more in the 7-8 range. And like I said in the original post, if the Giants dont match an offer in this area, they are fools.

Broadway Blue
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
I am just worry will the Giants afford both Nicks and Cruz and the future

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 01:58 PM
I am just worry will the Giants afford both Nicks and Cruz and the future

The CAP space situation for the Giants improves after 2013.

giants8493
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
The CAP space situation for the Giants improves after 2013.How is that even possible? Shouldent it get worse after the beaty deal?

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
If I could change it, I would.

It's fixed

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
How is that even possible? Shouldent it get worse after the beaty deal?

No, Slip put out the information in the last week or so. It has to do with the number of players who will be under contract going into each season. Players always drop off the roster in FA. When some of them are making $5M+ this season and won't be here next season or two seasons from now it give us more space.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
How is that even possible? Shouldent it get worse after the beaty deal?

We have a lot of guys playing their last year in 2013 and a lot of voidable money for guys contracted through 2014.

Reese isn't quite the cap dunce people make him out to be. :rolleyes:

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
We have a lot of guys playing their last year in 2013 and a lot of voidable money for guys contracted through 2014.

Reese isn't quite the cap dunce people make him out to be. :rolleyes:

I think people look at CAP space as a "savings account" when it's really a checking account, meant to be spent.

Kruunch
03-14-2013, 02:12 PM
I think people look at CAP space as a "savings account" when it's really a checking account, meant to be spent.

Exactly.

Look at the records of teams that have $20M+ cap space before cuts. By and large, they're awful (ala the Eagles).

RoanokeFan
03-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Exactly.

Look at the records of teams that have $20M+ cap space before cuts. By and large, they're awful (ala the Eagles).

It's not how much we have or don't have under the CAP that's the issue. It what we have to do to get under. I would prefer we never restructure contracts.