PDA

View Full Version : Are the Giants the victims of a low cap era and 1 or 2 bad signing?

teddy2700
03-14-2013, 11:47 PM
My biggest complaint in the Jerry Reese era is not enough playoff appearances. I meant the years he been the gmen he made in 07.08.2011, should had a 11 win season in 2010, they blew the game against philly i was there. thats not on him.

this year i can't faul Jerry for Osi and Webster being awful. There was signs of Tuck decline last year before he played great to another sb trophy. Look i know how hard to it is win titles.

My question is the Giants draft so many good player and have to let so many go, thats part of the inconistant with team.

f course every teams signs bad free contracts, part of the game

NYG4lifeNYK
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
You really need to proof read what you write before you submit it.

Not even entirely sure of your question. We had a lot of tough decisions to make to get under the cap and sign our own players.

gmen0820
03-14-2013, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say victims. We really aren't in terrible cap shape, especially if we shift our view more longterm. We're gonna have a lot of money coming off the books in upcoming years, and the team's elite will be significantly shifted.

JPP/Eli/Nicks/Cruz/Beatty/Linval/Prince will hopefully be our top 6 -- our core, if you will. With drafting as well, we should be able to remain contenders for as long as Eli's here, and hopefully when he is replaced one day.

giantsfam04
03-15-2013, 05:09 AM
the only thing a gm can do is put together the best roster possible after that it is up to the coaches and players. and if winning 2 titles in 4 years is being a victim there are plenty of teams that would love to be victims.

Giants5699
03-15-2013, 06:05 AM
We've won 2 Superbowls since Reese took over. He's been here for 6 years. No other team has won multiple super bowls since Reese took over as the Giants' GM.

Rat_bastich
03-15-2013, 06:08 AM
In the era of free agency you can only hope to keep a certain group of players. Enough so that there is an old guard that can pass the torch to the new guard...which would be your core. Free agency is designed to allow all teams to compete on a level playing field. While I agree the Giants do get close to the cap every year, I question more the teams that get nowhere near the cap. Also, the Giants seem to be one of the most efficient and probably get some of the greatest returns on their investments.

TCHOF
03-15-2013, 06:35 AM
When you have a franchise QB who has gotten paid, it is extremely difficult to manage your cap. Look at the Ravens this year.

Toadofsteel
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I don't question the Giant's management of actually getting under the cap, but I do question why we keep overpaid clunkers like Diehl and Rolle, while letting quality like Bennett and KP go...

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:19 AM
My biggest complaint in the Jerry Reese era is not enough playoff appearances. I meant the years he been the gmen he made in 07.08.2011, should had a 11 win season in 2010, they blew the game against philly i was there. thats not on him.

this year i can't faul Jerry for Osi and Webster being awful. There was signs of Tuck decline last year before he played great to another sb trophy. Look i know how hard to it is win titles.

My question is the Giants draft so many good player and have to let so many go, thats part of the inconistant with team.

All of that is on the coaches and players, not Reese.

We haven't had a losing season since TC's rookie year and *every* time we've missed the playoffs it's been by one game.

This has been the most well put together team, year after year, in the Giants' history since Free Agency began imo

Redeyejedi
03-15-2013, 08:40 AM

f course every teams signs bad free contracts, part of the game Can u really blame him for the playoff appearances. When the roster can rise up and win Super Bowls that tells me the roster hasnt been short on talent.
I believe in the vision of the team in his first few years as a GM especially on Defense. Big Physical CB's and a wave of pass rushers dictating to offenses how its going to be. This team needs to get back to being physical on defense if they do that there is enough playmakers on Offense i believe to win another Super Bowl.
I'm willing to give Fewell a pass for last season because I feel the Defensive players didnt play well enough or werent on the field. Mainstays on that defense Tuck,Osi and Webster all got old at the same time, guys this team counts on were all terrible. The Giants need to replace these guys in the draft if they want to get back into being a Super Bowl contender.

TheAnalyst
03-15-2013, 08:50 AM
We can all thank Eli. Thank him for getting us 2 SB championships and thank him for putting us in cap hell. His # is way too high. Show me another team that has won a SB where 1 player is getting 15% of the teams salary cap. You lose everyone around you and then can't compete. Ask the Ravens who just got freshly introduced to that situation.

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 08:55 AM
We can all thank Eli. Thank him for getting us 2 SB championships and thank him for putting us in cap hell. His # is way too high. Show me another team that has won a SB where 1 player is getting 15% of the teams salary cap. You lose everyone around you and then can't compete. Ask the Ravens who just got freshly introduced to that situation.Thanks Eli, those 2 SB's are worth much more.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 09:06 AM
We can all thank Eli. Thank him for getting us 2 SB championships and thank him for putting us in cap hell. His # is way too high. Show me another team that has won a SB where 1 player is getting 15% of the teams salary cap. You lose everyone around you and then can't compete. Ask the Ravens who just got freshly introduced to that situation.
Thank the front office.

What is your point, anyway? That you'd rather not have a good quarterback? In case you haven't noticed, you need one to win a title.

TCHOF
03-15-2013, 09:11 AM

So the Giants should have let Eli walk rather than sign him to a franchise QB deal? Should the Ravens have let Flacco walk?

Redeyejedi
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank the front office.

What is your point, anyway? That you'd rather not have a good quarterback? In case you haven't noticed, you need one to win a title. 1 thing I find interesting is the only QB who has won being paid a large cap number is Peyton. Brady hasnt won since getting paid, Eli's cap number was low the year the Giants won.
Teams like the Seahawks and 49ers have a huge advantage having very good QB's cheap for the next few seasons. 49ers have a 2 year window to finish the deal, Seahawks have 3. Then they will have to cut players and make choices like the Giants. Redskins will go crazy in FA next season to go all in after the cap penalties are gone.

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks Eli, those 2 SB's are worth much more.

And now we're screwed for the future. I can't stand the whole SB argument. I'm sure the Ravens right now are saying "Joe Flacco deserves this contract".

In a few years, I'd love to see what they have to say now. When you take up 15%, that's a ****-load.

Buddy333
03-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Victims? Lol. Do you know how many teams wish they where the Giants? Two rings in 6 years is a very good thing.

ryan12
03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
And now we're screwed for the future. I can't stand the whole SB argument. I'm sure the Ravens right now are saying "Joe Flacco deserves this contract".

In a few years, I'd love to see what they have to say now. When you take up 15%, that's a ****-load.

and 2 superbowl mvp's warrants his big contract. dont worry jr will come through and we will have a good enough product on the field next year to compete with everyone in nfl

Buddy333
03-15-2013, 09:23 AM
What Super Bowl winning QB over the past decade does not make a ton of cash?

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
And now we're screwed for the future. I can't stand the whole SB argument. I'm sure the Ravens right now are saying "Joe Flacco deserves this contract".In a few years, I'd love to see what they have to say now. When you take up 15%, that's a ****-load.That's not Eli's fault. That's the front office's fault for poorly managing the cap. What did Eli do wrong? Winning a SB to prove how much he's worth? Better trade for Sanchez I guess...

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 09:27 AM
So let me get this straight, you guys want to keep the 2 rings, have a QB that makes Mark Sanchez money, all so our GM wont't have to release superstars like Bennett, Bradshaw, Canty, Boley, Blackburn, and Phillips. Lol

You're right, how will we ever make the playoffs again.

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
That's not Eli's fault. That's the front office's fault for poorly managing the cap. What did Eli do wrong? Winning a SB to prove how much he's worth. Better trade for Cassel I guess...

I hate when people instinctively think I'm blaming Eli.

But then when I say the front office sucks and **** up the cap, people get on my case, "hey, we won 2 SBs"

There's no winning here.

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
So let me get this straight, you guys want to keep the 2 rings, have a QB that makes Mark Sanchez money, all so our GM wont't have to release superstars like Bennett, Bradshaw, Canty, Boley, Blackburn, and Phillips. Lol

You're right, how will we ever make the playoffs again.

Well, we never go for FAs because our cap sucks. We rely too heavily on the draft.

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 09:30 AM
I hate when people instinctively think I'm blaming Eli. But then when I say the front office sucks and **** up the cap, people get on my case, "hey, we won 2 SBs"There's no winning here.It's hard to win on the GMB lol. I know you aren't blaming Eli, but some people suggests that HE put us in this cap hole, which is far from the truth. Hopefully they'll learn from this sooner than later.

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:31 AM
It's hard to win on the GMB lol. I know you aren't blaming Eli, but some people suggests that HE put us in this cap hole, which is far from the truth. Hopefully they'll learn from this sooner than later.

Well, you can say he kind of "indirectly" puts us in the cap hole? lol.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Well, we never go for FAs because our cap sucks. We rely too heavily on the draft.

I would say our front office's theory and method to building the team has had good results, no?

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:35 AM
I would say our front office's theory and method to building the team has had good results, no?

Yes, some pretty good results. Even though you can't rely on the law of averages, I'm still worried that this one could be ineffective. We really need to fix that defense and the o-line. I'm hoping the Giants are full-force scouting.

hadenough
03-15-2013, 09:37 AM
I don't question the Giant's management of actually getting under the cap, but I do question why we keep overpaid clunkers like Diehl and Rolle, while letting quality like Bennett and KP go...

Yeah...that's the biggest issue I have with the Giants management...they are too loyal. They always keep guys with bigger salaries around a year or two longer than the should. Not just saying this is the issue with Diehl and Rolle...but historically that's what they do and one of the reasons they are always have a high cap number.

Conversely, the eagles are always way under the cap cause they cut players that are making too much money. Hence, Nnamdi, DRC, McNabb, Dawkins, etc.

However, I don't blame them for Bennett or KP. Bennett is overrated by people here. He is nothing more than an average TE in the NFL. I think the fact that he seems like a good guy and funny skews his actual talent level. He's not Gronk, Jimmy H, Gates, Gonzalez, Davis, Witten, etc. He's a second tier TE. He was solid for the Giants last year but nothing more. KP...he's not worth a long contract. He has injury issues and has never been a game changer for the Giants. They are two solid players but nothing that can't be replaced.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Yes, some pretty good results. Even though you can't rely on the law of averages, I'm still worried that this one could be ineffective. We really need to fix that defense and the o-line. I'm hoping the Giants are full-force scouting.

It does look a little scary, but we did win two SB's with Eli. He got what he deserved. I understand we all want more titles, but we all need to realize, that any team that wins multiple SB's or dare I say goes on a run and becomes a dynasty, it will be because they have a monster QB, and these guys get paid, bottom line. It's a QB driven league. The most dominant teams will have the best QBs, and those QB's will get huge contracts.. The good GMs will find a way to fit decent players around their centerpiece, while dealing with the cap. And so far our GM has done a hell of a job at that.

Roosevelt
03-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Super Victory = Big Salaries

Big Salaries = Complacency

Complacency = 2011 NY Giants

Rudyy
03-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Well, you can say he kind of "indirectly" puts us in the cap hole? lol.Yeah, by winning lol. Would you rather have cap room than 2 Sb's?

Moke
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, by winning lol. Would you rather have cap room than 2 Sb's?

I'd like to think the cap space is due to the SBs. People demand huge contracts. Then **** them. Management needs to stop acting ***** and start saying NO, your not inflated just because of the SB.

Look at Flacco, what a ridiculous contract LOL. He's so inconsistent and he's so highly paid.

They'll regret it.

I honestly think management in New York really needs to tighten up. If Diehl and Rolle got huge contracts, I'm starting to think David Wilson might get a 5 year, 40 million contract the year later.

Buddy333
03-15-2013, 10:43 AM
I'd like to think the cap space is due to the SBs. People demand huge contracts. Then **** them. Management needs to stop acting ***** and start saying NO, your not inflated just because of the SB.Look at Flacco, what a ridiculous contract LOL. He's so inconsistent and he's so highly paid.They'll regret it.I honestly think management in New York really needs to tighten up. If Diehl and Rolle got huge contracts, I'm starting to think David Wilson might get a 5 year, 40 million contract the year later.So inconsistent? He has a better post season record than Eli. What Super Bowl winning QB doesn't make big money?

Moke
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
So inconsistent? He has a better post season record than Eli. What Super Bowl winning QB doesn't make big money?

oh **** this, I am getting out of this section for good. It's a ****ing team sport. Get it through your head.

gmen0820
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
oh **** this, I am getting out of this section for good. It's a ****ing team sport. Get it through your head.It's a team sport, and QB is the most important part of the team. But don't let me stop you...

"No Moke, pleaaseeee, don't gooooo!!!"

Now you can feel like you are making a heroic effort to leave.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
oh **** this, I am getting out of this section for good. It's a ****ing team sport. Get it through your head.

It's a team sport, but it revolves around the QB. There is no debating this. Look at the SB winning QB's of the last 25 years, they are all either in the HOF, headed to the HOF, or have a very good chance at the HOF if they keep playing at the pace that they are playing, with the exception of Dilfer and Johnson. You can leave Flacco of the list for now if you'd like.

JesseJames
03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
people just have to decide if winning the SB last year is good enough to make them not be disappointed that they sucked this year, last year us last year and doesn't ease the pain of sucking this year....

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
people just have to decide if winning the SB last year is good enough to make them not be disappointed that they sucked this year, last year us last year and doesn't ease the pain of sucking this year....
They've sucked in plenty of other years, too. Even before Eli signed his franchise deal.

Buddy333
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
It's never easy to accept a poor season, but 2 rings in 6 years is something most NFL teams and fans wish they had. This year hey will probably have some huge holes. Next year they might have as much as $60 million under the cap and a great GM.

giantsfam04
03-15-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't understand what some fans want. People ***** about the cap hell we are in and that prevents us from signing or keeping players. When we do sign or keep quality players some people ***** that we overpaid.