PDA

View Full Version : Play Action Passing

nygiantblue
12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Obviously we've had one of the worst if not the worst rushing attacks in the league this year, but one thing I've noticed all year long is the lack of play action pass attempts. Even as our running game has picked it up the past few games, we're still avoiding play action. Im looking to find stats on how much play action we've run to backup that statement but am having trouble finding them. If you know where to find them please share.

It seems that if we're not in the no huddle/2 minute drill, we just run 5-7 step drops. Anyone else notice this? What's even crazier is the amount of big plays we've had despite the lack of play action. Our WRs are forced to beat their man and Eli must throw it perfectly to convert them (with some obvious exceptions). One poster mentioned that he felt that we never have any wide open receivers. I feel the same way and think the lack of the pa is a big reason why - were not even attempting to have safeties bite. I also think it's one of the reasons why we've struggled to score in the red zone (besides the fact that KG get's super conservative and has one redzone pass play - the FADE).

Do you think KG doesn't think the o line can hold their blocks that long? Do we not trust our backs to catch the ball out of the backfield? Bad run game = no play action? Cant really explain why this is. We used to run pa all the time and now all of a sudden we stop? Look at NO and GB. They run pa all the time and GB doesnt even have that great of a run game but they stick with it because it helps setup their passing offense. It be nice to have it complement ours, despite it being so late in the season.

burier
12-27-2011, 03:37 PM
So if you're not able to run the ball there's less opportunity for playaction.

There are still opportunites though. You can go play pass on first and second down even when the running game isn't working so well but the main reason we're not doing it as much is because in order for it to really be effective you need to get the running game going.

We've also found ourselves down alot which takes away the effectiveness of the playpass.

Also the offense line is pourous and mistake prone. If someone gonna run right passed Baas for instance you'd rather the Franchise not have his back turned to him.

giantsfan420
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
to be honest, we do run a lot of "play action" passes, i want to emphasize tho we run about the easiest play action for defenses to defend.

we constantly do that drop back, half *** fake at a hand off, most the times the rb has already left the attempt to take the ball to block a blitzer.

we really need to sell the play action better, and u do that by running the ball better, and really try to sell that "im about to hand it off" motion.

anyone else notice what im talking about? like we barely try to sell the PA, its just going thru the motions without really clamping down and having the OL and WR and RB sell it.

If we run better, we can get into that heavy set, really sell it PA and then it will have the defense bite. but if its more of the same with eli taking 4 steps turning to the rb as the "sell" of a run, it wont get defenses to bite.

its inexplicable too bc we used to be such a good play action team, i dunno if its bc the run game has sucked, but itd be nice if on sunday we can really sell some PA passes and get our wr's in behind the cowboys secondary

jakegibbs
12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Obviously we've had one of the worst if not the worst rushing attacks in the league this year, but one thing I've noticed all year long is the lack of play action pass attempts. Even as our running game has picked it up the past few games, we're still avoiding play action. Im looking to find stats on how much play action we've run to backup that statement but am having trouble finding them. If you know where to find them please share.

It seems that if we're not in the no huddle/2 minute drill, we just run 5-7 step drops. Anyone else notice this? What's even crazier is the amount of big plays we've had despite the lack of play action. Our WRs are forced to beat their man and Eli must throw it perfectly to convert them (with some obvious exceptions). One poster mentioned that he felt that we never have any wide open receivers. I feel the same way and think the lack of the pa is a big reason why - were not even attempting to have safeties bite. I also think it's one of the reasons why we've struggled to score in the red zone (besides the fact that KG get's super conservative and has one redzone pass play - the FADE).

Do you think KG doesn't think the o line can hold their blocks that long? Do we not trust our backs to catch the ball out of the backfield? Bad run game = no play action? Cant really explain why this is. We used to run pa all the time and now all of a sudden we stop? Look at NO and GB. They run pa all the time and GB doesnt even have that great of a run game but they stick with it because it helps setup their passing offense. It be nice to have it complement ours, despite it being so late in the season.

Kinda hard to play action pass on 3rd & 11 or worse from 2 minus yard rushes in a row. I can count 4 times against the Jets where 1st & 2nd down rushes netted minus yardage.

burier
12-27-2011, 03:55 PM
to be honest, we do run a lot of "play action" passes, i want to emphasize tho we run about the easiest play action for defenses to defend.

we constantly do that drop back, half *** fake at a hand off, most the times the rb has already left the attempt to take the ball to block a blitzer.

we really need to sell the play action better, and u do that by running the ball better, and really try to sell that "im about to hand it off" motion.

anyone else notice what im talking about? like we barely try to sell the PA, its just going thru the motions without really clamping down and having the OL and WR and RB sell it.

If we run better, we can get into that heavy set, really sell it PA and then it will have the defense bite. but if its more of the same with eli taking 4 steps turning to the rb as the "sell" of a run, it wont get defenses to bite.

its inexplicable too bc we used to be such a good play action team, i dunno if its bc the run game has sucked, but itd be nice if on sunday we can really sell some PA passes and get our wr's in behind the cowboys secondary

Yeah I mean one sets up the other. We're the worst rushing team in the league meaning no one is really going to respect a play fake.

Sometimes we get a really nice Play action fake on our first drive. Again down and distance can set up playaction aswell.

If we could run the ball more consistently we'd be a better play action team.