PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand something regarding free agency and these board--Please help.

Giantterp
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Answer me this...I would think it safe to assume that if someone is spending time reading and posting to this board that they would be a "more than average" level fan and would therefore have a significant knowledge of today's NFL. Please explain the following:

Why do so many people here keep calling the Giant cheap or not understand what is happening? Every team in the NFL has only so much money to spend on their rosters! Sure, there are some things that can be done to manipulate this system, but you can only do too much. The system is designed for parity. If you have success over long periods of time (like the Giants) it probably means that you have a lot of good veteran players. These players over time will cost a lot of money and eventually, become too expensive to keep.

Most teams that have salary cap room are teams that don't have good players!!! Really, the only exceptions are teams with good young QB's like (Seattle and SF) and they have a small window until they will have to pay for their QB's and have cap problems of their own.

I certainly understand the debate on certain moves-like the Rolle contract Bass contract, should they have cut Bradshaw or should they go after Nick VS Cruz. Also, certainly no move is perfect. But, the organization is consistently raked among the best and is producing Superbowls. I just don't understand the complete ignorance of people who spend time here (as opposed to the average fan on the street)....

Am I crazy?

Rush4Blitz2
03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
nope

AllHailEli
03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Who said the Giants are cheap and we can get anybody we want since there is no limit? I'm curious. :)

Die-Hard
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
This board largely functions on the knee-jerk reactions of over-zealous fans who wont take the time to learn the most simple form of economics. Super Bowls MUST be won every year, or else the entire organization is one big failure.

Thats it in a nutshell. You are not crazy.

DaveBrown
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Answer me this...I would think it safe to assume that if someone is spending time reading and posting to this board that they would be a "more than average" level fan and would therefore have a significant knowledge of today's NFL. Please explain the following:

Why do so many people here keep calling the Giant cheap or not understand what is happening? Every team in the NFL has only so much money to spend on their rosters! Sure, there are some things that can be done to manipulate this system, but you can only do too much. The system is designed for parity. If you have success over long periods of time (like the Giants) it probably means that you have a lot of good veteran players. These players over time will cost a lot of money and eventually, become too expensive to keep.

Most teams that have salary cap room are teams that don't have good players!!! Really, the only exceptions are teams with good young QB's like (Seattle and SF) and they have a small window until they will have to pay for their QB's and have cap problems of their own.

I certainly understand the debate on certain moves-like the Rolle contract Bass contract, should they have cut Bradshaw or should they go after Nick VS Cruz. Also, certainly no move is perfect. But, the organization is consistently raked among the best and is producing Superbowls. I just don't understand the complete ignorance of people who spend time here (as opposed to the average fan on the street)....

Am I crazy?

Is it possible that the Giants roster may have higher than average salaries for many of the mid level players? That's a possible explanation for the bloated cap situation year after year. I'd like to see them have cap space to have the ability to re sign guys rather than make the big splash, but it's difficult when you're up near the limit every offseason. Reese knows what he is doing, obviously, so while moves like Mundy or Ross may not wow, neither did Stevie Brown when he signed.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Who said the Giants are cheap and we can get anybody we want since there is no limit? I'm curious. :)
I'm also curious, I don't see many comments like that at all.

JAYPEE
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Giants fans see other teams like KC or CLE spend boatloads of money to free agents and then complain why the Giants don't.

jomo
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
You are not crazy but your premise is incorrect. The typical person posting here does not have a significant knowledge of today's NFL and they certainly don't take the time or have the mental capacity to understand the finances of today's salary cap. They come here primarily to vent and don't want to be confused by facts.

giantsfam04
03-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Giants fans see other teams like KC or CLE spend boatloads of money to free agents and then complain why the Giants don't.

Yet when the giants do sing a fa, rolle, canty, bolley, people complain that we overpaid and now have no cap space. cant have it all.

Rat_bastich
03-15-2013, 07:03 AM
They come here primarily to vent and don't want to be confused by facts.

Quote of 2013!

TAILGATIN'
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
I think being that we are all fans, some of us get attached to certain players and to see them leave can be upsetting. I believe people are just unleashing some steam and this makes up the majority of the threads on this forum. We obviously cant keep everyone, but seeing some of your favorite, productive players leave for teams like the Eagles is def enough to wreck one's day. I think we've made at least 3 terrible moves so far, but understand the FO knows more than I ever will. I also think most fans understand the economics of today's NFL and you can no longer be sure the team you love today will look like the same the following year (as opposed to a decade or two ago when I feel it wasn't all about the $ for many players). Different ballgame in today's NFL, especially with the caps.