PDA

View Full Version : I bet we retain Osi

giantsfan420
03-15-2013, 01:53 AM
The market for DE's has been pretty timid. Bennett just signed a deal for 5 mil/1 yr. Avril got 15 mil/2yr. The Eagles just signed Connor Barwin 36 mil/6 yrs.

Those 3 guys are entering their primes and are starters/every down players. Osi...well osi's exiting his prime and is a situational player. Bet we get him back for around 3 mil and maybe 2 yrs. so 6 mil. Maybe to appease him the giants guarantee all of it. that way he can retire a Giant and we get a guy who from time to time displays all world talent.

ELI_Iz_God
03-15-2013, 02:11 AM
The market for DE's has been pretty timid. Bennett just signed a deal for 5 mil/1 yr. Avril got 15 mil/2yr. The Eagles just signed Connor Barwin 36 mil/6 yrs.

Those 3 guys are entering their primes and are starters/every down players. Osi...well osi's exiting his prime and is a situational player. Bet we get him back for around 3 mil and maybe 2 yrs. so 6 mil. Maybe to appease him the giants guarantee all of it. that way he can retire a Giant and we get a guy who from time to time displays all world talent.

that about as productive as retaining DD

Giants5699
03-15-2013, 02:16 AM
I bet he goes to the Jets.

BuffyBlueII
03-15-2013, 02:17 AM
You know, maybe Osi not getting an offer from another team will help his attitude. The guy has so much pass rushing talent and can make plays happen when his head is on straight. I would like him to come back for a reasonable contract and retire as a NY Giant if his head is on straight. As much as we bash Osi because of his attitude the past couple seasons, there is no denying his talent as a pass rusher. That is what is so frustrating because we get disappointed when he is off his game.

Although his attitude was bad, I think Osi can turn it around. The guy was instrumental in our 2 SuperBowl runs and no matter what terms he left on, he will always be considered a NY Giant All Time Great.

Rat_bastich
03-15-2013, 02:23 AM
I think Osi is going to be one of those guys that a team grabs later on in Free Agency rather than early on. He is a 30+ pass rusher and a veteran that is going to expect a big pay day. When he does get signed by someone, it will probably be a 1-2 year deal and not for nearly as much as he had hoped for. Might even be after the draft once teams cement who they have coming to camp.

giantsfan420
03-15-2013, 03:40 AM
I think Osi is going to be one of those guys that a team grabs later on in Free Agency rather than early on. He is a 30+ pass rusher and a veteran that is going to expect a big pay day. When he does get signed by someone, it will probably be a 1-2 year deal and not for nearly as much as he had hoped for. Might even be after the draft once teams cement who they have coming to camp.exactly. which is why i think he stays. hes stated that he holds the idea of retiring a giant like strahan did very highly. if being able to do so is pretty much no different financially here or there, why would he not want to retire with his team? it isnt as if we havnt given him every shot to get that big contract elsewhere...its just no one values him nearly the way he does himself. ironically, we may have even valued him more than any other team...may still be the case

Rat_bastich
03-15-2013, 04:00 AM
exactly. which is why i think he stays. hes stated that he holds the idea of retiring a giant like strahan did very highly. if being able to do so is pretty much no different financially here or there, why would he not want to retire with his team? it isnt as if we havnt given him every shot to get that big contract elsewhere...its just no one values him nearly the way he does himself. ironically, we may have even valued him more than any other team...may still be the case

What comes to mind is when the Giants let his agent and him find a trade partner and no one really wanted him. That was a couple years back when he was younger. I don't know the chance that he comes back, but if he did he would have to be willing to accept that maybe he can't be a starter and would have to be a situational guy. As with most pass rushers, he was one that got his sacks in spurts and then would just disappear. Not sure what the value of a guy like this is out there in free agency.

I don't think I've even heard rumblings of an interested party from his camp. In fact the biggest news I've heard about Osi is his engagement.

Scoobie-Doo
03-15-2013, 05:35 AM
I like Osi on our team but hated his whining the past offseasons about contract.

To tell you the truth I like that the market for him is soft, hopefully now he eating his humble pie and sees that the giants we not low balling him.

EasyE23
03-15-2013, 08:04 AM
My only wish is that IF he remains with the Giants, he still has the intention of being the DPOY. Lofty goals, but still.....

NYGiantsFan56
03-15-2013, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't mind getting the 2013 NFL Defensive Player of the Year (LOL) back for veteran minimum as long he keeps his trap shut and just gets to that damn QB like he use to.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:08 AM

I think Osi burned his bridges here.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I bet he goes to the Jets.

This would not surprise me.

Or he goes to the Pats for cheap.

NYGiantsFan56
03-15-2013, 08:11 AM
This would not surprise me.

Or he goes to the Pats for cheap.
WOW. YOU DONT WANT THE 2013 NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR BACK? LOL. ON SECOND THOUGHT MAYBE YOUR RIGHT?

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
WOW. YOU DONT WANT THE 2013 NFL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR BACK? LOL. ON SECOND THOUGHT MAYBE YOUR RIGHT?

I'd take him back if he brought your caps lock key with him :)

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 08:24 AM

They will let him hang out in FA for a while before they do, if they do.

nhpgiantsfan
03-15-2013, 08:24 AM
I think Osi burned his bridges here.

Not true. Both TC and the front office both said they would love to have him back. TC is a big Osi supporter. I still doubt he returns but the longer he dangles out there and the more his price drops, who knows. We still probably can't afford him.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Not true. Both TC and the front office both said they would love to have him back. TC is a big Osi supporter. I still doubt he returns but the longer he dangles out there and the more his price drops, who knows. We still probably can't afford him.

What are they going to say? **** that *******?

Giants are always complimentary of outgoing players (like most teams)

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 08:29 AM
What are they going to say? **** that *******?

Giants are always complimentary of outgoing players (like most teams)

Osi is more likely about to learn his true market value. I don't think it's impossible for him to be here, but I think it will be a last resort option.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Osi is more likely about to learn his true market value. I don't think it's impossible for him to be here, but I think it will be a last resort option.

Impossible? No. High Improbable? I think so.

I think everyone (except Osi) knew his market value wasn't going to be high.

Oddly, the LBers have been getting all the big contracts in early FA this year while a ton of notable pass rushers and secondary are still hanging out (or have signed cheap short term deals).

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Oddly, the LBers have been getting all the big contracts in early FA this year while a ton of notable pass rushers and secondary are still hanging out (or have signed cheap short term deals).

When he said the DPOY thing, I just shook my head.

Flip Empty
03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
The impact of the read-option, perhaps?

ryan12
03-15-2013, 08:47 AM
no way we will resign him i agree i think he will go to jets pats or bucs

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
The impact of the read-option, perhaps?

More likely the re-emergence of the run game (ala the option offense).

Moke
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
I bet we retain Osi too.

Kruunch
03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
When he said the DPOY thing, I just shook my head.

Well I think he even realized what a joke that was when he said, hence his reticence to repeat himself.

It was a fairly silly thing to say.

The shame of it is, he's still a double digit sack guy in the right defense (granted, a veritable one trick pony).

GiantsSB23
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
The problem I have with this guy is the comment he made on NFL network about this year he'll be win the defensive player of the year!....You wait until you're a free agent and more than likely sign with another team to make that statement. You couldn't have that confidence when you were a Giant! Screw him, if he wants to stay a Giant put him on the practice squad!

TCHOF
03-15-2013, 09:30 AM

I agree . . . highly improbable.

Redeyejedi
03-15-2013, 09:33 AM
The impact of the read-option, perhaps? Half of them are pass rushing LB's for 3-4 defenses the other half went to the Dolphins who are overpaying every single player they sign.

To me LB's are still this least valued spot on a 4-3 Defense. Look at the snap counts they are playing less and less each season. If u can find a 245 lb that can cover like a safety then yes u break the bank for him other then that not worth it.

Hooligans
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM

The Giants don't want Osi back.

RoanokeFan
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
The Giants don't want Osi back. All options are open

radar-ray
03-15-2013, 10:34 AM
All options are open This!

GiantRoc
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Yeah anything could happen. I'm not sure Osi has an appetite for crow. After pissin and moanin about money, only to have to stay here would kill him. I wouldn't want him now. I think his attitude would suck as bad as ever.

radar-ray
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah anything could happen. I'm not sure Osi has an appetite for crow. After pissin and moanin about money, only to have to stay here would kill him. I wouldn't want him now. I think his attitude would suck as bad as ever. You may be right about not wanting to eat crow. On the other hand if he gets paid the same thing we would have given him somewhere else, he's still eating crow, just not here. I think he might go to the Falcons.

GiantRoc
03-15-2013, 11:59 AM
You may be right about not wanting to eat crow. On the other hand if he gets paid the same thing we would have given him somewhere else, he's still eating crow, just not here. I think he might go to the Falcons.

If he went to Atl, at least it would be fresh and fired to a golden brown. If he stayed here, he'd have to eat it raw.

DaKraken
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd take him back at the right price - perhaps he'll see the market and decide the grass isn't always greener (aka Aaron Ross). Say what you want but I think deep down he likes being a Giant and would want to stay. And frankly despite his flaws (run game) he'd help us.