PDA

View Full Version : I have a question, can a player agree to sign for below the veteran minimum?

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Or are the year by year salaries set in stone?

So say Jacobs(or another player) wanted to come back and would play for only $150,000 (just an example) is that prohibited in the NFL?

Here's the chart:
http://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy121/optimus2g/NFLMinimumBaseSalaries-2011-2014_zpsfc94fd5c.png

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Basically, if a player isn't getting any interest because he could cost too much for the vet minimum could that player agree with a team to play for a certain amount, obviously lower than the set number?

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:18 PM
No they can't. Rules are rules.

Toadofsteel
03-14-2013, 11:20 PM
The League office has to sign off on all contracts, it's not just between player and team. The League will outright reject a contract if it breaks a rule in the CBA or would put a team over the cap.

ImElectric2
At first I thought this was a bad question. But you bring up valid points. Especially the guy not getting play because he'll cost too much. I hope someone finds out.

NYG4lifeNYK
No they can't. Rules are rules.

And you're positive about this or are you just guessing?

Seems kind of silly if you ask me because if a veteran player wanted to still play but isn't worth the type of money for his accrued seasons he's out of luck.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:22 PM
The League office has to sign off on all contracts, it's not just between player and team. The League will outright reject a contract if it breaks a rule in the CBA or would put a team over the cap.

Of course but that's my question, are the veteran minimum salaries set in stone, or are they just put in place to benefit the players?

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:24 PM
And you're positive about this or are you just guessing?

Seems kind of silly if you ask me because if a veteran player wanted to still play but isn't worth the type of money for his accrued seasons he's out of luck.
I'm sure I read it somewhere, I'll have a look.

The floor is there to prevent teams from loading up on the cheap. Parity is the goal, remember.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm sure I read it somewhere, I'll have a look.

The floor is there to prevent teams from loading up on the cheap. Parity is the goal, remember.

Sure it makes sense but every team could do it and both the player and organization would have to agree on it.

I suppose Super Bowl favorites would exploit this though come to think of it but this is for players who no longer garner interest from any of the 32 teams.

Flip Empty
03-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Ugh, it'll be in the CBA; I started sifting through it and it gave me a headache. http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

Rat_bastich
03-15-2013, 12:03 AM
I think if a player tried to take less than minimum the NFLPA would step in and put a stop to it. The NFLPA is not trying to hear about a player giving up the possibility of a good salary and jeopardizing future contracts for it's members. I think the minimum is the minimum and don't believe it can be circumvented.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 12:07 AM
I think if a player tried to take less than minimum the NFLPA would step in and put a stop to it. The NFLPA is not trying to hear about a player giving up the possibility of a good salary and jeopardizing future contracts for it's members. I think the minimum is the minimum and don't believe it can be circumvented.
This, basically. Going against it would be violating the terms of the CBA.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Of course but that's my question, are the veteran minimum salaries set in stone, or are they just put in place to benefit the players?

They are set in stone and are a contractual obligation. How else can we say it? :)

Hooligans
03-15-2013, 07:08 AM
At first I thought this was a bad question. But you bring up valid points. Especially the guy not getting play because he'll cost too much. I hope someone finds out.

No, a veteran CANNOT sign for less than the veteran minimum, but for cap purposes, veterans on the minimum only count as much as the rookie minimum, even though they are getting paid more. This rule was installed to ensure veterans weren't cut simply because their minimum is higher than one with less experience.

slipknottin
03-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Players can absolutely NOT sign for less than the minimum.

Drez
03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
No. They cannot play for less than the league minimum.